The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015?

+15
Bathman_in_London
Luckless Pedestrian
GunsGerms
Scrumpy
nobbled
Portnoy's Complaint
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
Cyril
mystiroakey
Biltong
Pot Hale
Hound_of_Harrow
majesticimperialman
blackcanelion
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which games shoul;d be played at the Millenium Stadium?

Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_lcap13%Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 6 ]
Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_lcap9%Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_lcap49%Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 22 ]
Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_lcap29%Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 45

Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Empty Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015?

Post by blackcanelion Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:30 pm

Which games should be played in Wales during the 2015 world cup. It's question that will vex the organising committee. With Wales in the same group as England and one of the largest grounds in Wales the option may be there.

My feeling is none of the pool A games should be played in Cardiff. The reason being the bid was granted to England and it would be unfair to competing nations. Cardiff was awarded as a destination to cater for English fans in the south west (or so the story goes). Given the make up of the England 2015 committee (which includes the departing ARU president don't be surprised if neither England vs Wales and Wales vs Australia are played there.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by blackcanelion on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling grammar)

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Empty Re: Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015?

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:47 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Which games should be played in Wales during the 1015 world cup. It's question that will vex the organising committee. With Wales in the same group as England and one of the largest grounds in Wales the option may be there.

My feeling is none of the pool A games should be played in Cardiff. The reason being the bid was granted to England and it would be unfair to competing nations. Cardiff wadded as a destination to cater for English fans in the south west (or so the story goes). Given the make up of the England 2015 committee (which includes the departing ARU president don't be surprised if niether England vs Wales and Wales vs Australia are played there.

Your thoughts?

I totaly agree with that 100%. No pool game from the start should br played out side of Twickenham. In my opinioin

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015? Empty Re: Which games should the Millenium Stadium host in 2015?

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 09 Dec 2012, 12:14 am

"Which games should be played in Wales during the 1015 world cup."

For that era the Saxons v the Picts would be a good 'un.
Smile

I think the IRB/2015 organising committee should nominate a 'home' stadium for each of the top four seeds during the pool games.

Such as:-

New Zealand - Old Trafford.

South Africa - Millenium Stadium.

Australia - Twickenham Wink

France - Olympic Stadium.

This will at least give the fans of those teams a 'base' and will minimise travelling. They are likely to be some of the best supported teams too.

It should be fairly easy to have pool games not involving the seeded teams at stadia nearby with good transport links.

The venues for the quarters, semis and last two games will be decided beforehand anyway.

Would that work?

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:22 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:Which games should be played in Wales during the 1015 world cup. It's question that will vex the organising committee. With Wales in the same group as England and one of the largest grounds in Wales the option may be there.

My feeling is none of the pool A games should be played in Cardiff. The reason being the bid was granted to England and it would be unfair to competing nations. Cardiff wadded as a destination to cater for English fans in the south west (or so the story goes). Given the make up of the England 2015 committee (which includes the departing ARU president don't be surprised if niether England vs Wales and Wales vs Australia are played there.

Your thoughts?

I totaly agree with that 100%. No pool game from the start should br played out side of Twickenham. In my opinioin

Agree with what incorrect bit 100%? The myth he's created that the Millennium got given games to appease the South West, or as you say every pool game should be played in Twickenham (ie, inclusive of Pacific 1 and qualifier)?

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 09 Dec 2012, 2:26 am

It's obvious that Millennium was awarded as a bit of horse trading to get additional votes and secure the bid. Having said that the tournament is run by a committee that contains a mixture of reps from national rugby unions. I think they'll struggle to get support for Welsh games at the ground, especially given the home nation is in the pool.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 09 Dec 2012, 2:53 am

Simplest solution would be to make the Millennium the home base for Pool D which includes Ireland. They regard it as their home from home in the UK, and enjoy winning there during Six Nations. Since they played there first in 2001, the Irish have won four or five times. It's a short hop across by ferry, and you'd get lots of fan numbers.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 09 Dec 2012, 3:12 am

I think if Wales get to play at MS against the two teams ranked below them it is enough, any other matches should be played at what can bedeemed a neutrall venue for them, you can't have France, Wales, Scotand, Ireland and England all get "home venues" for important matches, it would simply not be a fair tournament then.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 09 Dec 2012, 3:24 am

Biltong wrote:I think if Wales get to play at MS against the two teams ranked below them it is enough, any other matches should be played at what can bedeemed a neutrall venue for them, you can't have France, Wales, Scotand, Ireland and England all get "home venues" for important matches, it would simply not be a fair tournament then.

How could France, Scotland, Ireland get home venues? None of the locations are home venues for them. No more than NZ stadia were for SA or Australia.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 09 Dec 2012, 3:45 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Biltong wrote:I think if Wales get to play at MS against the two teams ranked below them it is enough, any other matches should be played at what can bedeemed a neutrall venue for them, you can't have France, Wales, Scotand, Ireland and England all get "home venues" for important matches, it would simply not be a fair tournament then.

How could France, Scotland, Ireland get home venues? None of the locations are home venues for them. No more than NZ stadia were for SA or Australia.
Exactly my point. It is a tournament hosted by England, hence they should be the only country. If Wales get home tests, then everyone else can climb on the bandwagon and say they want as well as they are in close proximity. Much like the 2007 RWC.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:34 am

I went for none of the games invloving wales.

For fairness- But personally I am not really bothered,

Imagine the scenrio.. RWV in Aus but NZ get to play some games at home...

Thats not gonna stick is it!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:18 pm

I think they should tell everyone Wales are playing in the MS. Then, when all the fans are in there, lock the doors and play the 2003 final on a loop (with regular breaks for some Ashton swan dive clips as GSTQ blares in the background).

It might work once! Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:56 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I went for none of the games invloving wales.

The Australian World Cup in 2003 was meant to be co hosted with NZ, but for some reason that I can't remember (arguments I think) it was taken off NZ. If it had gone to plan then NZ probably would have played at home.

Anyway, from this welsh fan I think none of Wales' games should be played at the MS. Like someone suggested, put another group there, e.g. Ireland's group.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:00 pm

co hosting happens. this isnt a co hosted event and neither was that one. If its a co hosted event them the each host play at there individual homes..

However.. In other sports that have been doing WC's alot longer , co hosts are allways split up into different groups, hosts are allwaystop seeds..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

None of the pool A games should be played there. But it is a good rugby stadium so the RWC organisers should make some use of it. And didn't Wales get some contract signed that if any of the home nations hosted a world cup, games would be played at the MS?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

£1.4 million reasons say Wales will have the Australia game in the Millennium.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:37 pm

good luck getting it view..

If i was Aus i wouldnt be letting it happen!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:43 pm

Aus won't have much say on the matter, also knowing Aus they will love it because that means they can beat both England and Wales at home.

Australia just like their Southern Hemisphere counterparts love rising to a challenge.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:46 pm

I have a feeling your gonna play the weaker teams at the MS and thats it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

mystiroakey wrote:good luck getting it view..

If i was Aus i wouldnt be letting it happen!

The ARU are very unhappy about the idea. They were in 2007 aswell.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:49 pm

not suprised mogs..

Thats what organisations do pre WC- its not really about the players or what they think(i doubt they would mind) Its about the whole ARU set up wanting fairplay and helping there chances in anyway possible.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:54 pm

Obviously what i say is pure speculative as a fan from the outside but Rodger Lewis is one slipper eel and i reckon he will get his way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Obviously what i say is pure speculative as a fan from the outside but Rodger Lewis is one slipper eel and i reckon he will get his way.
Is a slipper eel like a trouser snake? Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:58 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
viewtothegym wrote:Obviously what i say is pure speculative as a fan from the outside but Rodger Lewis is one slipper eel and i reckon he will get his way.
Is a slipper eel like a trouser snake? Laugh
So many jokes so little time Smile but Cyril you stick to your BBC fantasy's

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 09 Dec 2012, 9:02 pm

mystiroakey wrote:not suprised mogs..

Thats what organisations do pre WC- its not really about the players or what they think(i doubt they would mind) Its about the whole ARU set up wanting fairplay and helping there chances in anyway possible.

Yep, fairplay. But Wales needs to host some games, the MS needs the revenue as we would miss out on 3/4 autumn internationals. Like I said I think the MS will host some games due to a contract being signed back in 1999, but I wouldn't want to see any Pool A games there.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:31 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:not suprised mogs..

Yep, fairplay. But Wales needs to host some games, the MS needs the revenue as we would miss out on 3/4 autumn internationals. Like I said I think the MS will host some games due to a contract being signed back in 1999, but I wouldn't want to see any Pool A games there.

I agree. I have to say though. Almost everyone loses home revenue in a world cup year. Stadiums in Ireland, Scotland, France and Italy also lose out. The SH nations lose relatively more as they lose the summer tour and usually also have a truncated RC.

I can see the ARU and other nations fighting any games that involve Wales being held at the stadium.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Dec 2012, 6:58 am

TBH i will be very suprised if England lose revenue in 2015- i think we can make a very nice profit tbh!

Remember that NH teams probally lose revenue during the lions year anyway..

We run tight ships over here(well england and possibly wales). Good business it is, the WC years dont affect us that much. But running it at home will probally boost our revenue.. We should fill the stadia's for the WC and also max out on tv revenue- due to the fact that the NH and SA are in our time zone..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:57 am

Griff wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:I went for none of the games invloving wales.

The Australian World Cup in 2003 was meant to be co hosted with NZ, but for some reason that I can't remember (arguments I think) it was taken off NZ. If it had gone to plan then NZ probably would have played at home.

Anyway, from this welsh fan I think none of Wales' games should be played at the MS. Like someone suggested, put another group there, e.g. Ireland's group.

I don't think it matters whether we are at the MS or not. We would make any stadium feel like home with the amount of support we have compared to an overseas country.

Playing a home game against England in London worked out well for us last time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:07 am

mystiroakey wrote:TBH i will be very suprised if England lose revenue in 2015- i think we can make a very nice profit tbh!

Remember that NH teams probally lose revenue during the lions year anyway..

We run tight ships over here(well england and possibly wales). Good business it is, the WC years dont affect us that much. But running it at home will probally boost our revenue.. We should fill the stadia's for the WC and also max out on tv revenue- due to the fact that the NH and SA are in our time zone..
To be honest, time zones has never bothered me when it comes to test rugby. I watch them all.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:17 am

If you were a kiwi Bilt- would you watch a wales v scotland match??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:36 am

I suspect. No I'm confident that a head of steam will build up about this issue until the fixtures are announced and when they are, the boiler will burst like a steam locomotive.

6-0-6 in trainspotting circles would be an engine with twelve bogeys, twelve trailers and no drivers.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

I appreciate that the MS was part of the bid - but does anyone have details of the bid? Did it state Wales would play there at any point in the WC or just play"host" at MS - in other words just supply the venue?

I can't seem to find any real detail anywhere - lots of perhaps and maybe's and people stating their "belief" (guessing) but no facts.

Anyone got any facts?
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm

Nah, we don't deal in facts on here! Rumour, belief and supposition are the lifeblood of 606v2. Much less fun arguing about facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:43 pm

Griff wrote:Nah, we don't deal in facts on here! Rumour, belief and supposition are the lifeblood of 606v2. Much less fun arguing about facts.

Cool - it proves my theory - it is all a Welsh conspiracy to deliberately spoil what little chance England had of winning the WC! Secretly they have the Aussies on-side and England will play both Australia and Wales at the MS.
Probably in that god awful pink....
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm

I wondered who would blink next.
Aus want a blanket ban on Wales playing in Cardiff for all of their pool games.

I can't say I disagree with them, but It would be madness to expect several thousand Welsh fans to have to travel all over the country for all of their games.

England v Wales should be a twicks and Wales v Aus should be at Old Trafford and the rest in Cardiff in my view.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

I don't see what's wrong with making us travel all over England. It's an English World Cup. If it was an Irish World Cup I'd expect to travel all over Ireland, same if it was in South Africa. Just because we're close in distance I don't think should mean we get to play games at home.

However, feel free to use our stadium for other things. It's lovely.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:"Which games should be played in Wales during the 1015 world cup."

For that era the Saxons v the Picts would be a good 'un.
Smile

I think the IRB/2015 organising committee should nominate a 'home' stadium for each of the top four seeds during the pool games.

Such as:-

New Zealand - Old Trafford.

South Africa - Millenium Stadium.

Australia - Twickenham Wink

France - Olympic Stadium.

This will at least give the fans of those teams a 'base' and will minimise travelling. They are likely to be some of the best supported teams too.

The best supported team outside of the UK will obviously be Ireland given the amount of Irish in the UK and its proximity to the UK. Given that no games will be played in Dublin I hope that Ireland games are all played in London because of the amount of Irish there. Shame we got France again though, I think we would have a better chance v Australia or South Africa.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm

VictorU3 wrote:I wondered who would blink next.
Aus want a blanket ban on Wales playing in Cardiff for all of their pool games.

I can't say I disagree with them, but It would be madness to expect several thousand Welsh fans to have to travel all over the country for all of their games.

England v Wales should be a twicks and Wales v Aus should be at Old Trafford and the rest in Cardiff in my view.

Not sure why Australia care, they have just beaten Wales 7 times in the space of just over a year including a number of times in the Millennium stadium. Surely they feel confident enough to beat Wales anywhere.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:21 pm

None of Wales's games should be played at the Millennium Stadium. No side other than the hosts should enjoy home advantage.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:None of Wales's games should be played at the Millennium Stadium. No side other than the hosts should enjoy home advantage.

I completley agree. I think if it is to be used at all it should be for games in a different pool, Ireland vs France etc. Having said my concern is that the few games in 07 which were outside France seemed very poorly attended. I hope the organisers really push to get the crowds in for all the games,especially as the games will be all around the country but the vast majority of overseas fans will be London based.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:58 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

The best supported team outside of the UK will obviously be Ireland given the amount of Irish in the UK and its proximity to the UK. Given that no games will be played in Dublin I hope that Ireland games are all played in London because of the amount of Irish there. Shame we got France again though, I think we would have a better chance v Australia or South Africa.

Yeah its quite obvious why that would be the case when you consider the number of people who attend rugby gams in France and the proximity of France to London

Of course theres huge exile SA and NZ communities in London too, not to mention the club London Sarasoutharicans

Samoa should play their games in Leicester, most of the side will be staying over at the Tuillagi house anyway.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Dec 2012, 3:00 pm

well part of ireland is the UK anyway== but yeah i am just splitting hairs..

Anyway there are loads of aussies and kiwis in the city and france is just next door and all!!

Best place to hold a RWC.. gonna be great

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:00 pm

Griff wrote:Nah, we don't deal in facts on here! Rumour, belief and supposition are the lifeblood of 606v2. Much less fun arguing about facts.

Here is an article from when the RFU won their bid to host the RWC 2015...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/28/england-world-cup-rugby-union-2015

The 2015 tournament will run from 4 September to 17 October, when the final will be played at Twickenham. Other matches will be staged in 10 cities and 12 grounds across the country including Wembley, Old Trafford, the Emirates Stadium, Anfield and the Millennium Stadium, which is the only venue being used outside England.

The last time England hosted the tournament was in 1991, when Will Carling's team were beaten in the final by Australia. Since then, rugby union has turned professional and the World Cup has developed into the globe's third biggest sporting event.

Hosting the 2015 Rugby World Cup is estimated by Deloittes to be worth £2.1bn to the British economy. The tournament forms a central plank of Britain's so-called "decade of sport", which also includes the 2012 Olympics, the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, the 2014 Commonwealth Games and potentially the 2018 Fifa World Cup.

World Cup 2015: the host grounds

The 2015 Rugby World Cup in England will run from the opening match on 4 September to the final at Twickenham on 17 October. The RFU expects to sell 2.8million tickets for the tournament, with matches to be played in 10 cities across England and Wales.

Twickenham (London) – The home of English rugby hosted the 1991 World Cup final. Capacity: 82,000. Matches: Final, both semi-finals, one quarter-final, pool games.

Wembley (London) – England's biggest stadium, which is to host two Saracens matches this season. Capacity: 90,000. Matches: One quarter-final, pool games.

Emirates Stadium (London) – Arsenal's new stadium has never staged a rugby match before. Capacity: 60,432. Matches: Bronze-medal match, pool games.

Millennium Stadium (Cardiff) – The only stadium being used outside England. Capacity: 73,350. Matches: Two quarter-finals; pool games.

Old Trafford (Manchester) – Manchester United's ground staged Argentina v England this summer. Capacity: 76,100. Matches: Pool games.

St James' Park (Newcastle) – Newcastle's stadium takes the tournament to the north-east. Capacity: 52,387. Matches: Pool games.

Anfield (Liverpool) – Liverpool's ground staged warm-up games before the 1999 World Cup. Capacity: 45,000. Matches: Pool games.

Elland Road (Leeds) – Leeds United's ground is more used to staging Test rugby league. Capacity: 40,204. Matches: Pool games.

St Mary's Stadium (Southampton) – Southampton's ground has staged international football before and will represent the south coast in the bid. Capacity: 32,689. Matches: Pool games.

Ricoh Arena (Coventry) – Has hosted the EDF Energy Cup final and Heineken Cup fixtures. Capacity: 32,500. Matches: Pool games.

Welford Road (Leicester) – The home of Leicester Tigers is currently being developed into England's biggest club rugby ground. Capacity: 30,000 (projected). Matches: Pool games.

Kingsholm (Gloucester) – One of the most atmospheric grounds could be expanded by 2015. Capacity: 18,000 (projected). Matches: Pool games.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:03 pm

From another Article in the telegraph 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/5317886/Wales-back-England-bid-for-Rugby-World-Cup-2015.html

The Group Chief Executive of the WRU, Roger Lewis, said: "I am delighted to be able to confirm that Wales will play a major role in RWC 2015 if this bid is successful.
"We have a proud history of involvement in the Rugby World Cup and Welsh rugby fans will again be able to support one of the greatest competitions in the sporting calendar.
"Some of the Wales Pool matches would take place at the Millennium, but there could also be Pool stage games involving other major rugby nations such as France or New Zealand.
"The quarter-finals are a critical stage of the cup competition and we know the Millennium Stadium will deliver the kind of rugby atmosphere which will make the game a fantastic spectacle.
"Rugby World Cup matches are watched on television screens in some 70 countries around the globe so Wales will again be showcased on the international sporting stage.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:38 pm

Surely Wales should be based in Oxford and Ireland at reading?

Joking aside is a pity or the politics and wrangling means the Olympic stadium was never an option for this tournament

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:06 pm

Maesteg, the question was whether we had facts about Wales being allowed to play at the MS. All you've posted is about the MS being used. So we're still guessing.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:13 pm

Griff wrote:Maesteg, the question was whether we had facts about Wales being allowed to play at the MS. All you've posted is about the MS being used. So we're still guessing.

Here ya go..!

RFU have obviously changed their mind as they are in Wales' group.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/9549335/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-plan-to-stage-games-in-Premier-League-stadiums-in-jeopardy.html

In contrast to the prospect of England going on their travels, organisers refused to rule out the possibility that Wales would be allowed to play all their pool matches at the Millennium Stadium, already a designated venue.
“There are no restrictions in place on the maximum number (of games they can play there),” Kit O’Connell, head of Rugby World Cup 2015, said.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:32 pm

The Millennium Stadium was part of the bid, just like Welford Road was. Welford Road was cut in the last ditching session. Two more stadium are going in April next year. We don't even know that ANY games would be played there yet. Although the RFU haven't even got the Premier League's agreement for the football grounds yet Doh So there might well be a lot of games at the Millennium.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:36 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:The Millennium Stadium was part of the bid, just like Welford Road was. Welford Road was cut in the last ditching session. Two more stadium are going in April next year. We don't even know that ANY games would be played there yet. Although the RFU haven't even got the Premier League's agreement for the football grounds yet Doh So there might well be a lot of games at the Millennium.

Looks like they want as many games as possible at football stadia to try attract football fans to rugby.

Andy Cosslett said “There is a tremendous appetite to make sure that RWC 2015 gets to as many corners of the country as we can take it.
"We see it as a priority to take it where the battle with Premiership football is the strongest, and the biggest fight on that front is in the north.
"It’s something we have addressed and the RFU is very supportive. There are some northern gentlemen in the RFU these days [chief executive] Mr [Ian] Ritchie and Stuart Lancaster.
"Capturing the attention of non-rugby playing people is part of our mission and will be part of the success or otherwise of this tournament. I’m sure we can do the right thing and get the right games up there.”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm

Yeah, I think the RFU would really like to make more inroads up North, especially around M62. The amateur player numbers are pretty decent up there. But the supporter numbers for Sale, Leeds and Newcastle need some work.

From that article it suggests the Preimer league can't say which stadium can be used when until 2015. That's too late for the IRB. It'll be interesting.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm

Welford Road was cut due to the stadium not meeting the minimum acceptance criteria ....now where have we heard that recently

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next