The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonga Squad for Italy Test 10th November

+4
yappysnap
LeinsterFan4life
LondonTiger
MBTGOG
8 posters

Go down

Tonga Squad for Italy Test 10th November Empty Tonga Squad for Italy Test 10th November

Post by MBTGOG Wed 07 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

Tonga: 15 Vungakoto Lilo, 14 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 13 Sukanaivalu Hufanga, 12 Sione Piukala, 11 Viliami Helu, 10 Fangatapu 'Apikotoa, 9 Taniela Moa (capt), 8 Viliami Ma'afu, 7 Sione Vaiomo'unga, 6 Sitiveni Mafi, 5 Tukulua Lokotui, 4 Joe Tu'ineau, 3 Halani 'Aulika, 2 Elvis Taione, 1 Alisona Taumalolo.
Replacements: 16 Ilaisa Ma'asi, 17 Tevita Mailau, 18 Hale T-Pole, 19 Paula Kaho, 20 Samisoni Fisilau, 21 Alipate Fatafehi, 22 Viliame Iongi, 23 Soane Tonga'uiha.

Thoughts?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Tonga Squad for Italy Test 10th November Empty Re: Tonga Squad for Italy Test 10th November

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Nov 2012, 5:45 pm

Nice to see Steve Mafi getting a start. Interesting that Tiny is on the bench - why he has shirt 23 is unclear.

I am afraid most of the others are new to me - was Iongi at Scarlets last year?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Tonga Squad for Italy Test 10th November Empty Re: Tonga Squad for Italy Test 10th November

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 07 Nov 2012, 6:02 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Nice to see Steve Mafi getting a start. Interesting that Tiny is on the bench - why he has shirt 23 is unclear.

You dont reconise taumalolo? Fantastic LH who has a really good try scoring record in super rugby.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Nov 2012, 6:16 pm

I am afraid that with kids to shepherd around etc - something has to give. It is a few years since I last saw a S15 match.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 07 Nov 2012, 6:20 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I am afraid that with kids to shepherd around etc - something has to give. It is a few years since I last saw a S15 match.
TBH I hardly watch it myself, I just know him because he was such a star for the Chiefs.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm

Well looking at their front row options, to have both Tonga'Uiha and Mailau coming off the bench, shows some real strength.

I'm not sure if Kalamafoni is injured or suspended but if neither, it's a very odd decision to leave him out of the side.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

Taumalolo is a brilliant prop, he showed up really well in the wc too. Bit surprised that Tiny is on the no23 shirt, typo maybe? Also surprised his bro isn't in there.

Are the Johnston bro's Samoan then?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm

yappysnap wrote:Taumalolo is a brilliant prop, he showed up really well in the wc too. Bit surprised that Tiny is on the no23 shirt, typo maybe? Also surprised his bro isn't in there.

Are the Johnston bro's Samoan then?
Ye they are but only one got called up.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm

Thats the way the French clubs used to do it when 23-man squads came in. They kept number 1-22 the same and the new, extra prop was number 23.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:52 pm

Yeah, JJ is staying at Quins, Census playing for Samoa and Maurie is playing for Samoa too. Samoa's team looks strong. Tonga don't look bad either
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:48 am

It's a shame one of the bigger nations didn't take up a Test with Tonga (no offence to Italy or Scotland intended) as they showed during the World Cup, they can be more than a match, beating France.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 08 Nov 2012, 10:58 am

LondonTiger wrote:Nice to see Steve Mafi getting a start. Interesting that Tiny is on the bench - why he has shirt 23 is unclear.

Yeah he was with us last season, but disappeared over the close season under some iffy circumastances. Seemed to be a bit like David Lemi, very small, slightly stronger than you would thing, but very quick and agile.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 08 Nov 2012, 11:35 am

I remember many years ago the PI teams were criticised for their lack of ability in the set pieces, scrums....because they all wanted to be backs and wingers etc.

You certainly couldnt say that now...some of those guys can seriously scrummage...and its this shift in mentality that could really see the PI's elevated from enjoyable to watch tier two teams...to serious opposition....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

Only Just got to see this game as I had it recorded on sky+.

I have to say I was extremely impressed with the Tongan attack. They really had Italy rattled throughout the match. Tonga could run Scotland close in their match

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:05 pm

Leinster...i thought the Scotland game could be an upset...but having seen The Falcons manhandle the Tongan "reserve" team on Tuesday night...including a penatly try from a scrum im not so sure this will happen now...unless theres this highlights that Tonga have a huge issue with Quality in Depth.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:10 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Leinster...i thought the Scotland game could be an upset...but having seen The Falcons manhandle the Tongan "reserve" team on Tuesday night...including a penatly try from a scrum im not so sure this will happen now...unless theres this highlights that Tonga have a huge issue with Quality in Depth.....
Thats why the lost this game. Italy won the battle up front. If Tonga got some sort of parity up front they would won this game with some comfort. Maybe Tonga'uia might be able to help the tongan scrum against the scots. He was on the bench against Italy.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:17 pm

The strange thing is...that Tonga'uia was playing on Tuesday and got handed his a$$ by our TH Hall. Bear in Deano has hammered our scrum so its a very powerful one now...but im just not convinced that they can win now...probably give Scotland a decent game...but win...Nope.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:21 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:The strange thing is...that Tonga'uia was playing on Tuesday and got handed his a$$ by our TH Hall. Bear in Deano has hammered our scrum so its a serious prospect now...but im just not convinced that they can win now...probably give Scotland a decent game...but win...Nope.
It will take a great performance from Tonga. Their backplay is really good so you never know.

Its funny the two games Im most looking forward to is Wales v Samoa and Scotland v Tonga

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:37 pm

Yeah i know what you mean...the crazy fearless underdogs against the established hierachy....

I think most of us enjoy watching the P.Islanders play mate...something about their enthusiam and power...etc and we all like an upset...as long as its not against our team Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down