The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perception

4 posters

Go down

Perception  Empty Perception

Post by hampo17 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 6:34 pm

I sat down to watch this at honestly did not know what to expect. I had refused to read any reviews even though the trailer had me intrigued. If you are getting bored of the shows that have two people who solve puzzles where the storyline doesn’t really make sense then I doubt you will like this show.

People often say that crime and comedy don’t mix, but I wonder how many of those same people laughed at BBCs Sherlock. I am actually one of those people that believe crime and comedy can be mixed, but have to be so in a subtle and delicate way. This show does that superbly. The basic premise of this show is that a professor that is clearly suffering with schizophrenia, and has a love of everything that puzzles him works as an advisor for the FBI.

The highlight of the show is beyond all doubt Eric McCormack’s portrayal of the vulnerable doctor, Dr Daniel Pierce. His career seemed to stall since the days of Will and Grace but it is great to see him back on our screens and in a role he can show of the extent to which his talent can stretch. Rachael Leigh Cook is OK and nothing more in her role as seasoned FBI Agent Kate Moretti, however there are some moments where the on screen chemistry between her and McCormack carry her through.

The show hangs on plot twists that it hopes the viewer will not see coming, yet the show is covered in moments of “I knew that would happen”. Watching episode three last night, you knew that as soon as they settled on one suspect to arrest it would be wrong and McCormack would save the day, and yet this doesn’t matter. What matters is that it is just a rehash of other shows.

The show combines elements of House, Bones, A Beautiful Mind, and hopes that they will work. If you cast your mind back to House when he was hallucinating his best friends dead girlfriend Amber, you will recall that the show stalled. House had been built on this man have interactions with his own team, belittling every idea they could come up with, yet when Amber came along he became distracted and it felt as if it was a two man show. Perception has a similar storyline with the main character engaging in full conversations with his ex girlfriend thinking through aspects of the case he is currently working on. While it is not spectacular, it is a solid watch that manages to keep you gripped for the 40 minute run time.

https://entertainmentmonthly.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/perception/

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Perception  Empty Re: Perception

Post by boomdangle Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:47 pm

also watching the show, its not a bad idea for once having the hero so to speak with such a flaw as mental illness, quite a refreshing change from a lot of the other cop/crime shows. Have scene episodes 1 & 2 and will more than likely continue with the series.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm

Rachael lee cook - god haven't seen her since she played lanes Boggs in she's all that.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:33 am

Im actually enjoying the series , like boomdangle said i like the idea that the main character has a major flaw like mental illness rather then the usual drink or drugs problems or disfunctional family .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down