The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sad news about Spurs goalkeeper

2 posters

Go down

Sad news about Spurs goalkeeper Empty Sad news about Spurs goalkeeper

Post by sirfredperry Fri 19 Oct 2012, 12:42 pm

Sad to hear that Milija Aleksic, who was in goal for Tottenham when they beat Manchester City in the 1981 FA Cup final, has died, aged only 61.
I saw that match and quite a bit of his career at WHL. He was a solid keeper who was somewhat overshadowed by two greats - Pat Jennings who was the regular keeper before him and Ray Clemence who took over in 1981.
At least he had the satisfaction in being on the winning side in one of the best-ever Wembley finals.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Sad news about Spurs goalkeeper Empty Re: Sad news about Spurs goalkeeper

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:27 pm

Very sad news

I remember him once being either booked or sent off for handling the ball outside the area when he dived Tom Daley style and punched the ball clear of trouble.

It's not so long ago I was thinking about another 80's Cup Final goalkeeper hero, Peter Hucker of QPR.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:42 pm

At WHL on Saturday they nicely arranged to have two other players from that 81 final - Paul Miller and Tony Galvin (who looked just a tad less lean thsan in his playing days) - talking about Aleksic with some clips from his matches.
Alas, soccer players are not noted for their longevity. Few seem to make old bones.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:50 pm

Which seems odd considered you'd have thought they'd last a long time as fit and healthy sportsmen.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down