The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikey Phills suspended

+13
Janecory
Scrumdown
offload
Ospreydragon
whocares
thebluesmancometh
HammerofThunor
Morgannwg
Hound_of_Harrow
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Smirnoffpriest
maestegmafia
XR
17 posters

Go down

Mikey Phills suspended Empty Mikey Phills suspended

Post by XR Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips has been suspended indefinitely by his French club Bayonne, according to reports in France.

The Sud-Ouest website said Phillips has been fined and suspended until further notice for what club president Alain Afflelou described as "unacceptable off-field behaviour".

Phillips signed for the French side, who currently lie one place off the bottom of the Top 14, last summer after leaving the Ospreys.

The suspension is thought to be a punishment for breaking team rules by going on a series of nights out.

Mr Afflelou told L'Equipe: "I'm furious - outraged.

"This is unacceptable and not worthy of a professional player.

"It shows a lack of respect for the club's partners and the public.

"He will not play again until further notice and we will also punish him financially."

He added: "This is not the first time he's been sick. It's shameful.

"I'll talk to the players tomorrow to tell them that from now on, we'll only give opportunities to those who want to fight with commitment and respect for the team, our commercial partners and the public.

"Others, regardless of who they are - if they carry on behaving like spoiled children, they will no longer wear the shirt of this club."

Seems Phillsy was on a night out when he shouldn't have been, maybe a student night in Bayonne's equivalent of Tiger Tiger, "Le Tigre Deux"

XR

Back to top Go down

Mikey Phills suspended Empty Re: Mikey Phills suspended

Post by maestegmafia Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

What an idiot.

Thought he had got himself together in France but it looks like he can still behave like a fool.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

have you got a link?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:17 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/09/28/wales-star-mike-phillip-suspended-until-further-notice-by-bayonne-91466-31927163/

Note, according to my reading of the original French article (the French girl I sit next to at work is in a meeting so I can't double check) Cedric Haymans has also been suspended.

http://www.sudouest.fr/2012/09/28/heymans-et-phillips-suspendus-par-l-aviron-bayonnais-834579-8.php
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:26 pm

Cheers Pete - I couldn't find it on any newspaper sites just the Western Fail...

(also found an article from last year on the Western Mail saying Phillips had been suspended indefinately by Wales - not quite true I have to say).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:32 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Cheers Pete - I couldn't find it on any newspaper sites just the Western Fail...

(also found an article from last year on the Western Mail saying Phillips had been suspended indefinately by Wales - not quite true I have to say).

I found that Wales suspension one while I was googling too Smile - but on the BBC!

Flicking through the French site (and note, my French isn't great), it appears Phillips injured his hand in training and was going to miss a couple of games anyway.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:45 pm

Yeah I heard he'd injured his hand, and when I saw this article my 1st though was that maybe he'd injured it further when doing something he shouldn't have, or something similar.

Interesting that Haymans has been suspended as well.

Need to see more detail, but these sort of things don't give Welsh players a good name, or encourage foreign teams to sign them (which I suppose is good from a certain POV)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 28 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

The story is on Planet Rugby too. Heymans is also suspended.

Mind you, Afflelou has gone a bit 'public' with his statement and condemnation. Usually over here it would be "I can only confirm that X is suspended pending an investigation by the club." "The club have no further comment to make at this time."

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 28 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

This and his hand injury will probably stop him from starting for Wales, but he'll still make the bench. Who do you think Gats/Howley will pick? Hopefully not Knoyle. Jon Evans has been in good form but doesn't seem to be getting any plaudits on here.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 28 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

"Not the first time he's been sick" Guessing he turned up to training hungover.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 28 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

Morg... Richie Rees, or Roberts are the only 2 real options IMO...

But you know who's going to start don't you?!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 28 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

Yeah Knoyle I guess. If that's the case then I'd like to see an alternative 9 on the bench. Webb, J.Evans, Davies or Williams.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 28 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

I was thinking Williams Morg!!!

Williams is such a poor option at club let alone int level but he'll be there or there about.

Roberts would be my option, classy smooth and gets big forwards coming onto the ball so easily!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 28 Sep 2012, 8:06 pm

RE Mike

Bayonnes president has form for badmouthing sacking players and coaches doesn't he.

With relegation looming they'll want to find scapegoats, and look to offload big earners, but then Mike is a pleb!!!!

Only time I met him was down Cardiff Bay and nearly got into fistycuffs with him and his mates

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:26 pm

Afflelou is a clown to start with. bad communication from him is not helping his club. things like that should be managed privately, not exposed through medias that didnt even ask anything : surely this will not help Bayonne. Heymans was caught saying he didnt care about what the supporters critics...while Philips has been seen in bars the day before some games. not very clever specially in a small town...
meanwhile Byrne is not having a good game and Clermont losing at home against stade (22-25 less than 10 minutes to go!)

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 28 Sep 2012, 10:53 pm

whocares I was looking for the exile thread recently but could not find it. How is Luke Charteris playing?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:29 am

Trnslation from the French:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHeymans%2Bet%2BPhillips%2Bsuspendus%2Bpar%2Bl%2527Aviron%2BBayonnais%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DgDl%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=fr&u=http://www.lerugbynistere.fr/news/mike-phillips-cedric-heymans-suspendus-derby-basque-2809121528.php&usg=ALkJrhgAul2y2Xct0wmhJ4-uG_zA1XexCw

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:40 am

Morgannwg wrote:Yeah Knoyle I guess. If that's the case then I'd like to see an alternative 9 on the bench. Webb, J.Evans, Davies or Williams.

Please don't let it be Williams, he was awful again yesterday !
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Morg... Richie Rees, or Roberts are the only 2 real options IMO...

Roberts and Rees? Is this a joke?

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:24 am

Scrumdown

Who else is there? Lloyd Williams is only getting regional gametime because of his surname, Webb has lost a game or two this season single handedly, and Knoyle is having a mare behind Davies (who prob looks sharpest 9 in wales ATM)

Rees has started excellently with Embra, and Roberts has all but ousted Dickson at Northampton.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:27 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Scrumdown

Who else is there? Lloyd Williams is only getting regional gametime because of his surname, Webb has lost a game or two this season single handedly, and Knoyle is having a mare behind Davies (who prob looks sharpest 9 in wales ATM)

Rees has started excellently with Embra, and Roberts has all but ousted Dickson at Northampton.
Rees looked Edinburghs best player last night.

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

Janecory

I didn't see the game last night, was he any good? Did Yapp get on and how did the Dragons front row go?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

Scrumdown wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Morg... Richie Rees, or Roberts are the only 2 real options IMO...

Roberts and Rees? Is this a joke?
Who would you suggest to take the reins ?

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

Could also be due to clubs financial issues.

If they fire a player for bad behaviour I guess they don't have pay out their contract.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

Jane

The only other alternative is Davies?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:34 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Janecory

I didn't see the game last night, was he any good? Did Yapp get on and how did the Dragons front row go?
As already posted Rees was their best player, Yappy came on in second half.
Drags won, but scored just one try compared to Edinburgh scoring two.
Edinburgh are a better side than the score suggests, but down to 13 men didnt help their cause.

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:37 am

Rees is real quality, he was mishandled at the Blues, and was good in beating us.

He'll be good for Embra but I bet he won't get a wales call up.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

Dont know why we are even talking about other 9s. The Wales management will never drop Phillips, whatever !

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

It's not Phillips thats the problem though, he's a handy weapon to have, but we need a classier quicker guy behind him to mix or open the game up a bit. WILLIAMS IS NOT IT!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:25 am

Gareth davies of scatlets. has a bit of everything. Jon evans of dragons.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:32 am

I'm not a huge fan of Rees, he is quick and good at clearing ball fast which is an asset but that's all he has, he isn't a well rounded talent. We need more than that in a scrum half at international level.

I think Knoyle is the best available and I know many disagree. Webb Williams, Davies, Evans and Habberfield are all very good players as well but need a bit more time and not the pressure of the mantle of being first choice at international level.

I guess if Phillips is suspended then he can concentrate on getting fit and serving Wales well in the autumn. He'll be very usefull against the Aussies.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

maestegmafia wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Rees, he is quick and good at clearing ball fast which is an asset but that's all he has, he isn't a well rounded talent. We need more than that in a scrum half at international level.

I think Knoyle is the best available and I know many disagree. Webb Williams, Davies, Evans and Habberfield are all very good players as well but need a bit more time and not the pressure of the mantle of being first choice at international level.

I guess if Phillips is suspended then he can concentrate on getting fit and serving Wales well in the autumn. He'll be very usefull against the Aussies.

Corrwg, keep taking the tablets if i were you, or change your shrink !

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:32 pm

Janecory

Maybe you should show maturity and enter debate rather than slandering other posters. If I see this kind of rubbish from you again I will report you.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:11 pm

MM

Chill out will you, it's just a reaction to your suggestion of Knoyle, who can't get in ahead of Davies so how does he get selected over him for Wales.

What do you think of Roberts MM?

Also I think you under rate Rees, his delivery is far better than Phillips or Williams, and he is far quicker and decisive around the park, both Williams and Phillips stutter while thinking about what to do next.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:25 pm

Blues it's not the first time I've read this kinda junk from JC it's out of line.

Not a massive fan of Roberts temperament though his around skills are good.

Davies is a cracking player and I do agree Knoyle is not at his best, but i truely think he reads a game much better than the other candidates.

We have a bunch of lads of a similar age and standard, they all have good games and bad. We need Phillips around for a few more years for the younger lads to establish who might be the better option.

Big fan of Habberfield at Ospreys. Unfortunately he is out injured. He could well be the right guy in a few years.

I played all my rugby at halfback, 9 and 10. I think it is interesting to see people perspectives on who is or isn't doing well and why I'm a position you know well yourself.

I think the valuable parts of a scrumhalfs game are unrecognised by many.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:33 pm

Didn't realise JC had form mate my bad.

Regarding Knoyle your right, Evans, Davies, Wiliams, Knoyle, Webb and Roberts are all similar kind of players but they all seem to have a good 30 mins then lose the game.

IMO Webb lost Ospreys the Glasgow game by acting like a petulant child, Knoyle has become very slow and ponderous, Davies reacts at 100mph (wether anyone knows he will or not) and Williams is still living off his surname.

In reality Phillips is 1st choice, but at present Rees is the most well rounded back up right now, Roberts is the real class act but has that Saints pack to make hime look it.

Behind Phillips noone has put their hand up (except Rees who had it forced back down again by the WRU and Blues) and it's a toss up as to who gets a call up.

I'd personally go with Phillips Roberts and Davies

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 3:00 pm

I haven't seen too much of Roberts this season. I was at the Rex for the bath vs saints game and they used Dickson, who is pretty average.

There are a few other welsh lads around the premiership. Allinson is at London Irish I think and there's also Peel at Sale.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 29 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I haven't seen too much of Roberts this season. I was at the Rex for the bath vs saints game and they used Dickson, who is pretty average.

There are a few other welsh lads around the premiership. Allinson is at London Irish I think and there's also Peel at Sale.

Dickson was sublime last night against my team Wasps. He is the fastest provider of a ball I've seen for a long time. I rate that quality above most for a SH.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:33 pm

Aye he played well vs wasps. Wasn't so hot at the Rex though

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:03 pm

Mike's ban has been lifted. But he's still injured and is not expected to return until the Amlin Challenge Cup.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

Banned for a week he wouldn't have played anyway due to his injury what is the point ?
Headscratch

Reminds me of Biggars one week ban last season when Ospreys weren't playing a game.

I suspect he will get hit in the pocket but he will still have a few Euros for a few glasses of vino collapso.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:40 pm

He was apparently fined 5,000 Euros and had to agree to stop drinking alcohol. Effectively it looks like they have gone through standard disciplinary process and put him on final warning. Any further breaches would allow them to terminate his contract without recompense.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:54 pm

LondonTiger wrote:He was apparently fined 5,000 Euros and had to agree to stop drinking alcohol. Effectively it looks like they have gone through standard disciplinary process and put him on final warning. Any further breaches would allow them to terminate his contract without recompense.

Yes - I guess that is what the meeting next week with the board & Lanta will reiterate.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

What is going on with these Welsh players? Not only Phillips but Bishop as well recently http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro12-2012-13/rugby/story/170456.html

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:52 pm

picard

yappy - with the glass house we are in, please put those stones down.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:07 pm

The team behaved like gentlemen and true athletes down in NZ and gave a good account of themselves to the rugby world. These incidents leave a stain on that and it has definitely hindered their chances of further international honours. Both were in contention, even Bishop because he is playing better than his centre partner Beck. That news is a few weeks old yappy in case you hadn't noticed.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:36 pm

I think if that is all that has happened then he is a very lucky young man. He has created these situations before and has been reprimanded for them.

It is a shame he behaves this way.

The only plus was that after the last time at the ospreys he played some of his best rugby for Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:40 pm

Might be the 'making' of him. If boozing has been affecting his game getting off it completely may help him (and Wales).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:52 am

Hang on a second, does anyone actually know what happened or are we all just speculating as usual?

They only banned him for one game, something seems fishy.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:32 am

He injured his hand.

He was apparently allegedly drinking and partying

He is a very expensive player that Bayonne cant afford.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down