The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First hole in one - First Shot of the Day - First winter league win!

+9
HiGun
JAS
Slowride
Doon the Water
SmithersJones
super_realist
kwinigolfer
golfermartin
tarka
13 posters

Go down

First hole in one - First Shot of the Day - First winter league win! Empty First hole in one - First Shot of the Day - First winter league win!

Post by tarka Mon 10 Dec - 13:52

Had my first ace yesterday. The club, thank god covered the bar bill.

We had a shotgun start and I was drawn to play the 12th Par 3 first. First smack of the day straight in the hole. Never thought I would get one! finished the day with 44pt (off 17) but won't get cut as winter stuff doesn't count. Asked the club to consider the card for h/c review in January as trying to get down to 12 by end of next season.

Does anyone have any good hole-in-one tales?

Downside was I didn't see the ball go in as I thought it might be long but it was straight in, no bounce as no pitch marks. one of my playing partners had the cheek to look in the hole, I was convinced it has plugged in the rough at the back. It is very difficult to focus after a hole in one I found but held it together for my best ever round.

tarka

Back to top Go down

First hole in one - First Shot of the Day - First winter league win! Empty Re: First hole in one - First Shot of the Day - First winter league win!

Post by golfermartin Mon 10 Dec - 14:04

Congratulations Tarka.

A regular playing partner of mine has had so many that he can't remember how many he's had. One of his classics though was that he played on a Wednesday night 9 hole comp and aced the 11th. The next Saturday playing with me next time he played the hole, he aced it again!

He also had one about 3 weeks ago in a comp on a Sunday and then last Saturday in the frost on Saturday morning as my partner had yet another one (on the 3rd).

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

First hole in one - First Shot of the Day - First winter league win! Empty Re: First hole in one - First Shot of the Day - First winter league win!

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Dec - 14:12

thumbsup
clap
Bubbly

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Mon 10 Dec - 14:22; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Dec - 14:20

Been close a few times, no cigar though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 10 Dec - 17:25

Congrats, Tarka. Not had one myself (yet!) but have seen one. The guy came close on the previous par 3 and then went one better.

Thought of you yesterday as I walked past an abandoned towel in the rough!

SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 10 Dec - 21:01

Well done Tarka.......great way to start a round and congratulations on keeping it together after all the excitement

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Mon 10 Dec - 21:21

no aces for me but as you mentioned the shotgun start i once played in a shotgun where my last hole was a par 3 and nearest the pin

stiffed it to about 4 inches then had to wait for the afternoon shotgun to complete to see if i won the nearest pin prize

not surprisingly no one got inside it

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Dec - 21:27

Yay!!! Well done Tarka Wink Both on the hole in one and holding it together for your best ever round.

I've had one (in a last 16 matchplay match) at the 6th. It seemed to affect the other guy more than me as what had been a tight start, level on 6th tee...turned into a Dog License.

Incidentally, one of our ladies this year achieved the unique feat of now (over a period of time) having hole in one'd all of the par 3's.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Tue 11 Dec - 16:57

well done!!!

I had one a couple of years ago on the 16th at North Wales GC, which is apparently the most holed in one hole in the country.

Anyone who knows the hole will know that you cannot see the hole from the 16th tee but those stood on the 17th and 18th can. So I hit the shot and the groups on 17 and 18 went mad, jumping and hooping and hollering. We knew straight away what had happened...great feeling!!!

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Wed 12 Dec - 9:57

I've only had one whilst out playing on my own. furious

I've seen my mate hit one in, at Lanark many moons ago.

But the best is my other mate, who aced the 18th at Airdrie...235yds up hill in the Wednesday medal last year. Walked off proud as punch with his ace, declaring not bad for 113. He does play off 16, just having a bad day until the ace. clap
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 12 Dec - 10:54

Congratulations tarka. Special moment indeed.

I've had three but didn't see any of them go into hole due to hidden pin positions. The first one was in front of three scottish selectors who did see it go in. However, fat lot of good it did my selection chances so I wouldn't hold out on yon h'cap reduction! Laugh

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 12 Dec - 12:18

gaelgowfer wrote:Congratulations tarka. Special moment indeed.

I've had three but didn't see any of them go into hole due to hidden pin positions. The first one was in front of three scottish selectors who did see it go in. However, fat lot of good it did my selection chances so I wouldn't hold out on yon h'cap reduction! Laugh

Bloomin hard to impress those selectors Gael.
You obviously did not hold your swing pose and look quite bored when it went in.

I remember holing a 5 iron at the second at Longniddry for a two, in front of a fair sized crowd of spectators. I remember saying to my partner 'that must be close as they are all jumping about'.
I also holed a 3 iron second as a young teenager whilst playing with my dad. All I got was a grunt, Scottish golfing faithers are even tougher than selectors!!
Same as you I have had 3, all good shots and watched them all go in. Sounds impressive until I say the last one was in 1974.

Last edited by Doon the Water on Wed 12 Dec - 13:44; edited 1 time in total

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 12 Dec - 13:19

Had one a couple of years ago on our 8th.

Sharp downhill 160yard hole over gorse to a big flat green. Landed 2 ft to the right of the hole, 3 ft hop forward and spun back in. Saw the whole thing. As it's the only one I've had I can't compare to a roll in but spinning it back in looked special.

Added bonus is it was in our President's prize at which his table of beer was 30 yards from that green. He is my winter league partner and the crowd partaking of refreshment was mostly guys that I drink with at the club or in the local pub who all watched it.

I managed to hold it together afterwards and finished +3 (off 7 at the time) for a cut as well. Full range from 1 - 6 on the card as well.

Unlikely as it sounds, same day 13th hole I lipped out for another one and ended up 2ft away.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 12 Dec - 13:35

One of the juniors at our club, playing off 3 or 4 at the time, managed everything from 1 to an 8 on his card one day. Aced the 5th, and pitched in later in the round for an eagle 2 on the 16th.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down