The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview with Samoa Joe

4 posters

Go down

Interview with Samoa Joe Empty Interview with Samoa Joe

Post by Adam D Fri 07 Sep 2012, 6:37 pm

This week I [crips] had the opportunity to take part in a TNA conference call with Samoa Joe, ahead of the weekends No Surrender pay-per-view, which will be shown free of charge on Challenge TV next Wednesday.

At that event, Joe is expected to be part of the semi finals of the Bound For Glory series, where the number one contender is determined for the world title match at the company's biggest night of the year, October's Bound For Glory.

A relative veteran of the TNA locker room, Joe was part of an elite group that came up through the independent scene with the advent of Ring of Honor. Joe and his contemporaries Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and Austin Aries have gone on to incredible success in the 'big two' promotions, with all enjoying world title success in either WWE or TNA. A number of the questions focused on this success, and Joe was forthright in saying that he never doubted the group would make it to the very top given their abilities.

Known for his frankness and honesty, it was interesting to hear Joe talk about the way he has been presented in TNA. I was pleased to find myself agreeing with most of his opinions, and I appreciated his openness. For example he made it clear that he much prefers being no-nonsense, butt-kicking Joe to partaking in kidnapping storylines and the like! In addition, he spoke of how the Bound For Glory series has been much improved from last year's tournament, which Joe admits left a lot to be desired.

I was able to speak to Joe a couple of times. First, I noted that this is the second main event push he's received in TNA, and asked what he needs to do to ensure he stays at the top this time. As a follow up, I asked if he had any idea what TNA had planned for him in the coming weeks and months (without giving away spoilers). Joe's answer suggested to me that he wishes the writing team would be a little less 'dynamic', as he put it!

Later I asked how long Joe intends to continue wrestling, given that he has already achieved so much at a relatively young age, by wrestling standards. I thought he gave a really good answer. As a follow up, I asked whether he would be willing to cope with the schedule and the pressure should TNA decide to go with him as 'the man'. This may seem like a stupid question, but I wanted to know if Joe had reached a comfort zone in TNA, or whether he still had the determination to get to the very top. Again, I really enjoyed his answer.

My impression of Joe is that he has a very smart mind for wrestling. He knows what works and what doesn't work for his character. He is able to identify the aspects of his career which have been particularly good (for example he spoke proudly of the famous triple threat match with AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels) and bad (that pesky kidnapping angle).

I think Joe has all the tools to stay at the top this time: he understands his character, he's excellent in the ring and on the mic, and he's got an aura and charisma about him that few wrestlers can match. As someone who enjoys good wrestling, I hope he does manage to stay there!

The interview can be heard - http://v2journal.com/interview-with-samoa-joe.html

Don't forget to watch No Surrender on Challenge next Wednesday at 10pm.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Interview with Samoa Joe Empty Re: Interview with Samoa Joe

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 09 Sep 2012, 3:45 pm

Nice article.

I'm a big fan of Joe. You can pretty much guarantee any match he's involved in will be very watchable. As heel characters go he is very likeable and you always know what to expect from him.

Haven't heard him on the mic too often, but when he does speak, he comes across as pretty astute and exactly how you'd expect him to, for his character.

I'd say he is one of TNA's biggest assets and shouldn't get pushed down to midcard / occasional appearances. The guy is versatile, can wrestle single, or in a tag team, has some great moves for a big guy and also excels at "on the mat" stuff.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 09 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

Joe has been one of my favourites ever since he moved to TNA. His streak was immense. Joe is a very agile big man and has one of the best movesets in the business. I really hope he stays around the main event and is even given another world title run at some point - he deserves to be at the top after everything he's given to TNA.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 09 Sep 2012, 5:19 pm

Joe is a brilliant character, always has been, I've made no bones about telling people he's the closest thing I've seen to an Austin type character since 2001, I love the way he's a lone wolf, when he shows some respect to someone I feel it means something

Joe has that air of invincibility about himat times but also the air of defiance and a bit of the Austin DTA attitude, you know he'll take out a face as quickly as he'll take out a heel if he feels threatened, I like that

TNA started to slide in 08 when he dropped the title and was pushed down the card

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down