The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quade Cooper set to stay in Australian rugby

+3
thebluesmancometh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
7 posters

Go down

Quade Cooper set to stay in Australian rugby Empty Quade Cooper set to stay in Australian rugby

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:08 am

Some good (probably Headscratch ) news for Australia.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/8047252/Quade-Cooper-set-to-stay-with-ARU

Quade Cooper is set to announce on Friday that he is staying in Australian rugby union after accepting a revised two-year deal from the ARU.

The deal is believed to be similar to the A$800,000 offer the ARU took off the table following his public criticism of the game and the atmosphere in the Wallabies camp.

Cooper was hit with a record A$40,000 for the comments and virtually forced out of the code in Australia after being offered an ARU contract comprising of match payments and a A$100,000 bonus if he was to start in 60 per cent of Tests for the Wallabies next season.

He had already agreed to a three-year deal with Queensland, worth about $400,000 per season, but the Reds contract could not be activated unless he accepted the ARU offer and had been set to quit Australian rugby union.

However, QRU chairman Jim Carmichael has worked closely with his ARU counterpart Michael Hawker to prepare a deal acceptable for Cooper to stay and the 23-year-old playmaker is understood to have rejected a lucrative offer from France

$AU800,000 a season is mental money though, it's about £520,000 - even though I presume that includes the $400,000 from Queensland. By way of contrast, it's around $200,000 more than the NZRU pays Carter or McCaw.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Quade Cooper set to stay in Australian rugby Empty Re: Quade Cooper set to stay in Australian rugby

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:12 am

Jeepers. Maybe they think they can save money by sacking Deans and getting Cooper to do his job via twitter?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Quade Cooper set to stay in Australian rugby Empty Re: Quade Cooper set to stay in Australian rugby

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

There really should be a musical called Quade, he really is a plank of a human being and what does he get in return?? Loaded!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 06 Dec 2012, 12:04 pm

ARU seems to be throwing money round like confetti, seemingly at the wrong things. The league guys we had, Lote, Wendell, Matty, plus heaps of others I'm not going to name, really only Lote was any good in union. The money could have been spent at making the game more attractive at grass roots and encouraging more school kids to play union rather than higher profile league or rules.

But hell, QC is always good for the unexpected... real hot and cold player, not quite as good as Campo in his prime, but able to conjur up moments of magic, so good luck to him.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 06 Dec 2012, 1:21 pm

Mental!

To go from almost sacking the guy to paying him 800k is just bonkers, Cooper must have a Frak amazing agent!!

I bet the rest of the Wallabies camp must be really pleased to see what he's getting paid...

Is he even fit and ready to play next season?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Dec 2012, 1:55 pm

yappysnap wrote:Mental!

To go from almost sacking the guy to paying him 800k is just bonkers, Cooper must have a Frak amazing agent!!

I bet the rest of the Wallabies camp must be really pleased to see what he's getting paid...

Is he even fit and ready to play next season?

From memories he's back in training now.

His agent is Khoder Nasser, who's also Money Bill Williams' agent Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 06 Dec 2012, 2:15 pm

The man is a magician Wink Just think with the cut he's taking from those two alone I bet he's laughing all the way to the bank. And he's never had to tackle someone in his life!

Where did Oz find that money then? I thought that they were in serious trouble, hence letting guys like Giteau and that 9 I've forgotten go...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:08 pm

What a waste of money. We all know he has looked sublime on occasions for the Reds especially the season before last when they won the title and he was especially good in the semi final win v the Blues (I think it was).

However, at international level he has never really looked great IMO. His trickery rarely works and his D and goal kicking are way off what is required of a top class 10. On top of all that he is a head case, getting in trouble with the law, declaring on two occasions via twitter he wont play for Australia anymore and criticising management publicly.

Holding the union to ransom isnt something I had expected the ARU to respond to at all given their tough stance on trouble makers in the past. Very strange this.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:19 pm

I might have made a massive mistake by tweeting him? I hear he can be quite caustic... Wink

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:23 pm

nickj wrote:I might have made a massive mistake by tweeting him? I hear he can be quite caustic... Wink

He can. He will tell you exactly where to go if he responds.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:23 pm

I guess Gloucester garunteeing him the 12 shirt just wasnt enough of a draw

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:24 pm

That was kinda the plan...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:26 pm

yappysnap wrote:The man is a magician Wink Just think with the cut he's taking from those two alone I bet he's laughing all the way to the bank. And he's never had to tackle someone in his life!

Where did Oz find that money then? I thought that they were in serious trouble, hence letting guys like Giteau and that 9 I've forgotten go...

Who is the 9? Luke Burgess? Think he just went to Toulouse rather than being let go? No?

ARU have also cut ties with Wendell Sailor and Lote Tiquiri in the past for indescretions.

Not sure why QC is an exception. Ive no doubt this is his last chance saloon.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 06 Dec 2012, 4:05 pm

Well there was also Sam Cordingly and Chris Whitaker as scrum halves, also Giteau also played 6 games as the number 9.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down