The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South African domestic season: Sunfoil 4 day competition.

4 posters

Go down

South African domestic season: Sunfoil 4 day competition. Empty South African domestic season: Sunfoil 4 day competition.

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm

Hi guys, I see Kiwi Pete has done a New Zealand domestic season topic, and I though it was a great idea for us all to learn about each country's domestic players.

The Sunfoil series over recent seasons was known as the Supersport series and has now changed sponsors.

The series is more or less halfway and will commence again in December. Below is the low down on where the series stands at the moment with all the important averages etc.

Fixtures.

Spoiler:

Leading Batsmen.

Spoiler:

Leading Bowlers.

Spoiler:

Leading Wicket Keepers and Fielders.

Spoiler:

Series Log standings.

Spoiler:

If you have any info you would like to have, I'll do my best to get it.

Last edited by Biltong on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 7:33 am; edited 5 times in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

South African domestic season: Sunfoil 4 day competition. Empty Re: South African domestic season: Sunfoil 4 day competition.

Post by msp83 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:39 am

Thanks biltong for starting this up.
I did go through a few scorecards when we had the debate on SA wicketkeepers. Players like Quinton de Kock have a good future for SA. Would be very interested in this debate also taking off.

msp83

Back to top Go down

South African domestic season: Sunfoil 4 day competition. Empty Re: South African domestic season: Sunfoil 4 day competition.

Post by Biltong Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:15 pm

Our limited overs series kicked off tonight.

Lions vs Titans.

lions got 329 in their 50 overs.

steven Cook son of Jimmy Cook got 125 off 121 balls
gulam Bodi 78 off 87 balls
symes got 47 of 28 balls.

The Titans are in deep, deep trouble at 31/8

Viljoen has taken 5 wickets.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:16 pm

As I typed that the ninth wicket goes down.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:32 pm

Who has kept wickets for the Lions? Quinton de Kock?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:35 pm

Yes, he did.

It is all over, the Titans bowled out for 60

They lose by 269 runs , the biggest beating in the histiry of the tournament, the previous was 214 runs
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:43 pm

So who would rate his keeping today?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:50 pm

I reckon his keeping is good, look I think he is promising, he does need to mature a bit more, I hope CSA gives him another season at first class before they promote him to the international team, his batting is sound, he average 63 in first class four day matches, he has also been very consistent in the two seasons he has played, if he can continue that form for another season then there would be no reason to hold him back.

He will certainly be the best batsman keeper we have had ever.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 02 Nov 2012, 11:53 pm

Biltong - thanks for starting the thread. The teams taking part - have they a long history and pedigree - and rebranded with T20 type names or are they recent creations?

Interested to see that Rudolph has recovered from his poor form with Surrey (early in the season just finished) Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 03 Nov 2012, 12:39 am

Corporal the Six Francihises were created in 2004, prior to that we had 11 provincial teams
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 03 Nov 2012, 7:22 am

That is very encouraging news for South Africa, the emergence of Quinton de Kock.
Looks like they are planning to manage with AB taking the gloves in Australia, I am not very happy with that, not that AB is a very poor keeper, far from that, but I doubt whether his body is up to all the demands that comes with the double responsibility.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 03 Nov 2012, 7:29 am

Well we have seen AB's batting suffers because of it.

But the reality is AB is not the only batsman to have kept wicket.

Whether it is a Mark Boucher, Quiton de Kock or Adam Gilchrist every team has one.

For bow I mcu tather prefer AB lose. Bit in hid batting, and still out perform any other wicket keeper batsman we have had (remember We have never really had a modern day keeper average more than low thrities)

Hopefully in a year we will have Quinton taking over from AB and it will strengthen our batting as well.

The reality is soon Kallis will call it a day, you aren't going to find a replacement for him, so we need to make up bits and pieces in other players, a few runs here, a bits and pieces bowler there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 03 Nov 2012, 7:45 am

Think AB's batting issues were more the result of he all of a sudden taking up the keeping duties rather than keeping permanently damaging his batting. I am sure he'll rediscover his touch and consistency pretty soon, he's too good a player not to find his class. But the concern I have is a bit different, its more to do with his injury record, he has had a history of back problems, and keeping wouldn't help in that regard. AB has gone on record saying he'd lose a year or 2 at the end of his career if he taking up the additional responsibility at this stage would help his team's cause. That is appreciable commitment from the man, but I doubt whether that would be good South Africa.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 03 Nov 2012, 8:20 am

Understood, but hopefully it is only a temporary situation.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Nov 2012, 6:29 am

The limited overs competition has progressed a bit since last week.

The Lions last night played Against the Warriors in Port elizabeth and on a difficult pitch and in strong wind blasted the Warriors out for 110.

Pangiso continues to impress in limited overs cricket taking 3/16 in his 9 overs.
For the Lions Quinton de Kock made the top score for his side with 34 off 40 balls, bowled by Parnell in his first over.

The Lions earned their second bonus point win in succession.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 6:43 am

Good to hear de Kock continues to do well. Phangiso seems a typical limited overs type bowler, not much in the spin department, but mostly hits a line and length that is restrictive. Biltong do you see him as an international material?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Nov 2012, 7:37 am

msp, I don't know, we had another spinner that played for Freestate Thandi Tshabalala, he started playing for them in 2003, similar type of bowler, and he also had a promising start, had a few OdI's for SA, but he soon got worked out.

His career stats aren't great, his first class stats is averaging 38 per wicket.

Phangiso has been around since 2004, his career stats are similar to Tshabalala's, and he is already 28, turning 29 soon, so I think he is just currently in a rich vein of form.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 10:59 am

Remember Tshabalala. Didn't look remarkable, strictly OK. Agree with what you said on Phangiso, seems to be going through a good patch, seems short of international class and age isn't on his side either by much.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Nov 2012, 4:25 pm

Phangiso is in awesome form, however Robin Peterson is doing well for SA atm, and they have Botha, Tahir, and VDM in reserve.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:16 pm

CF wrote:Phangiso is in awesome form, however Robin Peterson is doing well for SA atm, and they have Botha, Tahir, and VDM in reserve.

Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Mar 2013, 5:15 pm

what......

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down