The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When did steroids become a problem in boxing?

+6
two_tone
ShahenshahG
seanmichaels
The Boss
Mind the windows Tino.
Gordy
10 posters

Go down

When did steroids become a problem in boxing? Empty When did steroids become a problem in boxing?

Post by Gordy Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:03 pm

Alot of people seem to think drugs are a big problem in boxing but this has only cme to attention recently. People blame inadequate testing methods and boxers who will do anything to cheat for an advantage. But when do these people think steroids began to be a problem in boxing? Nobody accused great fighters like Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Hagler or Sugar Ray Leonard of using steroids so is this only a recent problem?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

When did steroids become a problem in boxing? Empty Re: When did steroids become a problem in boxing?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

Anabolic steroids were first isolated, identified, and synthesized in the 1930's so I reckon it started then.

There is no way Tony Galento could be 235lbs at 5 foot 9 inches without juicing. He floored Joe Louis as well. Cheat.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

When did steroids become a problem in boxing? Empty Re: When did steroids become a problem in boxing?

Post by The Boss Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:16 pm

Around about the time Sky was established.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:17 pm

The Boss wrote:Around about the time Sky was established.

Are you suggesting steroids are a sky hype job?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:18 pm

I believe so, sean. At least that's what my sources say.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

I think Lennox Lewis took steriods. There I said it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:23 pm

Disclaimer - we are mocking Gordy so please don't sue tino - we don't want his wife back on the market.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Disclaimer - we are mocking Gordy so please don't sue tino - we don't want his wife back on the market.

Yeah, I meant to say that I have no evidence for that. I just think he did.

I certainly wouldn't pay for her, shah.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

Must have been after the 2 KO's.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:20 pm

Is it such a massive problem though? Surely some of the elite must be thinking of their reputations. It might not be a big punishment but that can taint a whole career.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:45 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Is it such a massive problem though? Surely some of the elite must be thinking of their reputations. It might not be a big punishment but that can taint a whole career.

You would like to think that, trouble is if you think the opposition is gaining an unfair advantage some will be tempted to level the playing field and do the same. There are so many different aspects as to how/why athletes would take performance enhancements that I think we could fill an entire thread on it. Will be gutted if Mayweather is found cheating as he has been the one banging the drum for all this testing, perhaps it is his way to deflect any suspicion off himself.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:19 pm

Gordy wrote:Alot of people seem to think drugs are a big problem in boxing but this has only cme to attention recently. People blame inadequate testing methods and boxers who will do anything to cheat for an advantage. But when do these people think steroids began to be a problem in boxing? Nobody accused great fighters like Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Hagler or Sugar Ray Leonard of using steroids so is this only a recent problem?

They became a problem when boxers took them. We can't say for sure who took them and when, we can only go by recent allegations.

Silly thread.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:20 pm

Hearns accused Leonard of taking them before their second fight!!

Overlooked that one Gordy.... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm

When they appeared in the public domain. Ignorance is bliss and all
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 8:08 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Anabolic steroids were first isolated, identified, and synthesized in the 1930's so I reckon it started then.

There is no way Tony Galento could be 235lbs at 5 foot 9 inches without juicing. He floored Joe Louis as well. Cheat.

Only recently seen footage of 'TWO TON' on a espn classic mini documentarie on Joe Louis. The guy was a beast with decent skill and very good power.

Looking at his physique it looks like a product of Italian American cooking. Pasta (carbs that never got burned off) and meatballs (high protein and high fat).

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down