The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

+22
Pot Hale
WillyGilly
The Great Aukster
MBTGOG
SecretFly
asoreleftshoulder
Pete330v2
Cari
theshanker
red_stag
Rory_Gallagher
wolfball
valjester
clivemcl
pete (buachaill on eirne)
MrsP
Rava
1F'sgonnagetya!
Kingshu
Notch
rodders
Don Alfonso
26 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill Empty Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm

So - the two powerhouse provinces go to war. I expect a niggly, ferocious scrap before Saturday’s somewhat less exciting digestif, when Munster and Leinster will determine who’s the third best province in Ireland.

Really looking forward to it, although Dan Park rising from the Western mist has caused a bit of consternation. Connacht looked quite a different unit last weekend.

Assuming an ongoing injury list of Birch, Diack, Fitzpatrick, Wilson, Allen (and obviously McAllister and Farrell), and with the HEC on the horizon, I’d go for:

1) Court
2) Brady
3) Afoa
4) Muller
5) Tuohy
6) Ferris
7) Henry
8) Williams
9) Marshall
10) Jackson
11) Trimble
12) Wallace
13) Cave
14) Bowe
15) Payne

And a bench of:

16) Black
17) Best
18) Macklin
19) Stevenson
20) McComish
21) Heaney
22) Marshall
23) Gilroy

Harsh on McComb and Henderson, given their performances, but there’s only 23 spaces.

McComish’s knowledge and experience of the Connacht players pushes him onto the bench ahead of Henderson. On the other hand, if 1F is still out, I’d actually start Henderson, I think.

At the start of this season I was frustrated we’d lost Barker and kept McComb – completely wrong on that one. He’s shown dog, good defensive skills and some great passing and off-loading. I’d be happy to see him play – but Stevenson has been seriously impressive so far, and Tuohy came right back with a massive bang last week (I especially enjoyed Ryan Constable referring to him “emptying” people).

Best to come off the bench and get at least half an hour. Not 100% sure which of Gilroy or Trimble would start – I do think Trimble’s defence is better, and Connacht have some impressive young backs. Gilroy dancing past tired defenders was a highlight last week – can we just replicate that?

Anscombe will probably start some weird team that still works well, however.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill Empty Re: Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

Post by rodders Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:58 pm

I think I'd start with Best and give Henderson the nod on the bench.

Gilroy is a tricky one because he's looked sharper than either Bowe or Trimble but the latter two will likely start the HEC and need gametime. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilroy start on the left.

I think if we can get 5 points here we will be in a very strong position to qualify in top spot for the KO stages. Theres a long way to go yet though.

SUFTUM.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill Empty Re: Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

Post by Notch Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

I'd want Gilroy to get a start this week, see what he can offer. Then it's three into two next week with everyone having had a shot. Trimble hasn't overly impressed me so far but he's certainly our most solid wing defensively.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:17 pm

I expect pretty much the same Connacht team that played leinster to play (settle the team before h-cup).

I expect to see
Duffy (if fit), O'Halloran, Griffin, McSharry, Vainikolo, Parks, Marmion, Buckley, Reynecke, White, Swift, McCarthy, McKeon, O'Connor, Naoupu.

I was hoping Pooleman would be fit and playing for Connacht already.

K Marmion seams to have played a lot for Connacht this season, how good is he, anyone have any info?

Connacht don't have the depth to challange everygame, I think they wanted to play their strongest team in last 2 games in build up to H-cup, Meaning against Leinster and Ulster, and rested some players in Prevoius 2 and hence the disappointing show in Glasgow.

Connacht are were a few teams have been, first XV can challenge near anyone, but outside that look a bit weak when have injuries, or having to rest players. Depth and First XV are improving year on year, since Elwood has come in

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:42 pm

I would start Gilroy, when he's come on he's been great and I think he should be rewarded with a start.

Best to start as well as he needs game time before the HC and he could do with maybe a 50-60min run out.

P.S Love the start of your post Don Alfonso!

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:

Anscombe will probably start some weird team that still works well, however.

You could be right Don and I think it is difficult to second guess the guy. Interesting he singled out McCombe for praise after the weekend game. Psychology?

If I was to offer a change I would start Marshall at 12 with Wallace on the bench. I would also give Macklin a start and spring Afoa off the bench.

Forward replacements will be a toss up depending on the fitness of several players.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

Just noticed the Snoozeletter says that Ferris and Diack will be back, and that Rory may not be back.

In which case, Fez to start, Robbie on the bench, and Brady to start.

1FGGY - I'm just saying what we all know...

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 02 Oct 2012, 3:14 pm

Have Connacht pushed TJ Anderson into Galway Bay?

I haven't heard a word of him this season.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 02 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

When is Wilson back.

I'd love to see a game when Wilson starts, controlled game.

And then around 65 minutes in unleash a fresh Williams to run at tired defences.

(I actually imagine him in a cage, in a straight jacket, instead of on the bench, shaking it and growling, then 5 handlers have to come over to come over and wheel the cage over to side line when he's to come on, open the door and run for there dear lives as he rampages onto the pitch, throwing away a raw steak he had been gnawing out, telling the opposite team hes wanting some fresh meat).

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 02 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

Kingshu wrote:
(I actually imagine him in a cage, in a straight jacket, instead of on the bench, shaking it and growling, then 5 handlers have to come over to come over and wheel the cage over to side line when he's to come on, open the door and run for there dear lives as he rampages onto the pitch, throwing away a raw steak he had been gnawing out, telling the opposite team hes wanting some fresh meat).

Awesome
thumbsup

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 02 Oct 2012, 4:45 pm

Kingshu wrote:

Weird.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:08 pm

Actually though, Kingshu, I think of him more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3ZX1UzxOo&feature=related

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
Kingshu wrote:

Weird.

Yeah that is a bit odd Kingshu ...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue 02 Oct 2012, 7:56 pm

We should win this one with relative ease, Connacht seem to have a mental block against us, in much the same way we have against Leinster.

Big call between Marshall and Wallace, should be interesting.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Tue 02 Oct 2012, 8:42 pm

Depth and First XV are improving year on year, since Elwood has come in

And it looks like he's leaving us!!!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/rabo-direct-pro-12/2012/1002/340056-elwood-to-step-down-as-connacht-coach/

Hope his family commitments are nothing serious. Does put us in a huge mess for the season though, such a strange time to leave... Ulster by 25+ unfortunately...

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 02 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

wolfball wrote:
Depth and First XV are improving year on year, since Elwood has come in

And it looks like he's leaving us!!!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/rabo-direct-pro-12/2012/1002/340056-elwood-to-step-down-as-connacht-coach/

Hope his family commitments are nothing serious. Does put us in a huge mess for the season though, such a strange time to leave... Ulster by 25+ unfortunately...

Wolfball, he is to leave at the end of the season. Gives Connacht enough time to persuade someone to take the job.

There's a guy called Kidney who might be available round about then ..... Run
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:40 pm

Just checked the stats from the last game:

http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro12-2012-13/rugby/match/167011.html

Two things stand out for me. Nick Williams beat 6 defenders, and got through a lot of work. That is some game he had. The other thing is more of a negative. According to these stats Cave missed 7 tackles. Which may be the worst stat for missed tackles I have seen.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:41 pm

Plus Tuohy (another MOTM contender) made 21 tackles.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:46 pm

Gilroy only touched the ball once but made 1 clean break, ran 36 metres, beat 3 defenders and made 1 offload. Now that's impressive stats guinness .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:49 pm

Yeah I saw that too. Gilroy must start IMO. He is just too good to leave out right now.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 03 Oct 2012, 8:10 am

Just heard Elwood is leaving Connacht.

Was this expected?

Apparantly EOS is favourite to replace him. That would be a good move for Connacht IMO.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 03 Oct 2012, 9:07 am

Elwood is a massive loss for Connacht. He's had a huge impact there and I thought he was a front runner to replace Kidney eventually.

EOS...hmmm.... not sure the players will be happy about that. Connacht have really been developing a more expansive game plan.

Brian McLaughlin could do a job there for sure.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 03 Oct 2012, 9:08 am

Kingshu wrote:(I actually imagine him in a cage, in a straight jacket, instead of on the bench, shaking it and growling, then 5 handlers have to come over to come over and wheel the cage over to side line when he's to come on, open the door and run for there dear lives as he rampages onto the pitch, throwing away a raw steak he had been gnawing out, telling the opposite team hes wanting some fresh meat).

More applicable to Ferris than the an affable one handed Nick Williams. He may be big and strong but is not anywhere near as ferocious as you suggest.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 03 Oct 2012, 9:10 am

rodders wrote:Elwood is a massive loss for Connacht. He's had a huge impact there and I thought he was a front runner to replace Kidney eventually.

EOS...hmmm.... not sure the players will be happy about that. Connacht have really been developing a more expansive game plan.

Don't see McLaughlin headed there.

Either Eddie O'Sullivan or else Connacht to get a Kiwi coach and keep up with the Joneses.

As an alternative I think Craig Chalmers would make an excellent coach in the professional game and they could do far worse.

How would Michael Bradley be welcomed back??
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:28 pm

red_stag wrote:
rodders wrote:Elwood is a massive loss for Connacht. He's had a huge impact there and I thought he was a front runner to replace Kidney eventually.

Don't see McLaughlin headed there.

Either Eddie O'Sullivan or else Connacht to get a Kiwi coach and keep up with the Joneses.

As an alternative I think Craig Chalmers would make an excellent coach in the professional game and they could do far worse.

How would Michael Bradley be welcomed back??

I'm not sure Bradley would go back Stag. He has raised his stock in his short time in Edinburgh and I would think he would be looking higher than Connacht (no disrespect to Connacht). I'd say he is keeping one eye on the Ireland set-up. Well liked in D4 I believe.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:29 pm

Thats makes sense Rava.

I am half worried Anthony Foley might fancy a crack at it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm

Stag when I commented on it last night in the pub, Anthony Foley was one of the "young" coaches I had in mind.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:48 pm

Rava wrote:Stag when I commented on it last night in the pub, Anthony Foley was one of the "young" coaches I had in mind.

I know he applied for the Munster head coach role and will have been disappointed not to get it. The question is though which is better for him.

1) Learn from Rob Penney and hone his skills as Munster Assistant Coach with excellent resources and the pressure to succeed falling on Penney

2) Try and take Connacht to the next level as Head Coach with more limited resources and more pressure.

There are pros and cons to both.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Wed 03 Oct 2012, 1:00 pm

Shouldn't the IRFU be pushing for Irish coaches to take charge of the provinces?

I think it's funny how the IRFU are getting stricter on foreign players and wanting more homegrown players coming through but not really doing anything for local coaches!

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Wed 03 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

FORWARDS (14):

Rob Herring, Rory Best, Declan Fitzpatrick, John Afoa, Tom Court, Callum Black, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy, Lewis Stevenson, Stephen Ferris, Mike McComish, Iain Henderson, Chris Henry, Nick Williams.

BACKS (11):

Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Niall O’Connor, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Luke Marshall, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne.

Squad just posted

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 03 Oct 2012, 1:24 pm

I think Foley should go for it. Build up a profile of his own, he's served a good apprenticeship already. He should back himself to take Connacht on. And then when the Munster job comes up again- he goes for it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 03 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

I'd agree with that Notch.
With the players that Connacht already have, and the players within Ireland* who just might be at their disposal over the next couple of seasons, there is no reason why they cannot be competing at a higher level than they have.
It looks a fairly attractive post with the benefit of living in one of the nicest regions in Europe.

* The other three provinces will surely have a surplus of players and one or two in the latter years of their careers who would relish an opportunity to play regularly.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 03 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

I actually think that if the H-cup qualification is changed to top 8 one per union guarenteed, that Connahts task of qualifing for the H-cup in its own right would be easier (one of the few teams it would apply to).

Currently to qualify they would have to be one of the top 12 teams in Europe
http://www.eurorugby.com/modules.php?name=Rcurrent
or top 8 by ERC ranking

By contrast the English can qualify even though effectivaly top 20 in Europe!

I can see Connacht being a promising place to start coaching in the PRO 12

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 03 Oct 2012, 3:50 pm

So, anyway, 25-man squad. We pretty much know how it's going to be right?

Niall O'Connor will most likely be the back that drops out with Wallace and possibly Marshall covering 10. The forward who drops out will be either Mike McComish or Iain Henderson.

Rory Best needs gametime so will most likely start. I believe Court and Afoa should start alongside him to try and get that combination in good fettle for Castres which will be a big battle in the forwards. Ditto Ferris and our 7 and 8 from last week. Tuohy vs Stevenson is the other call and boy it's close... I feel like Stevenson should start with a pumped up Dan Tuohy coming on after 50. Stevensons lineout work has been outstanding and there will be plenty of hard graft to get through in this game before it hopefully opens up in the second half.

The big calls in the backs for me are at inside centre and on the wing. Craig Gilroy didn't do too much wrong coming off the bench and probably deserves a start, Luke Marshall was very solid in his three outings at the start of the season and will have been disappointed to not feature at all against the Blues.

I think Wallace and Cave had an excellent game together against Cardiff after Allens unfortunate injury, they have a real understanding and they created a lot of space with their deft offloading. Thats not something Marshall has managed so well this year and so he'll probably miss out. He's unlucky and I want him to make the breakthrough but knowing he has to improve to oust Wallace will hopefully be the motivation he needs!

Gilroy, on the other hand, I feel deserves a start. Trimble hasn't done too much wrong and is still for me a better defender but a bit of rotation here could increase competition and get the best out of both.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 03 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

Ulster Rugby today announced that scrumhalf Michael Heaney has signed a new contract that will keep him at the Province until the end of the season.

A graduate of the Phoenix Ulster Academy, the 21 year old rejoined Ulster from Doncaster Knights in the summer on an initial four month contract.
Heaney has represented Ulster at all levels and made his senior debut for the Province in a pre-season friendly away to Harlequins in August 2010. He was a member of the Ireland U20 squad that won the 2010 Six Nations Championship and also competed in the IRB Junior World Championships later that year.

Heaney said: "I am delighted to be extending my contract with Ulster. It was a great opportunity to have been given the initial four month contract and I am pleased that I will be able to stay and to continue to represent my Province."

I'm delighted for the lad. He has a good rugby brain.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 03 Oct 2012, 6:50 pm

Tommy Two-Tries will strike again! Wink Hope I can get a decent viewing of this one.

Ulster by at least 12.Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill 3933776953

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 03 Oct 2012, 6:54 pm

Rava wrote:Ulster Rugby today announced that scrumhalf Michael Heaney has signed a new contract that will keep him at the Province until the end of the season.

A graduate of the Phoenix Ulster Academy, the 21 year old rejoined Ulster from Doncaster Knights in the summer on an initial four month contract.
Heaney has represented Ulster at all levels and made his senior debut for the Province in a pre-season friendly away to Harlequins in August 2010. He was a member of the Ireland U20 squad that won the 2010 Six Nations Championship and also competed in the IRB Junior World Championships later that year.

Heaney said: "I am delighted to be extending my contract with Ulster. It was a great opportunity to have been given the initial four month contract and I am pleased that I will be able to stay and to continue to represent my Province."

I'm delighted for the lad. He has a good rugby brain.

I'm delighted too!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 03 Oct 2012, 7:34 pm

He deserves it, he's a better player than McIlroy is right now. I hope McIlroy comes good, but he's at a level we need in our squad.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 03 Oct 2012, 11:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvntwTYEMo&list=UU4EvohuiwgkUV1v03DDD4eQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Gutted can't make it down for this one.

SUFTUM.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:43 am

rodders wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvntwTYEMo&list=UU4EvohuiwgkUV1v03DDD4eQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Gutted can't make it down for this one.

SUFTUM.

What!! no pints this week? I'm gutted as well Sad
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:38 am

Will you be on the Prom or the Terrace for this one Rava?

I might pop down if we can get the kids sorted.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:55 am

MrsP wrote:Will you be on the Prom or the Terrace for this one Rava?

I might pop down if we can get the kids sorted.

Always the Prom Mrs. P. Usually around the 22 at the Aquinas End.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:20 am

I always go to the Terrace, been on prom a few times but prefer terrace.

Rava you and Notch seam to prefer the prom, what is it that makes yous like it more? (am I missing out on something?)

I like Terrace better as think atmostshere can be better ( though think its fairly even between the 2 sides), its just as packed, but its tiered so you get a better view.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:30 am

I'm a prom man myself. Tried tbe terrace once and said never again. Can't really say why but I think I like the freedom of the prom if it's not too packed. I am dying to get to more games this season and really want to bump into Notch, Rava and Rodders etc

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:37 am

Ahem!!!!

Whistle

How's you Pete?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:43 am

Kings, I used to have a season ticket for the main stand but after going for the customary guinness at half time usually didn't bother going back to the seat and just stood on the Prom.
We decided a couple of years ago when renewing that it would be better to purchase just Prom tickets.
I have been on the Terrace a couple of times and its fine but I just like the Prom for some reason.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

And of course I want to meet you again MrsP. The last time I had a bit too much on my hands.
I am simply managing the pain at the moment MrsP. Apart from that I'm a bit too cranky but I am being well looked after :-)

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:58 am

It will get better buddy!

thumbsup

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:59 am

Done that myself Rav, Wolfhounds game treated me and a mate to stands tickets, carring afew pints and were told can't bring pints up the stands (don't think this applies now) choice between stand and no beer or Prom and beer was a none decision, stood on prom drinking beer, never went near the seat, closest I've goten to a stand seat, looked up at the seat I would have been in and waved.

I just think when Prom and Terrace are packed with terrance its slooped more so can get better view, on prom peoples heads can get in the way a bit more, in fairness it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other, but surprised that the split isn't even and most of yous are Promers!

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:05 am

Season ticket holder for the terrace but this will be my first match of the season due to work & hols. The da in law will have to buy his own ticket for the match this week! SUFTUM !!

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next