The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Froch v Yusaf Mack: How I think it goes

+7
owen10ozzy
mobilemaster8
bhb001
Sugar Boy Sweetie
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
Seanusarrilius
11 posters

Go down

Carl Froch v Yusaf Mack: How I think it goes Empty Carl Froch v Yusaf Mack: How I think it goes

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:29 pm

Those that know me are aware of my affinity for one Carl 'the Cobra" Froch, and in the build up to the Bute fight I was posting like no one’s business about Frochy (predicted Froch KO for that and was scofffed at, just saying).

Not been so prolific this time as I feel this is a routine defence, but still can't wait.

Here's how I think it will go.

Opening round will be feeling out round. Mack will prob catch Froch once or twice and make him realize he is not in with a complete dud. In round two Froch will catch Mack with something decent (prob to the body) and we'll see Mack start to remember his 4 KOdefeats. As the fight develops Froch starts to wear Mack down. He will use shorter mid-range punches, much like those he utilized versus Bute and Mack will start to slow. As we get into the 4th Mack will be more tired than usual due to being at 168 for first time in some time. Froch will drop him around the fifth and jump on him for kill a round later.

Froch TKO with Mack on the ropes and not answering back in 6.

Mack is slick and not without skill, but:

He does not have power to keep Frcoh at bay
He will NOT like the atmosphere in the Capital FM Arena one little bit
He will start to remember all those KO defeats once Froch starts landing
HE won't feel as strong at 168

How do you think it goes?

War Froch!

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch v Yusaf Mack: How I think it goes Empty Re: Carl Froch v Yusaf Mack: How I think it goes

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:58 pm

I think it will pretty much go the same way, the move down in weight isn't going to help Mack at all.

I'm thinking the KO might come a little bit later, around 8-9 rounds, but I can't see anything other than a KO win for Froch being honest. That is of course providing he hasn't underestimated Mack, which I seriously doubt he has.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch v Yusaf Mack: How I think it goes Empty Re: Carl Froch v Yusaf Mack: How I think it goes

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:10 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:I think it will pretty much go the same way, the move down in weight isn't going to help Mack at all.

I'm thinking the KO might come a little bit later, around 8-9 rounds, but I can't see anything other than a KO win for Froch being honest. That is of course providing he hasn't underestimated Mack, which I seriously doubt he has.

Yeah, it really is just a matter of what round in my eyes. Mack usually goes between 6th and 8th, I am going to say that with wear and tear, the weight loss and the fact he is fighting abraod, he goes in 5 or 6. Also I have bet on rounds 4-6, so here's hoping Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:57 pm

alma wrote:Does a step down in weight ever work?

Not once fighters are late in their careers and used to extra weight, as far as I know, anyway

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 13 Nov 2012, 3:09 pm

It very rarely works out very well, can think of very few examples.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 13 Nov 2012, 8:36 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Those that know me are aware of my affinity for one Carl 'the Cobra" Froch, and in the build up to the Bute fight I was posting like no one’s business about Frochy (predicted Froch KO for that and was scofffed at, just saying).

I wasn't around at the time but don't know why anyone wouldve scoffed at that - I won a nice few quid on a Froch KO, always said Bute was the most overrated & over protected fighter in world boxing, Froch had been competing at a much higher level for years and a lesson off of Ward didn't mean he was past it, the Son of God is a top p4p fighter right now.

Froch will have too much for Mack over 12 rounds, his chin is sturdy, he's more skilled (when he chooses to box) and although I don't think Froch has amazing power at world level he should have enough to force a late TKO, especially on home soil. Froch via TKO, round 9.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 12:55 pm

Apparently Froch is unhappy as Mack described him as a Calzaghe wannabe. Unfair that, as their styles are very different. I reckon Froch will take him out in the second half of the fight. Mind you, I hope it is the Froch who came to fight Bute who turns up and not the one who came to fight Kessler. I just don't think he was at his best that night.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 1:31 pm

bhb001 wrote:Apparently Froch is unhappy as Mack described him as a Calzaghe wannabe. Unfair that, as their styles are very different. I reckon Froch will take him out in the second half of the fight. Mind you, I hope it is the Froch who came to fight Bute who turns up and not the one who came to fight Kessler. I just don't think he was at his best that night.

Comparing him to Calzaghe (A southpaw slapper in effect) is like comparing Pacquiao to Mayweather.

Completely different styles of fighting ability in every aspect.

I was lucky enough to attend my first Froch fight in Nottingham against Bute, and it was absolutely brilliant.

The best atmosphere i have witnessed if im honest.

I hope this is the same (although ill be attending Sky Sports instead).

Im going for a Carl Froch TKO around 6-8.

Originally thought it would be on points, but after recent comments, i think he may be a little bit pumped.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 14 Nov 2012, 1:41 pm

Have to agree with sugar here...not sure who you spoke to about the Bute fight but I was confident of a KO win and predicted as much in the OMPL game. I actually thought and bet he would get him out in the 7th but clearly he didnt fancy a prolonged night that evening.

I don't agree with the over-rated statement mind..that word and hype are so frequently used its sad. Bute is no slouch he just wasn't at the very top level some people predicted he may be at. No disgrace in that and he has still got a few handy names on his record.

A difference in an A level and B level fighter doesn't make the B fighter overrated. In terms of levels this sport shows up the differences in levels like no other.

Anyway back to the topic...agree with the consensus of when not if he gets him out there. I think its dependant really on whether we see the quick start he showed against Bute or the usual slow start. I fancy the former to occur and think Froch will make a very quick night of it taking him out in 4. I actually think he may well KO him clean..send out a statement. So im going to say he puts him down late in the 3rd and then catches him with something huge in next!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 1:44 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Have to agree with sugar here...not sure who you spoke to about the Bute fight but I was confident of a KO win and predicted as much in the OMPL game. I actually thought and bet he would get him out in the 7th but clearly he didnt fancy a prolonged night that evening.

I don't agree with the over-rated statement mind..that word and hype are so frequently used its sad. Bute is no slouch he just wasn't at the very top level some people predicted he may be at. No disgrace in that and he has still got a few handy names on his record.

A difference in an A level and B level fighter doesn't make the B fighter overrated. In terms of levels this sport shows up the differences in levels like no other.

Anyway back to the topic...agree with the consensus of when not if he gets him out there. I think its dependant really on whether we see the quick start he showed against Bute or the usual slow start. I fancy the former to occur and think Froch will make a very quick night of it taking him out in 4. I actually think he may well KO him clean..send out a statement. So im going to say he puts him down late in the 3rd and then catches him with something huge in next!

Summed up brilliantly, Owen.

I would love to see Froch make such a statement on Saturday night.

I just feel that Mack is a little to strong to go so early as the 3/4.

Saying that though, people stated that Andre Ward couldnt punch, yet he battered Chad Dawson, who like Mack, stepped down a weight division.

Could be interesting.

Either way, i see a Froch comprehensive victory.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

As far as Bute was concerned, I definitely had the wool pulled over my eyes. I have never been so glad to be proven wrong (in boxing that is). I agree with Owen that Bute is still a talented boxer, but outclassed that night, which I believe will haunt him for quite a while to come.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 1:55 pm

bhb001 wrote:As far as Bute was concerned, I definitely had the wool pulled over my eyes. I have never been so glad to be proven wrong (in boxing that is). I agree with Owen that Bute is still a talented boxer, but outclassed that night, which I believe will haunt him for quite a while to come.

Tell Tale signs in his last fight against a Russian who had only 12 fights.

Thought it was closer than the judges had it as well.

Bute was cut up and swollen, Froch has destroyed something in him........mainly Confidence.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 14 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

There is no comparison between Froch and Calzaghe. Froch is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks he is anywhere near as good as Calzaghe. He got whipped not too long ago and has already lost to a guy Calzaghe dominated easily. Silly boy!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

Gordy wrote:There is no comparison between Froch and Calzaghe. Froch is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks he is anywhere near as good as Calzaghe. He got whipped not too long ago and has already lost to a guy Calzaghe dominated easily. Silly boy!

Froch has not compared himself to Calzaghe. Mack compared him unfavourably to Calzaghe and Froch rightly doesn't like that. Read it first before commenting, silly boy!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

Gordy wrote:There is no comparison between Froch and Calzaghe. Froch is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks he is anywhere near as good as Calzaghe. He got whipped not too long ago and has already lost to a guy Calzaghe dominated easily. Silly boy!

Carl Froch never stated he was better than Calzaghe.

Mack wound Froch up this week saying that he feels Froch is a "Cazlaghe Wannabe".

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 14 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

Agreed, Bute will never be the same fighter again much in the same manner as Jeff Lacy never recovered from the beating he took off Calzaghe.

Both Bute & Lacy are very comparative wins for the British fighters in so much as when people look back and consider them a fair few will believe that they were both hyped fighters who had no right being in the ring with them.

However if you actually look at it both should be considered very good wins. I don't buy that either Lacy or Bute were hype jobs...far from it. Both of them were/very talented. In the case of Lacy you had a guy who was huge for the weight...he was strong & had some absolute dynamite in his hands. That left hook he had was scary...only need to see some of his KO's to see that. As for Bute, the guy is no slouch...he has proved he can box..he has power in his hands especially with the body shots.

Neither guy will be considered greats but they werent dud's either. They were boxers who were above the perinial just below World title challenger but weren't quite truly world class. Had they not run into Froch and Calzaghe respectively they may well have gone onto to establish themselves especially given boths major asset was confidence.

Prior to each bout Lacy and Bute showed tremendous confidence, they both truly believed they were going to win. Such was the confidence each man showed in lead up to other contests they often had a fighter beaten before they got in the ring. But in Froch and Calzaghe they met 2 guys who went into the ring and immediatly went at it..they didn't stand off or hesistate. They jumped on the guy and just ripped the cofidence out of them straight from the bell. If you go back and watch the Calzaghe fight you can see that he has him beat by the 3rd round...it was in Lacy's eyes. The same applies to Bute.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

Great summary Owen. Both deserve kudos for how they won their respective fights. I'd add Mugabi in with Hagler as another example of a man who had an air of invincibility taken away from him by a superior fighter.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 2:31 pm

Froch said the only way he beats Calzaghe is to chin him, which is pretty much what everyone on this board agrees with. No way Froch can beat him in a boxing match.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 2:35 pm

bhb001 wrote:Great summary Owen. Both deserve kudos for how they won their respective fights. I'd add Mugabi in with Hagler as another example of a man who had an air of invincibility taken away from him by a superior fighter.

Aka Khan vs Garcia maybe?

Although in my eyes Khan had the air of invincibility and was taken away by an "inferior" fighter.

You have to love boxing.

The Calzaghe vs Lacy fight was just brilliance, as was Froch vs Bute.

Not seen Mugabi vs Hagler bhb001, will have to check when im back from work this evening!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:16 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:
bhb001 wrote:Great summary Owen. Both deserve kudos for how they won their respective fights. I'd add Mugabi in with Hagler as another example of a man who had an air of invincibility taken away from him by a superior fighter.

Although in my eyes Khan had the air of invincibility and was taken away by an "inferior" fighter.

You have to love boxing.

Not seen Mugabi vs Hagler bhb001, will have to check when im back from work this evening!

I wouldn't say Khan had an air of invincibility at all mate. He'd been decked by nobodies, ko'd by a journeyman and had lost his previous fight. He was the bookies favourite sure, but there's a difference between that and having an air of invincibility like an undefeated hyped fighter such as Lacy or Bute - if anything khan with his history has an air of vulnerability going into most fights.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 14 Nov 2012, 5:30 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:

You have to love boxing.

Fantastic fight, and Hagler showed just how to break down and rip apart a bully. Mugabi had won every single fight and won them all in emphatic knockout, Mugabi really did give absolutely everything and showed an unbelievable chin.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 6:56 pm

got a funny feeling about this, I think Froch will win but it might be a little like the Darrel fight, Froch struggles with speed and I think this guy might be a bit of a pain, I see Froch taking a closer than he would like UD.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

tunes666 wrote:got a funny feeling about this, I think Froch will win but it might be a little like the Darrel fight, Froch struggles with speed and I think this guy might be a bit of a pain, I see Froch taking a closer than he would like UD.

Might be like froch Dirrell for a couple of rounds, but once Mack tires, he will start to get tagged and then give up around the middle. He is used to being stopped now, and I truly believe that once a fighter gets used to being ko'd it is only a matter of time before it happens again

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm

bhb001 wrote:Apparently Froch is unhappy as Mack described him as a Calzaghe wannabe. Unfair that, as their styles are very different. I reckon Froch will take him out in the second half of the fight. Mind you, I hope it is the Froch who came to fight Bute who turns up and not the one who came to fight Kessler. I just don't think he was at his best that night.

Its just Mack trying to get under his skin. Nothing more. He knows well enough that they are totally different styles.

The Froch who turned up against Bute wouldn't have beaten Kessler. For one, Kessler is a better fighter than Bute and a better fighter than Froch with all due respect to Froch. Whichever Froch turned up would never have beaten Kessler.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm

Mm, Mugabi hagler was a cracking fight that the beast was more than holding his own in, until the 6th I think where he shipped a lot of leather and tried to fight back when legging it would have been smarter. Writing on the wall after that, but a good fight. Certainly Mugabi was never the same again, and the shell that turned up or didn't as it turned out against McClellan a few years later was the definition of shot.

Not sure i agree with Owen re a fighters and b fighters. Not many would suggest that lacy or bute were rubbish, just that they were'nt as good as some we're saying before the fight. I was surprised so many we're writing froch off before the fight, given that bute had never fought a genuine top fighter and had been saved by the bell in one of his previous fights. Froch was brilliant that night and all credit to him, but I for one gave him a good shout beforehand... Given how few did, looks like we're all on this thread!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:18 pm

azania wrote:

Its just Mack trying to get under his skin. Nothing more. He knows well enough that they are totally different styles.

The Froch who turned up against Bute wouldn't have beaten Kessler. For one, Kessler is a better fighter than Bute and a better fighter than Froch with all due respect to Froch. Whichever Froch turned up would never have beaten Kessler.

agree on Mack comments, they're almost not worth commenting on. He is jsut trying to wind Froch up, which is a mistake, because Froch will just knock him out sooner.

Don't agree tat Kess beats all versions of Froch. I think an active aggressive Froch, like the one we saw versus Bute, stops Kessler in a career shortening war.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:31 pm

azania wrote:

Disagree with that. I'd say Kessler & Froch are very evenly matched with not dissimilar styles and attributes. Whilst Kessler is a fine fighter his 'W' column is hardly a who's who of the last decade of SMW's - Froch is his biggest win. Their fight was a very close contest and I'd say if they fought ten times they might win 5 each. You're doing Froch a disservice with that dismissal.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down