The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal missing AO'13, now not coming back until MC'13?

+18
Born Slippy
summerblues
Jeremy_Kyle
banbrotam
Josiah Maiestas
Mad for Chelsea
hawkeye
YvonneT
invisiblecoolers
JuliusHMarx
User 774433
LuvSports!
barrystar
bogbrush
Haddie-nuff
time please
Silver
lydian
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nadal missing AO'13, now not coming back until MC'13? - Page 2 Empty Nadal missing AO'13, now not coming back until MC'13?

Post by lydian Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

First topic message reminder :

...or maybe the South American swing in late February before that (Acapulco 500 from Feb 25th which he said he was going to play...)
It was only 2 days ago he was saying he looks forward to coming back but doesnt expect to win AO13, now he says he's not even going to enter it...what's changed?
Being realistic about coming back on HC not being the best idea to test his knee....if thats the case I'm all in support of him returning back on clay.
Either way, this is becoming a huge amount of time out of the tour...it'll be 3 majors missed (if the Wimb loss is attributed to him not being right)...plus he'll be missing IW and Miami HC Masters.
Wonder what his ranking would be if he missed everything until MC....he'd have 4500-ish pts I guess (1000+1000+500+2000+Madrid)...that would still keep him top 6.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/tennis/rafael-nadal-says-he-is-unlikely-to-make-australian-open-return_752697.html

But is this even true, there seem to be conflicting reports circulating around...is he or isnt he...you never quite know with Team Nadal!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Nadal missing AO'13, now not coming back until MC'13? - Page 2 Empty Re: Nadal missing AO'13, now not coming back until MC'13?

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 06 Dec 2012, 6:08 pm

That is a million miles away from what I was saying Haddie and I suspect you know it! Of course we need umpires/referees but the onus still falls on the players.

-------------------

It may be a few but not a million lol. But hey are you not expecting too much from any sportsman.. do you really believe that the onus of FAIR PLAY is entirely on the shoulders of what ever sportsman chooses to exploit the rules. ??
Because I dont.. Umpires, Referees and those who are there to enforce the rules within that sport have equal responsibility. AND if ANY sportsperson is in continual breach of those rules they should be penalised, disqualified or banned.

I cant help but have a rye smile when I think of Johnny Mac, Jimmy Connors, Nastase and the like... gamesmanship ????? they wouldn´t even know how to spell it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Nadal missing AO'13, now not coming back until MC'13? - Page 2 Empty Re: Nadal missing AO'13, now not coming back until MC'13?

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 06 Dec 2012, 6:35 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/908424-13-nastiest-on-court-spats-in-tennis-history-video#/articles/908424-13-nastiest-on-court-spats-in-tennis-history-video/page/12

Now THIS is what you call Gamesmanship !!!! (page 12) laughing

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:That is a million miles away from what I was saying Haddie and I suspect you know it! Of course we need umpires/referees but the onus still falls on the players.

-------------------

It may be a few but not a million lol. But hey are you not expecting too much from any sportsman.. do you really believe that the onus of FAIR PLAY is entirely on the shoulders of what ever sportsman chooses to exploit the rules. ??
Because I dont.. Umpires, Referees and those who are there to enforce the rules within that sport have equal responsibility. AND if ANY sportsperson is in continual breach of those rules they should be penalised, disqualified or banned.

I cant help but have a rye smile when I think of Johnny Mac, Jimmy Connors, Nastase and the like... gamesmanship ????? they wouldn´t even know how to spell it.

Hey Haddie - yes I do believe the onus is on the players, as it is on all of us to conduct ourselves within the rules/laws of game/life and the onus to enforce the rules is on the umpire.

Of course I am realistic and expect sportsmen to try and steal an advantage sometimes not within the rules or the spirit of the game, but I don't believe anyone but themselves should be censured for doing so.

lol yes the gamesmanship of the past was far more entertaining - but they were honest rogues in that they weren't actually pretending to be anything else. I think the biggest issue some people have with Nadal's gamesmanship is not only that it is happening, but that he has been lauded for his 'sportsmanship' in fact held up as a shining example of how a true sportsman should behave and his critics feel that if he didn't simper so prettily in the press room, he might be judged, as his peers are, on how he is actually behaving. In other words, if he behaved like Connors I might admire his sincerity more and find the antics a bit more entertaining. If I can digress Wink sometimes listening to Nadal fans (you and Lydian honorably excepted Very Happy ) is like listening to my husband talking about my mother-in-law. She says she never complains, and then proceeds to whinge (without pause for breath) for the next couple of hours while I am trapped with no room for escape. What my husband hears (on his way out to tackle some long forgotten job) is 'I never complain' and that is what he remembers and tells me 'my mother doesn't like to complain' - pppppfffttt as hawkeye might say!!!Wink

Anyway - great thread going off in two directions. We are starved for news. I do understand that you Nadal fans probably do get a little fed up with a board largely more pro Fed, talking about the same old, same old, but I suspect it was ever thus with tennis players it just was in pubs not over the internet. There is only so much about one game that can be discussed with we armchair critics and the top guys will, inevitably, attract the most comment.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 06 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

Haddie and me where disucssing this on the other thread, its really wise for Rafa to come back on the clay circuit, the max I expect for Rafa is AO quarters, more than any damage to his knees a bad AO will demoralize his confidence of a strong comeback, a few bad losses before the clay season gonna hurt his confidence and ego badly.

It might be a rumor now but I guess Rafa would be sensible enough to make a comeback on clay circuit, I won't be surprised if he doesn't play AO.

@Lyd its a real bad statement to say he missed 3 slams counting Wim defeat, in Wim Defeat he was throughly outplayed by man on form on the given day, I don't think so Rafa could have done anything different that day to alter the result.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Thu 06 Dec 2012, 8:51 pm

Do people really think Nadal has OCD? I've seen this quoted before and while he may display OCD-ish tendencies like wanting things ordered in a particular way and liking to follow routines, I don't think he is actually suffering from a mental disorder which is what real OCD is. If he really had OCD, it would be a very cruel family who would lead him into a career as a professional tennis player in my opinion. The constant change of environment & routine would be a cause of major anxiety - the arranging of water bottles would hardly alleviate that. Maybe he does suffer real anxiety & that could be an alternative theory behind his current absence from the tour.

I'm not raising this in relation to his on-court behaviour. I'd rather he played a bit quicker & I think behaviour like getting his strapping done before starting play is letting himself down, but it hardly gets my blood boiling and I don't think he's significantly worse than all other players.

On whether he'll play the AO or not, like a few here, I'm rather bored with the "will he, won't he" stuff. I'm sure I saw a confirmation from Abu Dhabi that he'd definitely be there - if he's not, it would seem that the commercial pressure to promote tournaments (& Nadal himself) is outweighing the truth about the actual likelihood of playing, which would seem rather poor to me.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:09 pm

Yep I suppose you would think that way and who can really blame you but for me when you live among the Spaniards its a part of life. That IS how they are frustrating I know but you are never going to change their mindset ... as my Spanish teach said when I queried something about the Spanish Language

"It is just the way it is" there answer to everything

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:10 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Btw, before anyone gets angry... I am not saying the rules should not be enforced on Nadal.
Read my post at 5:07 PM OK

Exactly and neither am I BUT NOT JUST NADAL... why is no one saying Djokovic cheats .. I counted 21 bounces of the ball when he has played... Delpo who ambles around the back of the court as though he has all day... and please time Murray the next time he plays ANSWER THIS PLEASE.... why are Nadal´s oponents not complaining to the officials... ???? I would suggest that they are not so bothered about it as some posters are.

I never said Djoko has perfect gamesmanship, he has been bouncing balls more than 21 times during his serve, there was one time I couldn't believe my eyes, he bounced the ball more than 25 times and withdrew from serving citing Wind reasons. I don't like his over reacting celebrations either even if it comes under a ranked underdog.

Just can't wait for his days at the top be numbered by Murray, and Murray doing a similar celebration over Djoko's win in upcoming GSlams, I wish Murray beat the hell out of Djoko in AO 2013 finals and celebrate it wild Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

Yvonne interesting post OK
When you say 'real OCD' Im not sure what you mean.
Remember OCD can go from mild to severe.

I've been doing a lot of research, and the evidence seems very clear. I have a friend with OCD, and have read up on it.
Will post an article on it in due course, maybe in the 'general discussion' section if 606v2, (or maybe tennis section?) as Nadal will be used as an example of it.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

I think if a player had OCD he would make sure a necessary procedure like taping knees was done way before players called onto court. In fact delaying doing so would cause unnecessary anxiety in case he didn't have time to do so perfectly. Presenters have called it OCD humorously Rolling Eyes

It is just good old fashioned superstition and I think you would be amazed at how many sportspeople from all disciplines follow the same routine slavishly on the day of competition - it's just that Nadal's tics are very noticeable and big.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

It's not humorous, it's a real mental syndrome.
Which commentators were being humorous about it?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

Fleming, McEnroe, Becker and probably others have all joked about Nadal's routines being a bit compulsive - I don't think anyone has suggested he has a 'disability' in this area until you!!!!

Obviously Djokovic has the same syndrome bouncing the play dozens of time before serves, and Fed too with the flick the hair left then right before getting ready to receive.

In fact they are all certifiable Rolling Eyes

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:01 pm

There is habit, superstition and then there is OCD. I doubt that Rafa has OCD - if he does it would be a very mild form. It's one of the things I was very interested in way back during my degree course (psychology) and I remember much of it surprisingly well, considering there are other parts I have virtually no recollection of (not due to excessive alcohol consumption, I hasten to add).
It's very debatable that what we see with Rafa could be termed OCD. If it was, he'd be a fool not to get it treated. Of course, there may be other stuff we don't see.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm

Without commenting on the commentators, people often refer to OCD humorously - referring to milder obsessive behaviour, a fixation with particular details or routines, a liking for things in life to be ordered.

Sure, these things come on a spectrum but someone who suffers from what I referred to as real OCD is just that - actually suffering. They have real & sustained anxiety. I just don't see that with Nadal, but, IMBL, you are obviously a fan so may have more insight to his life behind the courts & interview rooms than I do. It would still be a surprising career path to me for someone suffering with OCD.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:11 pm

This place was dead until a thread started where the usual accusations of Nadal is a cheat/has a mental disability/speaks a foreign language/will retire soon/should only play insignificant tournaments/is boring to watch/and most important of all is not as sweet smelling to some as Roger could be thrown about Rolling Eyes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:15 pm

Perhaps it is time for another of your Murray articles hawkeye? she asks innocently and very sweetly Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:17 pm

Oh and no way does Nadal suffer from OCD! He does have some brilliant strategies for remaining focused and withstanding pressure that has helped him become one of the best players ever... Tennis is not just about forehands and backhands. Mental strategy at the very top is what makes the difference.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:26 pm

time please wrote:I don't think anyone has suggested he has a 'disability' in this area until you!!!!
Yes, people have. You'll see when I release an article on this, I've also found an article about Nadal from a professional who's expertise are in OCD study. My friend has OCD too, so personally I can compare. You'll have to wait for the article I guess.

time please wrote:
In fact they are all certifiable Rolling Eyes
No. They aren't.

Btw stop using the 'roll' smiley face practically everytime.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:31 pm

Can't stop sorry, I'm in a rolly eyed compulsive sort of mood today and I thought that the emoticons were there precisely so we could express ourselves as eloquently as poss? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sorry amritia, also in very childish mood!!! Rolling Eyes

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:33 pm

lol ok mo1

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:37 pm

time please

I would just like to request that when you use the eye roll emoticon you limit it to a single graphic. All those eyes rolling in unison makes me feel a little dizzy. Please? Thank you...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:46 pm

I'm sorry hawkeye - repetition can be ghastly can't it?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:01 pm

tp i would like you to refrain from doing 1 and do 13 please Smile
keep up the good work thumbsup

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm

I'd make myself dizzy LS! Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:30 am

you know it's the off-season when people start debating Rafa and the 25 second rule. Very Happy

Seriously, I think a difference needs to be made between gamesmanship and rule-breaking. I don't mind the gamesmanship so much, as long as it doesn't get personal. Rule-breaking is another thing entirely, and shouldn't be brushed off so easily, nor do I buy the "it's up to the Umpire to enforce the rules". While this is correct, it doesn't excuse the rule-breaking, which is obviously wrong. Haddie mentions football, but we all castigate players when they dive to win free-kicks don't we?

Loved Haddie's video by the way, though the writer is quite wrong on the Nadal-Berdych case: you can clearly see Nadal raising his arm to challenge before the call is (wrongly) made: the fact he returned the ball is then irrelevant, as challenging a correct call immediately loses you the point.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:16 am

You can always tell when something is indefensible; supporters begin claiming everyone is the same, so their favoured one is given cover. There are two outstanding offenders on the time issue at the top of the game; Nadal and Djokovic.

Nadal doesn't have OCD imo, he may have superstitions or he may have delaying tactics, calling OCD is the same stunt as claiming a naughty kid have ADHD when actually they're just an ignorant brat.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

Could you imagine Nadal trying to sell a boxing match??

"Maybe I have chance if he tired no? Maybe I am not ready to fight him. I am humble is good, no?"

Bore off

Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:52 am

All those eyes rolling in unison makes me feel a little dizzy. Please? Thank you...
Lord have mercy on this one.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:42 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Nadal has OCD. It's an officially recognised disability.

Though he has never had an 'official' diagnosis.

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

Back to the article

For me Nadal's injury was far more serious than first thought and hence is taking far longer to get over than first thought

I will be amazed if he is able to consitently beat Fed and Nole on clay

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

I don't think Rafas been playing at the level of 2007-10 (exc 9) anyway. You watch any of his play from there and it's far more powerful and aggressive than 2011/12.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:27 pm

O come on lets be honest... if it wasnt over the time issue., OCD or no OCD,
Rafa a cheat/not a cheat. PEDS or Dodgy knees.. what would you have to say about the man. ??? There´s not a post on here claiming to have missed his tennis, any word of sympathy or empathy that he has had 6mths away from the courts. The difficulties he surely now must have to face. And that too is indefensible Nadal must have a hide like a rhino. The "favoured one" given cover can only be Nadal so why not say it.
If Nadal retired tomorrow ..it changes nothing because there are still players out there who are guilty of gamesmanship. Some less obvious than others

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:32 pm

bogbrush wrote:You can always tell when something is indefensible; supporters begin claiming everyone is the same, so their favoured one is given cover. There are two outstanding offenders on the time issue at the top of the game; Nadal and Djokovic.
Yes, also Del Potro and Murray as well.

Anyway it's irrelevant as two wrongs don't make a right, even if many people do it the blame still lies with them.

bogbrush wrote:
Nadal doesn't have OCD imo.
I will present my research in due course.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Could you imagine Nadal trying to sell a boxing match??

"Maybe I have chance if he tired no? Maybe I am not ready to fight him. I am humble is good, no?"

Laugh

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:

Well no doctor from team Nadal has ever come out and released this. But let's be honest, irrelevant of whether he had OCD, there's hardly any chance this would happen anyway.
Rafa himself has manage to cleverly dodge this question so far, but Toni has given strong indications that suggest this is the case. Also I've found research from a doctor who has expertise specifically in this, who has analysed Rafa. You'll have to wait for the article I suppose.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm

banbrotam wrote:Back to the article

For me Nadal's injury was far more serious than first thought and hence is taking far longer to get over than first thought

I will be amazed if he is able to consitently beat Fed and Nole on clay
We'll have to wait and see.

No one really knows I suppose, it depends on his level. At his best he's pretty damn hard to beat on any surface.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:O come on lets be honest... if it wasnt over the time issue., OCD or no OCD,
Rafa a cheat/not a cheat. PEDS or Dodgy knees.. what would you have to say about the man. ??? There´s not a post on here claiming to have missed his tennis, any word of sympathy or empathy that he has had 6mths away from the courts. The difficulties he surely now must have to face. And that too is indefensible Nadal must have a hide like a rhino. The "favoured one" given cover can only be Nadal so why not say it.
If Nadal retired tomorrow ..it changes nothing because there are still players out there who are guilty of gamesmanship. Some less obvious than others
Parera= J*****
Laverfan can find the answer to that.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:54 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

Well no doctor from team Nadal has ever come out and released this. But let's be honest, irrelevant of whether he had OCD, there's hardly any chance this would happen anyway.
Rafa himself has manage to cleverly dodge this question so far, but Toni has given strong indications that suggest this is the case. Also I've found research from a doctor who has expertise specifically in this, who has analysed Rafa. You'll have to wait for the article I suppose.

Which then opens the doors to those who have accused him of doping. It is a double edged sword. I personally dismiss both he doesn't have OCD and that he doesn't dope.

On the wider scales of things, I am surprised most are still more concerned with things he does wrong than the implications of him missing the AO and what this could do for the tennis landscape in general.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:23 pm

LK clap

Once again I agree.. when discussion takes place and the name Nadal is mentioned its negative negative negative. Albeit I am a fan but I believe most sincerely that the tennis world and the APT and certainly some of his peers have missed Rafa during this last 6 mths. He contributes much to the world of tennis but all his detractors can do is point out every fault the poor man has.
No he is not perfect and I dont believe he ever professed to be. He is a tennis player and a human being though some would lose sight of the latter.

OCD??? Im not so sure of that is a tic OCD ?? I dont know. But watch Rafa training and there is no sign whatsoever of the pant picking. !! Personally I believe he sufferes badly with nerves. And whatever his first competitive match is on his return I think his nerves will be there for all to see. That is why I sincerely hope he does not play the AO. I dont think mentally he is up for it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Dec 2012, 2:00 pm

Thanks HN.

I take the view that his court behaviour and mannerisms are not a reflection of the person off court. Like Murray. Sour-faced git on court and yet off it he can have laugh and him and his team play pranks. I even recall Rafa playing a prank on Andy.

For me trying to prove a 'disability' is every bit of speculative than the doping he is accused of. So much depends on what happens off court and no-one on this forum or any other can prove otherwise.

For me if Rafa is infact missing the AO, then jeez Ferrer must be fancying a crack at the number 4 ranking. Recently voted Spanish player of the year and if Nadal falls down to 5, that would be his lowest ranking in 7 years! That is a massive change in tennis in general when one of the most prolific players of this generation could be starting on a downwards decline. I hope that isn't the case, but the longer he stays off, the harder it will be for him to comeback.

Can we not look at the permitations of the tennis world and what opportunities this opens for other players instead of the tireless time wasting bashing debate that drags on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Dec 2012, 2:33 pm

LK you are most cerainly of the same opinion as me.
The world of tennis will be a poorer place without him but my opinions are based more on what he doesnt say than what he does. He has admitted that hcs have done a lot of damage to him physically, and that he hopes to make his comeback on clay ..really to every follower of today´s tennis this should not come as a surprise. Will he ever regain his place in the top four ?? it is a ponderable that Im reluctant to consider. But ever since that loss to Rosol the whole tennis world has had a pessimistic view of Rafa´s chances.
But there is one thing I think we can all be assured of... when Rafa walks out on court (whatever that court might be) he will give it everything he has because he does not know how to play it differently. So for him to admit the chance of failing before he enters AO is, to me, he is saying if I cant give it my best shot then I will not play.

For him to even have doubts over his participation in the DC is leaving me with ?? 2010 was Rafa´s year and he gave it 100% and then some. How much pain that man has been in since we will never know. But however he performs physically I believe mentally it will take him some time, if ever, to regain that confidence and strength he had. Yes I know Im being pessimistic but Im am also being a realist. He is only 26yrs old we know but he is an old 26 in tennis terms.. he has been a professional since his early teens.. a long time in his tough business playing his style of tennis. I sincerely hope Im wrong.. because tennis wont be the same without him or at least until someone can become as enigmatic, exciting and as talented as he is. Dont hold your breath Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Dec 2012, 2:43 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Nadal doesn't have OCD imo, he may have superstitions or he may have delaying tactics, calling OCD is the same stunt as claiming a naughty kid have ADHD when actually they're just an ignorant brat.

Nadal neither has OCD nor is he superstitious. He just has some brilliant techniques for dealing with high pressure situations. And bogbrush you should be a politician with the way you juxtapose two entirely different situations in an attempt to link Nadal with an "ignorant brat".

legendkillarV2 wrote:

For me if Rafa is infact missing the AO, then jeez Ferrer must be fancying a crack at the number 4 ranking. Recently voted Spanish player of the year and if Nadal falls down to 5, that would be his lowest ranking in 7 years! That is a massive change in tennis in general when one of the most prolific players of this generation could be starting on a downwards decline. I hope that isn't the case, but the longer he stays off, the harder it will be for him to comeback.

Can we not look at the permitations of the tennis world and what opportunities this opens for other players instead of the tireless time wasting bashing debate that drags on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Well of course Nadal will slip down the rankings if he only played for half the year! In that time the permutations of the tennis world did change and a few opportunities did open up for other players. Federer and Murray in particular took full advantage of these opportunities. But before you get too sad about Nadal's downward slide or too happy about future opportunities opening up for other players remember that the last time Nadal played he was the best player of 2012 (number one in the race).

Haddie-Nuff

Please take off those doom tinted spectacles...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Dec 2012, 2:49 pm

HE

Then dont read my posts... I have my opinions (and we ALL know you certainly have yours).I voice them..take it or leave it as we have to when we read your "optimistic opinions" of Murray

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Dec 2012, 2:55 pm

Well of course Nadal will slip down the rankings if he only played for half the year! In that time the permutations of the tennis world did change and a few opportunities did open up for other players. Federer and Murray in particular took full advantage of these opportunities. But before you get too sad about Nadal's downward slide or too happy about future opportunities opening up for other players remember that the last time Nadal played he was the best player of 2012 (number one in the race).

That as we both know is a rather misleading statistic of the whole season in general Wink

I am not happy about Nadal's decline. Thing is this is what his detractors wanted but also what many pro's have been saying for a long time. The guy has been on tour for 10 years and for me he has got the most out of his body as possible. This is the whole thing I find disappointing is that with this misfortune of injury which looks like to have had quite the serious effect has been welcomed quite muted. I know Federer, Djokovic and Murray have wished him well and want him back on tour. Whether he can or not remains to be seen. You forget not played since Wimbledon. That is nearly 6 months. If he misses the Masters events in America before the Clay season would equate to 9 months off court. That is a long long time to expect anyone to comeback and fire on all cylinders immediately. I think you need to be a little bit more realistic. Say he plays Clay and Wimbledon and misses the remainder of the season, what rythym and match practice would he have gotten?

Now Rafa can remain competitive on Clay. However, how gloryifying is that as an option? Becker called it a day when stopped winning as did Sampras. The fact Rafa would sooner play Clay than call it a day suggests he has a loyalty and commitment to the sport. But being a spectator for the HC and possibly Grass may prove all too much for him to live with.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:18 pm

Haddie-nuff

Ha ha! I give my "realistic" opinions about Nadal... and Murray. But I thought you were a Nadal fan and deliberately thought the worst about Nadal in order to protect yourself from disappointment? You of course have your own opinions but perhaps for your own reasons you are not being realistic?

legendkillar

If Nadal has recovered from his injury then personally I see no reason why he can't return to where he left off. I agree with you about seeing nothing glorifying about Nadal winning minor clay tournaments in South America. I very much doubt that he would either.

Oh and if the Wink was because the first half of the season includes some clay. It also includes hardcourt and Nadal was in the AO final having beaten Federer in the semi's. He also made Djokovic work quite hard in the final too... and then beat him in the next three finals they played.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:26 pm

hawkeye wrote:Well of course Nadal will slip down the rankings if he only played for half the year! In that time the permutations of the tennis world did change and a few opportunities did open up for other players. Federer and Murray in particular took full advantage of these opportunities. But before you get too sad about Nadal's downward slide or too happy about future opportunities opening up for other players remember that the last time Nadal played he was the best player of 2012 (number one in the race).
Hilarious stuff! Laugh

Desperate, but hilarious.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:28 pm

If Nadal has recovered from his injury then personally I see no reason why he can't return to where he left off. I agree with you about seeing nothing glorifying about Nadal winning minor clay tournaments in South America. I very much doubt that he would either.

Because it doesn't work that way no matter how talented the player is. Look at Delpo. Was ranked 4 in the world and missed 9 months and fell out of the rankings and took him a year to get back to anywhere near his best. His power declined because of the nature of his injury and took an age for the rythym to comeback and also to adjust his play. Now Rafa is lucky to an extent in terms of the points he would lose, but still the performance levels will no way be in the same league before he left off. His main asset being stamina and speed is going to be affected massively by this latest injury. It will take time for any adjustments to really kick in. It doesn't click like that. He would've spent ages getting used to the adjustments because it is clear he needs to if he is avoiding the HC's. In a match situation is entirely different to practice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

HE Im not sure what you consider to be realistic.. Im not trying to save myself from disappointment at all.. I speak not just as as Nadal fan but as a fan of tennis. And my opinions are based on just that. I think Im reading the signs a whole lot better than you. Try listening to the man an not the press or Uncle T. I would suggest it is you that is being unrealistic where Nadal is concerned.
However
It is your consideration that you are realistic when it comes to Murray..REALLY !!!!???
Im sure you are aware that there is a very fine line that divides a realist and a cynic... you cross over that line on many occasions where Murray is concerned imo Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:39 pm

i wonder what other players have had quite long injury breaks and have come back to be back in the big time.
I think Agassi dropped to outside the top 100 with his wrist injury, drug problems and lack of motivation in 1997 and by the next year rose to no5 or something.
any other examples?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:54 pm

Connors had wrist surgery when he was 38 and went down to 950+ in the world, playing only 3 matches in 1990. By Feb 1992, when he was 39 and a half, he was back in the top 40.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

legendkillarV2

Nadal isn't Del Potro! Missing 6 months will mean losing fitness and maybe confidence (and ranking points...) but it will have little effect on skill. Nadal can't avoid the hard courts as two slams are played on them but he can be wise with his schedule. I doubt he is going to change his game much apart from being a little more aggressive (he was doing that in the half year that he played compared to 2011). As far as "match situations" go Nadal has a little experience in that department to draw on.

But we shall all see soon enough... Can't wait. You can say a lot about Nadal (and people do...) but you can't say his career isn't dramatic!

Haddie-nuff

I base my opinions on what I see not on what people say. I am not looking for hidden meanings behind statements about when Nadal will return. Before the injury Nadal was playing better than he was in 2011 and any confidence issues he may have had with Djokovic had been resolved. As long as he returns fit why can't he get back to where he was. And why are you trying to argue with me about a completely different topic?

bogbrush

I presume your laughter means you don't agree that Nadal was the best player for the first half of 2012?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next