The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I know the circumstances are different but...

+2
boomdangle
talkingpoint
6 posters

Go down

I know the circumstances are different but... Empty I know the circumstances are different but...

Post by talkingpoint Wed 05 Dec 2012, 4:20 pm

I know they're two different sports and two different people but I can't help but be nervous for BJ Penn on Saturday against Rory MacDonald that he's going to end up doing a Ricky Hatton!? Hatton lost his 'comeback' fight and immediately announced his official retirement, again. Will BJ Penn face the same fate? Are we going to see a much younger, ambitious and talented MacDonald deliver another defeat to Penn like he suffered against Nick Diaz earlier in February? Penn was outboxed and physically beaten by Diaz. All credit to Penn he kept going despite the punishment he was taking but at the end of the day it takes more than spirit to win a fight. MacDonald has been heralded as a future welterweight champion at some point and an impressive win over Penn could really see him launched into title contention, despite the fact that Penn is coming out of 'retirement'. BJ Penn is still a huge name in MMA.

On the other hand, has Penn got the fire back that he was lacking toward the end of his first run in the UFC? Would the embarrassment of losing to MacDonald or the pressure to beat a man in the ascension of his career help Penn to give him the motivation he needs to make sure his game is as sharp as it can be? Is MacDonald the perfect comeback fight for him?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

I know the circumstances are different but... Empty Re: I know the circumstances are different but...

Post by boomdangle Thu 06 Dec 2012, 8:51 am

have never liked Penn i hope Rory smashes him into retirement for good

The sport and its competitors have evolved, and lets be honest BJ never seemed fully motivated and came across as arrogant so would love for rory to destroy him

Not every fighter can be a super human like randy couture sometimes when its time its just best to step down, like chuck, rick hatton and now tito
we are coming to a period where we see our fav fighters start to reach the decent of there careers Rampage, Franklin and Hughes i thought he was epic but seeing him come back and try to impose his now outdated style i just feel sorry for him and wish he had stayed gone.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

I know the circumstances are different but... Empty Re: I know the circumstances are different but...

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

Penn is to tubby to compete at 170. Lack of dedications an got wht he deserved.

One thing I have noticed is the poor condition of a lot of MMA fighters when compared to their boxing counterparts... Penn gassed after 3 minutes, Carwin after 2 in a title fight. Is cardio work something they neglect?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Mon 10 Dec 2012, 1:14 pm

I don't know if Penn was tubby so much as completely over matched. The cutting of weight for bouts needs to be looked at because Rory MacDonald looked closer to 185lbs than 170lbs. I know its always been the case in combat sports but its getting a bit ridiculous.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 10 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

Penn looked like a boy facing a man, the size difference was ridiculous. Thought Rory's showboating in the third round was a little disrespectful, especially since he could have finished Penn but didn't. Not sure why he chose to take his finger off the trigger, Penn would have gone - TKO easily, Rory nearly had him beat in the 2nd, Herb Dean almost jumped in.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:53 am

only just seen this now, but yeah i didnt give bj a chance going into the fight. we all know that li8ghtweight was where he should have been fighting but he didnt have the deication to cut down anymore. the gsp fight showed how he would just get man handled by bigger men

i had rory to stop him in the second, needless to say i was dissapointed the ref didnt jump in

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:12 am

Herb was a nanosecond away from making the call but I think he made the right decision.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:49 am

talkingpoint wrote:Herb was a nanosecond away from making the call but I think he made the right decision.

obviously i was biased, but i thought he should have jumped in just to save bj getting more of a beating, as i couldnt see anyway how he was coming back into it. third round wasnt as much of a beating though, but wouldnt like to see too many fighters taking the punishment he did. curse of having a great chin is that you take more punishment in the long run

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm

id say hes more in danger of becoming a Tito Ortiz or Saku.....legend of his time who keeps getting trotted out for big pay days and embaressed by all comers.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:28 pm

well BJ really doesn't have many options left for him - too small for welterweight, too old skool for the new generation of fighters to cause them problems and his conditioning just isn't up to par to go the distance, especially not the championship rounds. I think BJ should retire and let it be - he can get into coaching or punditry or something if he really wants. There are more things left to do in the MMA world but just not inside the Octagon anymore.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum