The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would (Waikato) Chiefs fair in the Heineken Cup?

+2
Biltong
Morgannwg
6 posters

Go down

How would (Waikato) Chiefs fair in the Heineken Cup? Empty How would (Waikato) Chiefs fair in the Heineken Cup?

Post by Morgannwg Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:42 pm

So after some comments saying how Leinster would finish bottom of a S15 conference, I thought we should turn things around and look at how the current S15 champs would fair in the top european competition.

In recent years; Australia have lost to the Ospreys, South Africa have lost to Leicester, All Blacks managed to scrape past a reserve Munster team. All these 'club' teams have struggled to make the latter stages of the Heineken Cup in the last couple of seasons and have certainly paled in comparison to Leinster.

So looking at it simply, Chiefs would struggle to make it out of the pool stages nevermind walk the competition.

Is my analysis fair or what?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

How would (Waikato) Chiefs fair in the Heineken Cup? Empty Re: How would (Waikato) Chiefs fair in the Heineken Cup?

Post by Biltong Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:50 pm

Sorry Morg, but I strongly believe the Chiefs team of this yer would walk any club in the world.

Not saying they arecunbeatable, but the pace they play at and the physicality not only from their forwards but backs as well is unbelieveable.

They are strong in every facet, be it scrum, lineout, rucks, defence and especially attack.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

How would (Waikato) Chiefs fair in the Heineken Cup? Empty Re: How would (Waikato) Chiefs fair in the Heineken Cup?

Post by Morgannwg Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:50 pm

So are Leinster.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:53 pm

Morgannwg wrote:So after some comments saying how Leinster would finish bottom of a S15 conference, I thought we should turn things around and look at how the current S15 champs would fair in the top european competition.

In recent years; Australia have lost to the Ospreys, South Africa have lost to Leicester, All Blacks managed to scrape past a reserve Munster team. All these 'club' teams have struggled to make the latter stages of the Heineken Cup in the last couple of seasons and have certainly paled in comparison to Leinster.

So looking at it simply, Chiefs would struggle to make it out of the pool stages nevermind walk the competition.

Yes this analysis is completely fair. Insightful. Ground breaking. Brings us all onto another level of thinking.

Astonishing. Astounding.

Einstein should be stood in his corner.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:55 pm

They probably would beat leinster. But i dont care because id much rather watch HC than super 15.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:So after some comments saying how Leinster would finish bottom of a S15 conference, I thought we should turn things around and look at how the current S15 champs would fair in the top european competition.

Yes this analysis is completely fair. Insightful. Ground breaking. Brings us all onto another level of thinking.

Astonishing. Astounding.

Einstein should be stood in his corner.

thumbsup ghost
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:31 pm

In reality the HC is hugely effected by home/away games, where would the Chiefs be based?

Also how would the international windows effect the Chiefs performance, would the first few reounds come straight after the rugby championship, would certain players be on international duty?
Would the Chiefs have played a Super season directly before the HC tourny?
Will they play in a european league at the same time?

I'm also considering the effects of the Chiefs players having to play in stadia and under conditions they probably havn't endured before, a fine evening in Galway is not something you want to repeat too often, or the bright lights of the Parc?

Would the chiefs still attempt the same style of play, or would that be niaive up north, would they tuck their shirts in and play a less risky strategy against teams who defend far smarter and focus on defence more.

If someone could answer all of the above I could make a decision on wether they would be good or not.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:54 pm

We're applying the same criteria as Leinster were applied when they were predicted to finish bottom of a conference, so you should be able to answer it without having to restructure an entire season in your head.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

Well I didn't see the leinster getting smashed in the Super thread, but if I did I would want to know just as many details as Ive asked about the cheifs.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 06 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Morgannwg wrote:We're applying the same criteria as Leinster were applied when they were predicted to finish bottom of a conference, so you should be able to answer it without having to restructure an entire season in your head.

Oops Morg. You're basing it in AWoP's rules then (since no one else has been daft enough to suggest it). And under those rules the Chiefs would win the comp Wink.

The Chiefs would win all their home pool games, and probably get out of their pool. After that, who knows.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 06 Oct 2012, 5:20 pm

If I was applying certain variables then IMO it would go like this...

Chiefs
middle tier 2 team = Ospreys
middle tier 3 team = Glasgow
middle tier 4 team = Exeter

Is that fair enough?

At home comfortable enough, the O's scrum putting them under a bit of pressure and possibly an Exeter power game but I'd expect 10 - 14 points.

Away possibly LBP at Exeter and Ospreys and beating Glasgow, 4 - 8 points

Say 18 points averaged, qualification top (but only because Exeter and O's picking points off each other)

Home 1/4 final = win

1/2 final = depending on who playing, big name away I think they struggle, big name home 75/25 win their favour, smaller names home or away win.

Therefore IMHO anything but the group of death and the cheifs should qualify, group of death I say they don't have the experience of tight HC rugby to pull off enough results.

If they don't enter as top seed they might well struggle, if they do they may make semi/final dependant on home games.

But as this is all fantasy I could see the cheifs making the latter rounds is conceivable, but their current gfameplan may be a bit niaive to squeek the tight games.

Anything from 2nd place no qualification to making the semi's/final.

I'd put them as a strong tier 2 team, weaker tier 1 team.

(Apologies if my seedings are wrong havn't seen them this season

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down