The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eric Cantona vs Dennis Bergkamp. Who was better for their PL club?

+9
Y2James
Stella
Beer
Ent
super_realist
John Cregan
JamesLincs
Crimey
azania
13 posters

Go down

Eric Cantona vs Dennis Bergkamp. Who was better for their PL club? Empty Eric Cantona vs Dennis Bergkamp. Who was better for their PL club?

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:39 pm

Two great players who were regarded as the catalyst for their respective clubs success but who was the better of the two?

Cantona was one of them players that would do absolutely nothing during a game and then completely out of nowhere conjure up a piece of magic that would make you gasp with absolute awe. Eric helped transform Utd from challengers to champions within a year of signing. I don't think there is any argument that Cantona is the Premier Leagues first bona-fied superstar.

Bergkamp was distinctly average in his first 18 months at Arsenal and if my memory serves me correct he had trouble settling into a Bruce Rioch led Arsenal in his first season and it wasn't until Arsene Wenger took the reins at Highbury during his second season that he finally found his feet. Once Bergkamp got into his groove he was quite simply an extraordinary player for the Gunners.

But who was the better and/or perhaps more important player for their PL club?

Whilst Cantona definitely aided Utd in their quest for their first top flight championship in 27 years (I think?) I would have still fancied them to have taken that title in 93 whereas I'm not so sure Arsenal would have captured the 98 title had they not had Bergkamp in their side. Either way both were massive additions to their respective teams.

We like to boast about having the best league in the world but lets be honest and admit that the foreign players that have graced these shores over the years have more than made it what it is and these two are the torchbearers. But who do you believe was the better......?

Cheers guys.

Back to top Go down

Eric Cantona vs Dennis Bergkamp. Who was better for their PL club? Empty Re: Eric Cantona vs Dennis Bergkamp. Who was better for their PL club?

Post by azania Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm

Pains me to say this as a gooner, but Cantona had the bigger impact for Man Utd.

Still think Dennis was the better player though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Eric Cantona vs Dennis Bergkamp. Who was better for their PL club? Empty Re: Eric Cantona vs Dennis Bergkamp. Who was better for their PL club?

Post by Crimey Sat 15 Sep 2012, 12:09 am

I, surprisingly, agree with azania on this one. I think Cantona had a much bigger impact on Manchester United than Bergkamp did at Arsenal, but believe Bergkamp was the much better player.

Bergkamp would do things no other footballer on the planet would even think of doing and has scored what I believe is the best goal ever, against Newcastle.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 15 Sep 2012, 12:11 am

i agree with you both, and that goal against newcastle is probably the most outrageous goal ever scored.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Sep 2012, 12:31 am

I remember reading something in a tabloid in the late 90's where Arsenal were on a coach trip back from an away game and Tony Adams stood up, pointed towards Bergkamp and told him to pull his socks up.

The midweek after that he scored a stupendous hat-trick against Leicester and the rest - as they say - is history.

Three players made that 98 double winning side spectacular. Vieira, Petit and Dennis but without the latter I doubt they'd have reached such heights.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 8:48 am

Bergkamp for me................Cantona, much as i loved him at the time, never produced on the big European stage..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

Bergkamp all day long. I never really rated Cantona as much as everyone else did. Good player but a tad over-rated i would say.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:50 am

Eric of course.

Due to the foreigner ban he had only one full season of European football, during which he had a better scoring ratio than he had in domestic football and we reached the semi finals.

He was also a accomplished international player with 20 goals in 45 games until he lost his place following his total football ban.

He won the title in every full season he played in England.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:03 am

Eric all day long. Granted Bergkamp was a genius, but Eric was just different class.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 9:55 am

Bergkamp was the better player but Eric had the bigger impact.

Dennis was imo, the most graceful player the EPL has seen.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Y2James Mon 17 Sep 2012, 1:24 pm

John Cregan wrote:Bergkamp for me................Cantona, much as i loved him at the time, never produced on the big European stage..............

Not starting an argument, but when did Bergkamp excel on the European stage? Eric was quite simply phenomenal for United in his time and if that stupid 3 foreigner European rule wasnt in place the United team of 94 would have ruled the grandest stage of them all!! but when you have a team whose spine is English, but stars were Eric, Schmeichael, Keane, kanchelskis, Hughes and Giggs.

Both players have their merits, but where as Bergkamp was brilliant for Arsenal and scored some magnificant goals, Eric was the catalyst for the next 20 years for United and the model in which Beckham, Scholes etc based their training on, and even when he didnt have a good game, would still score the winning goals in the biggest games.

Y2James

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:17 pm

Cantona was magnificent, both were, although I think its unfair to say Cantona had a bigger effect on his club than Bergkamp did, I'd say Cantona was the final piece in the jigsaw at Manchester United while Bergkamp was an initial piece of the Arsenal jigsaw, for medals won though I'd say Cantona simply because he won the title in 4 of his 5 years and I've no doubt it would have been 5/5 if he wasn't his own worst enemy at Selhurst Park, however, Dennis Bergkamp in my opinion is the best player the Premier League has seen in the 20 years it's been in existance

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

Both impecible players who did things no one else could at the time. I'm basing this purely on footballing quality rather than impacts at clubs. That's a different debate, this about who was the best player.

And I can safely say, 100% as a full blown Man Utd fan that out of 10, Eric was a 9 and Dennis was a 9. Both incredible and similar players who were simply a joy to watch. Both scored 2 of the most outrageous goals I've seen in the PL:

Dennis at Newcastle
Eric and that chip

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:30 pm

Based on talent, I'd have Bergkamp over Cantona.

THAT CHIP was a very good goal but slightly overrated, imo.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:50 pm

Crimey wrote:I, surprisingly, agree with azania on this one. I think Cantona had a much bigger impact on Manchester United than Bergkamp did at Arsenal, but believe Bergkamp was the much better player.

Bergkamp would do things no other footballer on the planet would even think of doing and has scored what I believe is the best goal ever, against Newcastle.

I still think the one he scored against Argentina in the World Cup is incredible. One of my favourite ever goals, he just makes it look so effortless

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

Bathite wrote:
Crimey wrote:I, surprisingly, agree with azania on this one. I think Cantona had a much bigger impact on Manchester United than Bergkamp did at Arsenal, but believe Bergkamp was the much better player.

I still think the one he scored against Argentina in the World Cup is incredible. One of my favourite ever goals, he just makes it look so effortless

Yep, a great goal. Elegance at it's most err............elegant. Barry Davies' commentary made it even better, if that was possible.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:54 pm

The best commentary of that goal was the Dutch one where the commentator just repeatedly screamed 'Dennis Bergkamp' Laugh

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

https://youtu.be/XsZkCFoqSBs
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 17 Sep 2012, 3:05 pm

Stella wrote:https://youtu.be/XsZkCFoqSBs

Gary Neville's orgasm doesn't even come close!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 17 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

Bergkamp's lob on the over the shoulder volley against England around 92/93 was equally as great as his goal against Argentina in 98n which was absolutely superb

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

https://youtu.be/V_WWLNCO-6g

Goal is at about 2.40.

This one is pretty special as well.

https://youtu.be/yyTjpNhG2L8
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

Cantona.

He hit the deck running at United and Bergkamp initially struggled in the first half of his first season.

I think Cantona was so instrumental in United's success that it pained me to watch him season after season just score and make goals for United. 1995/96 season he was just untouchable.

Bergkamp for me great season in 1997/98. After 2000 you have to say Henry became the man at Arsenal.

From a longevity perspective Bergkamp all day long, but for impact at their clubs and importance, Cantona.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 17 Sep 2012, 3:23 pm

Great links, this one too, a personal favourite rtsp://v4.cache7.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQkN7A-VmydEOxMYESARFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYLHQxbvwpsyrUAw=/0/0/0/video.3gp

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

Cannot view it for some reason?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 17 Sep 2012, 5:08 pm

No worries

Same goal, Here's another link https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=O0Qnm5UP7A0

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 17 Sep 2012, 5:31 pm

In terms of intelligent play, i'd rather have Bergkamp at my club/playing alongside with than Cantona. Cantona is pretty decent at finishing but Dennis is good at everything.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

the-gaffer wrote:No worries

Same goal, Here's another link https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=O0Qnm5UP7A0

Cheers Boss!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down