The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Britannia

5 posters

Go down

Royal Britannia Empty Royal Britannia

Post by talkingpoint Sun 30 Sep 2012, 11:58 am

Last night was a very good night for British fighters at UFC on Fuel 5 from Nottingham. Hardy showed great clinch work and wrestling to outscore Sadollah. The Nottingham native punished Sadollah with his boxing and ground and pound, leaving his opponent bloodied and battered at the end of the three rounds. Hardy won rounds 2 and 3 comfortably and depsite not getting the TKO looked very impressive.

Brad Pickett, exonerated his loss to Barao at the last UK UFC event with a flush uppercut that won him the KO of the night bonus against Yves Jabouin. Jabouin fought well, catching Pickett several times with some good kickboxing but Pickett counter-punched well and timed his upper-cut to perfection.

Che Mills got back in the win column after Ludwig was stretched out of the Octagon with a knee injury. Mills showed improved grappling skills to take down Ludwig.

Unfortunately it wasn't Paul Sass' night after he tapped out to an arm bar from Wiman but prior to the submission he was dominating Wiman with his own BJJ and looked in a very comfortable position, nearly hooking in an ankle lock on a couple of occassions.

Well done lads, I think the UK's stock is going up in the UFC at the moment and I hope that we will eventually see the first ever UK champion in the not too distant future.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Royal Britannia Empty Re: Royal Britannia

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:11 am

I thought it was a good show.

I enjoyed Sass v Wiman for as long as it lasted. I usually prefer the stand up side as oppose to grabbling side but I was impressed with this one. Both going subs constantly, Sass landing a few telling blows from up top, I even thought he had sunk the heel hook in at one point but Wiman shows how welll rounded he is and as Sass leave his arm in there exposed, Wiman goes for the armbar and gets it. I hope Sass doesn't get too downbeat with his first loss and hopefully it will make him a better fighter.

Brad Pickett..............WOW. As the fight progressed, I thought Yves was getting the better of him, he was landing telling knees in the clinch, landing flush on Brad's chin and he was some how shaking them off (what a chin!), I was fearing that Brad was taking too many shots on his way in them BOOM! Lands a flush uppercut and KO's Yves, being true to his name 'One Punch'. I think that puts him right back to the contenders picture.

I wasn't too impressed with Hardy and too be honest, I don't think I will ever be. I just feel the second he steps up and takes on a top contender again, they will just expose his huge wrestling flaw and he will be beaten again, he is your bog standard mid card fighter now (IMO) who gives UK exposure in the UFC.

I think Hathaway needs to be stepped up now. He looked great untill that Pyle fight were he just got mullered. I think that was a huge reality check for him after riding high after schooling Sanchez. I would like to see him against Finch, Ellenberger or someone in that mold. I think he has proven himself now.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:16 pm

I agree that Hardy is not welterweight champion material. But I am happy to see him win two on the trot and I hope he can get a nice little win streak going. I personally think Pickett is the better pick for a future world champion. He lost to Barao last time because he was too eager to put on a good fight for the fans. He exposed himself in a rush of blood to the head. However, I do think he'll need to work on his grappling if he's to win the bantemweight title.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

I was there. Excellent show and the pre-lims were arguably better than the main card.

Low points were Tom Watson who looked slow and lacking in ideas. Andy Ogle was terrible too, as he was on TUF in my opinion, and hopefully this is the end of his career now as he's not cut out for high level MMA.

It was difficult not to get carried away on the Hardy bandwagon in the actual arena, but I agree that he's of limited ability and he'll be found out again the next time he comes up against a quality fighter.

The heavyweight division is wide open right now and Struve could go far. He impressed me after being rocked by Miocic but rallying back to score a very impressive TKO.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 02 Oct 2012, 8:30 am

Wouldnt mind watching this, despite knowing the results.

Agree with Group re Ogle, didnt really impress me in TUF 15.
Having said that I would have liked him to beat Akira who i'm not a fan of.

Big fan of Wiman, so glad he won.
Glad Demarques Johnson lost. Was reading about Nelson in a mma magazine while I was on holiday, decent fighter.

Looked a decent card.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:53 pm

Have seen most of the fights and not a terrible card although the UFC will never spend too much on UK events as they sell regardless of who is fighting and easier to fill it with UK fighters as saving money on big stars and creates good atmosphere with home support.

I think Hardy is a bit too limited to be a top contender again. His striking is good and showed some decent enough GnP but i think the top guys will go through quite easily.

I'd like hardy to stay about though as he's good to watch and fan-friendly.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:49 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Have seen most of the fights and not a terrible card although the UFC will never spend too much on UK events as they sell regardless of who is fighting and easier to fill it with UK fighters as saving money on big stars and creates good atmosphere with home support.

I think Hardy is a bit too limited to be a top contender again. His striking is good and showed some decent enough GnP but i think the top guys will go through quite easily.

I'd like hardy to stay about though as he's good to watch and fan-friendly.

That's it with Hardy when it comes to the top he's only in with a punchers chance. Respect to the guy, he's tough & durable and will always be in good fights. Like to see him fight Koschek would be a good fight as they can both bang & like to keep it standing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down