The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby?

+8
Duty281
doctor_grey
yappysnap
RogerLewis
BristolDave
Hood83
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
anotherworldofpain
12 posters

Go down

Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby? Empty Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby?

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:01 am

This time of year in Britain, with it's perpetual drizzle, overcast skies and unrelenting damp grey dank used to be Valhalla for English rugby.

Flabby immobile lumps would wade, knee deep in mud, back and forth whilst a half back and fly half would metronomically kick for the corners, or the goal posts.

The revolution in English rugby brought about by Stuart Lancaster has led to not only a more adverturous style of play, with back line players now more than mere obstructions for opposition players to run around, or over, but has led to a startingly increase in the athleticism and mobility of the tight 5 and loose forwards and a startling depowering of the English set piece and absence of structure and game management skills. No better example can be given of just last week when England's scrum was mercilessly humbled by the maligned Australian pack and England conspired to play Fiji style tap-and-go whilst spurning match winning shots at goal.

With that in mind, and the conditions out doors today, can England find their traditional structured, direct, forward controlled game? Or will the very physical, very direct, very powerful and very structured Springboks school them in the art of wet weather rugby?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby? Empty Re: Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:

The revolution in English rugby brought about by Stuart Lancaster has led to not only a more adverturous style of play, with back line players now more than mere obstructions for opposition players to run around,

See you make it too obvious when you say overtly ludicrous things things like this

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby? Empty Re: Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby?

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:14 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:

The revolution in English rugby brought about by Stuart Lancaster has led to not only a more adverturous style of play, with back line players now more than mere obstructions for opposition players to run around,

See you make it too obvious when you say overtly ludicrous things things like this

Read on PSW! I added "or over" just after you stopped reading.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:27 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:This time of year in Britain, with it's perpetual drizzle, overcast skies and unrelenting damp grey dank used to be Valhalla for English rugby.

Flabby immobile lumps would wade, knee deep in mud, back and forth whilst a half back and fly half would metronomically kick for the corners, or the goal posts.

The revolution in English rugby brought about by Stuart Lancaster has led to not only a more adverturous style of play, with back line players now more than mere obstructions for opposition players to run around, or over, but has led to a startingly increase in the athleticism and mobility of the tight 5 and loose forwards and a startling depowering of the English set piece and absence of structure and game management skills. No better example can be given of just last week when England's scrum was mercilessly humbled by the maligned Australian pack and England conspired to play Fiji style tap-and-go whilst spurning match winning shots at goal.

With that in mind, and the conditions out doors today, can England find their traditional structured, direct, forward controlled game? Or will the very physical, very direct, very powerful and very structured Springboks school them in the art of wet weather rugby?

It tells you something when you realise you're longing for the days of those fat immobile lumps humbling opposition scrums (ok, Oz scrums...once). But i am. Our new breed of 'athletic' forwards are, essentially, soft as poopie. Our lumbering centres have the footwork of our props of yore. It's a real winning combination and I heartily recommend the All Blacks adopt a similar approach. Please.

The Boks will batter us, though I'm half hoping their machismo falters in the face of our mighty drizzle.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:30 am

thumbsup

Hood, that made me giggle.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

Can England play wet weather rugby? We will find out today

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:34 am

Can England still play rugby?

Nearly 10 years and nothing.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:40 am

I'm sure we will play some rugby!

It'll just be sloppy, panicked, rabbit in headlights rugby always on the back foot and while constantly getting man shamed by the South Africans.

To cap it off the team probably all have to line up afterwards to ask for their genetalia back which will well and truly be in the the Boks pockets.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:40 am

Oh and then The Hask will probably come on and clothes line some one.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:53 am

RogerLewis wrote:Can England still play rugby?

There was the odd glimmer

Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby? Chris-Ashton-005

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:57 am

Careful now.
Watch: Haskell might very well come on and play good sound Rugby. He might not be Einstein, but then again, Einstein was probably not too good at Rugby.
He (Haskell, not Einstein) is a pretty good player. I think he does have some real good matches in him.
Underestimate Das Hask at your own peril...............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:59 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
RogerLewis wrote:Can England still play rugby?

There was the odd glimmer

Can England Still Play Wet Weather Rugby? Chris-Ashton-005

Wales had an off day and were rebuilding. Oh wait that's England's excuse.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote: thumbsup

Hood, that made me giggle.

I aim to please Hug

Actually a decent, serious point in there though AWOP. When is peed it down you always heard people, even some SH commentators, say 'That'll suit England'. I think some people thought it disparaging but it always struck me as obvious - conditions are favourable to a team if they play in them more often.

You can't say that about this team. All our forwards are 'mobile' or 'dynamic' apparently. Which means the SRs are 2 stones lighter than SH equivalents but are quick enough to get to a ruck before promptly being blasted off it, the props are 'scavengers' which means they can now stay on their feet for more than 1 second when a breakdown fortuitously forms right by their feet, but they still have the guts of a veteran darts player, and the loose forwards are either a) big, slow, ponderous (Easter) or b) quick, light, powerless (Croft).

The worst thing is that the players who ARE physically blessed, well, they're James Haskell. And even though I'd want him playing, I'm not entirely convinced he knows what game he's playing.

Conditions are not conducive to running rugby here, so can we realistically condition players to be those sorts of players? I say screw it, none of this half-way measure, water-log the pitch, get everyone on a pie-only diet and build on a strategy of never, EVER putting the ball through the hands.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Careful now.
Watch: Haskell might very well come on and play good sound Rugby. He might not be Einstein, but then again, Einstein was probably not too good at Rugby.
He (Haskell, not Einstein) is a pretty good player. I think he does have some real good matches in him.

He's probably the only player other than Tuilagi (please let Billy Vunipola become the next!) who, on a good day, looks physically capable of not being humbled by them. He will also probably close line someone...or get pinged in some way. His penalty count has got ridiculous recently.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

Yes excuse my mischievious tone, but if you write a straight up article nobody replies!

Will the wet pitch help the ENG scrum by depowering SA? Or will it just make it harder to hold up?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:11 pm

Hood83 wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Careful now.

He's probably the only player other than Tuilagi (please let Billy Vunipola become the next!) who, on a good day, looks physically capable of not being humbled by them. He will also probably close line someone...or get pinged in some way. His penalty count has got ridiculous recently.

My comment was tongue in cheek, Hask is as you say one of our best players when his heads in the game. Billy V is another great shout! Hopefully we'll see him in the 6N's.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:11 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Yes excuse my mischievious tone, but if you write a straight up article nobody replies!

Will the wet pitch help the ENG scrum by depowering SA? Or will it just make it harder to hold up?

Dry, Wet, On water.. England will get crucified.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:15 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Yes excuse my mischievious tone, but if you write a straight up article nobody replies!

I think the latter, the Boks should still get the upper hand in there but I expect we'll see a lot more resets and players fiddling with their studs.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:21 pm

RogerLewis wrote:

If we do, it could be worse. We could be Welsh getting hammered by Argentina and Samoa. laughing

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:23 pm

Duty281 wrote:
RogerLewis wrote:

If we do, it could be worse. We could be Welsh getting hammered by Argentina and Samoa. laughing

Tournament wins are far more important that friendlys.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:24 pm

Go back two years. England looked to have finally cracked the art of passing the ball and running past people,. winning away in Aus then walloping them at home.

They then took on SA and got kicked and shoved off the park. It largely went downhill from their (previously mentioned defeat of Wales aside), including getting absolutely creamed by Irelands pack a few months later.

England did come through a couple of horrible weather games last winter, but were far from convincing against frankly sh1te opposition. SA are bigger and tougher.

Go back to 2008 ...Johnsons first set of AIs in charge. First game up they win big against disorganised Islander opposition despite playing some sloppy rugby.
Next up they lose to Australia, no great disgrace but the axe comes out and its decided they need more forward grunt and to go back to basics to take on SA upfront.
England get absolutely dicked on in every department.

Im not holding out great hopes for this game.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

RogerLewis wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
RogerLewis wrote:

True, pity for Wales they lost so many games in the world cup.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:26 pm

Hey! No Wales/Eng bickering here please. Just keep it about SA/ENG and wet weather styles. There are plenty of places to bicker.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:27 pm

RogerLewis wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
RogerLewis wrote:

Oh is that what they are now? Friendlies. So it won't matter if you lose all 4? Which you will. Agree with you about the Tournament wins - England have more Grand Slams, Five Nations Titles, Six Nations Titles and one more World Cup than the little Welsh.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:45 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Hey! No Wales/Eng bickering here please. Just keep it about SA/ENG and wet weather styles. There are plenty of places to bicker.

Funny coming from the WUM in chief!

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:00 pm

The English get plenty of practice in the rain - now that Corbs is back in the front row I think we'll be a lot more solid at the scrum. I don't think it will be a man-shaming - I think we might even sneak it. Looking forward to a tough game!
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:05 pm

Cant help but feel if we'd had a roof on Twickers it may have been different

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:22 pm

ffs, more excuses. Pathetic mate. Your bad karma is cursing the team.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:23 pm

Linebreaker wrote:ffs, more excuses. Pathetic mate. Your bad karma is cursing the team.

Oh come on tell me you wouldnt have liked the Scotland game played indoors ......

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:26 pm

No. The hurricane was the same for both teams and fair play to Scotland.

Wrong again bad loser.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:03 pm

linebreaker, I don't think I've seen Seabiscuit make a serious comment on here. I think you're reacting a bit strongly to a joke.

Seabiscuit, I know there have been a few serious posts but mostly hidden in sarcy urine-takes Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:06 pm

RogerLewis wrote:

There's only one team that got crucified today. It wasn't England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:10 pm

Forget can they play in wet weather?
Can they still play rugby end of?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:20 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:linebreaker, I don't think I've seen Seabiscuit make a serious comment on here. I think you're reacting a bit strongly to a joke.

Seabiscuit, I know there have been a few serious posts but mostly hidden in sarcy urine-takes Smile

Tone is hard to gauge on here. Don't worry. We go 'way back'. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 24 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

I thought England did a great job of wet weather rugby.

But I'm starting to wonder if they are the new Scotland viz the ability to score tries.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 8:27 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:I thought England did a great job of wet weather rugby.

But I'm starting to wonder if they are the new Scotland viz the ability to score tries.

Id be happy with 3 against your lot next week.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down