The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Black Selectors Throw Lifeline to NH minnows

+3
Taylorman
emack2
anotherworldofpain
7 posters

Go down

All Black Selectors Throw Lifeline to NH minnows Empty All Black Selectors Throw Lifeline to NH minnows

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

The All Blacks AIs are to be used as a testing ground for potential new All Blacks to prove their international quality, and for a host of clingers on to show they still have what it takes.

Scotland look most likely to be first up beneficiaries as Hansen rolls out the first All Black team not selected on merit, experience and balance.

Ali Williams, who looked to be struggling to go on during the world cup will get another recall. Piri Weepu who's overly relaxed attitude to attending rucks and sloppy passing probably snuffed out NZ's winning streak will also tour.

MId field injuries and a lack of depth caused by Ma'a Nonu's loss of form, Richard Kahui's perennial injuries, Tamati Ellison's shoulder and SBW's departure will mandate hit outs for new contenders. Might we see Ryan Crotty? or will Robbie Fruean get an unlikely call up? Ben Smith be lured into the mid field on permanent basis?

And behind the scrum will Tawera Kerr-Barlow get some time in light of the chinks seen in Aaron Smith's maturity and composure recently?

Up front the ageing duo of Andrew Hore and Kevin Mealamu will be rotate around Hika Elliot and maybe Dane Coles will get the chance to confuse part time rugby writers in the NH by squaring up against Dan Cole in the front row?

NZ suddenly look weak in the loose with Adam Thompson making noises about chasing the money and neither Messam or Vito providing consistent grunt or offering the kind of mongrel Kiwi fans have become accustomed to. Is it to early to tell the world about Ardie Savea?

At least one wing is likely to be rotated as NZ search for a stock left winger. Savea? Gear? Guildford? or one of the host of other dangerous but flawed options on offer?

There we have it. Chinks in the front row, second row, back row, half back and mid field and out wide as potential targets for the NH opponents.

The schedule with Scotland and Italy up first works against the development agenda and conflicting notion of getting the tour off on the right foot.

I suspect at least one of these two opening games might feature some squeaky moments and possibly a famous upset.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

All Black Selectors Throw Lifeline to NH minnows Empty Re: All Black Selectors Throw Lifeline to NH minnows

Post by emack2 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:17 am

Awop another mischievous WUM,I have already posted my thoughts on the subject.Aron Smith is in his first year and inexperirenced under pressure what do you expect?Weepu has already been told he`s in last chance saloon Andy Ellis may even get the nod he deserves it.Wings no chance with several utilires in the squad.Creaking front row?with Crockett,Woodcockand the brothers Grimm a 4 prop game squad only Faumina is the weak link and bench fodder.Hookers a done deal either Coles or Elliott ,3rd 9 Kerr-Barlow,Thomson has`nt asked for early release he`ll tour.Ali Williams experience but mainly bench cover.There are some ITM bolters but none are likely to tour.
After OZ thee AB`s will want to prove a point Scotland may well suffer a Blacklash.

emack2

Back to top Go down

All Black Selectors Throw Lifeline to NH minnows Empty Re: All Black Selectors Throw Lifeline to NH minnows

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:32 am

WUM? WTF Alan? Just my thoughts! i didn't see your thread, but now I have read it we make the same points and seem to agree on the touring squad, but we just have a different opinion on the outcome.

My view is we will see most rotation in the first up match with the Scottish match being a target for the forwards and the Italy match being a target for back line rotation.

Either way we are unlikely to see a polished and efficient combinator and I think the talk about "blacklash" is unlikely. This is more likely to be against Wales or England.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

ellis would be a backward move. Why pick him now if he hasnt all year.
Even though they havnt lost yet the ABs have shown they can drop off in form and intensity in an alarming manner.

Between the lines theres an inherent lack of consistency where if not for the brilliance of Dagg, Read, Savea, SBW and Carter in key moments this year some results might have been reversed.

hit or miss seems to have returned to the ABs and I can see a return to some not easily explained one off losses.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 28 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

And the minnows will no doubt be very grateful. They can only play what's put in front of them by the mighty AIGs.

Generally, though, that's been more than enough. Just ask the other minnows - SA and Australia. Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 28 Oct 2012, 6:22 pm

Taylorman wrote:ellis would be a backward move. Why pick him now if he hasnt all year.
Even though they havnt lost yet the ABs have shown they can drop off in form and intensity in an alarming manner.

Between the lines theres an inherent lack of consistency where if not for the brilliance of Dagg, Read, Savea, SBW and Carter in key moments this year some results might have been reversed.

hit or miss seems to have returned to the ABs and I can see a return to some not easily explained one off losses.

You are right Taylorman. The 18-all disaster was eerily reminiscent of the early close calls and the narrow win over Ireland. NZ seem to lack a plan when the opposition is flooding the breakdown. They don't respond with numbers, get starved of the ball and spend the game defending. They lose patience with the little ball they get and try to score from every phase. They lack patience. I thought particularly Aaron Smith, for all he has added lacks some composure when the game gets tight.

On Alan's warning: I'm pretty sure I read a post of his that said it would be a draw, with DC hooking a late DG in extra time, largely due to a dodgy pass for Weepu who would've been brought on when A. Smith lost his composure and started kicking the ball away ineffectively, after panicking about the lack of possession. So he was actually spot on.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 28 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

Thanks for introducing the squad a bit. As always we are looking forward to the ABs tour.

Rare to see their fans getting their excuses in early

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 28 Oct 2012, 6:43 pm

It pays to be realistic Maes! Let's be honest, with the combinator of injuries and rotation, the top three sides are good, but no Leinster!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 28 Oct 2012, 7:22 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:It pays to be realistic Maes! Let's be honest, with the combinator of injuries and rotation, the top three sides are good, but no Leinster!

Even the mighty Leinster lie 4th in the league.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 28 Oct 2012, 7:25 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:

On Alan's warning: I'm pretty sure I read a post of his that said it would be a draw, with DC hooking a late DG in extra time, largely due to a dodgy pass for Weepu who would've been brought on when A. Smith lost his composure and started kicking the ball away ineffectively, after panicking about the lack of possession. So he was actually spot on.

Thats right...I forgot that one...except it was either that...or win by 30...

Agree with the breakdown. For the AI's its really a matter of whether the home sides will attempt it if they're not used to it.

Hansen has got to become adept at combatting it and applying better patience when things go awry. Smith is more of a sunny day player and is learning the tricks of the trade, picked primarily for his dispatch, which is why I think Perenara will challenge next year. Kerr Barlow should go.

Still reeling from our local heartland Rugby match here where East Coast won the final after being 27-3 down with 20 mins to go. Unreal scenes with the locals flooding the ground with a minute still to play- horses and all on the field in true East coaster style.

ABs named at 10.30 am this morning our time.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 28 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

Gents,

will Carter and McCaw play at Murrayfield ?
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 28 Oct 2012, 7:41 pm

Re the title of this thread, surely much more a lifeline to fringe all blacks.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:34 pm

Isn't McCaw already on a sabbatical and Carter had a knock in his last game?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down