The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basic Question...

+3
incontinentia
super_realist
Diggers
7 posters

Go down

Basic Question... Empty Basic Question...

Post by Diggers Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:10 am

Ive just started a course of lessons (they were a present bought earlier in the year, to be honest it will all probably be a waste of time as I have no real opportunity to practise or play right now Crying or Very sad ) and the guy has changed a few things while saying my basic fundementals are fine.
Anyhow, one of the things he did change was to narrow my stance slightly. And he said I should keep it exactly the same for every club. In the past Id always tended to widen the stance for the longer clubs and gradually get a bit narrower to say 7 iron where it would stay pretty much the same for the rest of the clubs. The idea being I guess to have a bit more stability when making a full swing with a longer club.
When I watch the pros they do seem to me to have a wider stance for driver than for say 8 iron and I just wondered what others on here thought and did. I will go with what the coach is telling me as it would be pintless not to and I liked the other changes he made. Ive always had a bit of a flying elbow and he managed to cure that in a couple of minutes so happy about that. He is a tad condescending though which is a bit of a shame but cest la vie.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Basic Question... Empty Re: Basic Question...

Post by super_realist Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:13 am

Could be based on Poulter Diggers. I'd sack him

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:22 am

Dont think stance is that big a deal diggers, generally its advised that the stance be shoulder width for the driver and then narrow gradually as the club gets shorter. But some pros pros use a narrow stance for the driver and it works well e.g. Sergio. Find your own balance between stability (wide) and mobility (narrow).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:23 am

When I'm chipping from inside 50 yards my feet are almost together

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:31 am

Not that I'm a brilliant role model being a mere 8 h'cap, but I tend to have the same width of stance for full swings through the bag. Only narrow the stance for shorter swings.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:51 am

I got told to be shoulder width as a young junior player and I've been aiming for that ever since. I don't change my stance width on anything really except shortish pitches off the back foot.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:57 am

No swing guru either, but I've narrowed my stance too recently as I felt I wasn't transferring weight that well. I find it much better with a narrower stance. I seem to get through the ball better where as before I could get stuck on my right side on the down swing.

Good luck by the way. OK

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 27 Nov 2012, 11:03 am

Cheers guys, seems like I was probably tinkering a bit too much. Got an hour lesson again on Saturday so will have to try and hit a range this week beforehand to practise the changes he made.
Unfortunately for me, like many, I can hit it fine on the range anyway, its when I walk onto a course that it all starts to go horribly wrong.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:54 pm

I suppose it's like everything else there are pros& cons of stance width, too wide and you begin to lose the ability to rotate, also it puts your hands closer to the ground so there can also be the side issue of the ball creeping further and further away at address.

Too narrow and it's harder to have stability throughout the swing. Of course no 2 anatomies are built the same so I guess you just have to find what's right for you.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down