The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Wrestling Year Reviewed - 1996

5 posters

Go down

A Wrestling Year Reviewed - 1996 Empty A Wrestling Year Reviewed - 1996

Post by greggschickenbake Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:08 pm

After being furiously dry-humped by the Yeti, randy we're now into the year 1996. WCW and WWF(E) are neck and neck in the ratings war with both on a equal footing each week, however, during the summer of '96, the ratings would have a significant momentum shift towards WCW.

Shawn Michaels 2nd Royal Rumble win, Diesel claiming that he was the 'sh*t' and Goldust stalking Razor Ramon; this is what the WWF showed to entice their viewer into watching and buying their shows.

'THE BOYHOOD DREAM HAS COME TRUE'

In the WWF, 1996 belonged to Shawn Michaels. The event was Wrestlemania 12 and Shawn Michaels boyhood dream had finally been realised. He broke the glass ceiling and finally achieved his dream in becoming the WWF Champion. The match was pretty good as well. thumbsup
Even though Shawn Michaels reign was overshadowed by the company down the road, some of the matches and performances put on during his reign (minus the Vader match at Summerslam) were world-class e.g Shawn Michaels vs Mankind at IYH 10: Mind Games.

'SICK AND TIRED OF BEING SICK AND TIRED'

The deranged Mankind debuted in April '96 making an example out of Bob Holly and even though we didn't know it then, Mankind was involved in the WWF's storyline of the year. Mankind decided to stalk and destroy the demon of death valley. Many had tried, only for them to perish. Mankind, however, was shown to be as sick and possibly sicker than The Undertaker. Who can forget the brutal 'Boiler Room' match in which the once loyal Paul Bearer turned on his Undertaker, the first appearance of the druids, The Undertaker's vignettes promising that Mankind's 'maggot infested soul' would R.I.P and the brutal burying of The Undertaker followed by his hand breaking through the soil and holding onto the creatures of the night. It made for compelling TV in my opinion.

'AUSTIN 3:16 SAYS I JUST WHIPPED YOUR A**E'

'You thump your bible and it didn't get you anywhere'. Austin 3:16 had arrived. Fate is a funny thing. If the Kliq didn't do what they did and Austin never made that speech, Austin 3:16 would never have been born and the most popular and famous star of the generation would never have existed. As Austin ran through his competition in the WWF, Austin wanted to make a statement. Stone Cold promised to tick off everyone on his list, the next man on his list of Bret 'The Hitman' Hart. Austin taunted and goaded 'The Hitman' into a match at Survivor Series '96 in MSG. This rivalry which followed into the next year was the beginning of the rise of Stone Cold.

'WHO'S SIDE IS HE ON?

'Hulk Hogan has betrayed WCW. He's the third man in this picture.' - Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan.

Possibly, the greatest heel turn of all time. Hulk Hogan turns his back on his 'Hulkamaniacs' and joins The Outsiders to form the NWO. The build-up which debuted Scott Hall and Kevin Nash was brilliant. Debuting them as 'outsiders' who were invading the WCW. Both planning to undermine and take over WCW. They said there was a 'third man' in the picture who would be debuted at BATB '96. The tension built as the third man didn't appear for the match. As the match progressed, Hogan appeared on the ramp, the fans didn't expect it, no-one expected Hogan to turn on his fans. The scene of Hogan parading with Nash and Hall with rubbish in the ring is cemented in the mind of WCW fans. A truly great/sad day in professional wrestling which would signal the rise of WCW dominating the 'Monday Night Wars' throughout 1997 but also the eventual downfall. The NWO was a cancer which soon toppled WCW from the inside.

KEY MOMENTS

Royal Rumble '96 - Shawn Michaels wins the Royal Rumble for the 2nd year.

Wrestlemania 12 - Shawn Michaels wins the WWF Championship. The Undertaker defeats Diesel.

WWF House Show May 19th - The now infamous 'Curtain Call' incident in which the Kliq (Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Diesel and Razor Ramon) embrace in the ring breaking character.

KOTR '96 - Stone Cold wins the 'King of the Ring' and Austin 3:16 is born.

BATB '96 - Hulk Hogan is the 'third man' and establishes the NWO. He becomes 'Hollywood' Hogan in the process.

Summerslam '96 - Paul Bearer turns on The Undertaker and aligns himself with Mankind

IYH: Buried Alive - Mankind buries The Undertaker.

Raw 4/11/96 - 'Pillman got a gun' segment.

Last edited by greggschickenbake on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

A Wrestling Year Reviewed - 1996 Empty Re: A Wrestling Year Reviewed - 1996

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:12 pm

Brilliant review mate and even though I am only 19 years old I have taken a liken to this year and watched all the PPV's. I have to agree with you massively on the HBK v Mankind match at IYH : Mind Games. Brilliant! thumbsup

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:13 pm

Damn, 96 was a good year too!

So many memories from this year, the ones you mentioned of course, as well as Jim Ross commenting on Paul Bearer's turn "Paul Bearer has turned his back on 6 years, a legacy" as Mankind's piano theme played in the background. Sting's turn towards the 'Crow' gimmick - "The only thing for sure about Sting, is nothing's for sure".

Great recap mate, frickin' love these! thumbsup

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by greggschickenbake Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:15 pm

I forgot about the most important superstar; SUPER GIANT NINJA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZSUNVyW6-w

Thanks for the positive feedback, I usually do these with memory only. Should have remembered Sting. Damn.

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:19 pm

Ah don't worry about it mate, there's always guys like me ready to rain on your parade by pointing out stuff you missed! Very Happy

In all seriousness though, you do a great job if that's all just from memory thumbsup

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by greggschickenbake Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:22 pm

Haha, I do like the feedback though. Much prefer it rather than not.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Any years that you would want to see reviewed? Trying not to go for the obvious ones. 1998 would be a good one seeing as there's a lot to type about but it's pretty obvious.

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:24 pm

How about 2002? That'd be a good one.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by greggschickenbake Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:40 pm

Good suggestion. thumbsup I shall do it sometime tomorrow.

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 8:44 pm

Good man, look forward to it thumbsup

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 9:10 pm

Nice review very enjoyable read....

Late 80's or early 90's if your up for doing anymore

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 18 Apr 2011, 9:48 pm

Another great review, the last time you said 97 was underrated, I actually think this yeaq is underrated

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 9:53 pm

The prelude to the attitude era (late 95-Wrestlemania 14) in my opinion was much better than the actual attitude era itself. Storylines weren't as over the top

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Apr 2011, 9:59 pm

Highly enjoyable thread, may have to check some of the stuff out, being 4 at the time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down