The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFC East Mid Season Report

3 posters

Go down

AFC East Mid Season Report Empty AFC East Mid Season Report

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:24 pm

We are halfway through the NFL season, and the AFC East has certainly been an interesting division so far. Here are the standing at the halfway point in this division.

AFC East standings
1. New England Patriots 5-3 (2-0)
2. Miami Dolphins 4-3 (1-1)
3. Buffalo Bills 3-4 (0-2)
4. New York Jets 3-5 (2-2)

New England Patriots (5-3)

Team Stats
Overall passing yards - 5th overall
Overall rushing yards - 5th overall
Pass defence - 28th overall
Rush defence - 8th overall
Turnover differential - +13

Player Stats
Offence
Leading passer - Tom Brady - 2,408 yards - 16 TD's - 3 INT's - 65.3% completion percentage - 100.6 QB rating.
Leading rusher - Stevan Ridley - 716 yards - 4.8 yards per carry - 5 TD's - 89.5 yards per game.
Leading receiver - Wes Welker - 736 yards - 60 receptions - 2 TD's - 12.3 yards per catch - 92 yards per game.

Defence
Leading tackler - Jerod Mayo - 51 solo - 28 assists - 79 overall tackles.
Most sacks - Chandler Jones - 6.0 sacks.
Most interceptions - Tavon Wilson - 3 INT's.
Most forced fumbles - Rob Ninkovich - 4 FF's.

The New England Patriots have had a indifferent season by there standards so far this year. They have been struggling to close out games in the fashion they have done in previous seasons. This was exemplified by the losses to Baltimore and Seattle, both games they lead comfortably in. The loss to Arizona was also another uncharacteristic one. However they have won all of there divisional matchups, and sit atop the AFC East once again. Tom Brady is once again putting up unbelievable numbers, with nearly 2,500 yards passing already. However it has been the emergence of the running game which has added another dimension to the offence, with Stevan Ridley and undrafted rookie Branden Bolden leading the way. Wes Welker is doing what Wes Welker does, catching a lot of balls. Also tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez appear to be showing no signs of slowing up with 9 TD receptions between them already this season. But if the Patriots want to make a long run in the playoffs they will have to improve there secondary play, which has been quite frankly abysmal so far this season. The front seven of the defence have been playing well, with Chandler Jones making an impact in his rookie season. The Patriots should make the playoffs but is this there year? I think not.

Miami Dolphins (4-3)

Team Stats
Overall passing yards - 23rd overall
Overall rushing yards - 11th overall
Pass defence - 27th overall
Rush defence - 3rd overall
Turnover differential - -2

Player Stats
Offence
Leading passer - Ryan Tannehill - 1472 yards - 4 TD's - 6 INT's - 59.1% Completion percentage - 75.8 QB rating.
Leading rusher - Reggie Bush - 493 yards - 4.4 yards per carry - 3 TD's - 70.4 yards per game.
Leading receiver - Bryan Hartline - 555 yards - 33 receptions - 1 TD - 16.8 yards per catch - 79.3 yards per game.

Defence
Leading tackler - Karlos Dansby - 42 solo - 12 assists - 54 overall tackles.
Most sacks - Cameron Wake - 7.5 sacks.
Most interceptions - Sean Smtih/Chris Clemons - 2 INT's.
Most forced fumbles - Koa Misi - 3 FF's.

The Miami Dolphins have been somewhat of a surprise package so far this season. Many expected Miami to fail this year and I am sure some predicted they would only get four wins all season! Yet at the halfway stage they are over .500 and are second in the AFC East. Ryan Tannehill has been somewhat of a revelation this year for the Dolphins and although his stats may not show it, he has actually had a very promising start to his career as an NFL quarterback. Reggie Bush has missed some games through injury but the Dolphins ground game has been good with and without him, with Daniel Thomas and Lamar Millar contributing nicely. Another revelation this year has been wide receiver Bryan Hartline, however a mention also has to go to Davone Bess who has been more consistent week in week out for the Dolphins. The defence for the Dolphins is where they are best, and Cameron Wake is having a great year leading the team in sacks. They may not be that great against the pass, but you can't run on this Dolphins D, and if you control the trenches in this game you always have a chance. Will they make the playoffs? I would never say never, but I can't see them getting there through winning the division. However it has been a very promising start to the Joe Philbin era in Miami

Buffalo Bills (3-4)

Team Stats
Overall passing yards - 29th overall
Overall rushing yards - 4th overall
Pass defence - 22nd overall
Rush defence - 32nd overall
Turnover differential - -6

Player Stats
Offence
Leading passer - Ryan Fitzpatrick - 1435 yards - 15 TD's - 9 INT's - 61.0% completion percentage - 86.1 QB rating.
Leading rusher - CJ Spiller - 523 yards - 7.3 yards per carry - 4 TD's - 74.7 yards per game.
Leadng receiver - Stevie Johnson - 387 yards - 32 receptions - 4 TD's - 12.1 yards per catch - 55.3 yards per game.

Defence
Leading tackler - Nick Barnett - 38 solo - 19 assists - 57 overall tackles.
Most sacks - Kyle Williams - 4.5 sacks.
Most interceptions - Jairus Byrd - 3 INT's.
Most forced fumbles - Jairus Byrd - 3 FF's.

The Buffalo Bills went out and spent a lot of money in free agency, making Mario Williams in particular a very rich man. However they are still below .500 at the midpoint of the season. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick whilst having some decent stats, is still a very average quarterback who isn't anywhere near the level of what Buffalo are paying him. But in running backs CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson Buffalo does have the most dynamic running back partnership in the league in my opinion. Spiller in particular is having a great year, and if Fitzpatrick can become a game manager ala Alex Smith, these two could carry them to a lot more wins. But the place where Buffalo has been most disappointing this year has been the defence. In fact I would say they have flopped. During the off season Buffalo made some big splashes with the signings of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson, yet there defence is the worst against the run in the league and a poor pass defence also. The talent is there on the defence, players such as George Wilson and Nick Barnett are quality players, but they have been awful and Buffalo needs to take a look at themselves and the defensive coordinator as they should be playing at a much higher level. Will they make the playoffs? There is a very slight chance, but only a wildcard would get them in. They would also need the defence to step up big time as well as Ryan Fitzpatrick.

New York Jets (3-5)

Team Stats
Overall passing yards - 26th overall
Overall rushing yards - 16th overall
Pass defence - 6th overall
Rush defence - 29th overall
Turnover differential - -1

Player Stats
Offence
Leading passer - Mark Sanchez - 1736 yards - 10 TD's - 8 INT's - 52.9% completion percentage - 72.9 QB rating.
Leading rusher - Shonn Greene - 509 yards - 3.7 yards per carry - 5 TD's - 63.6 yards per game.
Leading receiver - Jeremy Kerley - 478 yards - 30 receptions - 2 TD's - 15.9 yards per catch - 59.8 yards per game.

Defence
Leading tackler - David Harris - 42 solo - 23 assists - 65 overall tackles.
Most sacks - Calvin Pace, Quinton Couples, Garrett McIntyre, Bryan Thomas - 2.0 sacks each.
Most interceptions - Antonio Cromartie - 3 INT's
Most forced fumbles - Josh Bush - 2 FF's

Oh the New York Jets. Tebowmania hit New York in the offseason as Tim Tebow took his talents to the Big Apple, but this appears to be nothing more than a PR exercise from the Jets as Tebow has hardly been used at all this year. In fact his biggest impact seems to be on Mark Sanchez who is playing decidedly average this year and seems to be suffering from the pressure of Tebow. However I believe a lot of the blame lies with GM Mike Tannenbaum who has completely failed to bring in any sort of weapons of offence for Sanchez to work with apart from Santonio Holmes. I must be fair and say that injuries have killed the Jets this season with Holmes out for the year as well as undoubtedly the best cornerback in the game and arguably the best player in the game Darrelle Revis out for the season as well. The defence has done ok with the loss of Revis, and Antonio Cromartie has stepped up big time with his cornerback play. However the Jets are suffering from a real lack of a pass rush, and they have been picked apart on defence because of this a lot of times. Running back Shonn Greene is having a decent season, with a breakout game against the Colts, but other than that there isn't a lot to shout about with the Jets until Tim Tebow becomes more involved. Will they make the playoffs? Not a chance. The Jets just have to try and pick up wins and come back stronger next year. Will Rex Ryan still be in a job next season? I think he should be. Will Mike Tannenbaum still be in a job next year? Yes. But there is no way on earth he should be. Will Mark Sanchez still be starting quarterback next season? I think Tebowmania is just about to begin in New York...

Division Pick
New England Patriots

The Patriots win this division again this season and they are the only team that make the playoffs from the division, although don't be surprised to see Miami maybe sneak a wildcard in a weak AFC conference this year
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

AFC East Mid Season Report Empty Re: AFC East Mid Season Report

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:33 pm

Nice write up. Agree with the pick but that's no surprise.

There's a possibility one of the others make a wildcard, but I doubt any of them will.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:37 pm

Good job Olly.

If the Dolphins don't get the wildcard it'll be the Colts or a West team. Don't think we'll get three out of the North again.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down