The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Organisers See Sense - At Last

+4
hawkeye
invisiblecoolers
lags72
CaledonianCraig
8 posters

Go down

US Open Organisers See Sense - At Last Empty US Open Organisers See Sense - At Last

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:28 am

It would seem that as from next year the US Open will finally fall into line with the other slams with the finalists each getting a rest day before the finals. The men's semi-finals will still take place on the Saturday but the final will now take place permanently on the Monday with the women's final taking place on the Sunday. At last common sense has prevailed and the calls from the players are at last heard.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

US Open Organisers See Sense - At Last Empty Re: US Open Organisers See Sense - At Last

Post by lags72 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:46 am

Yep, makes sense - although, for many folk, Sunday is a far easier viewing day than Monday

lags72

Back to top Go down

US Open Organisers See Sense - At Last Empty Re: US Open Organisers See Sense - At Last

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 15 Dec 2012, 12:13 pm

Well through time they may realise that by rejigging the schedules and creating a 'Super Friday' with the final being moved back to the Sunday but we know how fiercely the organisers want to keep their precious 'Super Saturday'.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

While the organisers call it a super Saturday , many people called it a Stupid Saturday, yea they made some sense finally but not mature enough to make it a complete sense by pusing men's semi to friday and finals to sunday, may be they are growing up and with time/years they would understand it fully.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm

Fair comment invisible, you're right there.

I think we've all become accustomed to the vast majority of big sporting events/finals being decided at some point over the weekend, and the USO directors really do need to get their act together and fall into line.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:55 pm

invisible coolers I agree with you. The Sunday final is fine it was the "Stupid Saturday" that was the problem. A Monday final just doesn't feel right. Important things don't happen on Mondays do they? Personally I would prefer it if they split the semi's over two days as they do at the AO because although I love watching tennis two 5 set matches in one day can be a bit much... Then play the final on Sunday. This would also mean the Women's final can be center stage on the Saturday. That was another stupid thing about stupid Saturday. Not many have the stamina to watch 2 X 5 set matches + a three set match too!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Dec 2012, 7:53 pm

Agree with HE,

Whilst this is better than stupid saturday it's still a pretty daft solution.

Having the final on a working day is guaranteed to have lower viewing figures.

What they need to do is ensure that the earlier rounds are more condensed so the semis can be played on friday and the final on sunday. It's not rocket science; the other three slams manage it.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:22 pm

emancipator wrote:

What they need to do is ensure that the earlier rounds are more condensed so the semis can be played on friday and the final on sunday. It's not rocket science; the other three slams manage it.

I'd agree with that. It is pretty daft how at the US Open sometimes one of the top seeds has to wait until the third day to start his tournament. Shocked
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:53 pm

The changes were made without consulting the players.

ATP Player Council representative Sergiy Stakhovsky was not thrilled with the schedule changes, tweeting, “Very nice of #USTA to make a Monday final without talking to players....it’s gonna be a good one next year.” The Ukrainian added that he disagrees with holding the first round over three days.

But Murray is happy with the changes

“I’m pleased that the USTA has modified the U.S. Open schedule to include a day of rest between the semi-finals and final,” 2012 U.S. Open winner Murray said in a statement. “Together with the prize money increase, it’s good that they’ve taken on board the players’ concerns.”

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/12/us-open-changes-well-received-players/45696/#.UMzv8ay9G3M

Mmm. So what exactly is the point of a players council? Ha ha. If I was Rafa I might just stomp off...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 16 Dec 2012, 12:53 am

Definitely a step in the right direction in my books. As far as I remember they had always made it clear that the two main options they were considering were to either keep things as they were or to move the final to Monday. It should not come as a surprise that they did not move SF. Between the two main options they were considering, I think they clearly picked the better one.

Poor Stakhovsky - he will now have to stick around for one more day if he wants to win the thing.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 16 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

"Poor Stakhovsky - he will now have to stick around for one more day if he wants to win the thing"

Josh Goodall has more chance of qualifying than Stakhovsky getting that far lol

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 17 Dec 2012, 2:35 pm

However, the ATP are NOT happy. They want the men's semis to be played on Friday which would mean a Sunday final AND the players getting a rest day in between, weather permitting.
But with the US Open totally in thrall to TV that's NEVER going to happen. So this is the best compromise

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:26 am

sirfredperry wrote:However, the ATP are NOT happy. They want the men's semis to be played on Friday which would mean a Sunday final AND the players getting a rest day in between, weather permitting.
But with the US Open totally in thrall to TV that's NEVER going to happen. So this is the best compromise

Hammer meet nail.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down