The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWF vs WWF

+4
Jammy31
Crimey
Kid Vicious
Aaronb33
8 posters

Go down

WWF vs WWF Empty WWF vs WWF

Post by Aaronb33 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:32 pm

Just watched the Attitude Era DVD and something struck me as a bit odd.

Throughout (or at least in all the bits that aren't the documentary), the company is referred to as WWF and they use the pre-WWE logo where normally it'd be blurred out or changed to the newer one. Just wondering if anyone knows if WWE are allowed to use it again? Did the court case stipulate a period of time after which they could use it again? I'm not too familiar with US law in civil matters, but as I say, seems a bit odd to me.

The DVD's not bad by the way.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

WWF vs WWF Empty Re: WWF vs WWF

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:47 pm

they came to a settlement a couple of months back

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:14 pm

I also think the law has always differed in the UK than it did in the US.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:47 pm

So they use the full logo with the F sticking off the side of the W's? Any reason as to why they still have to blur it out in WWE13? And why they cut the F out on commentary so they only say "Welcome to the WW..."?
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:06 pm

Ok, I'll go into a bit more depth with it.
WWE13 would've been in production long before this summers settlement. I don't have the game, but if there is any issue there it's because the copyright issue still stood.

WWF (nature) wanted compensation for use of the WWF (wrestling) name. Vince didn't want to do that and instead went with the blur option. I think it's something like changes in with how archived WWE material is available has caused the change of heart. WWE and WWF reached a settlement agreement over the summer meaning they don't have to blur out the logo on archived matches anymore.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:24 pm

To be fair to the panda lot, the whole mess was completely Vince McMahon's own doing. He'd promised to minimise usage of the WWF initials on the company's branding (eg merchandise, turnbuckles) and then deliberately ignored the agreement.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:34 pm

I remember when the name change first happened, I sent the WWF (Panda) hate mail I was so angry ha. Oh to be young again.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:39 pm

crippledtart wrote:To be fair to the panda lot, the whole mess was completely Vince McMahon's own doing. He'd promised to minimise usage of the WWF initials on the company's branding (eg merchandise, turnbuckles) and then deliberately ignored the agreement.

exactly! it dated back to 1994. come 2002 enough was enough.
he had plenty of time and chances to sort it out.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:45 pm

It's funny though that while the World Wildlife Fund did have the rights to the WWF, it was the wrestling company that people associated with the acronym and still do. I get that the World Wildlife Fund had the rights to it, and it was wrong for the WWE to ever use it as they did, but you'd have thought that the Wildlife lot would have been better off dropping the acronym which isn't associated with them and just suing Vince for monies.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:56 pm

It was all complicated. I think WWE had argued that the WWF had changed their from WWF to World Wide Fund for Nature in the 80's. The cynic in me says they both got publicity out of the whole thing. As the saying goes, "good bad or otherwise, weigh your news, don't read it."

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:24 pm

I remember reading something about a year or 2 ago that they can show the WWF logo but can't say WWF on tv (something no-one told Bret Hart).

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:42 pm

Vince McMahon is forever saying WWF or World Wrestling Federation (which is allowed anyway) when he does interviews

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum