The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Ten Uncrowned Champions - 1 - Sam Langford

+24
manos de piedra
Interceptor
Union Cane
superflyweight
trenchtownbaboon
two_tone
coxy0001
aja424
huw
JabMachineMK2
John Bloody Wayne
trottb
Adam D
joeyjojo618
Imperial Ghosty
Melkor
Gordy
Il Gialloblu
88Chris05
Steffan
SirJohnnyEnglish
bhb001
captain carrantuohil
Rowley
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Top Ten Uncrowned Champions - 1 - Sam Langford - Page 2 Empty Top Ten Uncrowned Champions - 1 - Sam Langford

Post by Rowley Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:13 am

First topic message reminder :

Whilst opinion differs as to where the phrase pound for pound originated, few if any could argue that it was never more appropriate than when applied to the number one in our list, the legendary Sam Langford. Born in Nova Scotia in March 1884 Sam was a boisterous boy who left home at 14. Despite being short of build Sam was physically strong and found work easy to come by, however his desire to travel saw him leave Canada, arriving in Boston in 1901.

Once in the city Sam found work at Joe Woodman’s drug store and gym where Sam’s duties including cleaning and general upkeep of the place. However, perhaps inevitably it was not long before Sam was sparring with the fighters and it soon became apparent Sam was a quick learner and that his power was something truly special. Sam had a very brief amateur career before turning pro in 1902. In his first 26 fights Sam only lost one. His breakout opportunity came next when he got a match up with the great lightweight champion Joe Gans. As Sam was over the limit his title was not on the line and this was to be something Joe was thankful for as after taking the first few rounds Sam began to work out his vastly more experienced foe and from the fifth on he took control of the fight and whilst the fight was close when the decision was announced few took umbrage with Sam being announced as the winner. This was a remarkable win for a fighter of only 17 years old and less than 30 fights, what was even more remarkable was Gans announced pretty much straight after he had no intention of meeting Sam again anytime soon.

One the back of the Gans win Sam found his level of opposition improving and himself being matched against the excellent Dave Holly and Jack Blackburn, who would go on to earn more fame as Joe Louis’ trainer but was an excellent fighter in his own right during his career. Whilst Sam would not always win during this period he was showing enough form and improvement to prove the Gans win was no fluke. His next named opponent was against the big punching welterweight champion Barbados Joe Walcott, although the official verdict in the fight was a draw most at ringside thought this fortunate to Joe and Sam should have received the nod.

1905 saw Sam continue to fight the usual suspects but it was clear that title shots in the lower weights were not going to be forthcoming and unbelievably in December of that year Sam decided to test his luck in with the heavyweights when he took on the excellent Joe Jeannette. It should be stressed at this point Sam stood little over 5ft 7 and just a year ago had been fighting at welterweight. Although Sam lost this fight Sam decided he saw enough to encourage him he could compete with the big boys and he was to spend a good amount of the next few years and indeed the rest of his career fighting heavyweight and conceding massive size and weight advantages.

One of the heavyweights faced by Sam during this period was the future world champion and all-time great Jack Johnson. Whilst Johnson deservedly won the fight Sam showed enough form and power that he seems to have seriously spooked Jack because during Johnson’s title reign, by which point Sam had more experience of fighting heavies, countless offers were made for Johnson to defend his title against Sam, all of which were declined. Australian promoter Hugh Macintosh is even on record as saying he would have paid Johnson the not inconsiderable sum of $50,000 for such a fight.

As Sam entered 1907 he entered what was almost certainly the purple patch of his career between 1907 and 1912 Sam was to record only two losses from 53 fights, both of which were avenged and one, a loss to Sam McVea was also hotly contested. His form during this period is even more impressive when one considers he was fighting regularly against such excellent fighters as Joe Jeannette, Sam McVea, Jim Barry and Jeff Clarke.

Perhaps one of Sam’s most interesting fights during this period was against middleweight champion Stanley Ketchel. Sam had an eye on a shot at Stanley’s middleweight champion however in their fight Stanley would only agree to a six round no decision affair. Sam now found himself in a difficult position, he wanted to show enough form to suggest raise interest and financial backing for a title shot but not too much form to send Ketchel running to the hills. According to most reports it appears Sam did this, whilst no decision was issued most newspapers were split over who deserved the nod, with most perhaps leaning to Ketchel, although pretty much all agreed Sam was fighting well within himself. Irrespective of how Sam performed in this fight Ketchel’s untimely death was to end any chances of the two meeting for the title proper.

Sam fought regularly throughout his career around the world taking in fights in France, Australia and the UK and he was always well received on the back of both his exciting fighting style and easy going good nature outside the ring which inevitably drew him favourable comparisons with the more arrogant and difficult Johnson but did little to get him anywhere nearer a title shot with his nemesis despite offers being made by promoters in all three of these countries.

Whilst Sam was to remain a valid contender for a good few years on his form began to take a downturn from its imperious peak, this was down to a number of factors, the knowledge that a title shot with Johnson would not happen must surely be a factor as was Sam’s less than stellar approach to his training, but equally as big a factor was the emergence of the excellent Harry Wills, Sam was to fight eighteen fights with the excellent Wills and whilst he won some of their earlier encounters as Harry improved and Sam aged Harry was to have the wood on Sam and replace him as the most likely contender for a title shot, although as Harry’s place on this list tells us he met with as much success as Sam in actually securing a shot.

Sam was to fight on until 1926 despite the fact he was nearly blind at the time and his later fights appear to have been farcical and tragic affairs but even as late in his career in 1922 Sam was capable of showing signs of the old magic beating fighters as good as Tiger Flowers and irrespective of age and failing eye sight if Sam could connect with one of his honey punches it tended to be the end of any fight.
Tributes to Sam from his rivals and those who saw him in the flesh are almost universal, featherweight great Abe Attell described him as the best ever even going as far as to say Sam would have known too much for the legendary Joe Louis. Nearly all of Sam’s opponents such as Harry Wills and Fireman Jim Flynn describing Sam as the heaviest hitters they ever faced, with Fireman Jim Flynn describing being hit by Sam as either being hit by a baseball bat or taking ether such were the sleep inducing effects. Even a cursory glance at the records of Wills and Flynn will tell you how high a compliment the endorsement of these two is.

It would be easy to look at Sam’s record and see the occasional losses to the likes of McVea, Johnson and Wills and suspect he was over rated or undeserving of his place atop this list. This for me would be an unfair reading as what should not be forgotten was Sam by right had no business being in the ring with these guys in the first place being barely above 5ft 7 and perfectly capable of making the middleweight limit. The simple reality is Sam fought the big guys because nobody at his own weight would entertain the idea of meeting Langford, such was his greatness.

10 Jim Driscoll
9 Kid Norfolk
8 Peter Jackson
7 Lew Tendler
6 Harry Wills
5 Mike Gibbons
4 Jimmy Bivins
3 Packey McFarland
2 Charley Burley
1 Sam Langford

Last edited by Rotherham Joe Gans on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Uncrowned Champions - 1 - Sam Langford - Page 2 Empty Re: Top Ten Uncrowned Champions - 1 - Sam Langford

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 07 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

So if Calzaghe thought he could beat them why didn't he step up and do it instead of just talking about, also why has nobody beaten them in over 7 years if a former super middleweight could?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Uncrowned Champions - 1 - Sam Langford - Page 2 Empty Re: Top Ten Uncrowned Champions - 1 - Sam Langford

Post by Rowley Fri 07 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So if Calzaghe thought he could beat them why didn't he step up and do it instead of just talking about, also why has nobody beaten them in over 7 years if a former super middleweight could?

Dear God ghosty are some things not obvious he did not want his career highest payday, a guaranteed place amongst boxings immortals and to be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Ali Armstrong, Greb etc, is it not obvious?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:39 pm

The reason Klitschko is unbeaten in so long is because the division is so bad. Calzaghe was NEVER beaten and was in a far harder division so anyone who understands boxing should know Calzaghe was a FAR better fighter than Klitschko. Put it this way, did Calzaghe come out and say he would beat Lewis or Tyson? No, because he knew those were great heavyweights that he would not be able to beat. But Klitschko?? Come on! He is champion in the worst ever era and Calzaghe knew this which is why he knew he would beat him. He was a far more talented boxer than Klitschko. Calzaghe knew his boxing and he knew that Klitschko was only champion because heavyweights now are rubbish. This is what I have been trying to explain to people.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

I don't understand Boxing mate...so your logic is wasted on me...

For me you're the Stephen Hawkings of 606....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 08 Dec 2012, 6:02 pm

Why didn't he step up and beat either Klitschko then?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 08 Dec 2012, 6:30 pm

Calzaghe was like Lewis and decided to retire at the top unbeaten. He had acheived his goals and he knew that beating Klitschko would not get much respect with true boxing fans because Klitschko is not a good champion. It was better for Calzaghe to be known as a great champion in his own division which was harder than to be known for beating a poor heavyweight in the worst ever hevyweight era. Only people who overrate Klitschko would think that. Maybe Calzaghe should have beaten him just to prove his point but I dont really think there was much point to it the same way Lewis could have kept fighting and being champion if he wanted to but his motivation was not there anymore.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:33 am

Gordy wrote:Calzaghe was like Lewis and decided to retire at the top unbeaten.

Except Lewis was beaten .... twice. And put two photos up side by side and ask people which is Calzaghe and which is Lewis and I better a good proportion of them will get it right. Nothing alike really.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:07 am

Gordy wrote:Calzaghe was like Lewis and decided to retire at the top unbeaten. He had acheived his goals and he knew that beating Klitschko would not get much respect with true boxing fans because Klitschko is not a good champion. It was better for Calzaghe to be known as a great champion in his own division which was harder than to be known for beating a poor heavyweight in the worst ever hevyweight era. Only people who overrate Klitschko would think that. Maybe Calzaghe should have beaten him just to prove his point but I dont really think there was much point to it the same way Lewis could have kept fighting and being champion if he wanted to but his motivation was not there anymore.

In the famous words of Sam Beckett "oh boy" - incidentally do you think Sam Beckett would have actually killed himself if he had leapt into the body of Gordy?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

bhb001 wrote:

Except Lewis was beaten .... twice. And put two photos up side by side and ask people which is Calzaghe and which is Lewis and I better a good proportion of them will get it right. Nothing alike really.

Did you watch Lewis box?? One of his losses was in a fight where the ref would not let him continue even though he wanted to. He easily won the rematch so I dont count that as a loss because he would have won if the ref did his job right. His other loss was when he wasnt focused but again he easily won the rematch in frightning style so I dont think its a true loss in the sense that he wasnt beaten by a better fighter, he only lost because he wasnt focused and he showed what he was really about in the rematch. If Lewis fought like he did against Tyson then Ali is the only boxer in history that could beat him and it would be a close fight at that.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:57 pm

He still ducked flash elorde

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:38 am

Gordy wrote:Did you watch Lewis box?? One of his losses was in a fight where the ref would not let him continue even though he wanted to. He easily won the rematch so I dont count that as a loss because he would have won if the ref did his job right. His other loss was when he wasnt focused but again he easily won the rematch in frightning style so I dont think its a true loss in the sense that he wasnt beaten by a better fighter, he only lost because he wasnt focused and he showed what he was really about in the rematch. If Lewis fought like he did against Tyson then Ali is the only boxer in history that could beat him and it would be a close fight at that.

He was out on his feet, beaten by the better man on the night against McCall. Yes he avenged it, but McCall wasn't exactly...well at the end of that fight.

Against Rahman, it was a loss any way you look at it. Did he lose the fight? Yes. Better boxers get beaten on the night sometimes. He avenged it, yes - but he LOST the first fight you numpty. A true knockout loss.

As for your idiotic comment about the only boxer in history blah blah. You do talk out of your arse mate. If you think that Joe Frazier wouldn't give Lewis fits as he gave Ali, then you're dumber than your posts suggest. If you honestly sit there thinking that "Prime Hulk, Superman" Tyson of the mid 80's wouldn't have troubled Lewis then you're wrong. If you think Foreman wouldn't have hurt Lewis badly then you're wrong. If you think Holmes wouldn't have touched Lewis then sorry mate, but you're wrong. Vitali was giving him a hard time too, and I look at Wlad now and I think even he would make Lewis struggle if he met the Lewis that beat Tyson.

I'm a massive Lewis fan, I rate him #4 in my heavyweight ATG's but thats based on achievements and talent. I do not think that Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Holmes, Bowe or anyone else you throw up would have been wiped clean out as you seem to think. He would have had a horrible time with Tyson had they met in the 80's. Frazier would have done what he did to Ali, walked through his best punches and gone to work. Ali had a much better chin than Lewis and he was wobbled, troubled and all inbetween by Smoking Joe.

Please, can you at least show SOME objectivity when you post? You talk absolute drivel sometimes, you remind me of D4 when he talked about Pacquiao. By the way, thats not a good thing.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:09 am

I think jab machine defended my corner well. Nothing to add really except thanks. Smile

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:09 am

Have to say from my perspective it is nice to know all the work on this series could have been saved my simply writing Lennox Lewis - Overrated - discuss.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:25 am

Rowley, this thread has been high jacked, but I amongst many on here have thoroughly enjoyed this effort from you. Intelligent, informative and even emotional to see how these men continued to reach for greatness no matter what barrier was put in front of them, be that war, the colour line or even just being too good. Again, I say thank you for putting in all this time to share your insights with us. (That wasn’t laid on too thick was it?)

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:25 am

Not at all mate, I'm very needy and like the validation

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:00 am

bhb001 wrote:Rowley, this thread has been high jacked, but I amongst many on here have thoroughly enjoyed this effort from you. Intelligent, informative and even emotional to see how these men continued to reach for greatness no matter what barrier was put in front of them, be that war, the colour line or even just being too good. Again, I say thank you for putting in all this time to share your insights with us. (That wasn’t laid on too thick was it?)

Couldn't have said it better myself mate. Great OP, shame it descended into what this has become - like I said, I enjoyed reading these while banned.

I have no objection to you deleting all the irrelevant posts, even my lengthy angry rant at Gordon.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:21 am

Gordy wrote:Calzaghe was like Lewis and decided to retire at the top unbeaten. He had acheived his goals and he knew that beating Klitschko would not get much respect with true boxing fans because Klitschko is not a good champion. It was better for Calzaghe to be known as a great champion in his own division which was harder than to be known for beating a poor heavyweight in the worst ever hevyweight era. Only people who overrate Klitschko would think that. Maybe Calzaghe should have beaten him just to prove his point but I dont really think there was much point to it the same way Lewis could have kept fighting and being champion if he wanted to but his motivation was not there anymore.

So Calzaghe fought Jones Jr instead of either Klitschko because he beleived that it would be a harder fight and better for his legacy?

Does this mean that you think Roy Jones Jr would beat either Klitschko? Would love to see the odds for that fight.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

Spoiler:
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 16 Dec 2012, 8:53 pm

Gordy wrote:
bhb001 wrote:

Did you watch Lewis box?? One of his losses was in a fight where the ref would not let him continue even though he wanted to. He easily won the rematch so I dont count that as a loss because he would have won if the ref did his job right. His other loss was when he wasnt focused but again he easily won the rematch in frightning style so I dont think its a true loss in the sense that he wasnt beaten by a better fighter, he only lost because he wasnt focused and he showed what he was really about in the rematch. If Lewis fought like he did against Tyson then Ali is the only boxer in history that could beat him and it would be a close fight at that.

Manredo wanted to continue against calzaghe. As he is a boxer and the ref wasn't does that mean it shouldn't have been stopped either?

Anyways more importantly if Lewis wasn't prepared properly do you not think this is a major failure in his makeup?

This is what puts him behind a few others in the top ten heavyweights in history.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2