The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O/T but worthy: Aconcagua and the NDCS

4 posters

Go down

O/T but worthy: Aconcagua and the NDCS Empty O/T but worthy: Aconcagua and the NDCS

Post by Poorfour Thu 13 Sep 2012, 8:44 pm

I blame Quins for this. It was as we relaxed with our beers on the turf at the Stoop after the Premiership final, waiting for the team to arrive with the trophy. That was when my mate Jeremy talked me into climbing a mountain with him. Mrs Poorfour, clearly giddy with the euphoria of the day, encouraged me to do it.

Jeremy and I have previous form for this sort of thing. 5 years ago we trekked to Everest Base Camp as part of a group raising money for VSO in Nepal. So, next January, we're going to try to climb Mount Aconcagua in aid of the NDCS. What? Who? You're all busy people, so I'll keep it short:

1) Aconcagua is a mountain in the Argentinean Andes, near the border with Chile. At 6,962m, it's the highest point on earth, as long as you ignore the bit being squeezed between China and India...
2) ...in fact, since we'll be climbing during the northern hemisphere's winter (when people don't tend to climb high mountains) there is a good chance that if we summit, we will be the highest people on the planet at that precise moment in time
3) There isn't any technical climbing involved, but the altitude and weather make it difficult - only about one third of attempts are successful
4) It's a private trip, and we're paying for all the expenses ourselves, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to raise funds for the National Deaf Children's Society. My youngest daughter is hearing impaired and the NDCS has been a huge help. Any and all the money I raise will go direct to them.

My fundraising page is here. I've set a target of £6,962, the height of the mountain in metres

And if you're interested, I'm keeping a blog.

I do hope you'll support me... As an added incentive, I'm going to post this on a range of rugby boards (here, and the rugby network ones). If people mention which team they support in their donations, I will wear the shirt of the one that raises the most money on the mountain.

If you'd like to help in a more active way, too, I am trying to put a charity go-karting evening together. It'll be a weekday evening in October, somewhere near London. I need around 15 teams to make it work. If you'd be interested, get in touch by PM.

Thanks for listening (and, I hope, donating)

Jason / Poorfour

Last edited by Adam D on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:33 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Posted as a global announcement.)
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

O/T but worthy: Aconcagua and the NDCS Empty Re: O/T but worthy: Aconcagua and the NDCS

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

What is NDCS?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

O/T but worthy: Aconcagua and the NDCS Empty Re: O/T but worthy: Aconcagua and the NDCS

Post by Poorfour Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

The National Deaf Children's Society - it's highlighted in bold and I've explained why I'm supporting them half way down the post.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:06 pm

Sorry, should have read your post a little more carefully.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:55 pm

Aconcagua. One day maybe for me. Good luck.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm

By the way, if anyone was thinking of making a donation but hasn't done so yet, now's a really good time to do it. If I can raise £750, I can get my employer to donate a matching £750... and I'm currently just £26.56 short!
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:16 pm

a worthy cause, best of luck!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:26 pm

Thanks to all of you who've donated so far - I've reached my first big fundraising milestone in only a week... Here's a blog post about it
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:01 am

In fundraising terms, we've now gone past the top of Scafell Pike and we're on the summit ridge of Snowdon (but still 100m from the summit) - two new posts to celebrate
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:29 pm

Well. in fundraising terms we're now just outside the Top 10 mountains in Britain and closing in on Ben Nevis - I've added some posts to the blog to celebrate.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down