The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

winter golf

+6
George1507
JAS
golfermartin
dynamark
navyblueshorts
barragan
10 posters

Go down

winter golf Empty winter golf

Post by barragan Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm

Winter is just about here again. Just wondering what you all do to keep the golf ticking over? Our club has no medals between the end of October and beginning of March, only a Greensomes knockout which is pretty poor show in my opinion. Over the past couple of winters I've taken it upon myself to run a winter league for our group and will be running the third installment this winter. A good chance to get some competitive but friendly games in over the winter. Each year its grown a little, first year 7 pairs, then 9, and now 13 - just as the group has got bigger i guess. Anyway, at least we've something to look forward to -

barragan

Back to top Go down

winter golf Empty Re: winter golf

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:08 am

Play in our club's Winter league. Get's me out and about for at least 10 rounds over the Winter.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:22 am

Our last medal is tomorrow and we will not get another qualifying comp until first week of April next year.Seems ridiculous really as we could easily get another few weeks decent conditions.What the club do is run quite a few team comps ,scrambles etc.We have our usual saturday game but by far the best option over the winter is the county alliance playing every thursday at virtually every course in the county for a nominal green fee.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:25 am

We too have team competitions during the winter (bowmaker, greensomes etc) and a stableford / eclectic (around 6 rounds - non qualifiers).

CONGU want everyone to have qualifiers all year round, but at our club when we hold winter qualifiers, people just don't enter!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:25 am

Both my clubs play comps over the winter off the yellows. At my main club they tend to be non qualifiers. Both hold a winter knock out (4bbb).

Personally I see the winter as a time for a lot more rangework and some bounce rounds punctuated of course by a big exotic Xmas trip to somewhere hot & sunny and this year is no exception.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 05 Oct 2012, 12:40 pm

What's a bowmaker competition?

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm

Bowmakers are usually stableford compettions when you have a team of three golfers and one score out of three counts on the first 6 holes, two out of three on the next six and finally all three count on the last 6 holes. Of course, that can be amended to have 4 players and 2, 3 and 4 counting on the progressive groups of 6 holes. The point is that the pressure builds gradually through the round and the whole team has to really concentrate on the last 6 holes.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:43 pm

Very appropriate thread.
Snow in the forecast over the weekend.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:53 pm

What??? Already Kwini ??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

We have 2 simultaneous winter league competitions (socially organised rather than by the club). Format of 4BBB matchplay. Yellow tees, often a few (but not many) temp greens, full diff (ouch when you're the low man). Each league has 16 teams, we have the 15 league games in our own league for the prizes and then a league versus league final day (1st v 1st 2nd v 2nd etc).

If it's open, it's on. It's a good way of ticking over for 16 weeks and often more fun than summer golf.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

JAS,
Not unheard of for here, though we're in a Valley so hopefully will avoid it.
System dumped plenty of snow the last couple of days from Montana (extinguishing wildfires that have burned for more than a month) and the Dalotas thru the Northern Lakes though.
Brrrr

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

golfermartin wrote:Bowmakers are usually stableford compettions when you have a team of three golfers and one score out of three counts on the first 6 holes, two out of three on the next six and finally all three count on the last 6 holes. Of course, that can be amended to have 4 players and 2, 3 and 4 counting on the progressive groups of 6 holes. The point is that the pressure builds gradually through the round and the whole team has to really concentrate on the last 6 holes.
Sounds a fun(ish) format. Never played it but is there any problem with magic pencils and ridiculously improbably scores? Golf is said to be a really moral sport but there's plenty who'll happily cheat if it means they win a cup or get their name(s) on a board.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

Roller I try really really hard to convince myself that woolly hats, mitts, handwarmers and bounces over frosty ponds are good fun, I really do but no matter how hard I try, it's still much more suffering than fun. The biggest benefit of winter golf is that it helps you appreciate summer golf!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:27 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
golfermartin wrote:Bowmakers are usually stableford compettions when you have a team of three golfers and one score out of three counts on the first 6 holes, two out of three on the next six and finally all three count on the last 6 holes. Of course, that can be amended to have 4 players and 2, 3 and 4 counting on the progressive groups of 6 holes. The point is that the pressure builds gradually through the round and the whole team has to really concentrate on the last 6 holes.
Sounds a fun(ish) format. Never played it but is there any problem with magic pencils and ridiculously improbably scores? Golf is said to be a really moral sport but there's plenty who'll happily cheat if it means they win a cup or get their name(s) on a board.
It is a fun competition and there's not much more prestigious than a few balls or bottles of wine at stake. I may be naive, but as far as I am aware, we have never had any "magic pencils" at ours in club comps. It has been known at Charity Days when outsiders arrive and the prizes have a little more value!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:36 pm

Oooooohhh, the very thought of the first thin on a frosty morning sending a shiver down my spine already!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:35 pm

JAS - it is fun. Honest. No, really. Promise... Whistle

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Oct 2012, 6:37 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:JAS - it is fun. Honest. No, really. Promise... Whistle

Aye but the Isle of Man benefits from much milder winters than the mainland Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:09 pm

Here in cornwall we have a single figure winter league competition around every 3 weeks. Courses include West Cornwall, Bowood, Perranporth, newquay, Trevose and St Enodoc. Good deal, off medal tees all for £16 each round. Keeps you ticking over nicely in the winter with about 40-50 players at each event. At end of winter a team is selected to play a match against local pros.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:17 pm

Will not play much on my regular course over winter, I will however be playing a bit on other courses when I get the chance and my group get the time off work together.

To keep the swing in groove, we are now back at the virtual golf weekly - short shirtsleeves, no wind (parp), coffee or beer on the go, no under armour (satans work) and this week, we played Pebble Beach again!! Smile
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 06 Oct 2012, 7:17 pm

matelot golfer wrote:Here in cornwall we have a single figure winter league competition around every 3 weeks. Courses include West Cornwall, Bowood, Perranporth, newquay, Trevose and St Enodoc. Good deal, off medal tees all for £16 each round. Keeps you ticking over nicely in the winter with about 40-50 players at each event. At end of winter a team is selected to play a match against local pros.

That is a good deal Matelot, the only one I haven't played out of all that lot is Bowood. Are you in the Westlake at Trevose next weekend? I'm in and I'm playing a practice round on the Sat too

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:27 pm

Sorry Jas, not this year. I am unable to make it next weekend. Played Trevose last Monday in a charity event. Course is in good nick, roughs up but looks worse than it plays, greens also in good condition. You'll have a good comp if weathers ok. Seem to remember it was a little wet and windy last year. Then again that could have been virtually any day!!

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:44 pm

That's good to hear it's in good nick, shame you can't make it and yes it was shocking conditions last year. I couldn't reach 16 with the driver both rounds.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down