The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations Richie McCaw

+7
aucklandlaurie
RuggerRadge2611
anotherworldofpain
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
chewed_mintie
disneychilly
Poorfour
11 posters

Go down

Congratulations Richie McCaw Empty Congratulations Richie McCaw

Post by Poorfour Thu 18 Oct 2012, 8:45 am

According to an article in the Times this morning, he recently became the first player to record 100 international victories (out of only 112 caps). From any other player, and any other team, that would be scarcely credible. But for him it seems fitting.

Well done.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Richie McCaw Empty Re: Congratulations Richie McCaw

Post by disneychilly Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:14 am

Poorfour you wouldn't happen to have a transcript of it? Times don't have free web any more. Flabbergasted the idea of a paper whom Stephen Jones works for would actually compliment a New Zealander Wink

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

There comments about this after last week’s game.

100 in 112 is a strike rate which will probably never really be bettered, unless Conrad Smith sticks around for 4 more years! It’s unbelievable though, for a player from any other nation to get to 100 test wins they’d have to play at least 160 tests

the winningest player of all time!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:22 am

Poorfour wrote:According to an article in the Times this morning, he recently became the first player to record 100 international victories (out of only 112 caps). From any other player, and any other team, that would be scarcely credible. But for him it seems fitting.

Well done.
+1

Nothing more to add

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:41 am

disneychilly wrote:Poorfour you wouldn't happen to have a transcript of it? Times don't have free web any more. Flabbergasted the idea of a paper whom Stephen Jones works for would actually compliment a New Zealander Wink

Here is the text from the times article for those who can't penetrate the Financial fire wall.

"Richie McCaw has cheated his way to 100 unconvincing victories. This shows exactly what a grip fellow Kiwi Paddy O'Brien had over the individual performances of referees. Of course like the typical weak spined, yellow livered coward he is McCaw is 'celebrating' this 'achievement' by taking a 'sabatical' (A New Zealand phrase meaning he is too scared to come and face the might of England next year when we've finished rebuilding and he is no longer sheltered by a countryman in charge of administrating the laws). I suppose we should say "well done Richie" or that's what the arrogant parochial New Zealanders would have us do. I would, but of course if I check his record on the big stage, where it counts, in semi-final knock out matches against France away from home, all I can say is he has a 0% record. Unlike Martin Johnson, now there was a captain, a warrior, a hero, a leader of men. [wipe]"

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:47 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:
disneychilly wrote:Poorfour you wouldn't happen to have a transcript of it? Times don't have free web any more. Flabbergasted the idea of a paper whom Stephen Jones works for would actually compliment a New Zealander Wink

Here is the text from the times article for those who can't penetrate the Financial fire wall.

"Richie McCaw has cheated his way to 100 unconvincing victories. This shows exactly what a grip fellow Kiwi Paddy O'Brien had over the individual performances of referees. Of course like the typical weak spined, yellow livered coward he is McCaw is 'celebrating' this 'achievement' by taking a 'sabatical' (A New Zealand phrase meaning he is too scared to come and face the might of England next year when we've finished rebuilding and he is no longer sheltered by a countryman in charge of administrating the laws). I suppose we should say "well done Richie" or that's what the arrogant parochial New Zealanders would have us do. I would, but of course if I check his record on the big stage, where it counts, in semi-final knock out matches against France away from home, all I can say is he has a 0% record. Unlike Martin Johnson, now there was a captain, a warrior, a hero, a leader of men. [wipe]"

laughing

Well done Richie McCaw. Legend to say the least. I really hope he plays against Scotland at Murrayfield to see him play one last time.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:49 am

"Richie McCaw has cheated his way to 100 unconvincing victories. This shows exactly what a grip fellow Kiwi Paddy O'Brien had over the individual performances of referees. Of course like the typical weak spined, yellow livered coward he is McCaw is 'celebrating' this 'achievement' by taking a 'sabatical' (A New Zealand phrase meaning he is too scared to come and face the might of England next year when we've finished rebuilding and he is no longer sheltered by a countryman in charge of administrating the laws). I suppose we should say "well done Richie" or that's what the arrogant parochial New Zealanders would have us do. I would, but of course if I check his record on the big stage, where it counts, in semi-final knock out matches against France away from home, all I can say is he has a 0% record. Unlike Martin Johnson, now there was a captain,
a warrior, a hero, a leader of men. [wipe]"

I presume one of the other rugby "experts" at the Times wrote the article, because if had been the bitter and twisted Welshman, the article would have concentrated more on McCaw choking twelve times.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
I presume one of the other rugby "experts" at the Times wrote the article, because if had been the bitter and twisted Welshman, the article would have concentrated more on McCaw choking twelve times.

Laugh

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 18 Oct 2012, 11:13 am

Laugh Now that's how it would have appeared if Stephen Jones had put it in the Sunday Times Smile

I bought the paper edition today (there's also an interesting article on the RFU's efforts to encourage players into refereeing)

Fortunately former England cricket captain Mike Atherton is more of a gentleman (as long as he's not on a cricket field holding a pinch of dirt and a cricket ball Wink )

Spoiler:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 18 Oct 2012, 11:19 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:

Laugh Now that's how it would have appeared if Stephen Jones had put it in the Sunday Times Smile

I bought the paper edition today (there's also an interesting article on the RFU's efforts to encourage players into refereeing)

Fortunately former England cricket captain Mike Atherton is more of a gentleman (as long as he's not on a cricket field holding a pinch of dirt and a cricket ball Wink )

Spoiler:

PS, sorry, the process for hosting the pic has cut off the last column - basically there's an anecdote about a survey on mental strength done in county cricket, followed by the observation that Josh Kronfeld's quote on McCaw's initial selection "You might as well just give All Black jerseys to anybody" was a tad premature, made when McCaw's innate mental strength wasn't obvious to everyone.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 18 Oct 2012, 11:25 am

Mike Atherton could cover cricket in summer and rugby in winter.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Oct 2012, 2:46 pm

Let me get this right. McCaw is in a Toyota Landcruiser and keeps winning horse races?

Amazing deduction by The Times that an ordinary jockey on an ordinary horse wouldn't win as many.
Or is it just saying that the amazing thing is that McCaw got to 112 caps in the first place, given how tough it is to cling to an AB career when the next oval ball genius is always breathing down your neck.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

Christ..!

There are points when you watch rugby throughout your lifespan that daunt your perspective on a sport you cherish.

I remember a try being worth three points, I remembered fifteen cap veterans, a Southern Hemisphere nation touring once a decade, maybe twice. Lions tours and barbarian fixtures being the pinnacle of excitement.

Players used to get four maybe five caps a year, a half century was the accolade of the greatest of the greatest.

Then came a thousand points, a hundred caps now a century of wins.

If I had told my mates in the school yard we would see a hundred wins one day I'd never have lived it down.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Christ..!

There are points when you watch rugby throughout your lifespan that daunt your perspective on a sport you cherish.

I remember a try being worth three points, I remembered fifteen cap veterans, a Southern Hemisphere nation touring once a decade, maybe twice. Lions tours and barbarian fixtures being the pinnacle of excitement.

Players used to get four maybe five caps a year, a half century was the accolade of the greatest of the greatest.

Then came a thousand points, a hundred caps now a century of wins.

If I had told my mates in the school yard we would see a hundred wins one day I'd never have lived it down.

I see what you are doing there Maes! Trying to belittle McCaws achievement as a merely some void inevitability of professionalism, rather than an awe-inspiring personal feat of endurance, commitment, talent and professionalism. Whilst simultaneously having a swipe at DC.

Nice work for what on the surface appears to be a nostalgic and amiable post.

Top WUMming!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

How on earth did you come to that bizarre conclusion? Why would you perceive that?

You are one incredibly strange character.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:30 pm

Yes, on reading it again, I have no idea.

Oh no I see now. When you compare "the greatest" having 50 caps, then suggest that through only passing of time someone got to 100, then it makes it sound like you can compare 50 caps in amateur days to a professional making 112 and 100 wins. When I believe you can't. Subtle point maybe, but I think it's fair to infer it.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:41 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Yes, on reading it again, I have no idea.

Oh no I see now. When you compare "the greatest" having 50 caps, then suggest that through only passing of time someone got to 100, then it makes it sound like you can compare 50 caps in amateur days to a professional making 112 and 100 wins. When I believe you can't. Subtle point maybe, but I think it's fair to infer it.

AWOP

You are full of BS.

Why all the constant Poopie stirring? You just make yourself a target for us all to dislike you and ignore your input.

Time you considered your contribution a bit more.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

I think you need to work on your English comprehension again awop. Either that or you're applying some incredibly tenuous logic to a bit of nostalgia about the good old days. In which case I suggest you spend a little time researching "Occam's Razor" and applying it's principles Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:50 pm

Jeez KRD – I don’t usually come on here to learn new things, but I’ve just researched Occam’s Razor and all I can say is....good call!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:03 pm

I laugh at Wiki's rendition on Occam's Razor.... it seems that in order to fully comprehend the Law one must first break every one of its rules and listen to a ton of explanatory waffle.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:05 pm

SecretFly wrote:I laugh at Wiki's rendition on Occam's Razor.... it seems that in order to fully comprehend the Law one must first break every one of its rules and listen to a ton of explanatory waffle.

I read that after I posted, and you're dead right.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

I think you need to work on your English comprehension again awop. Either that or you're applying some incredibly tenuous logic to a bit of nostalgia about the good old days. In which case I suggest you spend a little time researching "Occam's Razor" and applying it's principles Wink

Shocked

Kiwi R D

I am now fining you a shot for that statement - Erm

(Plus another for double booking this weekend) boxing

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:11 pm

Ps - Like him or not, that is a fantastic achievement

As pointed out, being in the best team in the world helps get wins, but he has also had to keep himself selected, stay injury free and generally be a great player for 100 wins

Well done clap

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:15 pm

Riskysports wrote:

Shocked

Kiwi R D

Fair enough. Though as I'm missing the poker night in favour of watching the Chief s it means the rest of you actually have a chance Wink

By the way, you're fined a shot for fining before the event.
(this could go around in circles for a while Whistle )

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:19 pm

Riskysports wrote:

Shocked

Kiwi R D

Fair enough. Though as I'm missing the poker night in favour of watching the Chief s it means the rest of you actually have a chance Wink

By the way, you're fined a shot for fining before the event.
(this could go around in circles for a while Whistle )

Well if we are going that way - I will be fining you ever raise in the blinds as you continue to forget to put your money in

have a good trip

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:39 pm

Must make any kiwi feel more confident having McCaw on the team sheet, what an unbelievable win rate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down