The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs nottinghamshire match thread

+7
Carrotdude
thegooch7
Fists of Fury
Shelsey93
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

surrey vs nottinghamshire match thread Empty surrey vs nottinghamshire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

Team Director Chris Adams has named a fourteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Nottinghamshire at the Kia Oval starting on Tuesday.
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship match against Nottinghamshire at the Kia Oval on Tuesday 4th September, Wednesday 5th September, Thursday 6th September and Friday 7th September:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Rory Burns
Zafar Ansari
Arun Harinath
Kevin Pietersen
Zander de Bruyn
Jason Roy
Steven Davies
Gary Wilson
Stuart Meaker
Murali Kartik
Jon Lewis
Chris Jordan
Tim Linley
davies for wilson i would assume the only change from the somerset game,
the brain picks himself Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs nottinghamshire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs nottinghamshire match thread

Post by guildfordbat Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

Hi JimBob - I think you're probably right about the team. However, always difficult to be certain.

Wilson scored almost 60 runs against Somerset for once out. Given the Brain's and Roy's recent form, that could put him in contention for a batting place. Be rather fun to start a CC match with three wicket keepers!

I would prefer the Viscount to Lewis but doubt that Adams will chop and change there again.

Once more there is no sane reason for Jordan playing.

Did you know that Hales and Lumb are playing the first two days of this match for Notts before joining up with the England t20 squad when two replacements take over from them? That may be allowed by the rules but the ECB don't seem to be applying them very consistently!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

surrey vs nottinghamshire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs nottinghamshire match thread

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:52 pm

guildfordbat wrote: Did you know that Hales and Lumb are playing the first two days of this match for Notts before joining up with the England t20 squad when two replacements take over from them? That may be allowed by the rules but the ECB don't seem to be applying them very consistently!

I wonder if there are any actual or "moral" rules about replacement. It could be useful to replace a pace bowler with a spinner half way through a match.... Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

Right team news in Wilson keeps the gloves
And linley replaces Lewis can't think who will be happy about that Wink
surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:40 am

It is usual for replacements to be named before the start of the match, but more unusual that the fact that the players will leave the team mid-match has already been confirmed (often this rule would be applied for a player returning from England duty after being left out of the final XI, or called up as injury cover at the last minute)

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

Poor start for Surrey. Surely they can't keep relying on Pietersen? Even he won't come off every time.

Still, he's in now, and they'll be hoping he makes a few.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm

Morning all! Another dreadful start after winning the toss.............and the tail starts with Brain these days!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:05 pm

And there you have it, like I said, KP falls for 15 and Surrey are in trouble.

Gurney on fire this morning.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:06 pm

It gets better, Pietersen's gone now!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm

Presumably fairly tough batting conditions, given that nobody has managed to get themselves in yet.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
And linley replaces Lewis can't think who will be happy about that Wink

Indeed.

Lewis certainly isn't terrible but he's looking more and more like an unnecessary signing with his best days behind him.

A fine line perhaps between buying an experienced county pro or a has been.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

Dreadful state of affairs at the moment.

Fists is spot on about our over reliance on Pietersen. If it hadn't been for his first innings 160 plus at Taunton, we would have been all out for about 140 and really up against it then as well.

Appears we'll be looking for Warks and Middlesex to do us favours in their matches against Worcs and Lancs. Worcs already seem out of it but Lancs are putting up a spirited performance and already have one bowling point ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm

And to think he wouldn't even have been playing had he not fallen out with England...Surrey could have been in a very sticky situation.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

Churchy (Radio London cricket commentator and friend of all connected with Surrey) has just reported that Stuart Meaker was awarded his county cap at lunchtime. clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:32 pm

Roy gone now Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm

155 - 5 at tea.

Unspectacular but steady recovery being undertaken by the Brain and Wilson.

Meanwhile, at Lord's, Dexter and the Ice Man appear to be turning things round for Middlesex against our relegation rivals Lancs. From positions of 4 - 2 and then 39 - 3, Middlesex are 239 - 5 at tea.

Worcs already seem lined up for one of the drop places. All out at lunch for a pathetic 60 against Warks who are currently 104 - 0.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:36 pm

Meant to add that it'll be good to get to stumps with no more than 6 down - although I somehow doubt it!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:46 pm

i do love the scorecard having the viscount coming in before meaker and kartik Laugh Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

50 for the brain clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:13 pm

Brain and Wilson have now put on over 100 for the 6th wicket which is fantastic after a pretty terrible start once again. More good news is that Middlesex are currently going well against Lancs at 272/5 and Worcs are being hammered by Warks.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:15 pm

50 for wilson clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

50 for Wilson as well. He seems to do well every time he plays these days, unlucky to not have played more this season given our batting woes but he has missed out due to international commitments quite a lot.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:39 pm

Carrotdude wrote:50 for Wilson as well. He seems to do well every time he plays these days, unlucky to not have played more this season given our batting woes but he has missed out due to international commitments quite a lot.

Hi carrot - spot on.

I mentioned last night that I thought Wilson had a small chance of playing but, if so, expected it to be at the expense of a batsman rather than Davies. A gutsy decision by Adams to leave Davies out (I'm assuming he's not injured); fair enough in my view - talented though he is, Davies hasn't been up to much this season and Wilson stood in pretty well last time out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

Brain out for 71 and Wilson for 68, the end could be nugh but hopefully we can at least get up to 250, currently 219/7. 7 batsman route has been very much justified by that 6th wicket partnership.

Must be a spin friendly pitch as our bowling consists of Meaker, Linley and 2 spinners.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

Aaaagggghhhhh!!!

The old Boycott comment is once more proved true - that when the batting side look at the scoreboard they should add on two more wickets fallen before rushing to a view as to how well they're doing.

From 200 plus - 5 and appearing at first sight to look in good shape, we fall to 219 - 7 and look in trouble ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Sep 2012, 5:05 pm

make it 8 now

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue 04 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

How soon 8 becomes 9! We could really do with a second batting point.

Just noticed that one of the umpires is Tim Robinson, ex- Notts. I've noticed before that we've had Trevor Jesty umpiring. This sort of thing wouldn't happen in any other sport.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

240 - 9.

A game within a game to get a second batting point that might be so crucial ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Sep 2012, 5:41 pm

242 for 9 at stumps
those 8 runs in the morning might be so vital

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

A decent middle session for us thanks to the Brain and Wilson but the first and third belonged to Notts.

Hard to really judge the state of the match until Notts bat but I don't think it looks too good. Disappointing that once more too many batsmen got out soon after they had appeared to have done the hard work and reached double figures.

The day probably seems better for us thanks to Worcs' total incompetence and the Middle's strong fightback against Lancs. However, we shouldn't allow that to let us think we're doing better than we are ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm

Worcs look completely shot. With a good weather forecast they are almost certain to lose. They will take a maximum of 3 points for the match - possibly only two. Middlesex position certainly not invincible yet - but they definitely have the upper hand against Lancs and there is a chance that Lancs may miss out on a bowling point.

Good recovery by the Brain and Wilson. The only other positive for Surrey is that we hung on in for a whole day which potentially could increase the prospects for our spinners having a total to defend in the second innings on a somewhat wearing pitch. Pleased that Meaker got his county cap today clap Well deserved despite his occasionally erratic performances. He has quietly become our no 1 frontline fast bowler. We really could do with a big performance from him tomorrow to at least keep the first innings totals at approximately parity...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:36 pm

clap ... reflecting on state of affairs...to me it seems likely that we'll "just" have to avoid defeat in our last match against Lancs.... Although not impossible, it will be hard for Lancs to beat Middx... and provided we get a couple of bowling points... even if we lose this match, provided Lancs don't win... we'll just have to avoid defeat against Lancs... I know its not a great state of affairs to be relying on others... but... However, all is not lost for us in this match... a good bowling performance and we could be in business! Very Happy

however, i still think it will go down to the wire next week! maybe we should start our rain dances now! I always think that supporting West Ham and Surrey is never a good thing for one's blood pressure...always lots of highs and lows... and very rarely mid table obscurity Shocked

congrats to Meaker... thoroughly deserved... one of the few bright points this season

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

I look forward to the match reports of Jimmy Taylor's inevitable Day 2 hundred from the Surrey point of view tomorrow... Very Happy

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm

JDizzle wrote:I look forward to the match reports of Jimmy Taylor's inevitable Day 2 hundred from the Surrey point of view tomorrow... Very Happy

Last year when Jimmy was playing for Leics, I saw Batty bowl him just before lunch for not very many - just saying .... idea

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:03 am

guildfordbat wrote:
JDizzle wrote:I look forward to the match reports of Jimmy Taylor's inevitable Day 2 hundred from the Surrey point of view tomorrow... Very Happy

Last year when Jimmy was playing for Leics, I saw Batty bowl him just before lunch for not very many - just saying .... idea

Shocked

Well, that can mean only one thing; Gareth Batty is a Test standard spinner. king

One of my favourite Taylor innings was against Surrey, where he dug in for a glorious 50 on an absolute minefield, I think at the Oval! Fond memories. I am sure he will make some more tomorrow!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:50 am

Meaker hits a four 2nd batting point got Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:15 am

269 all out.

I think all Surrey supporters would be happy with that given the score at the end of yesterday. As JimBob says a 2nd batting point - and then a few runs on top.

Now what can the bowlers do?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

Curses!!!

Lancs just manage to get a third bowling point. Mind you, Middlesex are 427 - 9. Very hard to see Lancs winning from there.

Looking increasingly like us drawing next week against Lancs will keep us in Division One. However, a defeat will probably send us down ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:16 pm

JDizzle wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Shocked

Well, that can mean only one thing; Gareth Batty is a Test standard spinner. king

One of my favourite Taylor innings was against Surrey, where he dug in for a glorious 50 on an absolute minefield, I think at the Oval! Fond memories. I am sure he will make some more tomorrow!

Jimmy Taylor lbw to 'Viscount' Tim Linley for 12 in the over before lunch.

I'll leave JDizzle to adjudicate on whether that makes the Viscount a Test standard seamer. Wink

JD - for such a little fellow, Taylor seems mighty keen to get to the lunch table! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:07 pm

Currently a 70 partnership for Notts 6th wicket. I'm not going to say we always let teams off the hook but....

Admittedly we did the same but it's disappointing nonetheless especially as one guy is playing only his second match and batting for the first time.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Currently a 70 partnership for Notts 6th wicket. I'm not going to say we always let teams off the hook but....

Admittedly we did the same but it's disappointing nonetheless especially as one guy is playing only his second match and batting for the first time.

Carrot - thanks for the info update about Sam Wood. I now feel more comfortable about not recognising the name. A name I do know though is Chris Read - yet again, he's doing well against us. A real fighter with ability as well.

A real see-saw game. Sessions 1, 3 and 5 to Notts with 2 and 4 to us. Given session 4 (today's morning session) was heavily in our favour, the match is probably now about evenly poised ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:52 pm

Kartik gets Wood out straight after tea, need to make sure we get a decent lead here

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

viscount bowls white with a jaffa Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:39 pm

Just out of interest, how come Ansari never gets to bowl in the Championship?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:55 pm

no idea dave must be worth a try

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:56 pm

kartik strikes 8 down

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:57 pm

King Dave - the answer seems to be Nobody Knows!

I guess it's something to do with Kartik and Batty being numbers one and two in the slow bowler CC pecking order plus Ansari currently being asked to concentrate on his batting.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:02 pm

Why are we mucking about with Brain bowling? Get Meaker on to blast the last two out!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:06 pm

mad steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:20 pm

Is Meaker injured? He's only bowled 12 overs and now Ansari is bowling at the tail!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next