The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Putter Poll

+9
SmithersJones
oldshanker
navyblueshorts
Bob_the_Job
JeffCarnage
super_realist
hogie
kwinigolfer
Diggers
13 posters

Go down

Who on here uses a long putter

Long Putter Poll Vote_lcap4%Long Putter Poll Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Long Putter Poll Vote_lcap0%Long Putter Poll Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Long Putter Poll Vote_lcap4%Long Putter Poll Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Long Putter Poll Vote_lcap92%Long Putter Poll Vote_rcap 92% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 24

Poll closed

Long Putter Poll Empty Long Putter Poll

Post by Diggers Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:37 pm

V2 Long Putter Poll

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Long Putter Poll Empty Re: Long Putter Poll

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Still don't believe this is in the top half dozen changes that need to be made - would leave it alone, or at least until the ball and other clubs were brought under control.

As stated in my notes, Geoffrey Green was right . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Under the proposed changes couldn’t the guys with broom handles, simply “lock” their left shoulder and left elbow in position, away from their body (so that their elbow is pointed towards the target) and the top of the broom handle is and inch or so under their chin? I would have thought that that will provide just the same pendulum motion without any direct anchoring….

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I've spoilt my ballot paper

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 pm

hogie wrote:Under the proposed changes couldn’t the guys with broom handles, simply “lock” their left shoulder and left elbow in position, away from their body (so that their elbow is pointed towards the target) and the top of the broom handle is and inch or so under their chin? I would have thought that that will provide just the same pendulum motion without any direct anchoring….

Hi Hogie,

You're right. I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I'm not sure I'll get the same stability, but definitely worth trying.

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:39 pm

super_realist wrote:I've spoilt my ballot paper

Hey, when you've gotta go you've gotta go.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 pm

laughing

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:11 pm

Laugh I like the wording of the poll. Talk about leading the undecideds!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:I've spoilt my ballot paper

Hey, when you've gotta go you've gotta go.
Laugh Awesome! Best laugh of a poor day for me. Cheers Bob Ok!.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:32 pm

I still take massive offence at being called a cheat! Sad

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:47 pm

On a serious note, it's pretty obvious how this poll would come out.

You'll have 2 schools of thought. The group who use a short putter, and agree with the ruling. The you'll have the other group who use a long putter who don't agree with the ban.

Factoring in that very few amateur golfers use a long putter (shall we say about 5%?), I would expect the poll to read..... 95% agree with the ban, and 5% don't! You'll find very few people who are against the ban, who haven't experienced the yips.

However, in a very cruel way, I wish more people experienced the horror of the yips! Then I can absolutely 100% guarantee you that the views would change!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 pm

JeffCarnage wrote:On a serious note, it's pretty obvious how this poll would come out.

You'll have 2 schools of thought. The group who use a short putter, and agree with the ruling. The you'll have the other group who use a long putter who don't agree with the ban.

Factoring in that very few amateur golfers use a long putter (shall we say about 5%?), I would expect the poll to read..... 95% agree with the ban, and 5% don't! You'll find very few people who are against the ban, who haven't experienced the yips.

However, in a very cruel way, I wish more people experienced the horror of the yips! Then I can absolutely 100% guarantee you that the views would change!

Er no!

I have suffered from the yips for many years, there are people on this board who have watched me 'twitch' a ball off the green. The one time I have actually tried a long putter, I found that my control was even worse, likewise with a 'heavy' putter. I got better results with a shortened putter, some which I have weighted, some which have thick grips, some very thin, But in the end, I have got the best, most reliable results from using an unadulterated Scotty teryllium, lots of practice to get the muscle memory working again and trying to be as loose as possible.

Mind you, I do not have to earn my living from golf - what's that SJ? Bloody good job as well you say! Yahoo
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:39 pm

oldshanker wrote:
JeffCarnage wrote:On a serious note, it's pretty obvious how this poll would come out.

Er no!

I have suffered from the yips for many years, there are people on this board who have watched me 'twitch' a ball off the green. The one time I have actually tried a long putter, I found that my control was even worse, likewise with a 'heavy' putter. I got better results with a shortened putter, some which I have weighted, some which have thick grips, some very thin, But in the end, I have got the best, most reliable results from using an unadulterated Scotty teryllium, lots of practice to get the muscle memory working again and trying to be as loose as possible.

Mind you, I do not have to earn my living from golf - what's that SJ? Bloody good job as well you say! Yahoo

I'm saying nothing. Mind you, anyone looks like a bad putter up against the ringer with that spider!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 pm

When do you know you have the yips?

I am just wondering what the symptoms are that finally make you sure you have them?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 am

McLaren wrote:When do you know you have the yips?

I am just wondering what the symptoms are that finally make you sure you have them?

You have an uncontrollable twitch of your wrists. You'd definitely know if you had them. The funny thing is, once you've done it once, it's tough to stop!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 am

"Never" is a bit strong. Have no current intention of using anchoring, but could see myself trying it as a last resort or a way to build confidence back if putting badly deteriorates.

If you've ever seen me play though, you'd know it would be difficult for my putting to be much worse...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 am

I would have though the yips would only happen to professionals due to the pressure of this being their livelihood. To the rest it is only a game right?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 am

Funny seeing Eric Bristow talking about having the yips on IACGMOOH. He obviously needed to try using longer darts.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:26 am

hogie wrote:Under the proposed changes couldn’t the guys with broom handles, simply “lock” their left shoulder and left elbow in position, away from their body (so that their elbow is pointed towards the target) and the top of the broom handle is and inch or so under their chin? I would have thought that that will provide just the same pendulum motion without any direct anchoring….

As long as you don't anchor against your body, this is a legal way to use a long putter.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down