The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Italian Open

+14
GPB
Faldono1fan
themightyone
EmmDee57
Skydriver
George1507
dynamark
hend085
McLaren
pedro
delToro87
twoeightnine
kwinigolfer
princedracula
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

European Tour - Italian Open - Page 2 Empty European Tour - Italian Open

Post by princedracula Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:29 am

First topic message reminder :

The Italian Open is this year the last stop of the European Tour show before the Ryder Cup and it will be the last competitive event for three of the European team members: Martin Kaymer, Nicolas Colsaerts and local boy, Franny Molinari. Kaymer's performance last week at the KLM Open started with a great first round, but continued with three pretty average rounds for what it would be expected from him. We can only hope that this last hop in Italy will provide some real spark and solid result that would give him that much needed boost of confidence before the event.

The Italian Open was always one of those events that has been struggling for a long time at the 24 OWGR point limit in terms of field strength, and although I was hoping for even better things this year, it has to be noted that this will be the strongest field seen here for quite a while...

Spoiler:

Last year's winner was, of course, Robert Rock, a result that represented his maiden ET win and sparked the begining of a great run for the Englishman, although it has to be said, he's gone very quiet over the last few months. Hard to ignore here the ever increasing contingent of very good Italian golfers, led by the Molinari brothers and Matteo. Franny has won already his home event in 2006 and will be one of the men to beat again this year, but I will be particularly interested this week to watch his brother Edoardo, returning for the first time after a long injury break, and a golfer whom I missed seeing on the tour over the past year or so. Matteo Manassero will be once again very keen to get his form back and what better place to do that than here at home. Among other former winners who are playing here this week are Andersson-Hed of Sweden (who also got his maiden win here in Italy in 2010) and Gonzo (2007), both of them showing some signs of good form recently...

And talking of Edoardo Molinari, a mention also here for the very exotic and very lucrative Kazahstan Open taking place this week on the Challenge Tour. Eddi is a former winner of that event and Tommy Fleetwood's win there last year all but sealed his main ET card.

Unfortunately, will finish this with some very bad news coming through this morning for the European Tour: the Andalucia Masters, traditionally held at Valderama for so many years and won in great style by Sergio Garcia last year, has been cancelled for 2012!!! Sad This must be a big shock to the (ET) 'system', although not so much of a surprise anymore considering how tough things have been lately all around Europe. We can only hope that this will be only a temporary hiccup and that this wonderful event held on that wonderful course which is Valderama, will return very soon on the ET calendar...

Last edited by princedracula on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Italian Open - Page 2 Empty Re: European Tour - Italian Open

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

Interesting, 174th in the FE points list is leading the Italian Open.

What does that say about depth of the Euro Tour vs PGATour?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 15 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

GPB wrote:Interesting, 174th in the FE points list is leading the Italian Open.

What does that say about depth of the Euro Tour vs PGATour?
What does it say...? He's #113 in the RtD (no top 25 in 11 events this year in Europe), so most likely it's simply saying that he's finally having a good week... After that win last year at home in South Africa, had a pretty quiet year wherever he played...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:02 pm

But he DID finish ahead of Dustin, Webbo, Rickie, Phil, Tiger, Sneds, as well as many non-RC'pers in the Cadillac earlier this year.

He's been a nearly man for some time now, putted lights out today . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:17 pm

GPB,
I know where you're aiming... Many ET fields are quite dodgy, bordering embarassing. But to be honest, the field this week is not too bad. And as kwini says, anybody with a good week can win a big tournament.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm

FWIW, Everybody that finished beat Tiger at the Cadillac. A t29 is nothing to brag about.

One top 25 on the PGAT all year with a bunch of trunk slammers.

Richard S Johnson won the Nordea Masters in 2010 and did not finish in the top 125 of the PGATour in that year.

I have no idea what this means so I cannot respond to it. "a nearly man"

"...He's been a nearly man for some time now..."

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

Someone who's been likely to break through for a while, but hasn't quite done it yet, may never.

NCAA All-American, good mini-tour record, 2nd on Sunshine Tour oom, Nationwide wins. In fact, even his Tour stats aren't bad, except for apalling scrambling/sand stats, 73rd in all-round.

It's tough out there! For every Garth Mulroy, there's a Ted Potter/Troy Kelly playing off in a tournament where Phil and Tiger missed the cut, the Olympic winner blew up!!

Anyway, Mulroy played really well today. Tomorrow? Who knows??

PS: Johnson running out of courses on which he can be competitive on either Tour; not surprising his only win was Milwaukee.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:49 pm

Kwini, your not understanding my point. I realize that a player might have good week and get into contention on the PGATour, a la Ted Potter.

But Garth had all year to do something on the PGATour. And did just a little bit more than nothing. There are about 185 full time players on Tour, and he finished 174th. Add in the non members, and his record is even worse. The Blind Hog never found an acorn on the PGAT.

And then goes to the Euro Tour, and is LEADING. May or may not win tomorrow Few of their best players, but most of the journeyman are playing.

IMO, it lends some credence to Overton's statment about having wins on the Euro Tour if he was playing over there.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

Just like Ted Potter!

Perhaps Mulroy has under-achieved, perhaps he just doesn't quite have what it takes, and nothing wrong with that, plenty of good players slip in to that category. I'm just suggesting I think he's better than that - without a shred of evidence that can't be found in his bio.

Overton could try the European Tour anytime he fancied it - maybe he'd enjoy it like his Boom Baby buddy Bubba liked France last year.
Maybe he'd embrace it - but as he hasn't won in the States in his five or six years, I seriously doubt he'd take Europe by storm. And I'm an Overton fan!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:02 pm

GPB wrote:Kwini, your not understanding my point. I realize that a player might have good week and get into contention on the PGATour, a la Ted Potter.

But Garth had all year to do something on the PGATour. And did just a little bit more than nothing. There are about 185 full time players on Tour, and he finished 174th. Add in the non members, and his record is even worse. The Blind Hog never found an acorn on the PGAT.

And then goes to the Euro Tour, and is LEADING. May or may not win tomorrow Few of their best players, but most of the journeyman are playing.

IMO, it lends some credence to Overton's statment about having wins on the Euro Tour if he was playing over there.
He's also leading a field including Colsaerts, who has been in contention on more than one occasion in the US recently... as Kwini says he's been showing signs of improved form, perhaps his "week" just happened to coincide with a week when he was playing in Europe. Anyway, he's had a poor season this year, but I'd be confident in saying that he's overall a better player than Potter. Sometimes a dubious player has a lucky week, sometimes a good player doesn't get the breaks all year

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:25 am

RRocky 8 birdies and 4 pars after 12 holes! A bit late but good to see he still has it in there somewhere... And as I was hoping, Franny seems to be getting his mojo back pretty quick after yesterday's stumble...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:31 am

They're tearing apart that course in Turin this morning...
This could turn out to be a great send off to Medinah for Olly and his team!
Francesco sizzling again today, Colsaerts and Kaymer in contention, so no surprise to see Olly himself buzzing with confidence and scoring one of his best rounds in years... -7 for Jose Maria today, showing that if any of his lot will have a bad day at the Ryder Cup, he could step in himself and still do the business...

What's up with Scottish golf lately? Scott Henry is the man to beat in Kazahstan with a few holes to go with Andrew McArthur just a couple of shots behind him (I see that Scott managed two consecutive eagles in the first round). Meanwhile, Scott Jamieson is carving through the Italian leaderboard, while Mark Warren is in a nice position for a good finish today...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

Any idea why the scores are so low?
Looks like par is about 68 today.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:46 am

Albatross from Gary Boyd at the 8th.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm

Goldwolf will be pleased about that!

And here's Phillip Price with a strong performance, until his first hole today: starting with a double-bogey. Dropped 26 places!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm

Seems that the course has got progressively easier through the week:

Rd1 70.84
Rd2 70.42
Rd3 69.94
Rd4 68.34 (so far)

The other thing at work here (I think) is that the back 9 is harder than the front 9 by ~1.5 strokes, so expect that Rd 4 average to move up a bit as the round ends... One way or another, it's obviously a pretty easy course for these guys...

Bad blow for RCB at the 1st hole as well...

Meanwhile we're at the 2nd playoff hole in Kazahstan between Henry (SCO) and Bacher (AUT)...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm

That could be the shot that keeps his card kwini!! Needs a top 5 at least, lost of birdies out there but if he can get to -18 then he has a real chance

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:39 pm

pd thumbsup

gw,
Thought you'd be getting in your pie and pint at Molyneux? Three points would be as good as an albatross right now . . . . (Terrible result for PFC yesterday, I know!)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm

I know its early, but I have no confidence in this new guy, well not just yet anyway! I can see a draw today, all very depressing!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

But Fletcher looked good yesterday!

Four South Africans in the Torino top ten.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:51 pm

Our players usually look great after leaving!! especially when playing us! ha ha

Looks like Gary's hit the wall, if there is one in golf!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 16 Sep 2012, 1:38 pm

Woww!! What a 2nd shot from Nicolas at the par 5 8th. Almost a tap in for eagle which should bring him tied for the lead!!

Average score already moved up by ~0.5 shots since last count.

Goo Shane !!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm

Where's "Drive 4 Show"?
One time leader Stoneham's Richard Bland +3 for the front nine. The sort of score that lost cards are made of.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 1:51 pm

Job done for Gary Boyd (and so far for Wolves) - he'll make a big cheque even if not quite enough.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 2:46 pm

If only Jeff Overton had come over...........he'd surely be -30 at this stage!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

Think we need some of Larrazabal's emotion at Medinah - perhaps he could be another Vice Captain?
Very contrasting Spanish golfers in the last two groups . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

John Cregan wrote:If only Jeff Overton had come over...........he'd surely be -30 at this stage!!

Laugh thumbsup OK

That fat lump has still not won a tournament yet? I can't see him winning one either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

Looks like he all but secured his 3rd consecutive top 10 and 4th top 15 in as many weeks...
Happy Birthday, Anders Hansen!!! 42-years young today...

Great blow-for-blow match between the two at the top...

A win for Scott Henry in Kazahstan, moving him straight to top 5 in the CT rankings and a very nice €64,000 cheque to come with it.

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:56 pm

Bellissimmooo Matteoo!!

Mulroy got himself in a dreadful spot at the 17th, can he fix it...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 4:15 pm

This has been great entertainment, terrific sportsmanship and think I spotted Mulroy trying to smile.
Warren Humphreys has Gonzo up to 35th in the owgr's. But; Has he checked with princedrac?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 16 Sep 2012, 4:29 pm

No he hasn't checked with me... silly mistake on his behalf Wink
#35 is reserved for Nicolas, Gonzo moves up 'only' to #37...
Great final round and well done Gonzo!

Top 93 in the rankings are now known, only a couple of customers left who can affect the lower end of the top 100. Problem is one of them won't be known until tomorrow as the Taiwanese event has been not only cut down to 54 holes, but pushed into a Monday finish as well by a local taifun...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:41 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Job done for Gary Boyd (and so far for Wolves) - he'll make a big cheque even if not quite enough.
Some much needed euros but not quite enough yet, R2D rank looking better than before todays result sitting at 110, should make the last few tournaments very interesting indeed! Dunhill Links is one of his favourite events, so I think he'll finish the job off there.

.......and a much needed 3 points, though didn't see anything that makes me think anything other than we are going to be a mid table team at best this season.

thumbsup

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 16 Sep 2012, 8:50 pm

Seve's son Javier wins the "Amateur Madrid Open". Not sure how it is Open and Amateur at the same time, but whatever, Congrats to Javier.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:21 pm

Well, Espana can't afford prize money these days so it's one and the same anyway!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:23 am

Goldie I didnt make the Wolves connection.
LCFC playing some reasonable stuff but nobody finding the nett.
63 for RRock in round 4 hope that will give him a lift.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:45 pm

dyna,
I'll always associate LCFC with the Dad's Army crew of the Frank Worthington/Birchenall era - used to love watching them play. (Pity Rock doesn't have anywhere to play until the Dunhill - his 63-touch may have cooled down by then . . . . )

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

Always seemed a mad time of year to play Dunhill. Can be bloody freezing up here then.

Wouldn't there be an appetite for it in the summer? Tourists lap St.Andrews up then, but the place is deserted in October.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:39 pm

Kwini.Dont start me on those characters.Proper footballers six pints of Guiness after the game and a smoke at half time.I had the dubious pleasure of a few nights out with those boys back in the day.Cant recall too much!
Wortho,Birch,Jon Sammels,the great and sadly passed Kieth Weller.Chris Garland,Nish ,Shilton,Whitworth.we had 4 in an England team one night.the Birch is a club ambassador,does the announcements and has raised over £1m for charity.Frank I saw at a pro celeb golf do in Chester last year,looking pretty fit and in good from with the speeches.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:45 pm

dyna,
Saw David Nish in a Major Indoor Soccer League game once in Dallas. Roger Davies and Alan Hudson in the same game!
Used to watch Weller and Possee patrol the touchlines for Millwall, with Barry Kitchener (think Lord Kitch just died also) and the great Harry Cripps behind them!
Saw a BBC programme about Birch taking children on a Tour of the Club a year or five ago - seemed everyone there was in love with him. Sheff Utd an underrated breeding ground for footie greats . . . . .
Frank was truly ahead of his time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:41 pm

Nish was connected with the club coaching.Frank used to do a thing running out when he would let the ball drop to his back foot then flicked it up off the other leg and over his head to collect running forward.I spent years trying to copy! Kieth Weller retired to Seattle and the club led by Birchs sponsored rium raised many thousands to help with his treatment

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2