The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf on Cape Cod

+2
Plunky
AGolfingGuy
6 posters

Go down

Golf on Cape Cod Empty Golf on Cape Cod

Post by AGolfingGuy Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 pm

So I'm heading over there in a few weeks for a three weeks and am bring my trusty sticks with me!

Just inquiring if anyone has played over there and could point me in the direction of some good or interesting courses?

AGolfingGuy

Back to top Go down

Golf on Cape Cod Empty Re: Golf on Cape Cod

Post by Plunky Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:30 pm

You lucky guy ! We love playing golf on cape cod (we have family in Chatham).
Highly recommend the following (all of them open to the public).
captains course in brewster ( actually two courses there called port and starboard), Dennis highlands and Dennis pines ( both in Dennis), bass river and bayberry in Yarmouth. All of those are well maintained parkland courses. If you want a links feel, bayberry actually has two courses, one of which is links style ( but the links one may be 9 holes, not too sure). Truro is further down the cape and has a fun nine hole course with ocean views. Almost forgot, there's also cranberry course in harwich. Really, you're spoiled for choice ! Some of the best times we've had on the cape have been in late september/ October after all the summer tourists have gone home. I'm very envious. where are you staying?

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Plunky,

Is that Cranberry Valley in Harwich? Played there many years ago, 36 holes if I remember, and a very reasonable public course and great golfing facility. Highly recommended by moi.

Also played New Seabury in Falmouth; very demanding, for me anyway, links-ish course. Much more expensive and probably better for strong players - can be very windy but enjoyable on a nice calm day!

A lovely time of year if you have any luck at all with the weather. Super seafood at almost every turn. Enjoy yourselves!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by AGolfingGuy Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Ah brilliant guys, cheers for the replies!

I'm staying in a house in the area of the Chatham-Harwich border. From looking at google maps, Cranberry Valley golf course looks only to be right around the corner and ,after checking reviews out on the internet, it seems to have a great name as a fun layout that is very well maintined but not too tricky so I'll definitely give that a go!
And Plucky, cheers for the list. Funnily I was over there a few years ago but unfortunately at the time had no clubs and couldnt make much time for golf anyway. On one occasion however that year I managed to slip out on Bass River golf course with rented clubs from the pro shop (I remember being awfully pleased that the rented clubs were Callaway woods and Titlesit AP1 irons!!!) and i thought the course was fantastic fun, wasn't overly long but well kept with nice greens!

Another thing i was wondering is what time it gets dark at over there. I'll be heading over on the 20th Sept and coming back here to Ireland on the 13th of October so I was trying to gauge if afternoon rounds would let me get a full 18 in!..which is what I'm after obviously!

Unfortunately not much of a seafood eater, but i'll tr4y force some into me! It would be a shame not to!

AGolfingGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Sunset at Harwich tonight is just after 7.00 p.m. and you'll lose about three minutes of evening daylight every two days at this time of year.

So afternoon rounds teeing off by 2.00 p.m. should be OK.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Eastward ho looks amazing;

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/eastward-ho/
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:25 am

Yep, but it's private. You have to know someone who's really someone to play there. We don't know anyone like that !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by AGolfingGuy Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Cheers kwin!

Eastward Ho looks stunning!! Their site's not very informative but if they dont allow guests like plukys says, then it doesn't really matter! Gorgeous layout!

AGolfingGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Was in Cape Cod, about this time last year. Did not get any golf in, apart from crazy golf! But was a very nice place. The Lobster Pot in Provincetown, is recommended!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Ive visited all of those places mentioned unfortunately the ones in this country
Sounds good

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 am

Just spoke with my brother-in-law who lives in Chatham. His recommendations (all close to you) are cranberry valley, captains course, Dennis pines, and dennis highlands. He thinks that if you liked bass river then you'll love these courses. He also said he'd be happy to hook up and play golf with you if you'd like some company. He's retired and always looking for an excuse to hit the golf course. I'll email you his name and phone number. No pressure --- he won't be offended if he doesn't hear from you -- but i'm sure you'd enjoy his company. Smile

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by AGolfingGuy Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah excited about the golf now! Will head to the range for the last time tomorrow to try iron out some things last minute before i go! Cheers for all the advice gents, i'll be sure to have a look at all the courses mentioned and ill report back! I'll have a fair bit of family duties over there Plunky so I mnight only be free at certain times but i'll pm you my email address although i cant promise! Have a good day everyone!

AGolfingGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down