The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Winner 2012

+4
CaledonianCraig
User 774433
invisiblecoolers
carrieg4
8 posters

Go down

US Open Winner 2012 Empty US Open Winner 2012

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm

So he has finally done it! Many of us have been watching and waiting, going through agonies of nerves at three of the four majors every year only to be denied yet again. Each time we had the same questions: Will this be his time? Can he do it? Will he have yet another Nadal semi?

I have dreamed about this moment but strangely feel slightly deflated. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I thought there would be a sense of relief, of closure but it has just left me hungering for more. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy for him and that the painful 76 years has finally ended but I am still waiting for more.

I have tried to work out why and believe the answer is that he has not yet reached his full potential. He is already an exceptional player but his career has shown glimpses of what he could be, passages of play where it seems he can do no wrong. To have only three players in the world that you are expected to lose to is remarkable indeed but I still feel he is capable of more. He has spent the last couple of years in no-mans land. Consistently far better than all those below him but not quite able to reach the heights of those above him. This victory together with the Olympic Gold have shown his increased confidence in his own abilities, something that may have been lacking in the past.

So what does it mean? Do I think he is capable of a Djokovic style tear? Why not? Do I think he will? Probably not, but it won't stop me watching every match and following his career just to see those (admittedly rare) moments where everything comes together and he makes the game we all love look as easy as breathing.

That is why I am a Andy Murray fan and why I will probably never feel truly relaxed.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

US Open Winner 2012 Empty Re: US Open Winner 2012

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:04 pm

I note you're on your 999th post - so I just want to congratulate you on your soon to be joining of the "post-1000 club" OK

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:05 pm

And here it is! Woo Hoo - I am now in triple figures Very Happy

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:07 pm

carrieg4 wrote:And here it is! Woo Hoo - I am now in triple figures Very Happy
Two great milestones in two days clap clap

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

When I wrote an article that Murray will be No.1 sooner or later many found it funny, but I see Murray will be going higher and higher, already at no.3 most likely to become No.2 after AO.

With all Veterans reitring [Roddick, Ferrero etc,..] I see Hewitt retire after AO 2013 and that will make Federer comtemplate his own, and once he is gone Murray will make to the no.1.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Congrats Carrieg Very Happy

I am nearing 3000 posts on here soon, on 2942!

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:When I wrote an article that Murray will be No.1 sooner or later many found it funny, but I see Murray will be going higher and higher, already at no.3 most likely to become No.2 after AO.

With all Veterans reitring [Roddick, Ferrero etc,..] I see Hewitt retire after AO 2013 and that will make Federer comtemplate his own, and once he is gone Murray will make to the no.1.
Aiming to achieve (and maintain) the No 1 position should keep Murray focussed for the next few years.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Yup NS, and Murray like the other 2 would not face much pressure being the hunted coz he knows how difficult it has been to reach tat position.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 pm

To be honest Nore Staat I'd sooner he concentrated on slam wins. If he does that then the other (The No.1 slot) will come to him at some point. The question bandied around in the media at the moment is how many slams can Andy win? Well I'd say he has at least five possibly six years left before age begins to take its toll so that is 24 slams. I don't think it is unfair to say that perhaps Roger has a maximum of two more years of being competitive in slams . Rafa Nadal hopefully will be back firing on all cylinders soon and will be a force for a few years to come as will Novak Djokovic but those aside can anyone see another challenger coming on the scene to start to challenge for and win slams? If not then that leaves a lot of slams to divide between three players over the next five to six years. As we stand at the moment Andy Murray is on an upward curve in his career, Rafas (owing to his injury) you'd have to say is on a downward curve for now, Roger Federer is flatlining at the moment as is Novak Djokovic but whereas with Fed age is against him, Djoko still has a number of years left in him. The signs are good if you are an Andy Murray fan just now and with a massive over-dose of self-belief I expect the upward curve to continue.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:23 pm

notworthy carrie

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Quadruple, in fact.

Newbie Wink
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:34 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Quadruple, in fact.

Whoops Erm

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Carrie - I was really happy after he won the first set, delirious after he won the second, worried stiff when he lost the third, but strangely calm after he lost the fourth.... The swing in momentum actually happened in the middle of that fourth set for me. Suddenly from looking tired and unsure what to do, Murray suddenly found a second wind and a calm came over him and he started being really aggressive and moving Novak around the court.

Novak held on to make it 2-2, but the momentum had switched. In pushing him around towards the end of that fourth, he'd sapped a tonne of energy from him. As soon as he broke in that first game I thought for the first time "he's going to do it" and I actually enjoyed the last 6 or so games.

My fiancé screamed with joy when he won it, and had a tear in her eye as Andy dropped to his knees and covered his mouth in disbelief. I felt that relief at the start of the fifth as I was convinced then he was going to do it. It was really enjoyable.

Where now for Andy? I don't think we'll see a Novak style streak, and I think he's got a chance in Melbourne... But the one I really fancy him for next year is Wimbledon. After the support he got there last year, I believe he'll want that one the most and I think he could win 2 or 3 wimbledons.

Overall I would say 5 or 6 slams. Of course, he might not win another one... But he's a grand slam champion now and that can't be removed from the record books, and I'm so chuffed for him for that.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:32 pm

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:10 am

I like how murray was so expectant and reserved when he won. He acted like about fcuking time so what. That shows how much belief he has in his ability. Lendl may have been a genius selection. You just don't mess with lendl, he is a very serious man with so much credentials.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 am

Car4 - understand your emotions about Andy winning. We'd waited so long that it almost seemed an anticlimax when it happened. Mind you, I think many fans have been walking around in a warm glow for the last few days, knowing he's finally done it.
Really, it takes the pressure off the rest of his ENTIRE career. Yes, there will be those who say he's got to win more to avoid being a one-slam wonder. But while many doubted he'd ever win one, few would now bet against him winning more.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down