The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of 2012..?

+7
thebluesmancometh
MMaaxx
whocares
Cyril
wales606
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
maestegmafia
11 posters

Go down

Team of 2012..? Empty Team of 2012..?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Dec 2012, 9:56 pm

Who would be in your team of 2012?

Here is Planet Rugby's voters suggested xv.

15 Israel Dagg (Crusaders & New Zealand) - With 68% of your votes there was only one winner in our first position as Israel Dagg saw off Leigh Halfpenny for the jersey. Dagg's ability to ghost past the outside shoulder of defenders makes him a rare commodity you obviously appreciate.

14 Bryan Habana (Stormers & South Africa) - Wore 14 in the Rugby Championship and that was the tournament he was at his best in 2012. If rumours are to be believed he could be on his way to Toulon in the near future but for now, the Stormers have a player who mixes hard graft with pace and intelligence. Bryan Habana saw off Cory Jane and JP Pietersen with consummate ease - not bad for a player who missed the entire November international series.

13 Conrad Smith (Hurricanes & New Zealand) - In many people's eyes, Conrad Smith is 2012's top player (we don't argue with such claims). Leading a young and inexperienced Hurricanes side and being his usual faultless self in an All Black jersey, Smith was an easy winner of the 13 slot as he saw off England's Manu Tuilagi with twice as many votes. A true professional who played a big role in developing Beauden Barrett and Julian Savea.

12 Sonny Bill Williams (Chiefs & New Zealand) - He only needed six months. So many pundits were disappointed he left for Japan when he did as Sonny Bill Williams was beginning to grasp the finer points of rugby union, promising continued improvement beyond where he was already at. But, with a Super Rugby championship medal and classy performances in the June Tests, Williams managed to see off Wesley Fofana by ten votes.

11 Julian Savea (Hurricanes & New Zealand) - An outstanding debut season. Julian Savea was joint second in the Super Rugby campaign - just one try behind the co-winners Andre Taylor and Bjorn Basson - but takes our 11 jersey after receiving over half of the votes.

10 Dan Carter (Crusaders & New Zealand) - The man with the highest percentage of votes for a position and also IRB Player of the Year, Dan Carter, has been a cut above the rest this year. While Jonathan Sexton received some support, it was always Carter for your 10 shirt and after his showing in Scotland - one of only nine Tests he played in 2012 - it seems like readers appreciate what he brings. Not bad after an injury stricken 2011 for the maestro.

9 Kahn Fotuali'i (Ospreys & Samoa) - Surprise? Maybe, maybe not. In truth we also had him in our top two contenders at scrum-half. Kahn Fotuali'i was your clear winner though with double the amount of votes of his closest rival Aaron Smith and it is not a shock that several Top 14 clubs across the Channel are apparently vying for his signature. The Osprey has been vital to Samoa this year and will continue to be when World Cup 2015 arrives.

8 Kieran Read (Crusaders & New Zealand) - We imagined it would be a two-horse race for this position but the power of Louis Picamoles was beaten by a good few lengths by Kieran Read. The number eight picked up a handful of man-of-the-match awards wearing black this year while he was exceptional leading the Crusaders when Richie McCaw was out injured. He got 57% of your votes while the Frenchman surprisingly only managed 16%.

7 Richie McCaw (Crusaders & New Zealand) - 65% and with no one coming even close to the All Black means Richie McCaw returns for you after missing out to David Pocock in 2011. McCaw has quietly got the job done for the Crusaders and NZ while others make noise without having achieved anything close to the flank. It says a lot about his commitment that instead of cashing in for six months, he's resting in order to feature at RWC 2015.

6 Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (Toulon & Argentina) - Put simply, he was phenomenal for the Pumas during their debut Rugby Championship campaign. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe switched between blindside and number eight this year and that is why he wears 6 for you, seeing off Dan Lydiate and Chris Robshaw with ease. Honestly, we don't remember a week when Lobbe didn't make our Weekly XV in the southern hemisphere tournament.

5 Nathan Sharpe (Western Force & Australia) - He had to make it didn't he? Nathan Sharpe gave it one last slog for his country during the second half of the year - due to the absence of an injured James Horwill - and gave everything to the Wallaby cause. Fully deserving of his second John Eales Medal as he carried and led admirably for both the Force and Australia. Put your feet up Sharpey, you have earned a fruitful retirement.

4 Eben Etzebeth (Stormers & South Africa) - Was your most-voted second-row by a country mile. 62% of you thought the lock who was only 20 until the end of October was the stand-out in 2012 as he mixed power with dynamism at the beginning of what looks like being a long rugby career at the coal face for South Africa. It wasn't just for the Boks that he shone though as performances for Western Province and the Stormers were exceptional.

3 Dan Cole (Leicester & England) - With 41% of the votes, the ever-improving tighthead managed to see off Owen Franks, Nicolas Mas and Census Johnston here for your number three spot. At 25, Dan Cole is still only a youngster in prop years so fortunately for Leicester and England, his best years are likely to be ahead of him. Next year he has the target of being the British & Irish Lions starting tighthead ahead of Wales veteran Adam Jones.

2 Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs & South Africa) - Bloemfontein has known for a long time how good Adriaan Strauss is and this year the 27-year-old finally had an extended run in the Springbok side. He did not disappoint but only just managed to see off countryman Bismarck du Plessis by 5 votes while Ireland hooker Rory Best was a distant third place. It will be interesting to see who Heyneke Meyer favours when Du Plessis returns in 2013.

1 Sona Taumalolo (Chiefs & Tonga) - Last but not least you guys went for a free-scoring loosehead. Yes, the former Chiefs prop had another exceptional Super Rugby campaign and also backed that up for Tonga. It became rather comical how often commentators mentioned where Sona Taumalolo was standing in the backline so prolific he was in 2012. Nine tries in Super Rugby meant he saw off the likes of Cian Healy and Rodrigo Roncero.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Team of 2012..? Empty Re: Team of 2012..?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 16 Dec 2012, 10:38 pm

Have to say I can't argue too much with that list. Good to see a couple of tier 2 players mentioned
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 16 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm

I don't think Dagg has been that impressive this year. He has played well in a very good NZ team, but not the standout like he was last year. I would have gone with Halfpenny.

I would have put Albecete in at lock for Etzebeth, but that's a fairly close decision.

Fotuali has been good, but Aaron Smith has played better if you ask me

Smith and Carter have been solid but unremarkable this year, Cruden and Ben Smith have shone at times for the All Blacks though.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:12 am

Planet Rugby tend to go to bother of picking a timeframe eg 2012, AIs, World Cup and then pick loads of players on reputation rather than form during that period.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:25 am

yeah they dont seem to bother to watch many games other than SXV and TRC. 3/10 on originality for this SH XV with a token Englishman.
Kudos for including Taumalolo though but mentionning Roncero says it all : a semi retired prop way past his best. Inclusion of Sharpe must also be down to lazyness.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:48 am

It's not about selecting an 'original' 15 but rather the best of the year. Honesty don't have too many complaints about the team.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:45 am

There are a few I wouldn't have mentioned, but the argument against Roncero and Sharpe are unfounded. Both were critical in their nations performances and Sharpe held Aus together this season!!!!

LH could've gone to Healy or Roncero easily, both were superb at int level, but I think Taumalolo was a little washy at times this year, didn't do anywhere near enough in the arm wrestle for my liking, and played a Croft esque style where he just drifted out wide constantly. Any of the 3 couldve been in there!

At hook is the wrong Straus IMHO, HC winner, turned captain was a revelation last season for Leinster!!! Brits has to be mentioned too, and IMO Swarzevsky? club form has been very good!

Can't argue with Cole!

Etzebeth over Albacete or Gray? Both were immense last season (NH time) and Albacete awesome in the RC.

Sharpe was Aus stand out performer by a country mile!

At 6 Lobbe is a great call, Lydiate had a great 6N, but has been injured since, Higginthbottom was looking good, and Alberts always awesome (does he count?) Also want to mention Zanni, IMHO one of the most underrated flankers in the NH!!!

OS has to be Mccaw, followed closely by Armitage at Toulon and Rennie, although Rennies form this season has been less, he was up there with Mccaw last season IMHO.

8 is a tough call, I'm not Reids biggest fan, good player playing unpressured with plenty of time and space, Lobbe is very good at 8 too, Nick Williams at Ulster was immense at times but not consistent enough, and IMO Van Niekerk makes a huge difference at Toulon, Denton has to be mentioned after last season too. Reid by default?

SH Fortuali'i is difficult to argue against, top form for club and country. Genia IMHO was on track to walk this but was injured too early for consideration, Smith has been good and Ulsters Marshall and Parra NH stand outs! Lets not forget Michalak though, in super and Top rugby has pulled the strings beautifully!!

Carter as always flawless (except when sick Run ) Lambie has been ok but not great, Harris would be my pick after his SXV form. But Wilkinson sexton, and Burns have been very good at club level too. Carter performs at both levels though

Savea has been good, but then I'd be good on NZ's wing. IMHO I'd have to have Imhoff for his Metro/Argy form, very few opportunities at both yet puts tries away like the best of them!

IMHO SBW was standout last season but didn't turn out for NZ in the RC by choice, and I havn't seen him play since the move. The likes of Fofana, Mccabe, and Nonu are probably my top 3, with Fofana just nicking it for me!

13, 1 word.... MANU! This season has been the making of him and he has outperformed every opposite number, including Smith, the highly rated and rightfully so Davies, Rougerie and the SA captain JDV.

Opposing wing is difficult, Habana's form has been very good of late, but then IMO Pieterson has been good too, Ioanes form has dipped and Jane has looked strong. IMHO the AI's have seen all of Bowe, Visser, North, Cuthbert and Ashton fall off the pace. I'd probably go for Habana as his form is just above the rest at present.

Fb for me is one of the toughest, Dagg has been good if not spectacular, 1/2p has been Wales saviour, Kearney was top of the pile before injury, Beale moved to 10 and Kirtchner exploded onto the scene and stagnated a touch, and AAS cover has been immense.

1. Taumalolo
2. Straus
3. Cole
4. Grey
5. Sharpe
6. Lobbe
7. Mccaw
8. Reid
9. Fortuali/Michalak (cannot decide)
10. Carter
11. Imhoff
12. Fofana
13. Tuilagi
14. Habana
15. 1/2p (slight welsh bias)

I know a few players are slightly out of posision ie the wings and Mccabe at 12, but had to consider some great form players somewhere!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:24 pm

Pretty much agree with all of that but here are my tuppence worth.

People saying Halfpanny should be ahead of Dagg are having a laugh, he's been looking good for a very poor Welsh team but Dagg is head and shoulders above him. Even when he was off form in the AI's he looked classier.

SBW was at one point probably one of the best players on the planet, gutted he left to go to Japan, but perhaps that just means we only remember the good stuff rather then watch him lose form and fall apart.

Fortuali is a brilliant choice, there are so few good 9's at the moment, all the other options seems to either be able to run quick and not pass, be big and tough but not pass, or pass really well but be crap at everything else. He's the only one that combines nearly all of that regularly.

Taumalolo is another great shout, not just great in the loose but pretty damn good in the scrums as well when he focuses. He is just one of those players that rugby would be all the poorer to not have playing, i'm actually gutted that he left the Chiefs as I don't think he'll do any where near as well at Perpignan where he'll get played in to the dirt and never see the ball.

Savea is lucky to be in there and I think that's really down to lack of other options, yes he's a good strike weapon but his defence is still poor and his positioning is still wonky. He drifts in and out of games too, luckily for him he plays for the AB's though so it's not too much of an issue.

Fernandez Lobbe to me seems to be becoming the new Sergio Perisse (remember him?) looks amazing in a team that is the weakest of the competition but probably wouldn't cut it in a top team. But he plays for the underdogs so ends up getting a myth built up around him out of all proportions. He's a good player but I feel people go a little OTT with him.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 17 Dec 2012, 6:43 pm

Yappy

Just wanted to point out that plenty of players look classy, but being the best in your position, consistantly for the entire year is a different ball game. I could argue that James Hook looks far classier than Dagg and 1/2p but is nowhere near as effective! Plus 1/2p is not just a FB but a match winner, not sure Dagg can say the same this year. Plus I had to shoehorn a welshman in there somewhere!!

Also totally disagree about Lobbe, he is at times a one man recking ball for the Argies, he tackles and carries himself into the ground against allcomers, also Parisse has carried the Italian and Stade pack for years, to ask if anyone remembers him is so disrespectfull.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 6:50 pm

Parrise has always been an outstanding player, he does stand out in a poor team, but he does that by being consistently excellent. At times he has been among the best 8 in the world.

Lobbe stands out in a pretty good team, Argentina performed very well in the 3Ns, and it was Lobbe and Albecete that stood out of a pack that dominated SA at home and matched Australia away from home. Both should be considered amongst the best in their positions.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Dec 2012, 6:53 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Yappy

Just wanted to point out that plenty of players look classy, but being the best in your position, consistantly for the entire year is a different ball game. I could argue that James Hook looks far classier than Dagg and 1/2p but is nowhere near as effective! Plus 1/2p is not just a FB but a match winner, not sure Dagg can say the same this year. Plus I had to shoehorn a welshman in there somewhere!!

Also totally disagree about Lobbe, he is at times a one man recking ball for the Argies, he tackles and carries himself into the ground against allcomers, also Parisse has carried the Italian and Stade pack for years, to ask if anyone remembers him is so disrespectfull.
I would dare to suggest that Andre Taylor from the Hurricanes had a far suprior Super Xv to Dagg, he tore defences apart for breakfast.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:05 pm

Taylor was good (from what I saw of him) or at least I presume it was him, the back 3 of the Hurricanes was sublime at times!!

Didn't see enough of him to claim he was better than Dagg, but no way does he replace my token Welshman!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by proeggchaser Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:16 pm

15 Rhys Priestland' s

proeggchaser

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

Laugh

Ok you can have your Welshman, to be fair he can be quality when he's on form.

Still not sure about Lobbe, yes he can look good and hog the highlight reel but I've seen him make a lot of mistakes as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him solid or reliable, but he can help change a game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:37 pm

Biltong wrote:

I would dare to suggest that Andre Taylor from the Hurricanes had a far suprior Super Xv to Dagg, he tore defences apart for breakfast.

He was very good, but then the Hurricanes style of play suited him, all or nothing no fear attack attack attack. Can he play tactically as well?

And excuse my ignorance but just going by name is he SA?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:41 pm

That team looks exceptionally good,can't argue with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:43 pm

HalfPenny a match winner?! read somewhere the other day he hasn't played in a winning team since march 2012.

Halfpenny should be on the wing where he belongs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm

yappysnap wrote:
Biltong wrote:

He was very good, but then the Hurricanes style of play suited him, all or nothing no fear attack attack attack. Can he play tactically as well?

And excuse my ignorance but just going by name is he SA?
NZ
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:00 pm

Played with Savea and Jane didn't he? I couldve looked a threat in the Canes backline though.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

Well that was boring...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down