The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premiership rugby coverage - to include free to air?

5 posters

Go down

Premiership rugby coverage - to include free to air? Empty Premiership rugby coverage - to include free to air?

Post by Big Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

According to this, the BT deal may include showing some games on free to view channels - with ITV reported to be interested (would make sense given that they already do highlights). Seems great to me and I hope it goes ahead. I would assume that BT will want to keep enough on pay channels to get people spending, and get some of their money back. However, without the free to view element it's hard to see how new fans are going to get into the game. ITV's rugby highlights already get over 1million tuning in despite being fairly rubbish highlights and on at an ungodly hour - I'm not certain on sky viewing figures for a typical match, but from conversations a few years back I think it's a lot less than that (possibly in the order of 200k-300k). I'd hope that even occasional live matches on ITV would get vastly more people watching and interested in the premiership. Makes a real change from the Sky attitude which is effectively 'Get our channels or get stuffed', and makes me hopeful that we have seen the last of them (esp. S Barnes).

So what are your views, good or bad? and how much (if any) should be free to view? Would also be interested in the views of Rabo fans who obviously get the benefits (and drawbacks) of free to air rugby already.

Please keep any debate on the European side of the deal to the dedicated threads.

Big

Back to top Go down

Premiership rugby coverage - to include free to air? Empty Re: Premiership rugby coverage - to include free to air?

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm

It worked for.......................... I know it's a bad word............. Pro12.

It creates more market/product awareness certainly but perhaps it is just seen as a necessary beginning for changing people's perceptions and to slowly introduce them to the idea that this (AP) "is out there for you - want to see more? Subscribe to BT."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Premiership rugby coverage - to include free to air? Empty Re: Premiership rugby coverage - to include free to air?

Post by doctor_grey Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:56 pm

I think this will be great for Rugby. In my ideal world, this would be regularly scheduled matches either every Friday night, at say 7:30pm, or on Sunday afternoons at the usual time. Saturday matches would draw less because so many people are out playing or watching. But a regular event, every week, just like the NFL would grow and draw more folks. It would be a BIG idea.

Of course, this presupposes we get through the current nonsense with the HEC negotiations.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:56 pm

Honestly the Pro 12 is free to air, but a complete Match of the day highlights programme on a sunday would be great.

(Iknow Scrum V do one buts its mostly about Welsh teams) one like th eITV the prem have would be good, non biased would make it intresteing.

Or even combine it, Aviva/Pro 12 match of the day.

Sometimes I find it hard to keep up with how other teams in the league are doing.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:14 am

Fair comment on an Aviva/Pro 12 type match of the day. Would be good to see, and I wouldn't say no to some coverage of the Championship sides as well. Even if it's just a summary of results and best moments. If London Welsh are proving anything it is that Exeter's success is not a fluke or one off, and clearly since the second tier went professional they have significantly closed the gap on the premiership sides.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:58 am

Would definitely like to see Championship highlights included in the TV package as this will become a real strength of the English league approach in the coming years. When you consider Newcastle, Rotherham, Bristol, Leeds, Bedford, Nottingham and Plymouth are all well established and should be further supported.
I still believe a club knockout competition like the old Pilkington should be re-instated but that's a separate topic.....

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:53 am

Don't forget Cornwall, too. Really is a good group of clubs. Would be nice to see them get more coverage. I think you are right, a strong second tier is the future.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:15 am

Actually I'd hope it was the Saturday afternoon game. That way the less attended games won't be hit. Also, if it's on FTA to draw people in it doesn't need to cater for people watching or playing. It's for those sat at home trying to find something decent to watch on Saturday afternoon.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down