The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2020 to be Hosted in Multiple Cities

+7
Riggs
spencerclarke
Crimey
Dave.
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
11 posters

Go down

Euro 2020 to be Hosted in Multiple Cities Empty Euro 2020 to be Hosted in Multiple Cities

Post by Duty281 Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20631963

So basically, UEFA kill off another bit of football tradition. Euro 2020 will not be a national festival for one country - think England in euro 96 or Portugal in 2004 - it will be spread across the continent. Will be very expensive for the fans.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Euro 2020 to be Hosted in Multiple Cities Empty Re: Euro 2020 to be Hosted in Multiple Cities

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:35 pm

The most ridiculous idea ever sanctioned that i can remember. Mr Platini needs a good kick in the skull maybe it will set him straight
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Euro 2020 to be Hosted in Multiple Cities Empty Re: Euro 2020 to be Hosted in Multiple Cities

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:03 pm

im sorry but this is an awful idea!

Platini is losing the plot!

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:32 pm

And for Uefa 2024 we are going to have home and away games Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 pm

This is ****ing stupid
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I....kind of like this. Need to see how it works, though.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the idea which I think kills one of the most interesting aspects of the tournament in which we get to absorb another European's culture. However I'm willing to give it a chance, as it could possibly work.

The main issues are of course that teams will have to travel further, with possible advantages for teams as one might have had a game in England and then Scotland, while the team they're playing might have to have come from Paris. The other issue is that it's a real pain to organise as you could have different bits of home advantage, at least when one country hosts, only one country has home advantage, surely in this tournament it has to be organised so countries will never play in their own country.

On the other hand, it means the quality of stadia could improve with the best from around Europe all being used, in that respect it should be more cost-effective as well as no countries' FA will have to build new stadiums or facilities. From an English point of view as well, I could see Wembley being used for the final and possibly other big games as UEFA do seem to be fond of the stadium, picking it for a few Champions League finals now, arguably the biggest game in club football.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 am

You just get the feeling that never again will a country like the Ukraine get an opportunity to put it's mark on the footballing map and bring its stadium into the present.

One of the things I love about the euros is learning all about a new country. The big stadiums in the big countries will get all the games.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 am

CF wrote:im sorry but this is an awful idea!

Awful Idea for the everyday person then yes but for business then no. Remember, things like these are based on making money in any way possible.
The paying fan is always, or at the very least, the usual target of the businessmen. As paying fans you'll never be respected as a person nor
truely listened to unless they see another money making idea.

Platini losing the plot...likely however he can also be seen as a businessman himself seeing opportunity that goes against the true and faithful supporter.
Fooling the fans in all ways left, right and centre. I wonder if tradition means anything to them.......actually I reckon not.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 am

Now confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21203253

I agree with what Crimey said here:

I'm not a huge fan of the idea which I think kills one of the most interesting aspects of the tournament in which we get to absorb another European's culture.

Each tournament had its own flavour, atmosphere and identity before. Now, not so much. Hope it doesn't work and just becomes a one off.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 am

Does anybody know when the cities involved will be decided upon?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 am

Mix it up. Fine by me..

Hopefully we will get a game or two at wembley and the MS.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Why don't they scrap the qualifiers and have a straight knock out compitition over 2 legs including every euro nation! No seedings, just luck the draw!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:40 pm

VDT wrote:Why don't they scrap the qualifiers and have a straight knock out compitition over 2 legs including every euro nation! No seedings, just luck the draw!

clap

the money men would hate that of course(no garranteed match ups ..... but in principle great idea

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Riggs wrote:
CF wrote:im sorry but this is an awful idea!

Awful Idea for the everyday person then yes but for business then no. Remember, things like these are based on making money in any way possible.
The paying fan is always, or at the very least, the usual target of the businessmen. As paying fans you'll never be respected as a person nor
truely listened to unless they see another money making idea.

Platini losing the plot...likely however he can also be seen as a businessman himself seeing opportunity that goes against the true and faithful supporter.
Fooling the fans in all ways left, right and centre. I wonder if tradition means anything to them.......actually I reckon not.

Spot on.

It will be good for UEFA, the sponsors (more coverage across more countries) and the various businesses (travel companies, hotel chains etc.) but as usual the fans will bear the brunt with much higher travel and accommodation costs...probably higher ticket prices too.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down