The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At what point does Mayweather's inactivity remove him for your P4P list?

+7
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Soldier_Of_Fortune
manos de piedra
Liam_Main
coxy0001
Rowley
kevchadders
11 posters

Go down

At what point does Mayweather's inactivity remove him for your P4P list? Empty At what point does Mayweather's inactivity remove him for your P4P list?

Post by kevchadders Tue 19 Apr 2011, 1:45 pm

As we all know Mayweather is still inactive with no sign of him coming back to fight. Also a year (May 1st) is fast approaching where he had his last fight against Mosley.

With the recent topic about P4P top 10, Mayweather is still in there, so my question is if there is still no sign from him on making a fight at what point do you remove him from your P4P list?

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

At what point does Mayweather's inactivity remove him for your P4P list? Empty Re: At what point does Mayweather's inactivity remove him for your P4P list?

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2011, 1:47 pm

Kev believe Boxing Monthly do this after a year apart from in cases of injury. This seems eminently reasonable to me. Would perhaps be willing to make an allowance if something was signed and sealed but in the absence of this think removing him come May seems fair.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

At what point does Mayweather's inactivity remove him for your P4P list? Empty Re: At what point does Mayweather's inactivity remove him for your P4P list?

Post by kevchadders Tue 19 Apr 2011, 1:51 pm

rowley wrote:Kev believe Boxing Monthly do this after a year apart from in cases of injury. This seems eminently reasonable to me. Would perhaps be willing to make an allowance if something was signed and sealed but in the absence of this think removing him come May seems fair.

I was thinking the same, and as that year is less than 2 weeks away it will be interesting to see what Boxing Monthly/Ring Magazine etc do after May 1st.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 19 Apr 2011, 1:52 pm

May unless he's making noises about fighting post court case i.e. gets a fight signed.

Mitigating circumstances
Illness/injury (depending on how long term and when they know they'll be back)

The Ring (Who hold the difinitive rankings) have kept fighters in for longer than a year before due to the above circumstances.

It's not rocket science, although one "poster" may disagree with that.

And i really couldn't care less to be honest

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 19 Apr 2011, 1:54 pm

Mayweather needs to come out and say if he's going to fight anymore no one has a clue if he's going too or not.After May1st if Mayweather says nothing about his future he should be taken off the P4P lists.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 1:55 pm

I think it depends on the circumstances. Mayweather has had all that legal hassle going on so its hard to know if he would have had a fight without it.

I would probably give him this year to have at least one fight.

But its only slightly relevant because I would give him an emeritus status. If hes removed altogether and then announces a fight he pretty much goes back in where he was for me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

Agree Liam, don't know whether it is the ongoing situation with him and Manny, his actions outside the ring or his lack of action inside of it but am absolutely bored rigid of the guy. Don't get me wrong have nothing but admiration for his ability when he does actually climb through the ropes but dear god c*ap or get off the pot.

If he plans to carry on fighting all well and good, get something signed and get on with it, if not announce your retirement and please exit stage left and let us get on with watching guys who can actually be bothered to get through the ropes andf fight.

Finally apologies to Kev because a comment like this could attract the usual debate

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 19 Apr 2011, 2:28 pm

I have already taken him off my list as i cant see him fighting before 01/05/2011

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 3:00 pm

His legal troubles have stopped him fighting. Bit pointless taking him off until we know if he will fight again. Roger seems to think he will and if you take him off you would need to put him back on when he announces he is fighting again. Seems pointless.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 19 Apr 2011, 3:05 pm

Don't see why Floyd can't just come out say if he is or not I know he's got legal problems but he surely knows in his head if he wants to continue with boxing or not.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 3:42 pm

He is dealing with the legal troubles they are more important their is the potential for him to go to prison if found guilty. That's more important than where people place him on a P4P list. If he doesn't go to prison he should fight again this year but don't think he will fight any more than 3 more times anyway.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Apr 2011, 3:48 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:Don't see why Floyd can't just come out say if he is or not I know he's got legal problems but he surely knows in his head if he wants to continue with boxing or not.

I'm afraid Mayweather's head doesnt function like most other human beings!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 19 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

i really don't think he will fight again, not based on any evidence what so ever, just the impression i get. surely something would have been mentioned in all this time. brahmer has legal problems and still has a fight planned with cleverly, so it is not impossible

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 19 Apr 2011, 4:40 pm

I don't really buy the legal problems excuse, other boxers have face prison sentences and have not let it hinder there career.

Other boxer have also faced much more trying circumstances and have continued to boxed.

Mayweather has been doing record labels gambling in Vegas watching NFL games.

He has a team of lawyers dealing with legal problems.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:03 pm

i think its a shame somebody with that talent has that sort of attitude- seems a waste

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:08 pm

in four years he's only fought and beat jmm and mosley thats not good enough to get anywhere near a current p4p list imo. if we compare other fighters there are plenty better

even carl frochs looks a hell alot better, in four years he's beat pascal, taylor, dirrel and abraham

Last edited by compelling and rich on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : date mixed up)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:16 pm

compelling and rich wrote:in four years he's only fought and beat jmm and mosley thats not good enough to get anywhere near a current p4p list imo. if we compare other fighters there are plenty better

even carl frochs looks a hell alot better, in four years he's beat robin reid, pascal, taylor, dirrel and abraham

But that isnt what pound for pound is. Record actually has nothing to do with pound for in theory. Pound for pound is supposed to reflect who the best fighters are accounting for weight differences.

Record can be an indicator or a tool used to evaluate. But its not what the list is based on.

Mayweather is clearly an elite fighter and it actually doesnt matter a great deal if he only fights once a year as long as it reflects that his skills havent diminished..

If you think hes inactive enough to warrant being removed from the list then he can be removed but it makes no sense if you start rating him below fighters that are not as good.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:16 pm

He retired after Hatton so judging him over 4 years in unfair he only returned to the ring a year and a half ago. It's not a great record but he should be top 2 or not in it at all. Donaire or Marquez aren't talented enough to be ahead of him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:23 pm

manos - so i could still have morrales on then? he did alright in his last showing? not at his best but still showed some skills of old. you have to use current and recent fights as guide otherswise you get stupid ones like my last example.

generally i would disagree of what the p4p has become, it has become more like ratings today with one win propelling you right up the table. it was once meant to be what you were referring to be just dont see it that way anymore with the way people move righters right up there after one win. martinez and mosley two recent examples

if p4p were mearly who's the best then it wouldnt change at all

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:38 pm

compelling and rich wrote:manos - so i could still have morrales on then? he did alright in his last showing? not at his best but still showed some skills of old. you have to use current and recent fights as guide otherswise you get stupid ones like my last example.

generally i would disagree of what the p4p has become, it has become more like ratings today with one win propelling you right up the table. it was once meant to be what you were referring to be just dont see it that way anymore with the way people move righters right up there after one win. martinez and mosley two recent examples

if p4p were mearly who's the best then it wouldnt change at all

Why would you possibly have Morales on it? There is no case for him. All hes done is categorically shown hes way past his best.

The list is about who the best fighters are. If you consider Mayweahter to be an active boxer then I dont see how anyone outside of D4 could consider the likes of Marquez or Martinez to be a better fighter than him.

If you consider him too inactive then take him out and re insert him if he becomes active again. But to just decide to start ranking inferior fighters ahead of him because he hasnt been active enough defeats the purpose of the list unless you actually believe that Martinez is now a superior fighter to him.

If you want do a list on recent record or form then theres a good case to have Mayweather ranked lower but not if your actually trying to do a list on who the best fighters are.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:45 pm

i dont have him on my list

but when somebody asks what there current p4p list is you surely have to take into account current form dont you? if a fighters doesnt fight how the hell you suppose to know how good he is. mayweathers last good win was hatton which was in 2007.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:50 pm

It is a tricky balance to acheive, like most people I consider Haye a more gifted fighter than Froch but cannot have him above him on the British list because I simply cannot ignore the run of top tier opposition Froch is on and Haye feasting on the likes of Audley and Ruiz has to count against him.

Otherwise there is no real motivation for fighters to step out of their comfort zone and test themselves, and as we all know where I rank them on a subjective online list is the motivating factor behind all fighters careers

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:06 pm

compelling and rich wrote:i dont have him on my list

but when somebody asks what there current p4p list is you surely have to take into account current form dont you? if a fighters doesnt fight how the hell you suppose to know how good he is. mayweathers last good win was hatton which was in 2007.

If you dont know how good someone is then by all means refer to record or form. I for instance find it impossible to accurately rate Wongjankom. His record asks more qestions than it answers. But in cases where you DO know how good a fighter is like Mayweather then to conciously put him below a fighter you think is not as good just means the list will be a confused reflection of what its supposed to be. Pound for pound was not designed to punish fighters or be about recent form. Form is only temporary. Yet a guy can go from 5th to 50th these days on the back of a loss. Clearly this doesnt make sense and indicates the lists are being compiled innacurately in the first place.

The Mosely fight was only a year ago. It may not have been an elite win but it was more than enough to reinforce what a quality fighter Mayweather is. If he had laboured or lost then by all means downgrade him but not for winning a virtual shut out in a manner few expected him to. I think people are starting to forget that Mosely was actually rated at the time and not the unrated version Pacquiao is currently facing.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:10 pm

rowley wrote:It is a tricky balance to acheive, like most people I consider Haye a more gifted fighter than Froch but cannot have him above him on the British list because I simply cannot ignore the run of top tier opposition Froch is on and Haye feasting on the likes of Audley and Ruiz has to count against him.

Otherwise there is no real motivation for fighters to step out of their comfort zone and test themselves, and as we all know where I rank them on a subjective online list is the motivating factor behind all fighters careers

I have Froch 1 also but while Haye can be considered to be more skillful, I dont think hes proved hes actually a better fighter in terms of the complete package. I actually think Froch is the better fighter overall until Haye proves otherwise by beating a Klitschko.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:45 pm

manos de piedra wrote:

If you dont know how good someone is then by all means refer to record or form. I for instance find it impossible to accurately rate Wongjankom. His record asks more qestions than it answers. But in cases where you DO know how good a fighter is like Mayweather then to conciously put him below a fighter you think is not as good just means the list will be a confused reflection of what its supposed to be. Pound for pound was not designed to punish fighters or be about recent form. Form is only temporary. Yet a guy can go from 5th to 50th these days on the back of a loss. Clearly this doesnt make sense and indicates the lists are being compiled innacurately in the first place.

The Mosely fight was only a year ago. It may not have been an elite win but it was more than enough to reinforce what a quality fighter Mayweather is. If he had laboured or lost then by all means downgrade him but not for winning a virtual shut out in a manner few expected him to. I think people are starting to forget that Mosely was actually rated at the time and not the unrated version Pacquiao is currently facing.

When Floyd beat Mosley, Sugar Shane was ranked top 5 on most P4P lists and was coming off the back of his win over Maragarito. He may not be elite anymore but he was at the time.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:04 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

When Floyd beat Mosley, Sugar Shane was ranked top 5 on most P4P lists and was coming off the back of his win over Maragarito. He may not be elite anymore but he was at the time.

I rate Mosely as a "good" win. But not an "elite" win. Mosely was just too old at the time to classify it as such. Its more than enough to indicate that Mayweather is still an elite fighter though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:15 pm

Mosley was one of the top fighters in the world at the time. Think he could have been classed as elite apart from Manny he was the best around and many people were tipping him to beat Floyd.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:18 pm

feel free to check on old 606 to see that i was writing off mosley before the mayweather fight. again arguing the point that most people had him flying up the rankings because the one victory over a tough but limited margirito. where his previous fights he looked shocking against mayorga being well down on points on my card untill the 2.59 minute of the 12 round. against someone more smarter he wouldnt have won. and before that he was beat by cotto. a defeat against cotto squeaked through against mayorga and a win against marg and people had him at 3 in the p4p rankings!!!

mosley was a great fighter but at the time he clearly wasnt anywhere near his best. mosley had great speed something you lose first as you get old. while he was good two wins over oscar on his cv isnt good enough to rank him as one of the best. his two loses against winky and vernon have to go against him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:32 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Mosley was one of the top fighters in the world at the time. Think he could have been classed as elite apart from Manny he was the best around and many people were tipping him to beat Floyd.

He may, arguably, have been the best Welter outside Pacquiao but that doesnt automatically make him elite. He enjoyed a good win over Margarito in circumstances which Margarito may not have been totally focused but having watched him struggle with Mayorga before that and lose to Cotto there was no way I was classing him as an elite fighter, especially given his age. An elite fighter in his day who had faded to some extent.

I think his pound for pound standing at the time was largely down to his career and reputation rather than his actual ability at that stage.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:41 pm

Top 5 P4P fighters should be considered elite. If not then the top 2 must be exceptional.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:43 pm

rowley wrote:It is a tricky balance to acheive, like most people I consider Haye a more gifted fighter than Froch but cannot have him above him on the British list because I simply cannot ignore the run of top tier opposition Froch is on and Haye feasting on the likes of Audley and Ruiz has to count against him.

That the difference from having perceived talent and going out there and proving it. Froch has gone out there and proved it to a higher level than Haye.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:54 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Top 5 P4P fighters should be considered elite. If not then the top 2 must be exceptional.

Why? We have pretty strong supporting evidence to suggest that Mosely was not actually elite and his ranking flattered him.

He had lost to Cotto and struggled with Mayorga. He beat Margarito but the circumstances make it hard to assess the true quality of the win due to Margarito having illegal wraps exposed just prior to the fight.

Then with hindsight we have seen him get well beaten by Mayweather and struggle with a very average Mora.

I guess the question is what constitutes elite? I consider it to mean a very high level. I would consider Mosley elite during his peak but for me he had aged significantly enough by the Mayweather fight for me to consider him a level below elite.

But he may fit the description under a looser interpretation of elite.

Maquez for instance is generally ranked about 5 now and Im not sure I would consider him elite anymore as my gut feeling is he has started to slide beyond that point.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:34 pm

Mosley looks an old fighter now but their wasn't much evidence of that before the Mayweather fight. Mayorga is a tough fight and on his day Cotto could beat anyone.
Elite for me is the top 4 or 5 guys in the sport and 2 years ago I would have put Mosley in that bracket. Would have backed him to beat most at the weight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down