The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 0's go in one month!

5 posters

Go down

5 0's go in one month! Empty 5 0's go in one month!

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:26 am

This month already has been very eventful for boxing with 5! fighters losing there perfect record.First we had James Kirkland with a shocking first round stoppage loss too Noburhiro Ishida that fight arguably didn't need to be stopped but Kirkland was made to just look like a amateur and theres also question marks over his chin even though he said they were just three "flash knockdowns".Then we had a week later David Lemieux losing his unbeaten record to Marco Antonio Rubio and was made too look like a four round fighter.He hit Rubio with hard shots in the early rounds but after Rubio survived them Lemieux tired out went in for the kill knocking Lemieux before later on his corner stopping the fight.On saturday Paul Mccloskey fought Britains Amir Khan only few believed Paul had a chance.The fight only went 6 rounds after the fight was unfairly stopped by a cut it went too the cards and Khan had won every round.Later on that night Juanma Lopez surprisingly lost his WBO Featherweight belt to a man Yuriorkis Gamboa defeated Orlando Salido by 8th round stoppage that leaves a fight with Gamboa very unlikely to ever happen.Another aswell on the same night as heavily hyped american Andre Berto is beaten by Victor Ortiz in a FOTY candidate.Berto has talent but was well outworked and even stupidly bringing Ortiz into a war when he wasn't throwing anything back and was also lucky not to get a point taken off him for the constant holding.Berto probably has the most talent and skills out of all of these so it should be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Thats 5 0's in one month! Theres alot of pressure now a days on keeping the 0.When fighters lose it doesn't automatically make them bad just means they have things to improve on going into future fights for e.g when Amir Khan lost his unbeaten record not many actually believed in him since then he's worked on his flaws and is now a world champion lining up a mega super fight with american Timothy Bradley.What i'm saying is that the above fighters all have things to work on but can still come back and win world titles in the next few years.People shouldn't automatically doubt them.

How do you see these fighters doing in the future? will they do well like Khan did or just go two backwards like Jeff Lacy.Also how many other fighters do you think will lose there undefeated records in the next few months with alot of risky but if they win rewarding fights for the likes of Tim Bradley and James Degale.Fighters should be based more on a talent and skill rather then wether or not they've lost before.

Thanks for reading,Liam thumbsup

Last edited by Liam_Main4 on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

5 0's go in one month! Empty Re: 5 0's go in one month!

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:30 am

Berto also

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:31 am

Ill add that too it knew I had forgot someone.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 20 Apr 2011, 8:20 am

I certainly wish them well in regrouping and bouncing back.

In my opinion, boxing will benefit if promoters cotton on to the idea that an ' 0 ' isn't everything, and that a loss or two on the way up can actually serve as a springboard to greater things.

From Calzaghe, Ottke, a good few others from the modern era and going back to Marciano in the '50s, many a fighter with an ' 0 ' has been panned for one reason or another, and true fight fans would prefer warriors who will take on anybody, even if that should mean shipping the odd loss along the way. Pacquiao's losses haven't done him any harm, for example, and neither, really, have Hopkins.'

A loss can be a learning opportunity and can remove an albatross from a young fighter's shoulders.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:47 am

McCloskey - will probably plump for a remacth that he will never get. With Bradley and Khan holding all the belts and on a collision course its hard to see how he gets a foothold into the world level again without moving to the U.S which wont happen. Probably goes back to Euro level and may recapture his Euro title. If he lucky he may may get a shot at a vacated title in year or two if the winner of Bradley/Khan steps up to WW or vacates. Otherwise Euro level all the way.

Berto - Will prob take on a confidence booster and afterwards may fancy anoter crack at Ortiz. First fight was a belter so there would be demand for it. Dont think hes finished at Welter by any stretch. Dare I say Pacquiao is develeping a habit for facing guys that hve shown vunerability so if he can find a win I would even give him an outside chance of that fight presuming Pacquiaos options remain limited with no Mayweather.

Kirkland - serious work to do now and pretty much back to the drawing board. Not a great deal of options and remains to be seen what kind of level hes on now after his incarceration. Real possibility of becoming a Lacy/Never was.

Lopez - Loss could do him him good in the long run. I had tipped Marquez to beat him previously and felt a rematch there would have been good. Big strengths with big weaknesses. Plenty to work on but there is ability there, hes explosive and good to watch so think its a case of trying to work on his weaknesses and coming back stronger.

Lemieux - havent seen the fight so cant really comment on it. Not sure if its a case of Haye v Thompson which can easily be remedied or something more serious.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm

manos de piedra wrote:McCloskey - will probably plump for a remacth that he will never get. With Bradley and Khan holding all the belts and on a collision course its hard to see how he gets a foothold into the world level again without moving to the U.S which wont happen. Probably goes back to Euro level and may recapture his Euro title. If he lucky he may may get a shot at a vacated title in year or two if the winner of Bradley/Khan steps up to WW or vacates. Otherwise Euro level all the way.

Berto - Will prob take on a confidence booster and afterwards may fancy anoter crack at Ortiz. First fight was a belter so there would be demand for it. Dont think hes finished at Welter by any stretch. Dare I say Pacquiao is develeping a habit for facing guys that hve shown vunerability so if he can find a win I would even give him an outside chance of that fight presuming Pacquiaos options remain limited with no Mayweather.

Kirkland - serious work to do now and pretty much back to the drawing board. Not a great deal of options and remains to be seen what kind of level hes on now after his incarceration. Real possibility of becoming a Lacy/Never was.

Lopez - Loss could do him him good in the long run. I had tipped Marquez to beat him previously and felt a rematch there would have been good. Big strengths with big weaknesses. Plenty to work on but there is ability there, hes explosive and good to watch so think its a case of trying to work on his weaknesses and coming back stronger.

Lemieux - havent seen the fight so cant really comment on it. Not sure if its a case of Haye v Thompson which can easily be remedied or something more serious.

Mccloskey could always have a crack a trying to get a fight with Zab Juah although theres been rumours circling round that Zab may fight Juan ma Marquez or at least thats who he wants to fight.

Bert-yeah he has a tune up then fights Ortiz again.In truth I would rather see Ortiz vs Pacquiao in what would be a very entertaining fight and I would give Ortiz a fair chance of winning if he goes toe to toe with him.

Lopez-Its just a shame now that we're not going to see the fight with Gamboa now but I think if Lopez re groups sorts on his defence more try and work on his flaws he can still be a champion again.

Lemieux-I seen the fight and the problem he has is that he tryed to knockout Rubio in 4 rounds he did hurt him but Lemieux threw alot of wild swings thats weren't even close to connecting.After the 4th he got tired and Rubios gameplan worked Lemieux has alot of power but doesn't need to throw as many power shots thats how he got tired.He needs to control his stamina and not go straight for the knockout.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:39 pm

I dont really see what a fight with McCloskey has to offer someone like Judah. Most people on world level will view McCloskey as beatable but an awkward customer who is designed to make you look bad. Hes not a name so Judah doesnt stand to win much by facing him. Think the only way McCloskey gets a title shot again is by working his way up the rankings and getting mandatory or interim status.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Heavyweight Stu Wed 20 Apr 2011, 2:35 pm

John Murray's 0 must be under threat if he steps up to world level.

I could see Kats beating him and Mitchell (if head is right) is probably 50/50

Heavyweight Stu

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed 20 Apr 2011, 5:40 pm

Out of the group, the Berto vs Ortiz fight was fairly even from the start. He knocked his opponent down twice and put on an effective display. Nothing wrong with losing a competitive fight.

With Kirkland, they may have rushed him back in. A long period out of the ring, followed by fights in quick succession and then a match up against a former world champ. His managers should have taken more time so that he could readjust to the game.

Lopez has coasted it for a while and needed a bit of a wake up call. It was a light stoppage, but his opponent was doing well enough at the time. A rematch may settle the matter, if it happens. At FW it's a bit more of a free for all, with plenty of all action fights, boxers generally lose more often. Casamayor, Marquez and a few others lost to opponents who were not brilliant.

Similarly to Berto, Lemieux was in with a decent opponent. He was winning the fight at the time and hadn't done alot wrong in the fight. There were not huge complaints about the stoppage, but Lemieux's coach believed he was taking to many shots. He wasn't spreadeagled or anything, more of a safety stoppage. Perhaps, the coach was a bit over protective.

The tide was always against Mccloskey. He frustrated his opponent at times, who didn't look that great either. But, still Mccloskey did little to warrant a victory, his defence was ok, but he couldn't land. There could be another title opportunity further down the line. A title shot in itself is no bad thing.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down