The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larry Nelson as next US RC captain?

5 posters

Go down

Larry Nelson as next US RC captain? Empty Larry Nelson as next US RC captain?

Post by pedro Wed 03 Oct 2012, 8:15 pm

http://www.pgatour.com/2012/s/10/02/larry-nelson-ryder-cup-possible-captain/index.html

He really advocates for his case. Personally I don't think Toms is the right man for the job, and think Nelson has a point when saying something "new" should be tried.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Larry Nelson as next US RC captain? Empty Re: Larry Nelson as next US RC captain?

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Oct 2012, 8:43 pm

Best man for the job is Paul Azinger - be stupid to select Nelson, just as it would be now to select Lyle except Nelson is ten years older!

Don't really think captaincy was an issue, on either side. Europe just found some magic, the European Tour stereotypes were turned over (Luke Donald's Saturday tee-shot on #17 inside that of Woods for example), and the US ones were found to have some validity.

Difficult to blame Love and I'd be interested to hear what anyone else would have done differently. Even Zinger has no major changes he'd've advocated, just "stunned", same as Miller.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Larry Nelson as next US RC captain? Empty Re: Larry Nelson as next US RC captain?

Post by McLaren Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

What about O'Meara?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:28 pm

Mac,
I don't think they'll ever pick O'Meara - he was deep into the controversy when Duval and O'Meara (acting as Woods's surrogate presumably) were demanding payment for RC participation.
Plus his time has passed/aged. Would think Zinger and Couples are the only over-50's they'd ever consider and even Fred is a reach.

I'd think it will go something like:
Toms
Furyk
Phil
with Leonard and Cink also receiving consideration.

Stricker doesn't tick the Major box and doubt if he'd fancy it anyway. Before we know it, you'll be celebrating Tiger's appointment!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 03 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm

Everybody talks about Toms. But only because he fits the usual criteria: mid/late 40's, end of his career, and major winner at some point of time. But he doesn't seem a natural leader imo, seems rather self destructing. Is he the one telling Tiger and Phil what to do? I doubt it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 04 Oct 2012, 7:31 am

How come Freddie is a shoe in for pres cup but not mentioned for RC?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:51 am

I would have thought Freddy was the obvious choice, simples. Although he's effectively now on the ST he still can and does compete in regular tour events and Majors and no doubt has the respect of the players.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down