The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Glamorgan

5 posters

Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan Empty Surrey vs Glamorgan

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 19 Apr - 21:05

Squad for the away match at Glamorgan is the team that drew with Northants, plus Roy and the Dernbach:

"The Hyphen"
Gary Wilson
Michael Brown
Zander De Bruyn
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Yasir Arafat
Chris Schofield
Gareth Batty
Stuart Meaker
Jade Dernbach
Tim Linley

Who is likely to miss out? I'm assuming it may well be Roy and one of Yasir Arafat, Schofield, or Linley. I think the Viscount did enough to retain his place.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan Empty Re: Surrey vs Glamorgan

Post by guildfordbat Tue 19 Apr - 22:44

Evening Corporal,

Just seen your post on the original 606 site - you are going to have to frogmarch JimBob over here!

By rights, Arafat - who ended up wicketless against Northants - should be on drinks duties with Roy. However, I just can't see Adams leaving Arafat out with the implication that he (Adams) has mucked up again with our choice of overseas player! Therefore, down to Schofield or Viscount to miss out. I fear for Viscount's place thinking it may be significant that he only bowled two overs in Northants' second innings. By contrast, Schofield finished that match well with quick runs and a couple of wickets on the last day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 20 Apr - 18:21

In my opinion it should have been Linley and Roy who missed out, but Schofield got the nod ahead of The Viscount.

I've just got home from work and was delighted to see the score at 283/4 (I work at a zoo so I can't really keep an eye on it too much). We're on course to set a very competitive first innings score but need to kick on and not collapse after the next wicket goes down. De Bruyn has already proved to be an excellent signing and is making up for the lack of Ramps at number 3! Does anyone know how the pitch has been playing, I notice we have scored slowly (Hyphen 2 off 37 balls) which makes me think batting isn't that easy.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Apr - 19:51

Hi Carrot,

Unfortunately, can't answer your query about the pitch. Been down the mines most of today so never had a chance to tune in to Churchy.

Completely agree with you about de Bruyn. He looked very assured when I saw him against Northants.

Disappointing that both our openers got out in the twenties. However, thanks largely to de Bruyn and also Maynard we have finished day one on top. Considering we were 164 -4, it would have been a very difficult story without their efforts. Lets hope they continue the good work in the morning.

These words will probably come back to haunt me but Glammy's batting line up (with Croft due in at six) looks far from daunting. Anyway, sure that Stewie Walters will be keen to show his new county and his old one what he can do ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 20 Apr - 20:33

Evening all.....Good performance today. Unfortunate that Davies got run out (again!). Brown got himself in and didn't capitalise - but having watched highlights on Surrey website I wouldn't be too critical - looked like an unplayable delivery.

Looks as though Surrey were trying to avoid giving away cheap wickets like they did against Northants - so probably fair enough to dig in...

I wonder where Walters will bat in the order for Glamorgan!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 20 Apr - 22:12

Feel sorry for Davies getting run out again! Looks like it wasn't his fault today and he was going well. Nice to see two new signings shore up our middle order, Maynard looks a good signing as well. The weird thing is we are still lacking an opener - if Ramps was to come back in now the person I would want to drop would be Wilson but then it would lead to someone else opening who isn't an opener. Having said that, in the last few seasons Ramps may as well have opened!

Also, Jordan has taken wickets and got good runs in the 2nds, who will he replace when he's ready? Schofield one would presume.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Thu 21 Apr - 9:50

Morning Corporal, Carrotdude unfortunately Surrey's fixtures at the moment keep falling on work days so haven't been posting much. Came home yesterday to see a good day one from the boys even if the run rate wasn't great. Glad Maynard is showing Glamorgan what they are missing.
Still bemused to see Schofield getting in the team??? Surely an extra batsman (Roy,Lancefield) would make more sense.
The viscount was a bit unluncky to miss out.
PS Corporal are you a secret hammers fan???

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Apr - 10:49

looks like surrey dominated day one

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 21 Apr - 13:49

411-5 at lunch, a thoroughly excellent first session and a maiden first class hundred for Maynard against his former club Smile. Need to push on in the next session and get some wickets after tea.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Apr - 16:55

Depressed - I own up - as a DepressedHammersFan! It's a been hard going in the last few years - Surrey scraping along in the basement (thank goodness there is no relegation to Minor Counties) and West Ham constantly flirting with relegation - or this season probably worse than that!

Interesting that Schofield has set about proving you (and me) wrong today with his batting. I fear that if Schofield and Batty have got bucket loads of runs that probably means we'll have trouble bowling them out twice...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Apr - 17:04

Meaker takes the first wicket Smile

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 21 Apr - 18:09

And the 3rd! 91/3 looking good for us atm but I'm not sure we'll be able to bowl them out twice in time.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Apr - 18:36

Carrot - 4 down at the close and they have a nightwatchman left in for us to hopefully pick up early in the morning. Glammy have a long tail so I'm feeling confident we'll be able to enforce the follow on by lunchtime.

Very good and well paced batting by us earlier in the day. Maynard's ton must have been bitter sweet for many of the home supporters who worshipped him. A second successive fifty from Batty with Schofield just missing out on a hundred - cracking stuff!

Meanwhile, Arafat still wicketless. If the Viscount wasn't such a fine team man, he would be loving that ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 21 Apr - 19:04

It's great to see Meaker picking up wickets again, I really think he could turn into a fantastic fast bowler. Gutted for Schofield though, at least he's getting runs even if he doesn't end up getting many wickets! I don't think we really needed Arafat tbh, Linley would do a good job bowling and long term Jordan would be our all rounder. He might prove us wrong though!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Apr - 19:35

Umpire obviously has good eyesight - 4 LBWs in a row!

I'm puzzled that Dernbach has only bowled 4 overs in the innings so far. Has he an injury again, or are they just being cautious?

3rd innings in a row that Meaker has taken 3 wickets (possibly with more to come). It's beginning to look likely he will kick on from last season and become an automatic choice in the CC

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Apr - 19:45

Glam will have a moist batting partnership first thing tomorrow! Waters and Walters That will be a challenge to the commentators. Hope there won't be a deluge of runs.... Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Apr - 20:10

Corporal - what will you say if they ever face the South African and Hants bowler Friedel de Wet? Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Apr - 21:00

Nice one Guildford! Well, if de Wet dismissed both Wa(l)ters on the way to victory, I think that would call for a summary with somewhat of a biblical theme.....

There was a young bowler, de Wet
Aspired to be Moses? You bet
He parted the Wa(l)ters
With a real brace of snorters
Leaving Glam too many runs to get....

Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 21 Apr - 21:23

Corporal - laughing

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Fri 22 Apr - 9:42

FIrstly, I have been saying why do we not drop Schofield for an extra batsman, well fair play to the lad he is playing like a out and out batsman at the moment. (Just don't let him bowl)

Secondly great to see Meaker taking wickets early season and him and Dernbach have just signed new contracts (brilliant)

And Finally I have just seen the weather forecast for Sunday furious we better have a good day today.

Cmon boys let get a win on the board early!

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Fri 22 Apr - 10:19

Just realised it is Friday today and not Saturtday Doh so sundays weather doesn't matter

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 22 Apr - 11:36

Still no sign of Dernbach in the bowling attack....

Walters the walking wicket is still there....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Fri 22 Apr - 11:38

Does anybody know why Dernbach is not bowling - injury or just being saved for a bit?

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 22 Apr - 11:53

Really hope he's not injured, surely the reports would have said if he was? Walters is bound to do well against us here Sad.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 22 Apr - 11:59

Dernbach is out on the field today, so I can't imagine he's injured but why would he only bowl 4 overs?

Edit: Turns out he was off the field yesterday and so has to wait for a specific amount time until he can bowl. Walters still there on 25, we need a wicket soon!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 22 Apr - 13:02

The Wa(l)ters are finally parted. Meaker dismissed Walters, who got 35 - a decent score for a walking wicket.

Dernbach now allowed to bowl - thanks for the update, Carrot....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 22 Apr - 13:17

Can't believe we haven't got Waters out, he averages 8!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 22 Apr - 16:54

Waters getting 48 is an extremely poor effort from our bowlers, It's obviously a good pitch so I'm not as bothered about the others getting runs but our impotence against tailenders is extremely worrying. Meaker aside we have been toothless once again. Linley anyone?

Edit: Who needs The Viscount? Batty and Dernbach with wickets in consecutive overs. Jade has bowled 14 overs for 19 runs which is impressive.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 22 Apr - 18:10

Another 50+ ninth wicket partnership. It's becoming predictable really.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Apr - 19:04

''I'm feeling confident we'll be able to enforce the follow on by lunchtime.''- me, yesterday evening.

🤦

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 22 Apr - 19:08

Ah so it's your fault! At least we never let them have a huge partnership just kept chipping away, still can't get over waters getting fifty.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Apr - 19:17

Yep, pretty much my fault. Doesn't seem that Arafat has helped too much though - his CC overall bowling return for Surrey is currently 0 - 211 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 23 Apr - 11:58

Prevented from venting frustration at lack of progress yesterday through a military IT malfunction Wink

Can't be too hard on Dernbach for taking only 1 wicket - he kept it really tight. Unless Arafat does well in the second innings I can see the Viscount or Jordan replacing him.

At least Meaker got his 5 wickets...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 Apr - 12:30

Corporal - sounds like you and the computer blew up yesterday! Wink

Can't see us winning from here. Glammy's new skipper Petersen will be particularly keen to grind out a draw. Their top order just need to bat now like their lower order did in the first innings.

Ah well, off to a BBQ so not all bad .... 8) 🍺

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 23 Apr - 17:35

Match petered out into a tame draw. :yawn: Bit of a contrast with some of the other matches where three sides in Div 1 came back to win despite conceding a large first innings lead.

Our attack once again lacked penetration on a good batting surface, and only Essex are below us in the table. If Tremlett had been available I think we would have won, but I would not be all that confident that on this kind of batting surface Linley or Jordan in place of Arafat would necessarily have got us closer to victory.

Will Arafat be dropped for the cc match against Middlesex?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 23 Apr - 17:39

Guildford I hope the BBQ was a lot better than the cricket 🍺 8)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 23 Apr - 18:37

Tbh Jordan couldn't do any worse than Arafat (no wickets of runs) so I would like to see him in there. I think we would have won both of our games had Tremlett been available, hopefully Dernbach will improve and Meaker continues to get wickets (was he injured today? He only bowled a handful of second innings overs).

Unfortunately we didn't have the attack to force a win on a good batting surface, especially once Glamorgan only had a draw to play for. I'm at least slightly happy that we have been on top in both the draws, we weren't hanging on or anything. Anyway, onwards to Lord's on Wednesday.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 23 Apr - 19:00

A very good BBQ, thanks Corporal. However, following an abundance of beer and burgers, am now struggling to stay awake. Mrs Bat not overly impressed furious

Probably a predictable end to today's play.

Particularly concerning that Arafat remains wicketless after his two CC games for Surrey and has conceded over 240 runs.

In both these games we have had the opposition in considerable trouble in their first innings only for tailenders to retrieve things. At the AGM held earlier this month Adams emphasised the need to drive home an advantage and that this was a lesson learnt from last season ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down