The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slams Are Important Therefore The Finals Should Be Played At Prime Time (NOT On A Monday Afternoon))

+5
Danny_1982
User 774433
bogbrush
lags72
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Slams Are Important Therefore The Finals Should Be Played At Prime Time (NOT On A Monday Afternoon)) Empty Slams Are Important Therefore The Finals Should Be Played At Prime Time (NOT On A Monday Afternoon))

Post by hawkeye Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 am

With Roddick's retirement interest in tennis is probably at an all time low in the US. Maybe that is the reasoning behind the re-scheduling of the US Open final to a Monday. This once prestigious event can no longer compete with football, little league baseball or re-runs of 90's sit-coms and has lost its prime time spot on a Sunday. Before they decide to reduce the final to a single tie break set so that it doesn't interfere with more popular day time programs on a Monday perhaps now is the time to look for an alternative venue for the fourth slam? Perhaps somewhere with a long tradition of tennis, somewhere were tennis could take centre stage...

My first thought was Monte Carlo. It's one of the oldest tournaments, it's set in beautiful surrounding that look good on TV and even has a nice trophy that doesn't look like an artistic doorstop or something to serve punch in. But somehow I feel that not everyone would be happy with this choice... So what other tournaments could replace the demoted US Open?

I have changed the title of this article to make the point I was attempting to make a little more obvious. I believe the final will be scheduled to start at 5pm which is more like afternoon than prime time. It will all be out the way before most have returned from work and the schedule will be cleared for re-runs of Friends.

Last edited by hawkeye on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Slams Are Important Therefore The Finals Should Be Played At Prime Time (NOT On A Monday Afternoon)) Empty Re: Slams Are Important Therefore The Finals Should Be Played At Prime Time (NOT On A Monday Afternoon))

Post by lags72 Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 am

Well well hawkeye.... it's just a few short weeks ago that you were questioning the status of the Australian Open, and now you're describing the USO as a "once prestigious event"

There won't be many Slams left for you to slag off at this rate. Or indeed any tournaments. I seem to remember that this time last year it was the WTF that you had in your sights, likening it at one point to an exhibition.........

Meanwhile if it makes you happy .... yes Monte Carlo is truly wonderful in every way. Especially the surrounding views - which is what tennis is all about really ...... Very Happy

lags72

Back to top Go down

Slams Are Important Therefore The Finals Should Be Played At Prime Time (NOT On A Monday Afternoon)) Empty Re: Slams Are Important Therefore The Finals Should Be Played At Prime Time (NOT On A Monday Afternoon))

Post by hawkeye Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 am

lags72

I was sort of defending the US Open (I think) not slagging it off. Also did you see where my favorite match of 2012 took place?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 am

You lost me when it became obvious you want a 2nd clay Slam Rolling Eyes
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:07 am

BB, we currently have 2 hard court slams, do we not?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 am

bogbrush

I did realize that Monte Carlo might not be a popular choice as a replacement. Can you imagine if this happened? In the future when the US Opens status as a slam has long been forgotten Federer would be thought to have only 12 and Nadal would have... well quite a lot.

But the point I was trying to make was about the US Open now scheduling the mens final on a Monday and perhaps the lack of interest in tennis in the States.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 am

hawkeye wrote: .............................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................

But the point I was trying to make was about the US Open now scheduling the mens final on a Monday and perhaps the lack of interest in tennis in the States.

Hmm.....

Not sure just what evidence there is for an alleged "lack of interest in tennis in the States", and more specifically, the US Open.

Certainly plenty of interest according to the official USO organisers website :

"The 2012 US Open, driven by two of the most compelling singles finals in the tournament’s 131 years, was one of the most successful years in the tournament’s history. Total attendance topped 700,000 for the fifth time, finishing at 710,803.

Television viewership of the three-set women’s singles final featuring Serena Williams defeating Victoria Azarenka on CBS Sports was the highest since 2002, with 17.7 million viewers watching all or part of the match. The men’s five-set thriller, in which Andy Murray captured his first Grand Slam victory by defeating Novak Djokovic, was seen by 16.2 million viewers on CBS Sports -- the most viewers to watch a men’s singles final since 2007. This year’s tournament was broadcast in 180 countries around the world and aired on CBS Sports, ESPN and Tennis Channel in the United States."

Methinks you might be making up your own stories, hawkeye....... chin

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 am

HE, the USO final was moved to Monday to keep Super Saturday and to have a gap between the semis and finals.

I don't think it's really a demotion.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 am

A final on a Monday sure feels like a demotion.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 am

As lags said, the men's final was on a Monday this year and yet was still the most viewed in five years.

There is no problem with the US open. It's as prestigious as ever.

Roland Garros is the only slam that does not play night matches, which for me is when tennis is at its most electric. So perhaps we are looking at the wrong slam for demotion?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 am

The ATP opposes the change to a Monday final

"The ATP and its players have made it clear to the U.S. Open that we do not support a Monday final," the governing body for men's tennis said in a statement. "We strongly believe the U.S. Open should keep a similar schedule to the other Grand Slams, with the men's semifinals completed by Friday and the final on Sunday.

"It is unfortunate the U.S. Open response did not reflect our views on this issue and the ATP and its players will continue to pursue this matter in its discussions with the USTA."

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/12/atp-opposes-monday-final-us-open/45705/#.UM-PbKy9G3M

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:57 am

It Must Be Love wrote:BB, we currently have 2 hard court slams, do we not?
No.

No way can the AO be described as "hard", except by the people who don't want to alert everyone to the slow, high bouncing thing it's become.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:05 pm

It's a hard court Erm

Hard Courts can be slow/fast, high bouncing or low bouncing.
Personally as Nadal fan I would prefer clay- it probably benefits Djokovic (who moves best on HC) the best.
I think Nadal moves so well on red clay that he would prefer a fast clay with those speedy babolat balls from FO 2011 more than any hard court.
Federer would probably want fast-medium grass, murray I think wouldn't mind as long as it's not clay.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

What a pointless and crap thread.

I think the only Slam with any prestiege is Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:34 pm

lk.. surely all the slams have prestige ??

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Nah.

None of them do IMBL. Infact tennis is lacking prestige as it seems many lovesack huggers out there seem more content in degrading the sport and it's events and participants than actually focusing in on the current positives exist.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Who are these lovesack huggers?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Why name them and then get banned for it? Erm

Nice try.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

I thought you were talking about the ATP and ITF bosses chin

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Re the OP's question: how about replacing the US Open with another clay tournament with 500 status, such as Barcelona, or why not just the Nadal family championship?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Barrystar, Barcelona wouldn't have the capacity or a Grand Slam tournament.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:25 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Barrystar, Barcelona wouldn't have the capacity or a Grand Slam tournament.

I think that you and I both know that a point based in reality such as that is not what the OP is aiming at, don't we?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Personally I think it's a sad state of affairs that for a sport which originated as Lawn Tennis we have somehow ended up with just five official ATP events played on grass, out of over sixty on the main Tour calendar.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 am

For everyone that was scared about the prospect of a new clay slam I have changed the title of this article. I thought that the point I was trying to make was clear but from the comments I realize the need to be a little less subtle when trying to make a point...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:44 am

So does that mean rain is no longer an excuse for any Slam final moved over? I could just asterix any Slam won on a Monday as non-valid OK

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

legendkillarV2

I think you are just trying to be argumentative as I'm sure you can understand the point I am making.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 am

No HE, your talking your usual garbage in order to glorify the lesser achievements of your favourite player. Reciting the same crap over and over. It is nauseous to say the least.

It is a proactive decision and I could care less for primetime or whatever crap you want to label it.

If you want Rafa to be glorified and respected by the masses it is simple. Win more Slams and cut out the time abuse OK

Can't say much fairer than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:56 am

He's already respected by many, and has won 11 slams.
If you add up every single Grand Slam Trophy won by a British male player since 1920 you still don't get 11 Grand Slams.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 am

hawkeye wrote:legendkillarV2

I think you are just trying to be argumentative as I'm sure you can understand the point I am making.

We all understand precisely the point you are making, it's the same point you make every day. I don't see why you've bothered changing the title of your thread to try to obscure it.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 am

So what do you get from the first ever Slam events?

If you count every Slam won by a British male before 2004 it is more than Nadal Wink

If you want to continue in the downgrading self glorification bumfest, count me out. Boring!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 am

Hawkeye, I can understand the meaning of what you're saying.
However I think you're mistaken slightly.

The decision to move it to a monday final was so that in primetime (saturday) we can have the semis, and also have a days gap.
It wasn't because USO was demoted in some way.

Hope this clears things up.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 am

Changing titles of threads (and then giving the reason for so doing as our inability to understand your allegedly 'subtle' line of thought) does nothing to validate an already flawed, irrational and bias-ridden argument.

In all honesty hawkeye I can't help wondering just how many times you want to shoot yourself in the foot ..... Headscratch

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:18 am

It Must Be Love

At least someone understands what I'm saying!

But with this move the semi's will be played during prime time and the final won't be? I agree there was a need to have a days rest between the semi's and the final. I just don't agree with the solution. Such a prestigious final shouldn't be played when it's more difficult for people to watch. There is a reason why important sporting events tend to take place at the weekend.

To me it looks like the event is not being given the respect it deserves. When it was played on a Sunday wasn't the start time dependent on some stupid football match (sorry football fans... ). Now the Sunday schedule will be clear to put the stupid football on center stage. I reckon it would be easy to play the semi's on the Friday and the final on the Sunday and put the stupid football on Monday. But I bet the stupid football is considered too important to be played on a Monday when no-one can watch. Pfft!

Anyway it isn't just me that objects the ATP do too.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 am

lags72

You shouldn't try and look for hidden meaning when they don't exist!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 am

hawkeye wrote:It Must Be Love

At least someone understands what I'm saying!

But with this move the semi's will be played during prime time and the final won't be? I agree there was a need to have a days rest between the semi's and the final. I just don't agree with the solution. Such a prestigious final shouldn't be played when it's more difficult for people to watch. There is a reason why important sporting events tend to take place at the weekend.

To me it looks like the event is not being given the respect it deserves. When it was played on a Sunday wasn't the start time dependent on some stupid football match (sorry football fans... ). Now the Sunday schedule will be clear to put the stupid football on center stage. I reckon it would be easy to play the semi's on the Friday and the final on the Sunday and put the stupid football on Monday. But I bet the stupid football is considered too important to be played on a Monday when no-one can watch. Pfft!

Anyway it isn't just me that objects the ATP do too.
Well HE I think they've put the semis over the final, in terms of primetime viewing.
I can understand youre frustration, but it's their tournament, they are allowed to tamper with the scheduling.
btw check the 'best shot' thread- I have found a link you'll like Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:27 am

hawkeye wrote:lags72

You shouldn't try and look for hidden meaning when they don't exist!

You could be right there, sounds like good advice.

In fact I'm not sure I should look for ANY meaning in some of your articles.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:48 am

It Must Be Love wrote:He's already respected by many, and has won 11 slams.
If you add up every single Grand Slam Trophy won by a British male player since 1920 you still don't get 11 Grand Slams.

didn't perry renshaw and doherty or something win at least 5 slams each? they were british so that makes more than 11.
don't bring us brits down we have a rich history of tennis, albeit from a long long long time ago Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 am

LS I said since 1920. OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:43 am

they b4 1920? damn myyyy badddd

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 am

Yes.

I only count slams after Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated, apologies for that.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:So does that mean rain is no longer an excuse for any Slam final moved over? I could just asterix any Slam won on a Monday as non-valid OK

Lets be more precise to make HE happy, all slams except for select 11 will be marked as asterix and hence in the history of sport there is only one grand slam champion , lemme see how many guess the champ right? : Whistle

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Bjorn Borg?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Bjorn Borg?

Good attempt, but do you think thats the answer? Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Bjorn Borg?

Good attempt, but do you think thats the answer? Very Happy
Depends.
Is the player you are talking about in the post Kaiser Wilhelm era?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 pm

You never specified which sport IC.
Is it Walter Hagen, the golfer who won 11 majors?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 pm

nadal. next

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:15 am

LuvSports! wrote:nadal. next

Don't leave everyone hanging like that! Nadal next slam winner? Nadal next grand slam winner?

So I take it that the consensus here is that it is no bad thing than one of the four most important (for men) tennis matches of the season gets moved to low peak time because of football? Be careful of the slippery slope...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 am

There is no slippery slope! You're talking nonsense HE.

They didn't want to lose super Saturday, as it is the spectacular event on the men's side and presumably the most lucrative in terms if advertising. They could have moved the semis to Friday, but that would mean SS would be gone.

Therefore they moved the final. It really is quite simple. It's the open protecting what they consider to be the main event, not trying to dilute the tournament.

What do you suggest could be the next thing on this slippery slope? I can't wait to hear your answer.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:41 am

Although the final has been scheduled for Sunday I think it has ended up being played on Monday the last 5 years due to bad weather. Therefore a Monday final is no new thing. It's not ideal but it actually gives them some catch up should there be weather delays earlier in the tournament.

They obviously don't want to give up on Super Saturday. No American Football (at least NFL) that day so better chance of bigger viewing figures.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:56 am

LuvSports! wrote:nadal. next

I will post my next question laters, congrats for getting this one right Very Happy OK

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down