The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to move from Heineken Cup to European League?

+8
Poorfour
AlastairW
thebluesmancometh
SecretFly
HammerofThunor
Avalon
21st Century Schizoid Man
Gordy
12 posters

Go down

Time to move from Heineken Cup to European League? Empty Time to move from Heineken Cup to European League?

Post by Gordy Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:11 pm

Ongoing disputes over the Heineken Cup, club rugby struggling in Wales and Scotland due to lack of investment, money and incompetance, the Celtic League lacking intensity. How would people feel about abandoning the Heineken Cup and domestic leagues in favour of a full two tiered All European club rugby league featuring all of the 6 Nations and involving cooperation from all 6 rugby unions? No more splitting time between domestic leagues and European Cup rugby, but having it all as one and the same. What do people think?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Time to move from Heineken Cup to European League? Empty Re: Time to move from Heineken Cup to European League?

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

Gordy,

I would like it to see something like this but it will never happen due to self interest in certain RUs

Back to top Go down

Time to move from Heineken Cup to European League? Empty Re: Time to move from Heineken Cup to European League?

Post by Avalon Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

I think the thing that makes the Heineken Cup so special is that you only rarely play sides from other leagues and it's a "special" occasion coming up against, say, a French powerhouse like Toulouse.

Also, it would be a real shame to lose (or dilute) the traditional rivalries you get in the domestic leagues by mixing everyone together in one pot.

How about travelling fans? Most folk can afford the odd nice trip out to somewhere in France or Italy a couple of times a season but not week-in week-out. Domestic leagues (well not so much the multinational Pro12) allow you the option of attending more away games. You're cutting down the potential number of supporters for away games and possibly affecting match atmospheres.

Things might not be perfect as they are but I wouldn't welcome a European Super League.

I'm coming from the point of view of an English fan who watches mainly Aviva Premiership and bit of Pro12 and Top14.

Avalon

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:39 pm

Why? The only reason this would happen is if you were unhappy with you league. I think most English club fans are happy with the Jeff. The French seem happy with theirs. It sounds like most PRO12 supporters are happy with their league...so what would be the point.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 16 Oct 2012, 9:24 pm

I agree with Hammer. We're happy in our personal leagues and they are manageable (even given that two of our sides in Pro12 operate about 900 miles from most of us.)

The good thing about HEC is that it isn't a league but a relatively concentrated crash course in putting your best foot forward - or trying to. It retains its exotic nature because the sides that meet are not always so familiar with each other and that can always keep things interesting.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 16 Oct 2012, 9:36 pm

Trust me, 5 minutes in a multi national league where flying is the only method of travel to away games, where stadiums are poorly visited, and games pretty meaningless and you'll wish you hadn't opened your mouth...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue 16 Oct 2012, 9:43 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Trust me, 5 minutes in a multi national league where flying is the only method of travel to away games, where stadiums are poorly visited, and games pretty meaningless and you'll wish you hadn't opened your mouth...

Sounds like the Rabbo Pro 12 except with full strength teams to be honest.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 16 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

...so it's back to an AP v Pro12 thread? That was quick Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:30 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:where stadiums are poorly visited...

This is one of those disparities which have raised an eye-brow for me through out R1 this year. Regardless of who's playing, put all those arguements aside for one minute, in the south of France there was an attendances of 28,000. On the flip side there was barely over 6K in Murrayfield.

I think these differences would be highlighted even more by a European league.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:45 am

AlastairW wrote:

This is one of those disparities which have raised an eye-brow for me through out R1 this year. Regardless of who's playing, put all those arguements aside for one minute, in the south of France there was an attendances of 28,000. On the flip side there was barely over 6K in Murrayfield.

I went to Toulon last year for the Amlin QF, and it was a real eye-opener. Rugby really is at the heart of the community - literally (the stadium backs onto the civic centre) and metaphorically (buses were alternating their destination with "Allez les RCT" and "Welcome Harlequins"). If rugby in the British Isles ever reaches that level of commitment then we might be able to talk about a super-league (but by the same token probably wouldn't need one).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:57 am

At the start of European rugby when structures were being discussed a european league was suggested but unsurprisingly the English teams did not want to join in. the result was what is now the rabo.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:02 am

It won't happen because you would have to mix private clubs and Union franchises, which would cause issues. We have seen it with the 9 match HC competition - imagine the issues with a 20+ fixture season....

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:05 am

It's an interesting concept and one that I have heard mentioned by Shane Logan (Ulster Rugby CE) in the past. It works well in the SH with Super 15's and that includes a lot of travel. I wouldn't distance myself from the idea.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:09 am

I'm not sure the English clubs would like being in the second tier though Wink

Seriously....I'll keep an open mind but I thing the obstacles are too big to overcome.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:09 am

Poorfour wrote:
AlastairW wrote:

I went to Toulon last year for the Amlin QF, and it was a real eye-opener. Rugby really is at the heart of the community - literally (the stadium backs onto the civic centre) and metaphorically (buses were alternating their destination with "Allez les RCT" and "Welcome Harlequins"). If rugby in the British Isles ever reaches that level of commitment then we might be able to talk about a super-league (but by the same token probably wouldn't need one).

Sounds like a good excuse to get myself to the south of France Poorfour thumbsup

Obviously i'd like a home QF, but if we manage (fingers crossed!) to play an away match in France as things start getting warmer, it would be a great excuse to go down for a long weekend. A few of the weekends pre-match snippets were a real eye opener as to how much the French love their Rugby down there.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:11 am

TJ wrote:At the start of European rugby when structures were being discussed a european league was suggested but unsurprisingly the English teams did not want to join in. the result was what is now the rabo.

Broken Record

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:43 am

In a league noramlly over a period of time you see the top teams consistanly finish at the top, (tigers in every final, Leinster not been below 3rd since 2004, etc etc) there is some changability but takes time.

In a european league the same would happen, and it would go a little stale, with the current format, the top teams don't constantly finish top and there is more rotation of who the top teams are Domestic leagues, and best of the best European cup, keeps it Fresh.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down