The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ABs or RBs? Which do you prefer?

+9
anotherworldofpain
Biltong
aucklandlaurie
Morgannwg
disneychilly
emack2
Taylorman
majesticimperialman
kiakahaaotearoa
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ABs or RBs? Which do you prefer? - Page 2 Empty ABs or RBs? Which do you prefer?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well it seems like NZ's best squad will march out against Wales and England and some relatively young and new faces will play Scotland and Italy. Among those new faces might well be Coles at hooker, Faumuina and Crockett at prop, the experienced but seemingly past his use date Ali Williams, Cane at openside, Vito at 8 or 6, Kerr-Barlow at halfback, Barrett at flyhalf, Ellison at inside centre Ben Smith at outside centre or wing and Savea (Gear's experience may win out over the younger Savea). It'll be interesting to see which faces are included this weekend and with what experience they are blended.

Rotation has been a dirty word for Hansen for much of this year and many of the news faces that appeared in the team were enforced by injury. He rightly acknowledges that Wales and England will provide NZ's sternest tests in this autumn series but will he be reminded of the last time NZ faced Scotland and Italy in similar circumstances with both Scotland and Italy gaining ascendancy in the set piece over a makeshift pack and making life difficult for the outside backs?

How far, therefore, will Hansen move towards playing the entire squad on this trip? How much faith does he place in players like Crockett who and Vito who for different reasons have been exposed at international level? The backs like Smith and Ellison seem to be a safer bet but both of them together seems too much to ask of them. Especially if Barrett gets a run and Kerr-Barlow. Smith might give Dagg a rest but there seems to be a lot of potential for green players still wet behind the years.

So does the prospect of facing up to the Rotations Blacks or the Green Blacks fill Scottish (and Italian if there are any) posters with a bit more hope? Last time they faced a few new AB players but SBW set up half the tries scored and Scottish fans are probably glad to see him tucked away injured at the moment in Japan. But is there a feeling that the ABs may take the first two legs of this tour a little too lightly and might send out teams that can be attacked in the set piece and disrupted in general play? If a truly rotated squad is announced this weekend, do you Scottish lads fancy your chances? Or would you prefer to face a top AB side and do to them what Australia did in the last match at Brisbane and make them look ordinary?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

ABs or RBs? Which do you prefer? - Page 2 Empty Re: ABs or RBs? Which do you prefer?

Post by disneychilly Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:07 pm

I like that though Kia-the fact that even though it was the best ever England side vs an under strength NZ side and only Ben Blair forgetting to sidestep infield cost NZ (pr!ck didn't forget to break the line in that Ranfurly Shield game!) the game it was still seen as a dismal failure-much like that French draw.

I'd play more of the big guns against Scotland. That way they have another week to get over niggles.

Ireland in 05 was pretty crazy. Apparently NZ were 25 zip up at halftime or whatever and some lone Kiwi stands up and turns to the crowd.

"Any questions?" he asks.

Wonder if Rattue is like "bugger you Jones I'm gonna stoop to your level and wind you blokes up just like you do ours" LOL

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

ABs or RBs? Which do you prefer? - Page 2 Empty Re: ABs or RBs? Which do you prefer?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:14 pm

Sadly that'd be giving too much credit to Rattue, something he doesn't deserve.

I think I read that McCaw probably won't play against Italy but will captain the side against Scotland. I think that's a judicious move as the Scottish back row is impressive and they have some great talent there. Italy's strengths are more in their scrummaging ability although their talisman player is obviously Parisse at the back. I'd like to see us introduce a few younguns like Barrett in the last two games. Have Carter on the bench or similarly start Carter and sub him off in the second half. Gear had a great time against Scotland so it'll be interesting to see if they go with him or Savea for that game. Personally I'd like to see them both have two games and Jane could handle four I reckon.

Love the Ireland anecdote. Pretty ballsy to do that. Probably lagered up big time. Sumg prickle was probably banded about around him.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 06 Nov 2012, 5:24 am

Rats is a d*ck. Fact. End of.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 09 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

Well a core of senior players with a big spread of untried or relatively new players. Scotland respected but new combinations tried for the future and the resting of key players. It seems the selectors have got the balance right this year. What worries me more are the selections they have made like Weepu and Williams and the merit of keeping faith with players who don't exhibit form and are old in the tooth.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2