The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Tennis & SPOTY

+11
dummy_half
The Special Juan
Mad for Chelsea
djlovesyou
User 774433
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
Danny_1982
banbrotam
Calder106
lydian
15 posters

Go down

British Tennis & SPOTY Empty British Tennis & SPOTY

Post by lydian Wed 28 Nov 2012, 15:58

1. Who has done RELATIVELY better this year?
a) Murray for Wimb final, US Open and OG Gold?
b) Robson for making huge strides up the ranking, OG silver, 1st WTA final
OK, Robson's achievements dont match Murray's this year...but what about relatively speaking?

2. Does Murray have a chance at SPOTY'12?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

British Tennis & SPOTY Empty Re: British Tennis & SPOTY

Post by Calder106 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 16:22

Not sure you can sensibly compare their achievements relatively. Both will have set themselves objectives during the year and will consider they have at least achieved these ones (they may have had others they haven't met). I imagine the OG silver was a bit of a bonus to both of them. Obviously Andy's will have to have been set at a higher level than Laura's but both have done really well at their relative levels (as has Heather Watson). As in the the big bad business world they will have to set the bar higher next year or be seen as plateauing or dropping back.

Murray has no chance of winning SPOTY'12 in my opinion. In another year maybe. However there have been so many people who have achieved this year. I expect it will be Bradley Wiggins but personally would prefer it to be Mo Farah or Jessica Ennis. Actually I think anyone in the final 12 would be a worthy winner.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 28 Nov 2012, 16:25

Andy

And I think he has a better chance than a lot of people think and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Top 3

Of course Mo, Wiggo and Jess are probably more favoured

I actually think that if it's anyone else than these four, then we have to question the mentally of the public

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:25

It's gonna be Wiggins, Murray, Ennis/Farah in that order.

What about Watson vs Robson? Didn't Watson win the first British WTA title since Queen Victoria?

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:36

I think Andy and Wiggo are the two stand outs. I would personally say Andy should win because the Tour de France is such a team event... But I think that Wiggo will win it because no Brit has ever win it before, and essentially I'd have no issue with that.

There are a lot of gold medalists, but Andy and Wiggo stand out for having achieved such great feats in their sport in addition to Olympic gold.

In a year of such British success there is a chance Andy won't even make the top 3. Especially as SPoTY is also a popularity contest... And who could possibly dislike the likes of Farrah and the gorgeous Jess Ennis.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:40

I have no idea why Robson is constantly favored over Watson. Watson is higher ranked than Robson and won the first British WTA title since Queen Victoria (although I wasn't aware that Queen Victoria won one... ). Yet Robson gets all the limelight. Also it's Robson who has just won WTA newcomer of the year award. I can also remember at the Olympics Watson expressing public upset about Robson being picked to play doubles with Murray and not herself. For her to say this publicly hints at an even greater feeling of being snubbed that she feels in private.

I wonder why?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:42

emancipator wrote:It's gonna be Wiggins, Murray, Ennis/Farah in that order.

What about Watson vs Robson? Didn't Watson win the first British WTA title since Queen Victoria?

Watson v Robson is a tough one. Watson won a tour title, is slightly ahead of Laura in the rankings and did well at Wimbledon. But Robson's successes were more 'box office' with the Olympic silver and beating a couple of slam winners in New York.

How amazing and positive that we're even discussing which of our British female tennis players deserves the most plaudits?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:48

Which one did Queen Victoria win?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:50

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Hawkeyes done that one already Julius British Tennis & SPOTY 3933776953

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:52

The fact that Robson is clearly the more talented player is usually ignored when people bemoan the difference in exposure between the two players.

That and Robson winning Wimbledon juniors at the age of 14, which was always going to make her the number one with the media.

As for the newcomer of the year award, the fact that Robson is 2 years younger that Watson is going to be a factor in that one. Also, her wins at the US Open were far more significant than Watson winning a MM event in Asia.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:53

It Must Be Love wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

You think I read hawkeye's posts?

(just kidding HE)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:59

as for SPOTY, McIlroy probably deserves a mention too (I know golf is not everyone's cup of tea, but...): won a major, part of the RC winning team, won a handful of other tournaments and world n°1.

I think any of the 12 would be worthy winners, but Wiggins has had an unbelievable year: aside from the TdF and Olympics, he won three week-long races, two of which are probably the two most prestigious such races (Paris-Nice and Dauphine), also rather amazingly unbeaten in long time trials (ie non prologue-length) including of course demolishing the field at the Olympics.

I'd expect Murray to make the top 5, maybe even top 3, and deservedly so.

There's also a simple reason Robson was prefered to Watson for the Olympics: her far superior return of serve (always a key in doubles) and better net skills make her the better doubles player, simple as. The fact she and Murray had played together before was an added bonus, and them getting to the final more than justified the decision.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 19:01

Murray should win.

Tennis takes much more all round skill than cycling imo.
Anyway I've always found this award rather superficial, if they're just judging in personality then why would their achievements make such a big difference?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 19:06

When is SPoTY anyway? Is it next week sometime?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 28 Nov 2012, 19:18

It Must Be Love wrote:Murray should win.

Anyway I've always found this award rather superficial, if they're just judging in personality then why would their achievements make such a big difference?

What's taking 'more all-round skill' got to do with anything? All sports have need differing levels of skill/strength/stamina/flexibility, etc. The fact that tennis requires a different set of attributes to cycling doesn't make tennis a more important sport. Winning the TDF is a hundred times more physically demanding than winning a grand slam, but it doesn't mean cycling should be regarded as being better.

The award has nothing to do with personality either. The word 'personality' in the title is just a more grammatically elegant way of saying sportsperson or sportsman/woman of the year.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 19:52

Danny_1982 wrote:When is SPoTY anyway? Is it next week sometime?

I think it's the 14th Danny, but I'm not 100% sure.

As for the OP, both are fantastic achievements for each player. I think they've accomplished what they wanted to this year. And as for Robson v Watson, Robson for me is miles better, plus she is younger. I fancy her to have at least 2 WTA titles by the time she is 20 as opposed to 'Ev's 1.

Murray v Wiggins.... Both achieved great things for both themselves and Britain this year. I'd vote for Murray anyway but because cycling is in such a horrific state at the moment that might go against Wiggins. I can't remember the last major winner in tennis to be done for drugs, at least on the men's side.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 28 Nov 2012, 21:14

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

You think I read hawkeye's posts?

(just kidding HE)

Ha ha! I was thinking of you as I typed it.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Nov 2012, 21:19

It Must Be Love wrote:Murray should win.

I don't think the word 'personality' in sports personality is meant to be taken too literally.

You should probably read it as sports person of the year.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 30 Nov 2012, 14:25

lydian wrote:1. Who has done RELATIVELY better this year?
a) Murray for Wimb final, US Open and OG Gold?
b) Robson for making huge strides up the ranking, OG silver, 1st WTA final
OK, Robson's achievements dont match Murray's this year...but what about relatively speaking?

2. Does Murray have a chance at SPOTY'12?

1 - It's a good question (and including Watson in the discussions is reasonable). All three have probably achieved their primary target for the year, and in the case of the two girls probably exceeded expectations. The only reason I don't say the same about Andy is that outside of the slams and Olympics his year has been poorer than the last two or three - his standard is usually about 6 titles including 2 MS 1000 level, so 3 titles for the year is a bit down. In that sense, I'd actually rate Robson and Watson's seasons as (relatively) the more successful.

2 - Well, Andy picked a bad year to be the first British man to win a slam since the Norman Conquest, even allowing for his success at the Olympics as well. Almost any other year he'd have been odds-on favourite for SPOTY, but against Wiggins, Farah, Ennis etc it's far from a foregone conclusion. It's always difficult to judge the relative merits performances across different sports - how do you really compare Wiggins TdF title (plus Olympic gold and being world ranked #1 cyclist after multiple stage race wins) with Murray's season or with Mo Farah winning the 5000m and 10000m double at the Olympics?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Nov 2012, 14:53

I would've put Justin Rose as my SPOTY just for the putts on 17&18 in his singles against Mickelson at the RC.

As for Andy, for tennis yes I would like to see him win it, but I find myself pulling for Mo Farrah as I felt his achievements aside, he done it with a smile and I found quite endearing.

Robson v Watson, well for me Robson all day.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 30 Nov 2012, 15:03

My vote would go to Mo too. Although I'm not actually sure how to vote. Mo not only won with a smile and style but he did it under maximum pressure. He really HAD to win those two races. I find it extra impressive to win under these conditions as I can't imagine how anyone can perform their best under these conditions.

So far IMO Watson is the more impressive.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 30 Nov 2012, 15:25

I sense we could see a few Hawkeye special threads regarding Laura Robson in the future, should she make further improvements.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 15:31

djlovesyou wrote:I sense we could see a few Hawkeye special threads regarding Laura Robson in the future, should she make further improvements.

Ha, I think you're right dj. Laura is set to become the female Murray in HE's eyes.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Nov 2012, 15:42

So far IMO Watson is the more impressive.

There is a good way to measure. US Open Watson lost to Li Na in straight sets. One could argue they are similar in styles. Robson after coming through Clijsters, beat Na in 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 30 Nov 2012, 15:51

Unfortunately I don't see either Robson or Watson at the very top of the game...

legendkillarV2. There has been recent debate here about ways of measuring how good a player is. The consensus appeared to be use ranking points and significant titles. Watson is ahead on both of these. Sadly the media appears to be using other means to measure. Well sadly for Watson...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 30 Nov 2012, 15:56

legendkillarV2 wrote:I would've put Justin Rose as my SPOTY just for the putts on 17&18 in his singles against Mickelson at the RC.

Thanks for reminding me, they were absolutely outrageous putts. Excellent to see Mickelson applauding him on each occasion as well, good sportsmanship.

I'd like to see David Weir win. Wiggins and Murray I'd be happy with too, though I suspect the latter will have plenty more opportunities to win the award, whereas for Wiggo this is probably the very pinnacle of his illustrious career. To be fair, they'd all be hugely worthy winners. I was a bit disappointed to not see Alistair Brownlee on the shortlist, as behind Rudisha I think he turned in the best performance at the games, but I've no idea who I'd boot out to accommodate him.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 01 Dec 2012, 21:21

when will we come 2 know the winner?

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sat 01 Dec 2012, 21:47

invisiblecoolers wrote:when will we come 2 know the winner?

Sunday 16th December around 9/10pm GMT ic

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 01 Dec 2012, 21:50

two pieces i wrote regarding spoty a while back

http://richard-mills-sports.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/mo-farah-or-bradley-wiggins-for-sports.html

http://richard-mills-sports.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/isnt-it-about-time-paralympian-won.html

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 02 Dec 2012, 20:59

sportslover wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:when will we come 2 know the winner?

Sunday 16th December around 9/10pm GMT ic

Thx SL thumbsup Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down