The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk of O'Driscoll playing superxv...

+12
profitius
ScarletSpiderman
thebandwagonsociety
Pot Hale
Notch
The Boss
SecretFly
Kingshu
Portnoy's Complaint
Mickado
George Carlin
Taylorman
16 posters

Go down

Talk of O'Driscoll playing superxv... Empty Talk of O'Driscoll playing superxv...

Post by Taylorman Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:48 pm

Would love to see him in the Auckland Blues for a year with Nonu doing his usual about turn again and going to the Highlanders... (good news I reckon...hasnt performed at sxv at all last two years- needs good players around him I reckon...)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10841032

Instead it might be the Warratahs... furious

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Talk of O'Driscoll playing superxv... Empty Re: Talk of O'Driscoll playing superxv...

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:46 am

Makes sense - BOD loves scoring tries in Australia.
Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Talk of O'Driscoll playing superxv... Empty Re: Talk of O'Driscoll playing superxv...

Post by Mickado Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:53 am

Read about this last week. while I wouldn’t begrudge the fella a season in any league I doubt he will go abroad at all.

In Ireland professional sportsmen can claim back 40% of the tax they paid over their 10 most profitable years of employment once retired, providing they retire in Ireland. While it’s not impossible that BOD will keep playing for another 2 seasons after this, I’d say it’s unlikely.

Anyway, if he does go I’m sure he’ll do well, it would be a bit of a novelty for such an established NH International with such success at club level to head down south.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:30 am

What happens if BOD gets crocked abroad and can't another pro job?
Can he go back to Dublin and (say) serve fries in McDonalds and reclaim his tax pot?

I've always been curious by this Irish tax perk. It seems perfectly logical as a nation but in terms of the EU, it seems a strange anomaly.
Can overseas workers claim the same benefit?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:52 am

There was a comment on it in Irish sunday indepe, saying that last time his contract was up for renewal he was photographed in Biarritz with players or coaches or something, just the same thing he's talking about super XV so as to get a good new contract.

A one year extension on his central contact, with the option of a second year sounds about right to me.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:23 am

Grey, he has to retire in Ireland as a pro rugby player.

King, not sure BOD needs to drum up this kind of publicity to get a new contract to be honest.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:09 am

greytiger wrote:
I've always been curious by this Irish tax perk. It seems perfectly logical as a nation but in terms of the EU, it seems a strange anomaly.

Another strange anomaly is that some of us have Royalty and are therefore 'subject' and some of us have Presidents and are therefore 'citizens'. Another strange anomaly is that the Spanish have bullfighting and the British ban foxhunting. Another strange anomaly is that I personally vote for an Irish president and yet I don't have the right to personally vote for the EU one.

Anomalies and Europe are fine bedfellows. Wink The United States of Europe might be around the corner in some enthusiasts eyes, but it isn't here yet. We're still a collection of Independent States agreeing to cooperate at a certain level and on certain things. In other things we reserve the rights to decide for ourselves.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 17 Oct 2012, 1:23 pm

Heard a radio interview with him on Today FM this morning and he more or less said there was no chance. Said that hed been asked the question in an interview with some Australian journalists and the brought up the Cheika link and he said that he just didn't have the heart to flat out say no.

He could be just trying to cover his steps I suppose?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 17 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

Thats a shame, i think it would be great. Great for him as a player and great for a bunch of younger Ireland centres to have the chance to move out from under his shadow.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 17 Oct 2012, 1:37 pm

Do you think that Ireland would drop BOD if he played down under or do you just mean that the younger centres would have more chance without the ghost of BOD. In the league for them to be compared against?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 17 Oct 2012, 2:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:
greytiger wrote:

Another strange anomaly is that some of us have Royalty and are therefore 'subject' and some of us have Presidents and are therefore 'citizens'. Another strange anomaly is that the Spanish have bullfighting and the British ban foxhunting. Another strange anomaly is that I personally vote for an Irish president and yet I don't have the right to personally vote for the EU one.

Anomalies and Europe are fine bedfellows. Wink The United States of Europe might be around the corner in some enthusiasts eyes, but it isn't here yet. We're still a collection of Independent States agreeing to cooperate at a certain level and on certain things. In other things we reserve the rights to decide for ourselves.

A certain degree of tax harmonisation in the Euro Zone maybe on the cards a little bit sooner than an ESU.

But from earlier comments it appears that BOD would have to end his career in Ireland in order to reap the tax benefit.
Shame that Jedward are protected under the same tax breaks.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm

The Daily Telegraph report linked in the OP is a re-heat.

It's nicked from an article about two weeks ago in which he was asked whether he'd consider Super Rugby now that Cheika was at Tahs.

He said that he considered it before the World Cup and made a couple of inquiries about taking some downtime post RWC, and then playing in the 2012 SR season. His complimentary remarks about the comp were made in that context.

However, the re-heat has worked with the story gaining legs that he's considering the 2014 season. Cheika is now trying to flatten the story saying that local talent is the priority and he doesn't want to disrupt BOD's season with idle talk
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 18 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

greytiger wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
greytiger wrote:

A certain degree of tax harmonisation in the Euro Zone maybe on the cards a little bit sooner than an ESU.

But from earlier comments it appears that BOD would have to end his career in Ireland in order to reap the tax benefit.

So Jedward are sportspeople now?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 18 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

I saw this story bubbling during the week and just assumed that his agent is lining up the next round of IRFU contract negotiations and wants to generate articles showing he could leave. Sexton and Heaslip won't be far behind in the rumour mill, wait for potential Lions selection and then see that guy work his magic. Do they have the same agent? I think they might. The guy who always threatens 3N or Top14 moves but nevers takes his guys out of Ireland.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 18 Oct 2012, 3:16 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
greytiger wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
greytiger wrote:

So Jedward are sportspeople now?

Well it would be easy for them to be better rugby players than signers.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put comment into wrong place like a fool)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 18 Oct 2012, 3:20 pm

Being serious would he be offered another Central Contract after this season? I mean if he was uncertain of getting another contract, then it would make sense to see what other options are available to him outside of Ireland.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:18 pm

BOD being linked with foreign teams comes up from time to time. Its very boring because hes not going to leave. He must retire in Ireland to get his tax back and he gets sponsorships etc. Australian rugby is short of money at the moment so I cannot see him going there. Theres also the wifes career to think about and as someone else said, unless shes offered a part on home and away I doubt she'll want to leave.

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Being serious would he be offered another Central Contract after this season? I mean if he was uncertain of getting another contract, then it would make sense to see what other options are available to him outside of Ireland.

He'll be offered another central contract. He is still one of the best players in Ireland even if he has lost a bit of speed and physicality.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

profitius wrote:BOD being linked with foreign teams comes up from time to time. Its very boring because hes not going to leave. He must retire in Ireland to get his tax back and he gets sponsorships etc. Australian rugby is short of money at the moment so I cannot see him going there. Theres also the wifes career to think about and as someone else said, unless shes offered a part on home and away I doubt she'll want to leave.

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Being serious would he be offered another Central Contract after this season? I mean if he was uncertain of getting another contract, then it would make sense to see what other options are available to him outside of Ireland.

He'll be offered another central contract. He is still one of the best players in Ireland even if he has lost a bit of speed and physicality.
You think BOD is worried about getting his tax back? the chap is loaded.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:16 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
You think BOD is worried about getting his tax back? the chap is loaded. [/quote]

He is loaded but the tax back is a nice healthy sum and it helps plenty of players stay in the country. Rugby players don't have anything like the money soccer players would.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 19 Oct 2012, 12:29 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
profitius wrote:BOD being linked with foreign teams comes up from time to time. Its very boring because hes not going to leave. He must retire in Ireland to get his tax back and he gets sponsorships etc. Australian rugby is short of money at the moment so I cannot see him going there. Theres also the wifes career to think about and as someone else said, unless shes offered a part on home and away I doubt she'll want to leave.

You think BOD is worried about getting his tax back? the chap is loaded.

10 years tax is a substantial sum. the more loaded you are the bigger it is.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 19 Oct 2012, 1:07 am

I honestly don't think the tax rebate is the primary reason for Irish players staying in Ireland. It helps obviously. It's an extra incentive. But at his peak, every member of the Leinster and Munster squads could end up making more overall if he moved to the likes of Toulon, Clermont or Toulouse. Irish players are payed well, but the French salary buddgets are simply on another level.

I think players want glory as well as shekels. And in the past 6 years or so, the Irish provinces offer the opportunity to gain European glory. And apart from that, even before Munster won their first HC, the Irish provinces have kept hold of all their best players. And I think that's because provincial identity and pride is a a big factor too.

We know how difficult it's been for the new Welsh regions to attract support and how much easier it's been for the Irish provinces to attract support to an ancient kingdom that actually really means something in Irish peoples hearts and souls. I think this is just as true for the players as it is for the fans. And that real sense of identity is a strong factor. And it's something that the Welsh regions can't manufacture. They can only hope to build loyalty to a thing called "Ospreylia" over time.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 19 Oct 2012, 2:01 am

In the next few years we could see Irish players going to France. The French clubs are getting richer and richer and everyone else is trying to keep up.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 19 Oct 2012, 12:42 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I think players want glory as well as shekels. And in the past 6 years or so, the Irish provinces offer the opportunity to gain European glory. And apart from that, even before Munster won their first HC, the Irish provinces have kept hold of all their best players. And I think that's because provincial identity and pride is a a big factor too.

I totally agree there. I also think that the tendancy for players to be ingnored internationally if they play outside of Ireland, and the fact their well looked after (rest training etc) for the province and international, must play a fair old part too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 21 Oct 2012, 1:30 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:I think players want glory as well as shekels. And in the past 6 years or so, the Irish provinces offer the opportunity to gain European glory. And apart from that, even before Munster won their first HC, the Irish provinces have kept hold of all their best players. And I think that's because provincial identity and pride is a a big factor too.

I totally agree there. I also think that the tendancy for players to be ingnored internationally if they play outside of Ireland, and the fact their well looked after (rest training etc) for the province and international, must play a fair old part too.

True Scarlet. The Irish are a bit stricter on that. In theory. But in practice, only less crucial players have been seemingly frozen out if they moved abroad. The only two really top class players I can think of that played abroad in recent times are Bowe and Geordan Murphy. Both got plenty of caps. And if O'Driscoll moved to Toulouse in 2005 I can't imagine he'd have been dropped. He's too good.

The Irish just have the balance right recently. They can't compete with French wages. But they can pay top players well, and also afford bigger squads than the Welsh. This results in a higher probability of success which also convinced players to stay. Throw in the tax rebate and the real history and pride of the provinces and it's resulted in the Irish being really successful at keeping close to all their best players at home for a decade now.

For the Welsh to emulate this they can only hope to build the regional pride over years and years. They can only build the big squads and compete financially if they increase attendances. They can't copy the tax rebate.

But I'd be quite positive that they can keep increasing support support gradually over time. Scarlets have I think. Such a huge change to regionalism was always gonna be very difficult. But changing to regionalism is like a trip to the dentist. It isn't much fun, but you'll be better off having done it in the long run.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:37 pm

profitius wrote:In the next few years we could see Irish players going to France. The French clubs are getting richer and richer and everyone else is trying to keep up.

The French salary cap of €8.3 million on wages means that the Irish provinces are not as far behind in pay as some commentators would have us think.

Ronan O'Gara said before that he could have made it worth his while to go to another club but the limit on the number of matches players play in Ireland made him think he should stay as well as emotional ties. The way that he put it was "we're well cared for here" I think. Most players want to keep playing rugby for as long as they can. Earning more money but burning out younger is not tempting for some.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down