The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Games of the Week: Week 15

4 posters

Go down

NFL Games of the Week: Week 15 Empty NFL Games of the Week: Week 15

Post by Thomond Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:02 am

Patriots v Niners

I think picking a game this week was actually more challenging then writing the article! There are a host of great games on this weekend, from the Baltimore Ravens v Denver Broncos, the Falcons taking on the Giants and the always intriguing NFC North clash between the Bears and the Packers, but taking all things into account, I chose what I think could in my opinion be a potential Super Bowl clash.

Perhaps surprisingly, I actually haven't wrote about the Patriots this year, from what I have seen of them, they are quite a big improvement over last year's team, they reached the Super Bowl last year, so it comes as no surprise to see some people predict them reaching it again. Yes the AFC is probably a stronger conference, but the Patriots have shown some big improvement in key areas. Their defence was much maligned last year, you can talk about giving up yards when you have a 20 point lead having an effect on the stats and the Patriots are one of those teams who concede yards late on, their offense is so powerful their defence can afford to give up those yards. The Patriots used the off-season to rebuild some of their defence and it seems to have produced some rather good results. Last year, the Patriots allowed an average of 411 yards a game, that left them second from bottom in the league. This year, they have improved this tally to 376 yards a game, that doesn't sound like a massive difference, but those 35 yards a game they have eliminated has helped get their offense back on the field while reducing the points they have conceded. The Patriots are 12th in the league in points conceded per game with 21.1, it's not a massive increase over last year's effort but when you couple that with their improved yardage, it means the defence is looking promising. Moving Devin McCourty to Safety seems to have helped him greatly, he picked off Matt Schaub last Monday night and his ability to recognise the route showed he has adjusted well to the move.

The Patriots have also improved the defence in other areas, their two first round rookies are both playing solid football, I have liked what I have seen of both Dont'a Hightower and Chandler Jones, some have touted Hightower as a potential Defensive Rookie of the Year and while I would disagree with that statement, he has certainly shown he is a smart player and he is improving by the week. Both Jones and Hightower have helped improved the Patriots sacking game, combining for 9 sacks so far this year. The ability to generate turnovers has been key to the Patriots' game. Last year, the Patriots had 34 total turnovers, (23 Interceptions, 11 Fumbles recovered), the Patriots have already equalled that number this year, with a league leading 19 Fumbles recovered from the defence. Chandler Jones has been key here, forcing 3 of his own leading the league in rookies (sharing it with Stephon Gilmore). On offense, the Patriots had a rather lethargic rushing game last year, but things have changed greatly. Spearheaded by Stevan Ridley, the Patriots rushing attack went from 20th in the league with a total of 1,764 yards to 8th overall this year, already surpassing last year's total (1,819 )When you consider the options the Patriots have in the passing game (Do I need to name them? The likes of Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez and Gronkowski are feared around the league), their offense may be the best all round in the league, I don't think anyone can boast the dominance they have shown through the air or on the ground. It's veritable blitzkrieg, they strike quickly and effectively! What may be more encouraging/scary is that over the last 3 games, without Rob Gronkowski, the Patriots have average nearly 38 points a game, that included a 42-14 hammering of the Houston Texans, who were a top 5 team in the league according to many.

Now up in full http://v2journal.com/nfl-games-of-the-week-week-15-new-england-patriots-v-san-francisco-49ers.html

Thomond

Back to top Go down

NFL Games of the Week: Week 15 Empty Re: NFL Games of the Week: Week 15

Post by Thomond Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:16 am

Done: http://v2journal.com/nfl-games-of-the-week-week-15-new-england-patriots-v-san-francisco-49ers.html

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 16 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

Great write up Thomond!

I think this game is going to lay squarely on the shoulders of Kaepernick. The 49ers D will give him enough of the ball, its whether he can keep the turnovers down and put up the points.

The Pats will score less this week because the 49ers linebackers (the Pats target LB matchups with RB's/TE's a lot) are too good to get beat too often.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun 16 Dec 2012, 1:02 pm

Really looking forward to this game. Cracking write up.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 16 Dec 2012, 1:10 pm

I'm deffo staying up for it. No chance I miss it tonight, plus I aint gonna stay up for MNF this week so can deal with the sleep deprivation lol
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 16 Dec 2012, 1:31 pm

I'll stay up for both since I'm now on holiday
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down