The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup Final

+11
bogbrush
ALPanorak
User 774433
lags72
invisiblecoolers
laverfan
lydian
The Special Juan
Haddie-nuff
LuvSports!
rafa fan forever
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Davis Cup Final - Page 2 Empty Davis Cup Final

Post by rafa fan forever Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Since no one created this thread.......thought I would create one

Nadal - Rosol on this quick surface would have been a pre match classic but nevertheless this should be keenly fought contest with the potential to go to a deciding fifth rubber. The classic here would definitely be Berdych - Ferrer.

What do the esteemed tennis enthusiasts of 606 v2 reckon this to be?

rafa fan forever

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup Final - Page 2 Empty Re: Davis Cup Final

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:25 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:picking Almagro on a fast indoor HC was a bizarre move by Spain IMO, though had he beaten Berdych it would have been a masterstroke. Can't help but feel Feliciano Lopez or Verdasco would have been better options?

Verdasco is injurerd

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:10 am

didn't know that, but doesn't change my point. Should have picked Lopez (Feliciano) for the singles in that case. Similar to what France did against Spain on an indoor fast court a few years back by picking Llodra

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am

Wouldn´t argue about Lopez... on a good day he can cause the best a load of problems. I think the responsibility was too much for Nico.. he´s flakey at best.
However wouild agree that had Verdasco been in true form he would have been the best bet .. but something tells me we wont see much of that Verdasco even if he manages a comeback

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 am

How's that HN - do you think his appetite for the game has dminished?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Screw Spain, I'm just glad for Stepanek.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Lydian he has been battling with a dodgy foot for the last 2/3 years he now has a wrist injury I believe. Lets be honest since his amazing year reaching the AO semis against Rafa .. and his coaching at Andre Agassi´s acadamy he really han´t done a great deal. It may be my imagination but he doesn´t seem to "fit" so well within the Armada these days.. Feli was his bosom pal but Feli is now with Rafa Daveeed and co. I think Nando is a temperemental young man and he isn´t as committed as I think he could have been. His slide in the rankings coupled with the injury ????? has he got it left in the tank Im not so sure.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Don't suppose Spain would really begrudge the Czechs their triumph, considering Spain has monopolised the DC in recent years.
Stepanek, by all accounts, is not the nicest guy on the tour, but at 34 this is the crowning moment of his career.
Ferrer did wonderfully well to win his two singles. What a year he's had.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 pm

That's sad about Verdasco and injury. When playing well he is one of my favourite players to watch and has featured in some great matches. Eveyrone of course talks about that amazing AO semi against Rafa but another top match was his win over Ferrer in the 2010 US Open. Great stuff!

I also like watching Almagro. He plays a very aggressive game that looks great when it comes off but because it is high risk it can easily go off the boil. Great serve and beautiful backhand. He played great against Berdych when he was playing without pressure but went to pieces and played a poor match against Stepanek when he was expected to win. Mentally Stepanek played well. Sometimes the better player doesn't win...

Ferrer played an excellent match to beat Berdych. I reckon if they allowed on court coaching and he was allowed to bring Corretja with him to slam matches he could win one. Not to "coach" just to tell him how good he is.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Ferrer could have Corretja on court with a racquet and he still wouldn't win a Slam.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Well he wouldn't. I like David but seriously he's no threat at the Slams.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm

If if in the French Open next year Nadal is still not 100% fit, Federer loses early to someone like Del Pot (as nearly happened this year), and Djokovic is shocked by someone like Tsonga (as nearly happened this year); Ferrer would be favourite IMO.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Rafa could not have played any better than David did yesterday of that I am convinced and coming from a Rafa fan that is praise indeed. How I would love David to prove SO MANY wrong before he retires.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 pm

If Ferrer had been born in Britain with all the backing that goes along with that maybe he would be a multi slam winning all time great...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Its a shame for Daveed that he has walked in Rafa´s shadow for so long.. If he had only blossomed a little earlier in his career who knows if things would have been different. I have always liked him both as a person and a player. I still have my hopes for him. Aside from the top 4 who else is there .. not much that I can see at the moment. So why not you Daveed Davis Cup Final - Page 2 3933776953

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:01 am

Interesting that after a long season, two of the stand-out players in the DC final were 30-somethings, with one of them winning well over 70 matches in the season.
I look forward to Ferrer swelling the over-30 title winners in 2013. This year he's got the whole year as a 30-plus player. Not sure what the record year is for titles won by 30-somethings, although 2012 has been pretty good. May have been when either Rosewall or Connors were going strong.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 am

@SFP...

Connors - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Connors_career_statistics#Singles_Titles_.28109.29

Rosewall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Rosewall_career_statistics#Career_titles

Very glad to see Stepanek and Ferrer have very rewarding years.

Lopez/Lopez would have been a better pair for doubles, IMVHO, rather than WTF champs Granollers/Lopez (who won very close matches @WTF).

Berdy, if he had beaten Ferrer, would have achieved what Sampras did at DC 1995 (against Russia), winning 3 matches in a Tie.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2