The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK

+10
HERSH
SecretFly
offload
Warthog
AlastairW
BigTrevsbigmac
profitius
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
Ospreydragon
14 posters

Go down

NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK Empty NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 18 Nov 2012, 8:23 pm

This is the subject of Hugh Edwards' "The Wales Report" tonight, BBC1 Wales @ 10.25 pm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nvln5

A clip shown earlier suggests that a new agreement between the regions and the WRU is imminent (likely to be announced after Xmas).

Also, on page 18 of today's "The Rugby Paper", there's this hot gossip:

"SKY are set to show live Wales and Ireland autumn internationals and are bidding to show Scotland's home Tests as well."

The piece suggests that the 6N will be the only tournament live free-to-air in the UK. The piece says that SKY will soon announce a long-term deal that is expected to start next season and it will dramatically increase the Unions' tv revenue.

The piece says that the Welsh and Irish Unions will benefit a lot -- and states that Wales can use the extra revenue to prevent more players going to France. It also mentions a recent funding gap of £5.2 mil in the Welsh regions identified by an independent study, which the WRU hope to turn into a 500 K surplus by next year ...

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK Empty Re: NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK

Post by RubyGuby Sun 18 Nov 2012, 9:32 pm

No - We are GS champs and reached the semis in the RWC thanks to Rollaind. We are missing Adam, Lydiate, JD and most of all Gatland who has left a clueless child in charge. The child has picked the likes of Turnbull, McCusker, Andrews, Priestland and tried to single handedly drain the confidence of this welsh team who admittedly have not helped themselves. They remain rudderles without Gatland. When the boys are back in place I think we will win the 6 Nations again with something to spare and continue to move forward. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK Empty Re: NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:53 pm

I just watched the programme. Roger Lewis said there would be an announcement within the next couple of weeks. Sounds like a very important new agreement has been struck between the regions and the WRU.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:04 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=%22Huw%20Edwards%22

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:24 am

Interesting development regarding sky. They're going to lose the Aviva Premiership and probably need more rugby on tv to keep rugby fans happy. I'd say they've one eye on the Rabo league too.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 19 Nov 2012, 7:00 am

'It also mentions a recent funding gap of £5.2 mil in the Welsh regions identified by an independent study, which the WRU hope to turn into a 500 K surplus by next year .'

This predicted figure of a surplus has changed then from the BBC report where the PWC were predicting a loss of £3.2M !

BBC quote -

"Despite rising income from the WRU, the report says the regions' annual funding gap rose from £2m in 2008 to £5.2m in 2011 despite a £5m increase in revenue during that period.
A funding gap reduction to £3.8m for the financial year ending in April 2012 is forecast - in the past those gaps have been met by the regions' benefactors.

But the report warns the regions cannot continue to rely on benefactors, saying: "We understand from regional representatives that the impact of the global financial crisis, together with benefactors becoming disillusioned with a relationship of conflict has removed most or all of this support for the regional businesses."

So PWC predict a £3.8M loss & the WRU hope for a 500k surplus Headscratch

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 19 Nov 2012, 8:49 am

Out of interest, do Wales fans think this is a good thing for Welsh rugby if that is going to be the proposed announcement?

I presume more monies would increase the players wage cap and keep more players at the regions?

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Warthog Mon 19 Nov 2012, 8:52 am

Oh dear...

NEWS: "Is Welsh Rugby in Crisis?" + change to tv coverage in UK 1347041234

Warthog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Nov 2012, 8:57 am

Alastair, I can't talk for other regions but I keep hearing the my region the Dragons can only afford around £2m in wages, so we're no where near the salary cap. More money would make it easier for us to compete with the other regions, or put us on a more even keel. Why we can't generate our own funds is the mystery though...

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 19 Nov 2012, 9:23 am

RubyGuby wrote:No - We are GS champs and reached the semis in the RWC thanks to Rollaind. We are missing Adam, Lydiate, JD and most of all Gatland who has left a clueless child in charge. The child has picked the likes of Turnbull, McCusker, Andrews, Priestland and tried to single handedly drain the confidence of this welsh team who admittedly have not helped themselves. They remain rudderles without Gatland. When the boys are back in place I think we will win the 6 Nations again with something to spare and continue to move forward. thumbsup

I think your optimism is founded on thin air. Like the WRU, too many fans have their heads in the sand.

Yes - serious crisis. No money, poor attendance, talent drain, very weak coaching, awful regional form and a national team lacking intelligence, passion and basic skills. (It's absurd to lay all the blame at Howley - does anyone really believe that Gatland wasn't involved in selection??)

The professional game is in crisis and with it the whole game in Wales.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 9:29 am

Here we go - the usual drama queens are out - a few months ago we're GS champs and RWC semi finalists - Now we are in crisis. Funny thing is, with Adam, JD and Lydiate available and with Gats in charge there would be no crisis. The WRU are organising financial packages and we countinue to evolve in this manner. Like I said I believe we will win at least 4/5 in the 6 Nations and we can take things on from there. Even the bookies make us joint favourites as they tend to look a little closer at what's going on and the reasons why? When Aus had 34 points put on them by Samoa was there a crisis all of a sudden. This is just the usual fickle welsh neurosis from fans who can't cope with defeats. Happy to differ of course and just my opinion. thumbsup Feck! even the O's are Rabo 12 champs - As Ricky would say "Crisis my Arxx" Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 19 Nov 2012, 9:38 am

RubyGuby wrote:Here we go - the usual drama queens are out - a few months ago we're GS champs and RWC semi finalists - Now we are in crisis. Funny thing is, with Adam, JD and Lydiate available and with Gats in charge there would be no crisis. The WRU are organising financial packages and we countinue to evolve in this manner. Like I said I believe we will win at least 4/5 in the 6 Nations and we can take things on from there. Even the bookies make us joint favourites as they tend to look a little closer at what's going on and the reasons why? When Aus had 34 points put on them by Samoa was there a crisis all of a sudden. This is just the usual fickle welsh neurosis from fans who can't cope with defeats. Happy to differ of course and just my opinion. thumbsup Feck! even the O's are Rabo 12 champs - As Ricky would say "Crisis my Arxx" Yahoo

Laugh Well Ruby - I hope you are right, but I'm pretty cetain I am.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Nov 2012, 9:42 am

It would be sad to see all tournaments being exclusive to Sky

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 9:49 am

offload wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Here we go - the usual drama queens are out - a few months ago we're GS champs and RWC semi finalists - Now we are in crisis. Funny thing is, with Adam, JD and Lydiate available and with Gats in charge there would be no crisis. The WRU are organising financial packages and we countinue to evolve in this manner. Like I said I believe we will win at least 4/5 in the 6 Nations and we can take things on from there. Even the bookies make us joint favourites as they tend to look a little closer at what's going on and the reasons why? When Aus had 34 points put on them by Samoa was there a crisis all of a sudden. This is just the usual fickle welsh neurosis from fans who can't cope with defeats. Happy to differ of course and just my opinion. thumbsup Feck! even the O's are Rabo 12 champs - As Ricky would say "Crisis my Arxx" Yahoo

Let's wait and see Offload as it looks as if we're both as stubborn as each other - I don't see the crisis mate - I see very poor selection against Arg which put us under great presssure for the Samoa game - Selection has been poor along with the tactics. The players will perform differently for Gatland as there's is a good fear factor with him in charge. Howley; as nice and passionate as he is cannot cut it much in the same way as MJ didn't for England. I expect us to lose the next 2 games but I am anticipating much better performances. Howley has shown that we need someone else in charge, its a performance related business. 5 trys conceded v 1 interception try says a lot. Yet we have Nigel Davies getting the Glos backs running great lines? Its a time for cool heads thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 19 Nov 2012, 9:54 am

RubyGuby wrote:
offload wrote:

Let's wait and see Offload as it looks as if we're both as stubborn as each other - I don't see the crisis mate - I see very poor selection against Arg which put us under great presssure for the Samoa game - Selection has been poor along with the tactics. The players will perform differently for Gatland as there's is a good fear factor with him in charge. Howley; as nice and passionate as he is cannot cut it much in the same way as MJ didn't for England. I expect us to lose the next 2 games but I am anticipating much better performances. Howley has shown that we need someone else in charge, its a performance related business. 5 trys conceded v 1 interception try says a lot. Yet we have Nigel Davies getting the Glos backs running great lines? Its a time for cool heads thumbsup

Three things we can both agree on
1. We are both stubborn
2. We both admire John Eales
3. Nigel is the best current Welsh coach by a mile

Not a bad start Ale
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 19 Nov 2012, 9:55 am

2/3 mate - I'm much more stubborn than you thumbsup Ale Laugh

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Tue 20 Nov 2012, 12:49 pm

"Wales under Gatland have tended to defy the form, or lack of it, of their regions in the Heineken Cup. The Welsh Rugby Union is hoping to sign a new agreement with the four regions within the next month in an attempt to halt the exodus of players to England and France: in the past the union's policy has focused on the national side but it is now set to become dual purpose to prevent the level immediately below from collapsing."

Source:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/19/wales-new-zealand-autumn-internationals

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 20 Nov 2012, 12:52 pm

All is fine Osprey, just the usual hysterics about after a couple of Howleys howlers - I still fancy us for a possible GS again thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:17 pm

Anything is possible Wink

...but....

if Ireland and France don't improve on their 6 nations performances from last year, then something is awfully wrong with the 6 nations format, and I'll be demanding PRL/BT Vision involvement to sort it all ouwth!!!!!

Instead of carrying on from where they were and improving on it, Wales now have to get back to where they were first... and then see if there are improvements that can make them even more compelling, especially against SH opposition. But I believe Ireland and certainly France will present much more of a challenge in the coming 6 Nations than the last one.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

Sky would be mad to bid for the Rabo, no one watches it now as the viewing figures are poor as are the attendances.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

...well the Rabo will always have you, Hersh. That's one guaranteed bum that they could offer up to the negotiations.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:56 pm

On the plus side it would be the end of Scrum V. Very Happy

I've never understood why the Welsh get special treatment from the BBC.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Tue 20 Nov 2012, 2:31 pm

[quote="HERSH"]On the plus side it would be the end of Scrum V. Very Happy

I've never understood why the Welsh get special treatment from the BBC.[/quote]
It's because we are great Hershy Bar
Because we are great. Yahoo

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 20 Nov 2012, 2:35 pm

HERSH

Mate you really need to get over your obsession with us, is it a jealousy issue, or just plain old xenophobia?

tut tut tut

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Wed 21 Nov 2012, 12:28 am

" Wales are in a dark place: they have been ravaged by injury and have had chunks taken out of them not only by the Samoans but a visceral public and a savage crew of former legends.

The national side have endured five consecutive defeats and the mood in Wales is moribund. The professional clubs are all but broke and the star men are leaving in their droves ..."

Source: NZ Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10848435

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 21 Nov 2012, 1:09 am

Yes. any New Zealander who has been around for more than 5 minutes knows that with Gatland back, knows that whatever has happened over the last two weeks with Wales means absolutely nothing in so far as this weekends game is concerned.

Every single opportunity must be capitalised on and turned into points, or we are going to look very silly next week.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:32 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Yes. any New Zealander who has been around for more than 5 minutes knows that with Gatland back, knows that whatever has happened over the last two weeks with Wales means absolutely nothing in so far as this weekends game is concerned.

Every single opportunity must be capitalised on and turned into points, or we are going to look very silly next week.

+1 respect thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 21 Nov 2012, 12:42 pm

I agree, SecretFly, particularly France, given the way they're playing at the moment. Not sure what to expect from England.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down