The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOD to play another season

+14
Portnoy's Complaint
George Carlin
thomh
Notch
fa0019
Intotouch
Feckless Rogue
EnglishReign
majesticimperialman
Pot Hale
HammerofThunor
GunsGerms
SecretFly
rodders
18 posters

Go down

BOD to play another season  Empty BOD to play another season

Post by rodders Tue 04 Dec 2012, 5:49 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12506/8307996/Brian-O-Driscoll-has-hinted-he-will-retire-in-2014-after-ruling-himself-out-of-the-Rugby-World-Cup

The 33-year-old Leinster centre has enjoyed a glittering career with club and country but his comments about the World Cup suggest he may hang up his boots at the end of the 2013/2014 season.

O'Driscoll was at the the RWC 2015 pool draw in London as Ireland were pitted against France and Italy but does not expect to play any part in the tournament.

"It's weird, coming in I was very relaxed, no pressure's on it because I don't for a second anticipate that I'll have any involvement (in the World Cup)," he told the Irish Independent.

"But something stirs you deep down. I think it's probably 18 months too far."

So it looks like the great man is planning to go on for another year at least.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by rodders on Wed 05 Dec 2012, 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sky misquote about Lions tour)
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

BOD to play another season  Empty Re: BOD to play another season

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Dec 2012, 5:56 pm

I'll save my thoughts for closer to his departure date. I don't like doing too many eulogies.... my pen was busted doing Shane's Wink

Seriously. A God in Irish rugby terms. Hopefully he chugs along at sub-God levels for the next few years and has some lovely cameos in certain games of worth or note. He doesn't really owe me a blessed thing anymore. Play on until he knows that's it. He's earned the right and he won't embarrass himself in the process.

Oops!!! I did a eulogy! Oh well, I'll prepare a better one for the final day.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:11 pm

I suppose the thing is fly is that a part of me thinks he should have bowed out close to the top after the 2011 RWC. He was 33 and it was a logical time to call it a day for Ireland at least, his body was busted then too.

But then I look at his main rivals in Ireland - Earls and Cave - and think that when fully fit BOD is still better than either.

Unfortunately the injuries just seem to be mounting now. He's still a class act when fit but it would be a sad sight if he didn't bow out in his own terms.

In terms of the Lions, its a strange coincidence that he and O'Connell have as much as ruled themselves out so early. I wonder has there been some contact behind the scenes with Gatland?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:19 pm

Stefan Terblanche is 37 and he still plays for Ulster. As long as you are good enough to get picked and enjoy it then why not.

Simon Shaw was almost 36 when he played for the lions.

Drico may still make it yet. It all depends on whether or not he is injured after the 6n.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:20 pm

Did I imagine it but were there a lot of calls that he had lost in late 2008 (before the GS)? I seem to remember people saying he should have lost the captaincy and focus of playing because he was at risk of losing his place (following a relatively poor return from injuries I think). If I didn't imagine this, and it was just the odd vocal poster not happy, then it's been a remarkable turnaround of his career back towards his highs.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:22 pm

rodders wrote:

So it looks like the great man is planning to go on for another year at least but has more or less ruled out his chances of a 4th Lions tour.

Any thoughts?

Rodders, he's ruled out the next World Cup. Somehow, I don't think the 2017 Lions tour, two years later, really comes into it.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:25 pm

Next years Lions tour is likely to be his swansong and probably a victorious swansong.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:26 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

So it looks like the great man is planning to go on for another year at least but has more or less ruled out his chances of a 4th Lions tour.

Any thoughts?

Rodders, he's ruled out the next World Cup. Somehow, I don't think the 2017 Lions tour, two years later, really comes into it.

Er I was referring to the 2013 Lions tour....sorry if that wasn't clear Erm
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:28 pm

I think he is doing the right thing to be honest. He has been a legend in the game not only for Irish Rugby.

He will be missed when it come to the 6ns etc etc.

But like they say there comes a time when you simply have too retire. whether you like the Idea or not.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:29 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Did I imagine it but were there a lot of calls that he had lost in late 2008 (before the GS)? I seem to remember people saying he should have lost the captaincy and focus of playing because he was at risk of losing his place (following a relatively poor return from injuries I think). If I didn't imagine this, and it was just the odd vocal poster not happy, then it's been a remarkable turnaround of his career back towards his highs.

No you didn't imagine it. A lot of people were saying he was shot in 2008 but he bounced back to have probably his best year in 2009.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm

Deserved a lions tour win and world cup. Great player, great man.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:44 pm

rodders wrote:I suppose the thing is fly is that a part of me thinks he should have bowed out close to the top after the 2011 RWC. He was 33 and it was a logical time to call it a day for Ireland at least, his body was busted then too.

But then I look at his main rivals in Ireland - Earls and Cave - and think that when fully fit BOD is still better than either.

Unfortunately the injuries just seem to be mounting now. He's still a class act when fit but it would be a sad sight if he didn't bow out in his own terms.

In terms of the Lions, its a strange coincidence that he and O'Connell have as much as ruled themselves out so early. I wonder has there been some contact behind the scenes with Gatland?

His body is busted. He knows it. I know it. I've disguised my perception of it as much as I can but I always see it and yep, it pains me to see it.

I'm a realist, I always knew he was on his very last couple of years. You begin to actually even 'feel' old as younger and younger players keep coming on, even though you're still at peak fitness - and he isn't.

I don't regret he didn't stop in his considered prime though..and I certainly think he's added real and present value to what Leinster were trying to do even at the beginning of this season when he was playing some exceptional stuff amidst the disaster of his greatly underperforming team mates. Nope, he should go when he (who probably has more instincts about the game, and his game) chooses to.

Often the case is that when he's on a team, people expect him to do more than his job. No, they should take more responsibility themselves. He still has a better brain than most of his colleagues - young or old - and that has value beyond his limited physical abilities at this stage. But his team mates should stop expecting the miracles from him and go do their work. Do it as well as he did in his prime and he'll be there helping them achieve results...but sit back and place undue pressure on his game both in attack and defense and that's just not on.

His time is closing - his brain is still useful. He'll give you your opening from nothing still but the obligation is then yours and your fellow young guns to make it count on the scoreboard.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 04 Dec 2012, 6:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:
I don't regret he didn't stop in his considered prime though..and I certainly think he's added real and present value to what Leinster were trying to do even at the beginning of this season when he was playing some exceptional stuff amidst the disaster of his greatly underperforming team mates. Nope, he should go when he (who probably has more instincts about the game, and his game) chooses to.

Ah no totally agree, he's been in fine form for Leinster and have no doubt that he could go another season or two at that level if injury free.

For Ireland though.. and the Lions... I wonder if he's already left it too late to go out with a bang rather than a whimper... maybe the rugby Gods will be kind and he'll grab another us another slam before the body gives way totally... Wink guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Dec 2012, 7:15 pm

Ireland........... yep, they should be seeing can they move on without him.

But let's see it in manifestation. If he's in the 6N and gets taken off, then it's really now up to his challengers not just to close out a game or "to do the basics" well. They have to go out and excel his performance if he performed well for him at his vintage. They have to prove they are not as good as him now but better than him now. He didn't "do the basics well" - that's not what Ireland need from any of our players - that's just coaching cliche bull if you ask me. They have to show a warrior's instinct for the unconventional. They have to prove that his time is up. And seriously, to date, that really hasn't even been close to happening. Less basics and fundamentals and more erratic invention to break through the impossible barricades.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:10 pm

As long as I've watched rugby, supported Ireland and supported Leinster and even the Lions, there's always been O'Driscoll in my team. And he's been the difference between winning and losing so many times it's actually crazy.

It's going to be weird when he's gone. I've literally never supported a team that he isn't in.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:11 pm

God I feel so sad reading this. I hope he does listen to his body though and stop as soon as he needs to. Keith Wood played through an ankle injury in his last world cup and wrecked himself doing so. O'Reilly got smashed to bits in his last match for Ireland. We put too much pressure on our great players to hang on in there until they're carried off in pieces. I don't want that to happen to him.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:38 pm

BOD is a winner and won't want to be part of the dirt tracker tour.

He's on his way back from injury and to make matters worse he has a man mountain in tuilagi standing in his way to the test spot. When you see how he dominated the AB midfield it's a sober reality check for anyone.

Irish rugby will certainly miss him, players like him don't come round too often... It seems a lifetime ago watching him burst the line for his try in the lions test in 01.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:21 am

rodders wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

Any thoughts?

Er no it wasn't. In which case, you've been led up the garden path by the Sky report.

If O'Driscoll is "planning to go on for another year at least", which would be after the 2013 Lions tour, how have you arrived at the conclusion that he's more or less ruled out his chances of going on it? The RWC 2015 kicks off in Sept 2015. Eighteen months back from that would be Mar 2014.

I suspect that you're relying on the veracity of the Sky article accompanying the video. But if you listen to the video, he doesn't say any such thing. He says it's an ambition of his (to go on Lions tour), wants to be picked, get on the plane and have a successful series. But there's a lot of rugby to be played between now and then. Sky didn't read the report in the Irish Independent correctly on which they based their report. They mixed up his responses to going to RWC 2015 and going on the Lions tour. Admittedly, the writing/editing of the Indo report doesn't help. Here's the relevant excerpt, with the half-nicked quote used by Sky who arrived at the wrong conclusion:

"......I don't for a second anticipate that I'll have any involvement (in the World Cup). "But something stirs you deep down. I think it's probably 18 months too far."
The Ireland captain, who confirmed that he is on schedule to be back playing for Leinster in the new year and will play in next year's Six Nations championship, did say that he will be in England for the tournament as Ireland's "No 1 supporter". His comments will now inevitably lead to increased speculation that he will call time on his glittering playing career after the Lions tour to Australia next summer.

"I think it's fair to say I'm not going to make it. (to the RWC) If I did, I'd be as shocked as you would be, so it's best if I just say, no, it's highly unlikely," said O'Driscoll.
Emboldened text is mine.

Have a read of this article on the Lions site: http://www.lionsrugby.com/news/12296.php which puts the relevant quotes in context.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:30 am

I'm glad in many ways. I feel like hearing this he's not going to allow himself to get sucked into a Ronan O'Gara situation where he's lost it but is still picked for his name. He deserves to go out better than that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:37 am

Notch wrote:I'm glad in many ways. I feel like hearing this he's not going to allow himself to get sucked into a Ronan O'Gara situation where he's lost it but is still picked for his name. He deserves to go out better than that.

Glad about what?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed 05 Dec 2012, 1:12 am

Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

Any thoughts?

Er no it wasn't. In which case, you've been led up the garden path by the Sky report.

I agree the article is misleading, but given the title of this thread, and the fact that O'Driscoll has been on three tours, I would say it was pretty obvious that rodders was talking about 2013.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 05 Dec 2012, 3:12 am

thomh wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

Any thoughts?

I agree the article is misleading, but given the title of this thread, and the fact that O'Driscoll has been on three tours, I would say it was pretty obvious that rodders was talking about 2013.

Whatever. I wasnt sure if he was discounting the NZ tour since it lasted 5 minutes. That's irrelevant really to the central point. The title states O'Driscoll wont make next Lions tour. It's based on flawed information.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Dec 2012, 7:42 am

BOD will play for Ireland as long as his partially fit self is a better bet than a fully fit alternative - which currently is the case. He speed or desire for contact would have to be very badly affected for this to be the case.

I think with the Lions he is just being as modest as he usually is whilst easing the pressure on Gatland for potentially not choosing him. The interesting point is going to come if BOD believes that he'll get on the plane but not get into the test XXIII. As has been said above, I think he'd rule himself out from contention at all rather than be a water boy/dirttracker.

And I don't mean that in a princessy way at all.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Dec 2012, 9:17 am

thomh wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

Any thoughts?

I was, I mean if he has said that the RWC is 18 months too far then why would anyone think he was referring to the 2017 tour?

If I have been mislead by the Sky article then apologies but to me it is pretty obvious that it is next summers tour that he is referring too (based in the original article).

I'll cross check the reports and update the OP if necessary.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Dec 2012, 9:25 am

OK OP updated. Sorry folks, looks like sky got it slightly wrong about the Lions and the great man is still in the mix.

Cheers Pot.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Dec 2012, 9:25 am

I guess the question is whether he'll go to a S15 franchise for a big pay day.

A certain former Leinster coach has already expressed an interest in this.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 05 Dec 2012, 9:40 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Notch wrote:I'm glad in many ways. I feel like hearing this he's not going to allow himself to get sucked into a Ronan O'Gara situation where he's lost it but is still picked for his name. He deserves to go out better than that.

Glad about what?

Glad he is going to retire within the next few years.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:07 am

George Carlin wrote:I guess the question is whether he'll go to a S15 franchise for a big pay day.

A certain former Leinster coach has already expressed an interest in this.

I don't think BOD would jeopardise that big Tax rebate he is due....as much as he'd like to give it a lash in a warmer climate (which would be good for the auld bones and joints I'm sure) I just think that ship has sailed. He'll finish his career at Leinster now I'm sure.... I just hope its on his own terms and he can finish on a high.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:38 am

Just so long as BOD is treated on merit and not on reputation then I'd suggest that a Lions place is perfectly reasonable. Probably even Lions skipper is fine but as I've said before, as Tour captain rather than guaranteed Test captain.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:47 am

That should extend to any player GT, goes without saying.

Sir Clive showed in 2005 what happens if you select guys on past glories rather than recent form. No one wants to see that again! censored

If BOD plays like he did pre injury then he is worth contention, given the lack of outstanding midfielders outside of Tuilagi and Davies, both of whom are similar(ish)... if he recovers from injury and gets back to how he was playing then he wouldn't be a sympathy pick for me but a real test contender.

Same with O'Connell but at this stage I would be wondering if they would be too much of an injury risk, even if they recovered...a bit like Dayglo and Wilkinson etc. in 2005.

Simon Shaw showed that it is possible though for the elder gentleman to have a big impact..... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:50 am

Has Lewis offered to host his benefit game at the Millenium?

Id be very surprissed if he doesnt tour with the Lions, if hes fit. But that would be the time to cut his international career.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Dec 2012, 11:00 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Has Lewis offered to host his benefit game at the Millenium?

Id be very surprissed if he doesnt tour with the Lions, if hes fit. But that would be the time to cut his international career.

I would be shocked if he doesnt go on the Lions tour. Maybe Tuilagi is knocking on the door as test starter but really he is still up there with the best 13s in the NH so why not.

This is how its going to pan out. Drico or Tuilagi will line out in test one and two for the Lions. By the end of test two the lions will have wrapped up the series win and test three will be drico's international testamonial on the highest stage of all. Mid way through the third test Drico will line up Horwell for a bone crunching tackle and they will both be strechered off. Fitting end to an incredible once every 100 years player.

All the plaudits will be bestowed on the great man. Who knows Umaga may even pick up the phone.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:15 pm

If all contenders for the 13 jersey are fit and well I think you would have to conclude that Tuilagi is at the head of the queue. It would be a close call between BOD and JD2 if Tuilagi was out of the picture.
If O'Driscoll makes it on to the starting Lions team, I think it would be at 12, in a slight tweak to the role he played in 2009 where he brought the best out of Roberts. Imagine the devastation Tuilagi could wreak with BOD creating space for him.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

Submachine wrote:If all contenders for the 13 jersey are fit and well I think you would have to conclude that Tuilagi is at the head of the queue. It would be a close call between BOD and JD2 if Tuilagi was out of the picture.
If O'Driscoll makes it on to the starting Lions team, I think it would be at 12, in a slight tweak to the role he played in 2009 where he brought the best out of Roberts. Imagine the devastation Tuilagi could wreak with BOD creating space for him.

I totally agree with that and was thinking the same recently. On current form Tuilagi would start for sure but that wouldn't necessarily rule BOD out as Davies, Barritt or Roberts many not be the best foil. BOD could well prove to be a Conrad Smith to Tuilagis Nonu.... there's a lot of rugby to be played between now and then though and BOD needs to get himself fit and back in the frame.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:34 pm

I think he should announce his intention to retire from International Rugby following the Lions Tour next year.

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Dec 2012, 4:10 pm

I think we should let him decide his own fate. And then let Schmidt and Kidney decide their own teams (with O'Driscoll not necessarily part of them if judged to be not up to it).

But the same gets said of O'Gara. "Retire O'Gara! And give someone else a bloody chance". I say the coach is the 'chance' giver - he's responsible for whoever walks onto the field not the player.

O'Driscoll will know...and right down to the last day, I'm with him on it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:15 pm

But ROG did retire from International rugby but then IRFU wouldn't let him...... or was he just trying to get Sexton dropped...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

IRFU wouldn't let him because Kidney threatened to stay on until 2020 (immovable clause in his tiny print contract) unless he had his comfy blanket sitting on the bench......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 06 Dec 2012, 1:15 am

So BOD is retiring after Christmas then.

And returning for the Lions tour in 2017.

Glad that's settled then.

These media journos on 606V2 can get so excitable at times. They lose all sense of perspective and logic.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 06 Dec 2012, 12:39 pm

Bod will know when it's time. He's an intelligent man and won't want to simply fade into retirement producing ever poorer performances. If he's upto it he will get selected, if he's good with that he'll play his heart out as ever. Legend.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Dec 2012, 1:15 pm

Pot Hale wrote:So BOD is retiring after Christmas then.

Waiting till after his sons birthday

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 06 Dec 2012, 1:19 pm

Peter's on form this morning!...em afternoon (was never too good at clock watching.)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 07 Dec 2012, 2:57 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:So BOD is retiring after Christmas then.

Waiting till after his sons birthday

How very reverent of you.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down