The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters ruined by a lack of care by their corners...

+3
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Fighters ruined by a lack of care by their corners... Empty Fighters ruined by a lack of care by their corners...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm

For me Berto has just become the next Meldrick Taylor...great skills but completely battered and no doubt will never be the same again....

However whilst I don't think Duva did much wrong....I think Berto great fight or not should've been taken out earlier..

The early rounds resembled Moore and Duran.....shocking refereeing......

Kind of brings me to a list of fighters let down in varying degrees by their corners...........at a future cost!!

1. ROSARIO v Chavez...........After round 8 the fight was a no-contest.Those three rounds cost Rosario an awful lot....

2. HILTON v Hines..............Papa Hilton didn't want to see his Son (one of the most exciting and colorful fighters of the 80s) lose and so kept chucking him out when he was spent....from round six onwards..........cost him a decent future I reckon..

3. PRATCHETT v Chavez.......JC appears twice and it's a shame....Pratchett had an inexperienced corner who let the guy pay a terrible price for going the distance..........

4. TERRELL v Ali..............Probably wishes he'd called him my his Muslim name.........

5. HONEY v Starling.......All over by the sixth.....It was really upsetting to see Honey battered like that!! Cool ....Completely wrecked for the Breland fight...Whilst I admire Duff greatly and don't think he did too much wrong.....maybe he should have accepted it wasn't Honey's night!!

Sure there are better examples but these are the ones that spring to mind...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Fighters ruined by a lack of care by their corners... Empty Re: Fighters ruined by a lack of care by their corners...

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:11 pm

McLellan

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Fighters ruined by a lack of care by their corners... Empty Re: Fighters ruined by a lack of care by their corners...

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Thinking about modern days fights Rios-Murray springs to mind. Murray wasn't going to give up and stop throwing punches but he wasn't nearly a match for Rios who just couldn't miss with big shots. Murrays eyes were grossly swollen and he was taking a pounding yet Gallagher didn't pull him out

Murray has been pulled out of his Rees fight due to failing a health test recently and I think it may be because of the pasting he took from rios

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 pm

The most obvious one is LACY vs Calzaghe

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 pm

I was gonna say McLellan too.

Berto never in Taylor's class.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 pm

vitali vs adamek, he was getting leathered by a much bigger guy and his corner could have called it a day much earlier.

a great corner moment was when floyd came back after a round (his papa wasnt in the corner) and his corner man told him not to panic, floyd just said "what you on about, i aint panicking", followed by 55 seconds of silence

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:vitali vs adamek, he was getting leathered by a much bigger guy and his corner could have called it a day much earlier.

a great corner moment was when floyd came back after a round (his papa wasnt in the corner) and his corner man told him not to panic, floyd just said "what you on about, i aint panicking", followed by 55 seconds of silence

Haha you have to find that video

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Vitali vs Briggs, Shannon got his face broken and his corner was a joke

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:vitali vs adamek, he was getting leathered by a much bigger guy and his corner could have called it a day much earlier.

Haha you have to find that video

think it might have been the ortiz fight but not 100% sure.

also ortiz's corner was doing everything they could to make him carry on against lopez, when his jaw had been broken.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I agree with Lacy, McClellan and Murray being the three that came to my mind first. McClellan's corner man was a complete fruit cake. No way would Manny Steward have let his man get in that situation. Plus any normal person would have felt somewhat responsible for what happened, however having watched the documentary on the fight last year he felt he had done a brilliant job even now.

I do believe Lacy was better than how he is seen now. I feel that had he been pulled out earlier Calzaghe's win could be seen as greater as I believe he would have had a much better career.

With Murray it still remains to be seen whats left of him. Hopefully his pull out of the Rees fight was unrelated.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down